“Take a pocket full of cash!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 60% + Kids Eat Free
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Cataula, Georgia, United States
“Take a pocket full of cash!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Atlantis is an awesome place but they would charge you for the air you breathe if they thought they could get away with it. Restaurants are way overpriced and the so called affordable ones always seemed to be closed. $7 for a bottle of water? I would highly recommend paying for an extra checked bag and pack it with snack foods and drinks (especially if you have kids). Once again, very nice place and the staff is awesome but you better take a pocket full of cash.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
North Babylon, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Just got back from an 8 day, 7 night trip with w/2 adults and a 12 year old son. First impression of the island was depressing. Maybe I have high expectations. Reminded mea little of Atlantic City. Friendly people though. Overall, I thought the price was too high for what you get.

I booked through Atlantis a month and a half prior to our trip. I requested a harbor view room in the Coral Towers. We arrived about 1:30 and our room was ready. Room #9237, at the end of the hall, with a very nice view of the boats and water. This is the top floor of the hotel and having a room at the end of the hall gave us a great view of the water rather than the rooftop, which was visible but didn't bother me. I really enjoyed sitting on the outdoor patio overlooking the water. Got a chance to see many beautiful boats pulling into and out of the harbor. Also, saw a lot of storms in the distance and some beautiful lightening shows. The room was kept clean and stocked with plenty of fresh towels. The bed was comfy and we had a fridge in our room. I didn't request it because I was told it would be $15 a day, however, I was pleased there was one already in there. No charge!

TIPS: If you are going down to do the Cartoon Network obstacle course, reserve your time IMMEDIATELY upon arrival or you may not be able to get a space. Wearing water shoes will help you if you participate because it's VERY slippery, but FUN! I brought a waterproof disposable camera with me and used it here as well as the beach.

Bingo- COMPLIMENTARY. (Shocking!) I would recommend going to it. It's 30 minutes and was worth it. My son won a couple times and took home some nice stuff. They give out decent prizes and a lot of people win each round. We all enjoyed it!

Food: Very expensive! We packed bottled water in out checked bags along with a bottle of liquor. We also packed an entire carry-on filled with cereal, powdered lemonade packets & snacks. You can buy a 1/2 gallon of milk in the Marina Village, across the street from the hotel, for $5.50. Cans of soda are $3.50 each unless you buy them in the duty free liquor store (also in Marina Village). I think they are .80 each. You can buy wine, beer and alcohol there too. 2 liter bottle of coke $ 4.25. Pina Colada, etc. $11.50 a drink. 15% gratuity is added to EVERYTHING you buy. Sunscreen is $24 a bottle, so bring ALOT.

Places to Eat to save Money: Dunkin Donuts (Marina Village) for breakfast.
Carmines Italian Restaurant - family style dining, very good and they packed up ALL the leftovers which we kept in the fridge for the next day. (make a reservation)
Virgils Restaurant (inside Coral Towers) - family style dining at night but not for lunch. Food very good. Also packed up leftovers. (reservations for dinner)
Murray's Deli (Marina village) - you can but a pound of ham, TO GO, for $6. Put it on a bagel for lunch! Got the bacon and cheese baked potato numerous times, TO GO, was very good. $6. Also the salads were good as well. Fast service for take out. Slices of cake are HUGE! Didn't get a chance to taste them, but the portions were tremendous.
Pizza place, next to Murray's is almost $40 a pie. About $7 a slice, not too good either. Not one of my favorites.
Johnny Rockets was reasonable. Was able to get a table at dinner, without a reservation, in 10 minutes. ok food.
Nobu- Not one of my favorites. It was good, but not worth over $225 for 2 adults and1 child. I suppose If you are a big sushi person, than this is the place for you.

Things To Do:
Took a taxi into Nassau, reasonably priced. Lots of jewelry stores, no tax. The straw market is like a huge flea market filled with all of the same things sold by different people. Upside - reasonable prices for "stuff" but you MUST not accept the price they tell you. ALWAYS haggle and talk them down. They WILL take it, most of the time. Downside - from the minute you walk in, EVERYONE hassles you to look at what they have. They are VERY pushy! BIG turn off.
As you walk around in Nassau, you will be approached about a hundred times from people trying to put a necklace around you saying "everyone gets one". Well, DON'T accept it. Of course, they want money. Politely say no thanks and walk away.
Also took a ferry to Nassau one day. The ships are so old and rundown but they float. It's a nice ride and the crew tells you about the history of the island and all the famous attractions you pass. It was cool. Wouldn't do it more than once. Of course, you are asked to tip them.

