“Nice Time at the Coral Towers” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$350 in Credits
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Houston, Texas
“Nice Time at the Coral Towers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

So we were upgraded to the Coral towers Sept 6-Sept11th, I went with my husband and 3-year-old and had a great time. Like many, we got our room for $99/night and after reading the reviews, I was scared about what this trip would really cost me. I took a suitcase full of snacks, capri suns, and I'll also admit...I took these alcohol premade drink packets (different flavors like margarita, pina colada etc)...they are in capri sun-like packaging for like $1.40 at CVS here in Houston, and they were FANTASTICS. I would ask for a cup of ice at the bar then would fill it up, and get my fruity drink fill while at the pool. BUT I don't know if I was really allowed to do that through customs. I didn't think about it until later, I probably should have ask, but I did get away with it and it was lovely! I took a collapsible cooler, filled it with ice and took off with my snacks and juices.
My way of coping with the expensiveness there was to create offsets (like the price of the hotel room...not getting the meal plan and eating elsewhere...bringing my own juice and buying waters at a local supermarket). If I feel like I'm getting slammed on everything, I do get bitter...but I really went into it knowing it would be expensive, and looked at ways to mitigate. One was eating dinner at Montague Gardens....I've got a separate review on that. You should definitely go there.
This place was fantastic for my daughter, she/we loved the 'lazy/crazy' river...I could have just gone round and round on that thing the whole day, it was so much fun. The slides and water parks for the kids are awesome, I can't say enough about them, and at this time of year, I did not see any long lines of any sort.
It rained sporadically every day and then it would clear up, that was more than ok.
The aquariums were just breathe taking, the whole place is a complete compound.
My husband used the gym twice, it was $15/day, he said it was really nice (hell, it better be!)
The beach is wonderful, however, we spent most of our time by the pool.

If you don't like walking, don't come to this resort or the Coral Towers, everything is far. We found if we cut through the Casino, it wasn't so bad, I was glad to get the exercise though, after eating all the crap that I was eating over there. We typically had a burger by the pool in the afternoon, which was reasonably priced.

We ate breakfast at Anthony's every morning, which was good. We spent approximately $35 for the three of us. One day we tried Quiznos and breakfast was gross, the egg was still frozen on the inside...I'm probably more of a real breakfast kind of girl, add to the that crappy look on the girl's face that helped us, I was completely turned off.

About the "attitude" of some of the Bahamians, I would say 50% were crappy and 50% were sweet, friendly and helpful. I don't need a lot of niceties either, I've got thicker skin than that. I tried not to let the bad ruin my opinion of everything, however, it was something that my husband and I noticed. I did have a little girl with me, so I did see many of those "frowns turn upsidedown" whenver my extroverted daughter would say hello and smile.

The Room: we were upgraded to the 10th floor at the Coral Towers and we had a great view. The 10th floor however, smelled like wet dog, it was pretty awful and the ice maker was broken so I had to go to the 11th floor for ice. The room was clean and served it's purpose well. The bed was comfortable, and I took all of the drinks out of the mini fridge and put my own stuff in there. I bought a gallon of water (I could have fit two), and was able to stick it in there, there was plenty of room for more stuff too. The beds were comfortable, I usually push one bed against the wall and sleep with my daughter so she doesn't fall off.

Wifi: So we bought Wifi becuase my husband has to be connected, and while he was able to work just fine out of the room on his computer, emails through our other devices like iPhone was shoddy at best and not dependable at all. We tried to get it fixed a couple of times, but when he went to the lobby, of course, it worked fine and there was nothing to fix. Oh well!!!!

Childcare: One day we left our daughter from 1 to 5pm at the daycare while my husband and I went downtown to walk around. She loved it, they were very sweet and even gave her a little backpack for her to take home with her, and it was a nice couple of hours to ourselves and to be able to get out of the compound.

