“2013winner Circle trip” 5 of 5 stars

$150 in FREE Dining!
Temecula
“2013winner Circle trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at the Reef Atlantis in the Bahamas for a top performance trip with work. I have no idea the cost of the room, but it was top shelf. Two room sweet that was sweet!!
Food and drinks were way over priced thou. 6.50 for a beer 72 for a buffi breakfast for two. There is a liqueur store near the marina and a store to make your own food. The casino was also very tight.

Room Tip: Two room suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

775 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canton, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Reef allows all the access of the water park amenities and special attractions of Atlantis without all the crowds! We stayed in a Reef Junior Studio suite, which had a king sized bed and pull out sleeper for our girls. The small kitchenette made it easy for a light breakfast, or a quick sandwich in the afternoon. My husband and I enjoyed having a blender, and the easy ability to enjoy a glass of wine with lights crackers and cheese before dinner. The place feels more luxurious than the rest of the Atlantis resort. We also enjoyed that they have a laundry facility on the second floor. The distance to the casino was an enjoyable walk for us after dinner, but some of our friends took advantage of the free shuttle service instead (ladies with high heels do not like to walk great distances). We have teen daughters, so they loved the CRUSH nightclub, while our friends have smaller kids, and they used the Atlantis kids club for childcare that had their kids in cooking classes and feeding marine life!! This is one of the few places on earth where everybody actually got to enjoy the whole vacation-it has lots to do for everyone.

Room Tip: The higher floors that end in the number 2(1802 was our room) have wrap around balconies that allow...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the reef hotel in April 2013...
Service is slower paced... get over it...
Because this is a timeshare/ they don't mind if you bring in a case of beer, gatorade, whatever. Consider hitting a grocery store on the way in to stock up on mundane stuff for breakfast as the All you can eat buffet will set you back 32.00 each! (it's awful good though)
Very clean, Nice beds, don't need to wake up a 5 am and reserve pool seats.
Atlantis is HUGE...
Great service at Cafe Martinique (snapper was to die for), Mesa (just like NYC) and Casa D'angelo. Avoid Virgils if you are a type "a" personality who likes some service... SLOW would be an understatement.
take the DIG walk, and hang out from 9-10am for the fish feeding at the Coral...
Book time here and at the RIU (but you will be disappointed at the RIU - so use your access card to get the use of Atlantis!!!)..

Room Tip: Top floors are best!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
South Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We just returned from a 6 night vacation from 4/12 to 4/18. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite at the Reef with our 14 year old son and 10 year old daughter and had a wonderful time. My son is a difficult customer and gave the hotel and resort 5 stars. He was impressed with the resort and how friendly the staff was. My daughter gave the hotel 4 stars and the entire resort 5 stars. She only gave the Reef 4 stars because she wished the hotel pool had some slides. Of course, that is the view of a 10 year old. My husband and I have the hotel 5 stars. We loved the hotel and the staff couldn't have been any nicer. They were all so sweet and helpful. Having a kitchen was amazing because we were able to make a big breakfast every morning and sometimes lunch if were were back at the room. So here is the low down:

1) The pools and water park are amazing. After the first day, I was a little concerned our kids would become bored with the water park because there are only 8 official rides but they never got tired of them. Plus they never did the Abyss and my daughter never did the Leap of Faith so there were more daring rides they avoided. However, it would be nice if the resort added 2 or 3 more rides. The rapids is a blast and I could have sat in the rapids all day.

2) The resort itself is gorgeous and there are always new sites to see. Just when you think you've seen the entire resort, there are more fish tanks, beaches and lagoons to see. After 6 days, we never got tired of the resort.

3) Crowds - There were 3-4 cruise ships visiting the resort on most days but the resort wasn't nearly as crowded as Universal Studios and Disney World. We've visited both parks in Orlando many times and my kids both said that hands down, Atlantis was much more fun and less crowded. We never waited longer than 10 minutes for a ride. Plus, most pools were never packed and had plenty of empty lounge chairs. The only pool that was truly busy was the pool connected to the Mayan Temple. Even then, I was able to find a chair.

4) Many people said you have to wait in line on a daily basis for wrist bands. We didn't experience this at all. We visited the hut outside the Reef on the first day and were able to wear the same wristbands all week. If you lose your wristband, they will replace it.

5) Towels - there were plenty of huts all over the resort handing out towels. There was never a shortage of towels or a wait to get towels.

