“Great fun in the sun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Miami, Florida
“Great fun in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Reef for our anniversary and we were very pleased overall. The hotel is definitely nice - beautifully landscaped, lots to do (or nothing at all), good restaurants. Like most every other reviewer, we thought things were pricey but did find ways to save - first, the beach and waterpark are included in the price so we took full advantage of that. Our room had a full kitchen (we splurged on that) so we ordered groceries online for delivery to the hotel and had many of our meals in the room. We took the water taxi into Nassau one cloudy day which is only $3 each - a great deal. The staff were excellent - the concierge staff especially - they were very gracious and helped with meal reservations and our spa reservation. Room was kept clean and everything was functional - no complaints there.

It was quite busy during our stay, lots of cruise ship visitors so that took away from our "intimate" get away. Otherwise, we'd love to visit again.

Room Tip: We always ask for an upgrade and get one about 70% of the time - Reef was only exception.

875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Reef on business and admit I chose it because it fronts onto the beach so I could walk there.

It's a modern hotel, part of the Atlantis resort which is aimed firmly at tourism but is good enough for a business stay and much better than the dos town hotels. Service is very good by Bahamian standards and the romo was top class. I rather resented paying $20 per day for internet however.

The weak point is the food, although there are about 20 restaurants in the resort I didn't find any that I would really choose to eat in. Tip : avoid the "cheese" nachos and the breakfast "danish" pastries at all costs.

The resort is in the Bahamas but clearly not like the Bahamas - more like a slice of Miami transported here. I'd use it again.

Overall though a good choice

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Newport Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here the first week of December, right after the Thanksgiving crowd left, and right before the Holiday crowds arrived. The resort itself is amazing. Where else can you enjoy such an assortment of activities, pools, slides, spa, casino, nightlife? The reviews concerning how expensive this place is are all valid. However, with some careful planning and knowledge, you can have a wonderful time at this 5 Star Resort, at a fraction of the cost. We stayed in a Studio Suite at the Reef. What's great about this room is that it has a kitchennette with a stove-top, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. All the amenities such as pots and pans, dishes, glasses, etc. If you want to have a totally relaxing vacation and money is not an object (after all you work hard all year so you deserve some R&R), then opt for the meal plan. It cost about a hundred dollars a day for an adult, less for kids, and includes 3 meals a day that can be used at most of the restaurants at the Atlantis, including Bobby Flay's restaurant Mesa Grill and Carmine's, a great family style Italian restaurant located in the marina.

However, don't rule this place out if you are on a budget. Since there is a refrigerator, stove and cooking utentsils, you can actually dine for a few dollars more than you do at home. On your way to the resort from the airport, ask the taxi driver to stop at the local super market. Groceries that are easy to cook and less expensive to buy are eggs, cheese, breakfast meats, cereal, milk, hot dogs, hamburgers, bagels, tortillas, potatoes, mac & cheese and pasta. Having the driver stop on the way to the resort saves the cost of a taxi there & back on a subsequent trip. Also, if you are a drinker, have them stop by a liquor store to buy your alchohol, wine & beer. Remember, you have a refrigerator, so you can keep things cold. A handle of Bacardi rum only cost about $15, so if you like rum stock up. Don't forget the mixers. Bring spices in little zip lock bags from home so you don't have to pay an arm & a leg for them at the grocery store.

Rather than spending a fortune at the restaurants at the resort, if you are athletic, you can walk (or take a short taxi ride) over the bridge and eat where the locals do at one of the shacks at Arawak Cay. With a host of seafood restaurants that serve delicious fried fish and the delectable conch salad with Kalik beer (feel free to bring your own beverages), brewed on New Providence Island itself, a visit to this place makes for an unforgettable experience at a fraction of the cost of the resort restaurants. The conch salad is prepared fresh and made tableside. If you go in the morning you can actually buy some fresh local fish that you can take back to your room and prepare for dinner. Pan seared Grouper is easy to prepare and a wonderful dish to enjoy out on your private balcony.

A little further in town is another great place ot eat - Potters Cay (a short taxi ride) – Bahamian food with fresh fish/vegetables from the market. This is a great spot to watch locals eat, drink, and do business in the marketplace at a fraction of the cost of the resort restaurants.

Downtown Nassau has some great spots for Happy Hour & the Straw Market where you can barter with the locals for your souvenirs and fake designer luggage. The Nassau Water Taxi (which you can get under the bridge for around $3 per person) provides a cost effective and highly visual alternative to traditional road transportation (taxi). Each boat offers a guided tour of the surrounding area.

We actually splurged (cost about $60 a person) one night and ate at Mosaic, which is located at the Cove. It is an upscale casual mediterrean style restaurant with serving stations that include steak, lamb chops, chicken, fresh prepared fish, a pasta station, salads, a fabulous assortment of sushi and some wonderful desserts. Delish.