Would I come back to the Atlantis? Probably when my daughter is older and she can appreciate all of the slides, and ONLY if I'm paying what I paid for the room etc. but it won't happen next year or anything. I liked all there is to do at the resort....never a dull moment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went Labor day week because NYC schools didn't start till the following week. With $99/night Coral Tower promo x 4 nights and 4 plane tickets and 4 value meal plans ($80/adult/night, $30/child/night), shallow water dolphin and stingray experiences, we still spent close to $4k. We went expecting it to be expensive, but still came back feeling like we got nickeled and dimed at every turn. So, happy we went, and would probably go back but in no hurry to return.
1) Coral tower was completely adequate, for the price we paid. It was much busier than the Royal towers, so I think many other people got similar deals and chose this tower. The room was big, with a decent balcony, and not luxurious but decent (would be unhappy if spent >$300 at peak). It was a brisk 8 min walk (no kids) to Aquaventure from our room. The kids did not complain about the walk back and forth.
2) We got the meal plan, and aside from one dinner at Olives ($280 for 2 adults, 2 kids), ate exclusively at Marketplace buffet. Olives was their upscale restaurant in the casino and nice, but seriously overpriced. The buffet was also overpriced but decent enough, and one kid liked the pasta station and the other liked the Mongolian grill area. Ben and Jerry's ice cream was a nice end to the meal. Also, the kids had no chance to fall asleep while waiting for food to arrive. Note that they are not kidding about the required 15% service charge on everything. So breakfast buffet after tip was about $100, and dinner buffet about $168. Meal plans do not include lunch, which at the Zero entry cart in Aquaventure cost about another $50-60/day. Note Seagrapes buffet is closed for the next few months due to slow season. The Marina pizzeria was also very popular with people not on a plan.
3) Aquaventure was pretty empty when we were there. Like <20 people total at 9 am when it opened. We went on the big slides about a dozen times in a row with no lines. Note even though it was an off week, the park would get busy about 11 when the people arrive from the cruise ships. You can tell who they are because they form long lines at the lockers 1st, then long lines on all the rides. Nothing against the people that take cruise ships, but I don't like them clogging everything up. Lines would grow to about 30 min at max, and I can only imagine how unpleasant the park would be if it was peak season. The cruisers all leave about 3, so from then till closing about 7 the lines would all disappear again. The slides are great, but they all require you to be 48". There are about a dozen small slides for smaller children, but they are much smaller and slower, and the only thrilling ride for them is the Current (not so lazy river, mix of rapids and wave pool). The Current opens at 10, FYI. If you have a kid taller than 42" and less then 48", IMHO I would suggest considering waiting until reach 48" before going to get better value.
4) Stingrays was very cool, we got to feed them shrimp and squid and then snorkel in the lagoon. Our guide and photographer were great, and best of all they let us take pictures with our own water camera. They have all the gear for you, including a snorkel to keep. Their photographer used a Panasonic Lumix.
5) Dolphins on the other hand was very cool but basically a big scam to get us to buy photos. We were not allowed to use our own camera. Their photographer (using a Nikon D5000) came by to take literally 5 shots (in bursts so total was 23 pictures) of us, and then disappeared on break the rest of the time we were there. The cheapest package just for a CD of the photos (30 picture max) was $120, packages went >$200+ for actual prints. I would've taken a lot more and better photos during the rest of the time we were there. Also, our guide was annoying and kept calling himself and his job awesome. With the enthusiasm of a porta-potty engineer.
6) Everyone takes USD. There's a bill breaker machine in the casino that came in handy to get singles and fives to be able to tip people.
7) Cab from airport was $45 after tip, back to airport in a shuttle with other people was $40.
8) No free wifi. Available for $20/day. You can get 15 min internet use on a computer at their library in Coral, but I just stayed unplugged. There is a computer to check in and print boarding passes in the Coral lobby that came in handy.
9) Service in general was uneven. Some really chipper, engaging and happy workers, and a few unpleasant disgruntled ones. Their lifeguards are not on par with the States, so they were spaced further apart on the rapids river, and it was not unusual to see an empty chair or one climbing a tree or with their back to the water, instead of watching. Just be aware.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Atlantis is a huge resort on Paradise Island near Nassau Bahamas. The hotel is probably the nicest in all of Nassau and the resort has every amenity one could desire. It is not new and definitely has a "used" feel (dated carpet that has taken in it's share of humidity and cigarette smoke- but hey, don't complain- You're in the Bahama's!!). It is not smoke free (nor is anyplace in the Bahama's). But the staff is superb, very accommodating and friendly. There are plenty of family friendly pools not to mention the crystal clean water at the beaches. A casino, shopping, spa's, dolphin adventures and aquariums galore. The entire resort works as a cruise ship with room key charges for everything so pay attention to your bill. There is a duty free liquor store within walkable distance if you want to save a ton of money- ask, they will tell you where it is. Definitely a great place to stay and just relax. Plenty to keep everyone in your party happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kanata, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I would recommend Paradise Island to anyone. However, it is probably one of the most expensive resort in the world but it is worthwhile to visit at least once. My wife and I stayed at the Coral Towers for 2 nights (7 to 9 Sep 13). The hotel was beautiful with easy access to the water park, restaurants, shopping etc. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. All the staff at the resort were very friendly and helpful. There are on the resort amazing aquariums with many type of fish, sharks etc, and the water park and pools were great,