6) Restaurants - The worst restaurant was Johnny Rockets. it was somewhat dirty and it was the only time I encountered the staff to be less than friendly. We went off site a few nights to try various local restaurants. The Poop Deck was fun and the view of the marina was amazing. The food was good but average. We also liked many of the restaurants at the Fish Fry. Our favorite restaurant at the resort was by far Mosaic. The buffet offers a wide variety of interesting choices for adults and kids. However, it is a very expensive restaurant but it was a special treat and worth it.

7) We also did the shark walk, deep water dolphin interaction and my husband and son did a day trip where they drove their own submarine and then snorkeled the coral reefs. All of these activities were a lot of fun.

8) Foodstoretogo.com - I read great reviews however our experience was not so positive. I think everything that could have gone wrong with out food order did go wrong. i ordered our food on-line in March and the order never arrived when we checked-in. When I contacted them, they informed me that they never received our order even though they emailed me in March confirming a delivery date and time. They did take a verbal order over the phone once we arrived. They charged us for 2 bottles of wine even though we only ordered 1 bottle and received 1 bottle. They forgot to add butter and limes to order. They also charged us same-day delivery charge but never told me over the phone about the charge. In total, we were overcharged $36. Apparently, the person who processed the order made several mistakes so all issues were corrected and our card was credited for the additional charges. Would we use them again??? Probably not. I spent a lot of time trying to track down our original order and then fixing our final order.Plus, their email and phones were down so it was nearly impossible to get in touch with them.

9) Location of the Reef - The hotel was only a short walk to the Aquaventure and about 15 minutes from Marina Village which is on the opposite end of the resort. We never took a shuttle because we really loved walking different paths to other parts of the resort. However, if you are with small children, I could see it being a little more challenging to get around.

Overall, we loved the resort and the Reef. We would definitely return again but maybe with some other families because I think our kids got a little sick of hanging with their parents. As far as cost, it was comparable to Disney so I didn't have sticker shock. Plus the cost includes the water park and pools.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

It’s waaaaay too expensive! Honestly- the prices were outta control high, to the point where it made things unenjoyable. I recently returned from a week long trip to Atlantis (perhaps that was the problem, going for an entire week!) We were fortunate enough to stay at a friends timeshare in The Reef and got a semi-discounted rate- although it still cost us an arm and a leg! I went with my mother (who is in her 50’s) and myself (I’m in my late 20’s).

We took a cab from the airport to the hotel which took about 30-40 mins and cost a flat rate of $35. Please note- there is traffic surprisingly in Nassau because they are doing a lot of construction. Once we arrived at the hotel, we checked in and immediately made our restaurant reservations. I would suggest making reservations before you arrive if you can because we almost didn’t get one at Mesa (I will talk about this restaurant later). Because we were a “property” owner, we got free wi-fi and other free amenities including free access to the Cove adult’s only pool and the waterslides etc. I looked it up on the website and apparently wi-fi is something ridiculous like $19.95/day- dear hotels everywhere- wi-fi should be free in this day & age!

The room itself was very nice and spacious. There was even a stove, dishwasher, sink, dishes etc. The bathroom was also large but I found there wasn’t too much privacy (what is it with Caribbean islands and open concept washrooms?) Some things that I found annoying about the accommodations were simple things like there not being enough hooks in the washroom to hang towels- there literally was one hook and half of the towels ended up on the floor. Also, every time you left the Reef property or entered you had to show your room key or have a wristband (which you had to replace on a daily basis) I don’t want to have to do this- it’s annoying. I also don’t like having to wait in a large line-up to get beach towels in the morning- there should be separate lines for people who want to do water adventures and those who just want a wristband or towels. Also- when checking in, we were never advised that there was a shuttle that visits each part of Atlantis- that would have been helpful to know considering the walk from the Reef to the Marina is a solid 20 mins. The grounds are huge and confusing to get around.

The beach was wonderful as was the ocean- what wasn’t wonderful was the fact that not all chairs have the covers to shade you from the sun and getting one was hard. I also didn’t like “getting in trouble” for moving my beach chair away from the masses. Finally, if you are looking for an adults-only/no kids day at the beach, you won’t get it. I literally had kids looking under my beach lounge for sea shells… On a positive note, I got wi-fi on the beach!

The Cove is absolutely stunning- if you can afford to stay in this resort you should do it! The adult’s only pool reminded me of the Vegas pool parties- it was fun!! It had an amazing DJ, strong alcoholic drinks (expensive!), servers, day beds in the middle of the pool etc. The busiest day was obviously Saturday. I would always arrive early at this pool but honestly it doesn’t get busy until the afternoon. Here’s a tip- if you want a lounge chair with an umbrella and they are all taken, just ask them to bring you one and they will.