Beaches are beautiful! Water was amazing. Bring your own snorkel and mask. We also brought our own pool float and ball. It was work worth it. Got hassled every 20 minutes about renting a jet ski or buying a drink in a coconut but once I said no, they walked away. Pools were very nice. Many to choose from and you are able to go in all of them. Water park was ok. It was a little crowded when the cruise ships were in port, but we always found a seat. Bring bandaids and antiseptic cream. I got thrown off a tube on one of the rides and scraped my entire side and elbow up pretty badly. The lifeguards were good and attended to me pretty quickly but I had to buy my own stuff in the hotel. I saw a lot of people with scraped up arms and feet. Be careful!

OVERALL: I feel it wasn't worth the price we paid. Almost nothing is included and it did feel somewhat like being on a cruise ship. The scenery and water was nice, especially the beaches. The waterpark is ok. Over rated a bit. I expected the dig to be better than it was. It was nice to walk around and see all the sea life but the inside exhibits looked like more work could have been done to make it look more authentic. (coral etc.) We enjoyed walking around the resort and viewing the fish and sharks though. The Coral Towers was nice. The lobby seemed nicer in the Beach Towers though. The Royal Towers lobby is beautiful too but the downside to the Royal Towers is that it stinks of cigarette smoke from the casino. That's why we didn't stay there. I had read the reviews about the smoke, and they were right! I suppose if I were to do it all over again, I would go for only 3 or 4 days only, stay at the Beach Towers, and still pack a bag of snack.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: High floor at the end of the hall
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Just returned from the Coral Tower at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas. Arrival around 2pm on a Friday was effortless. Tried to sweet talk into an upgrade (our 40th anniversary) like others suggest, but no deal. Still, room was perfect. In the Reef Wing closest to the beach, top floor of 4 floors. Great view of the BLU pool. Walks are long but to be expected in a resort that size. Water features are amazing. Our 4yo granddaughter too small for most slides but she still had a blast on the Splasher Pool slides, beach and pools. Food is crazy expensive like others have said. And beware of the room - after taxes, fees, tips, etc it is almost double. $225 room cost $2000 for five days (you know that when you book). But even at that rate it is similar to Polynesian Village at Disney. One memorable staff is the nice lady "pretending" to vacuum outside the library. She greeted each guest with a cheery "Good Morning... Have a wonderful time", etc., every time we passed. She was a day brightener we looked forward to every morning. Ate at several restaurants on the grounds (see separate reviews). Other reviews say bottled water is pricey. It is. Two HUGE bottles in the room are $7 each but I found worth the price when compared to lugging in cases of water. Drank tap water often with no ill effects. One thing that could be improved is the wrist band assignment. Need a wrist band every day if using the water features. Extremely SLOOOOOW having to key in information and wait for bands to print. But the up side, beach towels (and chaises) were abundant. Unlike the Nickelodeon in Orlando, they do not track towels and do not bill you if you do not return them to the kiosk. I LOVE THAT! No more guarding your towel from poachers! Service was pretty amazing depending on the day. First day they left extra coffee and condiments, arranged my granddaughters stuffies on the bed, and even filled the ice bucket. The fridge (formerly a mini bar but now just a stripped shell) was barely cooling - a problem I would overlook at a Holiday Inn, but not at a $400/night room. I called and a new working fridge was delivered within fifteen minutes. Second day not quite as good... no shampoo. Called again and was promply delivered a bag full of shampoo, soap, conditioner, etc. NO COMPLAINTS about the service or the attitude. Every person without exception said good morning, etc. when meeting them in the all or on the walkways.
We tried to not charge too much to the room so we paid cash when possible. But so easy to just flash the card we did that a lot too. Final tab for 5 days was about $800, but $400 of that was one meal at Virgils (for 8 people). Think of the Atlantis as a huge cruise ship permanently docked. It has the features of a cruise ship including the shopping arcades and entertainment, without the free meals! We were a little apprehensive about going there (son was performing comedy at the Jokers Wild Comedy Club), but was a great time and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Forget the upgrade. Our room was cheapest in the Coral Tower and it was great. Central to much of th...
West Islip, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just got back from spending 6 days and 5 nights at the Coral towers in Atlantis, while my children had a fabulous time I say spend your money elsewhere. When we first arrived at 3:05 p.m to check in service was slow to say the least, but once it was our turn to check in we were told our room still wasn't ready even though it was now definitely past 3 p.m. We were given a basic rundown as to using hotel keys, meal plan etc and then we were told we could bring our luggage to the bell captain and they could store it for us until our room was ready. They told us to call in 30 min to see if it was ready. We decided to head to the pool and were told we needed wrist bands to get towels at the towel hut and to use the pool. Once we arrived at the towel hut they scanned our card and it didn't work. We were then told we would have to go to the main towel area located by the royal towers to get the problem rectified. We opted not to do that and went back to the front desk to tell them that the card was not synced with the system long story short after going from person to person the problem was solved. (Not a great way to begin any vacation) Once we were given our room number we brought our luggage up and noticed a strong air freshener smell pumping through the hallway, my guess is to disguise the smell of mustiness and mold that most hotels have. We did not opt for any dolphin adventure because my kids did this experience in Bermuda so we opted to pass on this which I know the atlantis is all about. To be kind I will do the pros first: tons to do for the kids they will never be bored. Movie theatre is fantastic, family magic show well worth the $15- for adults and $10- per child very entertaining, kids club is a blast (additional $$$) rapid river and water park excellent, restaurants generally very good, Bahamian club excellent! Drinks at the bars pricey but good. The cons: this hotel is way too big!! The amount of walking from place to place is not relaxing, cruise ships docking makes for very crowded pool areas and lines on water slides. Concierge?? We were baffled as to what they really do? If you need to change a reservation they can't do that, if you need to book an excursion they can't do that either?? Still trying to understand what they do. Everything at Atlantis is way overpriced especially water and anything the kids want to do. Overall, the room was average and the hotel service was lacking. The hotel staff doesn't really care if your happy. I did feel the restaurant workers were attentive in all the restaurants and dinner service was well paced. ( Bahamian club, Carmine's, Virgil's,Seafire, and Olives) however Pool waiters/ waitresses were not very attentive. Overall, Atlantis truly is "a glorified cruise ship". My husband and I considered this a trip rather than a vacation because there is no relaxing, with so much to do your kids will be dragging you from one end to the other as again nothing is close by and to us that's work!! After vacationing with my family in Disney, Myrtle beach, Hawaii, Bermuda, Turks and Caicos I say choose something else!! My vote is Beaches folks they have it down perfectly!!

