This was our 3rd trip to The Reef- by far our favorite family vacation spot (5 kids age 5-14.) This was our second time going Easter/ pre Easter. It was FULL...which likely accounted for the grounds not being so tidy as we usually have seen. The staff remains excellent, except for a few of the "security" people that guard the elevators...if you don't have your card key because the kids ran in front of you as you departed the lobby Starbucks with a venti tea latte for your sleeping wife...one "security" guy with about 7 teeth gave me the 10th degree of interrogation! Oh yes, I just paid all this money to wander around the building at 7am with a hot tea....fool!
I had to go out and get some pool chairs before 6am at the pool closer to the Cove; otherwise there were NONE left....the reserving chairs with an old People magazine and empty sunblock lotion has got to go!! It is cut throat out there every day to get any seat...anywhere after 8am!
The beach was damaged from Hurricane Sandy and the usual sandy bottom was now mostly coral. The pools were warm and still very good.
The water park is still great although it seems there is no staff to clean up debris and garbage by the kiddie pool area- it was not like this on prior trips.
We lost all water pressure one evening for about 20 minutes at prime shower time (6:30PM) but since the Obama girls were staying at The Reef at the same time we chalked it up to a secret service snafu.
Getting from the airport to the Atlantis was a pleasure. We have used SANDRA FERGUSON ( who owns her own taxi/car service) every year. Just email her at firstname.lastname@example.org (242)525-8532- see attached photos. She will pick you up in a very nice air conditioned van that comfortably sat 3 adults, 5 kids and all our baggage. She will have some cold water, soda and Kalik beer awaiting your enjoyable ride. She will stop at the local liquor store and supermarket for all long as you need (we saved tons of $$ by making our own breakfast and lunch everyday.)
We had great dinners at Carmines, Murray's Deli, Seafire Steakhouse, Johnny Rocket's and Bimini Road.
At the Reef we enjoyed staying on the "harborside" of the building which offers an amazing view of Nassau, the beach and cruise- and we always have the amazing sunset view! Request as high a floor as possible. This year we had the 9th floor.
The room was very good but the kids side only had 1 queen and a pull out queen sofa (instead of the usual 2 queen beds.) They no longer offer PM turn down service as that is now only reserved for the owners of the units.
The shuttle service from the Reef to Marina Village and other hotels was terrific as usual.
The food and drinks around the pools/park were very $$ as we'd come to expect but the quality was very good and the staff excellent.
Our strategy was to always go to the water park in the early AM (slides open at 9AM, lazy river at 10AM) in order to beat the throngs of cruise ship people then go back around 4PM when the lines were small.
We think we would go back in a few years but likely choose a week which is not full capacity for which I think the resort has a tough time handling and keeping the grounds a bit more clean....and maybe get a pool chair without having to run out before 6am!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on Paradise Beach, guests enjoy miles of white sand and ocean in their backyard with all the wonder and excitement of Atlantis on their front doorstep. The Reef features studios and one- and two-bedroom suites offering all the conveniences of home with a full kitchen or kitchen area complete with linens, cookware, table settings, refrigerator and private balconies with water views. Guests of The Reef enjoy a semi-private pool, shared only with The Cove Atlantis, Starbucks lounge and are closest to Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your The Reef Atlantis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Atlantis Hotel Paradise Island
- Reef Atlantis Paradise Island
- The Reef Atlantis Bahamas/Paradise Island