The Royal Towers house one of the aquariums and the casino etc. We usually headed over there at night. The Marina also housed more affordable eating options and at night was pretty packed. Also, you get to see all the crazy big yaughts!

The food- where should I start. We are not big eaters and Atlantis did not really cater to people who don’t eat a lot or who aren’t in a family of 4-6. For breakfast, my mom would usually have a Starbucks and I brought my own granola bars from home. For lunch we would usually get something by the Cove pool or on the beach. Lunch for one person at the Cove was at least $20, add a pina colada and it took you to $34 plus a 15% gratuity. PS- they add a 15% tip to EVERYTHING even if you don’t have a waiter or waitress. If you want water, I suggest you stalk up at the convenience store by the Marina or at the airport before you come- I am serious, water was like $4 a bottle. Some other ridiculous prices include $28 for sun block, $8 for a large bag of Lays potato chips, $3.50 for a can of club soda. The first dinner we had I believe was at the pizza place and for 2 slices of pizza and one coke it came to $20. The next night we tried the buffet in the Cove not even knowing the price. Our bill came and for 2 adults with one glass of wine and tip it came to $150! (I included a photo) That is insane. That being said, the majority of the food and booze we drank was phenomenal. At least you are getting (somewhat) what you paid for. One night we ordered a cheese and meat platter at the bar in the Cove hotel, the Sea Glass- it was $30… and when we asked for extra bread, they brought us toasted Wonder bread- I am not joking. One night we just felt like pasta so we went to Carmine’s. While the food was tasty, this place is family style, meaning that they don’t offer portions smaller than for 4-6 people. We ordered a salad and penne and meatballs which we barely made a dent in. We took it to go and I had it for lunch the next day but honestly it was like 5 pounds of leftovers- what a waste. We also went to Murray’s one day later in the week and we begged to get something off of the kid’s menu- nope. So we ordered a grilled cheese which wasn’t that good. Another place to avoid is Virgil’s BBQ- I had high expectations for this place! We ordered the cole slaw and ribs. The ribs looked pink so we sent them back and they came back pink and dry. We sent them back again and just settled on eating the cole slaw. Also- we ordered a pitcher of Sangria and it was awful. We didn’t even finish it.

Places you SHOULD try for dinner are Mesa- at least the meal was worth the high price tag and the Bahamian Club- steaks were phenomenal. I also have to say that the service at the Atlantis in general was top-notch…honestly. And since you had to pay a gratuity, people weren’t hounding you like they do on other islands.

A few final things- I took American cash with me and ended up just charging everything to the room (sometimes there wasn’t even an option to pay cash). The only thing I used cash for were the taxis and in town. That being said, just wait until you get your final bill- my jaw dropped- $1700 for 2 people, food and booze only for 1 week. That is nuts. This also included a ridiculous $70 a day hotel tax on top of what you have already paid for the hotel.

Would I return to this hotel? Honestly, it was a once in an (expensive) lifetime trip and no I will not be returning.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

When you look at the pictures it certainly looks like paradise but it felt like Disneyland mixed with Vegas. We were a party of 8 adults and two children and paid an unbelievable £40,000 to get there, this also included the meal deal so we thought our holiday was pretty much paid for, how wrong were we! We knew there was a 15% service charge on everything so we were prepared for that. Shame that only one or two of the staff I came across actually deserved that tip! Most of them were so slow and quite miserable. Plainly they looked fed up of working there or just didn't care as they were getting their tip whatever.
The food bills were unbelievable and they didn't let us know that we should book tables in advance. So, for the first week we had to fit in wherever we could. The cafe by the aquarium tank was nice but was very busy during a bad rainy night, there were so many people waiting to be seated, during this time two women were actually punching each other over a queue jumping row!!
It seems that they do not have enough restaurants to cope with the amount of people during the busy season.
Our room was lovely and the maids were very sweet and friendly. We had a problem with a leak in between the two rooms, the carpet was totally drenched. My husband rang down to report this and they said they would send someone up. On my return from the pool I asked at reception if anyone had sorted this but was told no one had reported a problem with that room!! Er yes we had! I also mentioned it to the maid but no one ever turned up. Eventually the carpet dried up but left a vile smell.
During our stay there was a convention, which meant they closed the ruins, the cafe attached for about 3-4 nights. I paid all that money yet I can't use certain areas now! Including one of the pools and it seems you had to be on a VIP list to get into the nightclub.
The children had a whale of a time at the water park, while I enjoyed sitting by the pool. Could do with more waiters around the pool areas, they were few and far between and when you eventually caught one it could take up to 45 mins for them to return with your drink.
The beach was beautiful and my daughter and I spent many happy hours searching for shells. After a few days we searched online to find someone to take us on a tour of the island. We came across Cheryl and Craig Cambridge. Such a lovely bubbly couple, they arranged a great tour for us and we got to meet the real Bahamian people who all seemed fantastic and happy people. Cheryl made us Bahama Mama cocktails to take with us, which were yummy.
While I was at Atlantis I did the trainer for a day and sea lion interaction and both were amazing experiences. All of the staff at Dolphin Cay were fab and full of beans :)
I know I sound like a moany cow on this, it really is not like me to complain at all, but after the amount of money we spent my expectations were high. It is a beautiful resort but I came away feeling that the place has no heart and soul, never felt like the fun loving caribbean I've experienced on other islands. At other resorts you have staff getting you up and playing games or partying at the beach BBQ. There was none of that here. When I spoke to someone in Nassau they said most local people see Atlantis as a modern day plantation. Oh dear that's not good!
Finally to our room bill. Bearing in mind that we paid for all food in advance and my trainer for a day, so all we had to pay for was the 15% tips, Starbucks, sea lions and drinks. How an earth that comes to £5,000 is beyond belief :O
So, will I go back? Um, no. If you do stay there, get out of there to eat and drink, meet the real people of the Bahamas who are warm and welcoming. That way you will not come away from a dream destination feeling like you've been legally mugged!!