All in all we had a wonderful vacation staying at this 5 star resort on a 3 star budget, and will definately be back.

Feel free to contact me for information on how to get substantial discounts on room rates at The Reef.

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of the hall and you will be right by the Ice Machine.

Room Tip: Ocean View at the end of the hall by the ice machine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at The Reef a few days before Thanksgiving with wife and 2 kids (ages 11 and 8). We booked a studio room, which was okay for the 4 of us. There is a small stove, small dishwasher, small refrigerator, and small microwave in the room for our use. Note the emphasis on the word small. I'm sure the one bedroom suite is better, but it's a little bit too expensive for my tastes.

There's also a small coffeemaker (comes with starbucks coffee that should be replenished every day). I thought it will be more convenient to order coffee at the starbucks in the lobby, but couldn't get myself to pay about 3 bucks for a tall coffee.

Like a bunch of reviewers said, try to get some "supplies" to get you through your stay. Especially food. And water. Bottled water costs a fortune in Atlantis. For example, I bought ice cream for my 2 kids, and it cost me about 7 bucks, each! This includes the 15% tip of course. Yes - it's a mandatory charge so the person at the other side of the counter can hand you the ice cream.

But enough of the gripes. Other than the cost, this place is awesome! The grounds are amazing, and my kids enjoyed the waterpark. My kids did the shallow dolphin interaction, which was okay if it is your first time interacting with dolphins, but a little too tame for them since this does not include the dolphin push or hanging by the fin as the dolphin pulls you.

My wife and I also dined at Mesa Grill, and the food was heavenly. I know since both of us practically cleaned our plates. Also ate at Carmine's. One order of spaghetti and meatballs was enough for the 4 of us.

This is a place you need to experience at least once, and I am glad we went.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at the Reef Atlantis Hotel. The accommodations and were beyond our expectations. The front desk clerk name "Peggy " helped us celebrate our anniversary with a personal Happy anniversary card, special gifts delivered to our room and a "Happy Annniversary serenade from the staff at the Mosaic Restaurant" . My husband and I will always cherish what Peggy did for two complete strangers who were treated more than a guest. Please ask for :Peggy" the next time you stay at the Feef Atlantis :) Judy B.

Room Tip: The Ocen View Rooms are very romantic !!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Westminster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Reef in Atlantis for our 5th anniversery. The Reef is probably the quietest of the properties on Atlantis and didn't have as many young families as the other hotels seemed to, so if you are looking for a romantic getaway this is the place for you. The staff was really quite friendly and helpful. We had an issue with the lighting in the room which took two days to fix but other than that they were good. The food was incredibly expensive but good. A breakfast buffet was around $70.00 for 2 people and even a couple of hamburgers with fries and drinks at Johnny Rockets was $50.00. You soon realize that you have a choice of mediocre meals for around $100.00 (for two) or really good meals for over $200.00 so we went with the good meals. We had a small stove in the room where we cooked breakfast and that was helpful.

The private beach and pool were awesome and the waterpark was great, the casino is mediocre, the spa is wonderful and the dolphin expereince was our favorite part. Overall I would reccomend the Atlantis as a place you have to see at least once. The size of the place and the attention to detail in recreating the lost city of Atlantis (the aquarium is a must see!) are both remarkable. There was a little in house video on the building of Atlantis that puts the scope of building a place this size in perspective so watch it. I would probably go back, but not too soon.

Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was my fourth trip to Atlantis, the first to the Reef. I have read the reviews posted before we went in late November 2012. Some of the comments about rude / bad / service were interesting since in all my trips to anywhere in the Bahamas I had not had that experience. Did not have it this time either. Also the comments I read about the expense of Atlantis were interesting. I don't believe this is a resort that you would tie the word inexpensive to. If you are coming you can save money / spend less money by eating off site or getting groceries delivered. We stayed at the Reef from Saturday until the following week on Sunday. We had excellent service, excellent food both at the restaurants and pool / beach side. The concierge at the Reef, Joy Rolle is a prime example of awesome service by a person who is committed to giving their customers the best experience available. The weather was great, the pools and beach were clean and the entire resort is more than beautiful. Pictures do not do it justice. Nassau is nice, the straw market has a lot of things to buy and the prices are good. I also found interesting the complaint I read about Atlantis adding 15% gratutity to everything. This is not an Atlantis exclusive. Went to the Hard Rock in Nassau and they do the same thing. They are not doing themselves any favors as I usually tip more than 15% EXCEPT when it is added automatically. 15% is all they ever got from me. I believe all the 'chain' restaurants in Nassau do the same thing. Bottom line is that New Providence / Paradise Island and Nassau is a beautiful place to go, the people know more about good customer service than most places in the USA and we plan on going again. Atlantis also has a lot of activities for children of all ages.

Room Tip: At the Reef we were harborside and we had a view of the ocean as well. I would guess that either s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Reef Atlantis? Share your experiences!