However, food was extremely expensive... for example, a large pizza at the marina cost $32.50, one (1) liter and half water in the room is $9.00 per bottle. We decided to purchase the breakfast/dinner meal plan for 2 days which did cost us $160 US per person excluding the 15% gratuities. but... the food at the Market Place (buffet style) where we went for breakfast and Dinner was just amazing.

Wonderful place with lots to do for couples, families and friends. The beaches were extremely nice and the water so clear.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently got back from an unforgettable trip to Atlantis in the Bahamas! We went from July 23-30, 2013. I had read a lot of reviews, both good and bad, and I honestly did not know what to expect. Thankfully, we experienced only great things and we had the most incredible trip.
1) Choice of Hotel
We chose the Coral Towers. We had a water view room, 7228, in the Lagoon Tower. It had a nice view of the ocean, the pools, the Royal Towers etc. I can't compare it to any other room because this was our first visit to Atlantis. The room itself was very big. It had two double beds and we asked for an extra bed that we fit between the two beds as there are 5 people in my family (a 9, 6, and 3 year old). There is a circular table and two chairs in the room. The TV is on top of a cupboard with 3 large drawers (all of our clothes fit in there). It has a mini bar on the other side, which was full, however, there is a small space the height of a medium sized Starbucks cup in which to put small items. The floor was carpeted. The closet was a nice size. The bathroom was very modern and clean. The balcony was big with a table and two chairs. The actual location of the Coral towers was very nice. Our lagoon tower elevator went all the way to the lower level. In the lower level was The Speedway (where kids could build and race cars for about $75), a Starbucks (although the coffeemaker in the room supplied Starbucks coffee and teas for free and was very good), Club Crush (for 9-13 yr olds from 4-8pm or for older teens starting at 8pm), a place for kids to hang out, play video games, and meet other kids for a fee...we didn't pay because it was included in a Kids' Experience Pass we got for free, but the price is $25 a day or $75 for a week. My son went 3 nights and loved it. I was skeptical at first to send him. By the fourth day, I went on the tour and let him go. No adults other than the people who work there are allowed in. The other awesome part of our room location in the lagoon tower was that there is a short covered walkway to Marina Village from the lower level of the Coral Towers. The Lagoon Tower elevators take you straight down to this lower level. One night, we had to be at the Cartoon Network screening on the beach by 8:00 pm. We usually went to eat dinner at about 8. Since we needed a quick meal, I took the elevator down to the lower level, went across the walkway to Marina Pizzeria, ordered pizza and was back in our hotel room after only 15 minutes! There is also a back door to Murray’s Deli from this walkway. So if one night it is raining, you can still go to Murray’s Deli for dinner without getting wet.
2 ) Water Park
The Blu Pool is the pool beside the Coral Towers. It is a big pool with no zero-entry area. My kids still loved it. The resort has life jackets at every pool in all sizes to use for free. The pool at the Beach Tower is really close and that has a zero-entry area. It is also beside the Lazy River, which my kids loved and was never very busy, and the Poseidon Pool which is a small pool for young kids, although, all my kids played there. We jumped from pool to pool to the lazy river for most of the day. For a couple of hours a day, we would go to the Aquaventure area beside the Royal Towers. We went on the slides, the Current (the river with the rapids which was always very busy with people), Splashers, and most of the pools etc. However, we were always happy to go back to the Coral/Beach tower pools as they were not as busy as the Aquaventure area. Unless you go in the morning to reserve your seats at Aquaventure, you probably won’t get a chair. Plus, one day they ran out of towels in that area, but they never did at our pools. It’s about a ten minute walk from the outside to get from the Blu Pool to Aquaventure. It’s less time if you walk from the inside of the hotel. So if you know you are going to start your day at Aquaventure, cut through the casino to get there quickly. We never stayed at the beach as we heard there was an undertow and did not want to risk going with the kids.
3) Food