Hood River, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just came back from 14 nights the first 5 nights bad the last 9 nights were good. Olives Restaurant 3 times good 2 service was absolutely horrible. Water at the pool was$9.49 with gratuity. Get your own water in town. Do not buy the $139 meal plan it was not worth it. A lot of guests felt that way.You had to eat certain hours.We could not eat that much food. Check your bill daily they added charges to our bill that we did not have. You have to get up and get a chair if you want a covered one early when cruise ships cone in they take the chairs early. I really felt like I was being gouged for money all the time.The people I complained to said I will get back to you they never did.I was very disappointed in the service the room I first had we were paying for ocean view at $333 per night not worth it it was like a motel 6.We will not go back.We could of saved $1000 and stayed at a Sandals all inclusive where service is fabulous.Very Very disappointed.Way over rated.I really cant believe they have as many people as they do with poor service.When We switched rooms key card didn't work security came his key didn't work lock was corroded called engineering then had to call locksmith to chisel out old lock.Had to sit and watch our luggage until we were able to get into room first 5 days hotel from hell.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Stratford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We just returned from a 4 night and 5 day trip to the Atlantis. We had read the many negative comments about the resort and thought no way could a place be so rude. WELL our party of 15 ALL experienced the rudeness at different times. BEWARE of one issue that happened to a lot of people when we were there. You book your trip months in advance, and when you get there they try to put you in a lesser room and they try to tell you " oh well that is all we have left". 4 of our 5 booked rooms were wrong and we told them there was no way we were accepting this. They ended up having to upgrade us to suites. However, they very rudely let you know that you were not eligible for any of the suite amenities because you did not " pay" for that room. Any question you asked they looked and responded to you like you were an idiot. Also, check your bill when you charge to your room. Everyone in our party had double charges on their final bill. Make sure you book your dining reservations. If you do not have a reservation they will do NOTHING to try to accommodate you. Thank God we did not let these things ruin our trip. As long as we did not have contact with the staff everything was fine. We found that if they were in a position where they did not get tipped or their tip was not built in they did not care about anything. That only leaves the maids who do work for tips and they were the nicest people at the who resort. Make sure to say hi to Shirley who takes care of the hall near the a library at the coral towers. She was a doll. If you ignore the staff and not let them bother you believe me you will have an awesome trip. That is what we did.

Room Tip: Coral Tower is very centrally located.
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was headed back to Atlantis to start wedding planning. Since it was only me and my mother, and we knew we would be back in December, we decided to save a little money and stay at the Coral Towers.
I booked the trip through Expedia.com and added in the preferences that we wanted a room with 2 beds. We never asked when checking in, and when we made it to the room it only had one. When we called the front desk they said they had a room with 2 beds but it wouldn't be available for a couple hours. We decided to just stay in the original room and share the bed.
The overall hotel room was nice. Everything was clean, and working, nice balcony that had chairs so we could sit outside. One evening while getting ready for dinner we blew a fuse. We called the front desk and they sent someone up quickly to fix the problem.
Overall I would stay there again if I was trying to watch my budget. For the reduced price it's not bad. Honestly you're so busy with everything going on at the resort you're really only in your room to shower or sleep.

Room Tip: Be sure to call the hotel, or ask when you check in if you have a double or single room. Higher floo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Coral Towers? Share your experiences!