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We just got back from the most AMAZING vacation at the Atlantis in Paradise Island, Bahamas and I wanted to post a review!! We were there from April 4th to the 10th with our 2 kids.

We stayed at the Reef. I chose the Reef because it is the only property on Atlantis that has a suite with a full kitchenette. So, we had dishes, glasses, silverware, a pan, microwave, toaster, stovetop and mini fridge in the room which was awesome with a 2 and 4 year old. It was fully stocked with paper towels, dishwashing liquid and a new sponge.

We ordered a taxi to pick us up from the airport but the taxis run pretty regularly and the rates are government regulated ($32 from the airport). We made a stop at a supermarket and picked up a case of water, snacks, bagels, peanut butter, frozen waffles, and other items to snack/drink to save on food costs. we also stopped at a wine/beer store for a case of beer and a few bottles of wine. This saved us a ton of money since the dining on the resort is outrageous!

total cab ride with the 2 stops was $40.

Once we got there, we checked in and the room was beautiful! Huge bathroom with double sinks, bathtub, stand-up shower, and separate toilet area. Only thing is there were no towel racks!

The grounds were absolutely beautiful! Even though the Reef is the farthest property from all the action, we chose it so that we could relax a little and decide when we wanted to do all the activities instead of the kids going into sensory overload in the middle of Atlantis. They have 2 kiddie pools exclusive to Cove/Reef guests so you never have to fight for a chair/lounge like in the other Towers where the cruise ships tend to go.

There is a TON for the kids to do (although our kids are too young). DH and DS went on the Lazy River, which they loved. They have a waterplayground which both kids loved! and then tons of watersides/activities for older kids/adults (over 48 in) that we didn't use but looked so much fun.

food prices on the resort were outrageous but we expected it from all the previews.

We went to Mesa Grill one night (Bobby Flay) which was unbelievable, and Nobu another night (also awesome). Both cost upwards of $250.

We also went to Carmines and Virgils BBQ, which are both family style and cost around $150 for dinner.

Breakfast we ate in the room with the groceries we purchased and the kids ate lunch in the room also.

Poolside lunches (chicken fingers & fries, etc.) cost between $20-$30, so not totally outrageous.

There was a Starbucks in the lobby, but the line was always a mile long. Venti regular coffee will run about $5.

One thing to note is that they charge a 15% gratuity on EVERYTHING, so every drink, starbucks, water, anything!!

All in all, our food bill was $1,600 for the week which was better than the meal plan since the meal plans do not include alcoholic drinks, gratuity or lunch and Starbucks.

At night we went to Marina Village where they have singers, and stilt walkers, kid's tattoos, and other entertainment and a Ben and Jerry's, and Candy Store! The kids loved it.

My one gripe is that the service was inconsistent. Housekeeping did not make up our room 2 days in a room and I had to call and complain, but they sent someone up right away. Also, the bellhop never brought our bags up after check-in, so after waiting for an hour I called. The front desk said they left already but after another 15 minutes, I went down and saw all my luggage still there. I took it up myself!

Otherwise, everyone was extremely friendly and the resort was kept up beautifully and I could not have had a more fabulous time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Reef Atlantis? Share your experiences!