We were prepared to get the Dining Plan which would have totalled $1320 (2 adults and 1 child over 7…under 7 are free) and I calculated about another $400 for gratuities. Right before we were scheduled to leave, they offered a Kids Eat Free deal (with or without the dining plan). I decided not to get the dining plan…thank goodness! We went to Seagrapes every morning for a breakfast buffet at about 11:00-11:15 am (it closes at 12:00pm). The kids ate bacon, eggs, waffles etc. and filled up. The cost was $50 for 2 adults and kids were free. (Kids cost would have been $12.50 each. Also, 3 year olds eat free at buffets in Atlantis, regardless of Kids Eat Free promotion.) That was our brunch. For dinner, we tried a few places. The first night we went to Marketplace ($112 for 2 adults), however, the kids ate very little, as did my husband who is very picky. I, on the other hand, am not picky, so I tried everything! The food was very good. Though, it wasn’t worth the cost when I was the only one eating well, so we did not go back. A couple of nights we went to Virgil’s, (it’s in the Coral Towers) which was really great. We weren’t even going to go because my husband again is very picky and did not like the options on the menu. By fluke we found out that they had a bar menu with fewer choices, but there was a burger meal on the menu. He said it was the best burger he’s ever tasted! If you opt for the bar menu, you have to sit at the bar if you’re over 19 or if you have kids, you sit at one of the High Top tables. We went to Virgil’s twice. Both times he got the burger and I got the pulled pork sandwich and that too was excellent. We also had the taste of Atlantis pass so we tried the Trash riblets and had 2 beers for free. His meal was $15 and mine was $18! The kids ordered from the kids menu and their meals were free. (Kids meals were no more than $9 each, depending on what they ordered.) Another night we went to Murray’s Deli at the Marina. The kids ordered from the kids menu, my husband ordered a hamburger meal (no surprise there…I think he ate hamburgers 4 times out of 7), I ordered the roast beef sandwich. My husband said this hamburger didn’t even compare to the Virgil’s hamburger…Virgil’s was way better. My roast beef sandwich was really good. Our bill was less than $40. Another night I went to get pizza from Marina pizzeria and brought it back to our hotel room. The slices are about $6.50 each and are huge. I had one with chicken and veggies and it was so tasty. My husband doesn’t eat cheese, so his specialty pizza (you have to buy at least a medium if it’s a custom order) with just tomato sauce was under $20. He didn’t like it very much, but it was plain with just tomato sauce so that’s understandable. My pizza was really good and the kids loved theirs too (pepperoni). The last night we went to pick up food at Murray’s take out. I had a roasted chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies which was really good and cost only $19. With the kids eat free promo, we spent no more than $100 a day sometimes less (that includes gratuities). The dining plan would have cost me $1700! My meal bill for the entire week was about $700. The dining plan works for people who like to eat appetizers, entrees and dessert at every meal. If you like to have a big meal like this, then the plan is worthwhile. Before I left, I was worried about the cost of food, because everything I read said it was so expensive. It can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be. I can understand how people have such high tabs. At the more expensive restaurants, an entrée alone can be from $40-100. Add on appetizers and desserts and alcohol and it gets very expensive. We didn’t even bother going to any of the expensive restaurants because it was not worth it for us to go with the kids. Everyone has to do what’s best for their own family. There are definitely options and you don’t have to go broke to feed your family well at Atlantis!
4) Miscellaneous
On a side note, we brought a lot of snacks that we thought we would need. We didn’t use everything we brought! We had our taxi service (more on that later) stop off at a store, Super Value in Cable Beach and we bought 4 cases of Nestle Pure Life water for 11.99 each (although it had a different taste than the one I buy in Canada) and 3 loaves of sliced bread for 2.69 each (total 56.03) (I read you are not allowed to bring baked goods or fruits/vegetables into Bahamas.) We ended up using about 3 cases of water, 2.5 loaves of bread, 3 boxes of cookies, 1 big jar of Nutella (950 ml), 4 bags of chips, 1 bag of peanuts, 1 bag of fishy crackers, 1 little bag of Ritz smores and 1 bag of Tostitos and a half a box of cereal. In the morning, when we woke up at about 9, my husband and I would have the Starbucks coffee from the room coffee maker and the kids would have cereal or a Nutella sandwich etc. We would have brunch at about 11:15. We would have snacks during the day and then dinner at night. The first night at the Marketplace buffet, I asked where I could buy milk in case my kids needed it at night or in the morning. The nice lady told me to get 2 Starbucks cups at the restaurant next door (Plato’s?) and we filled them up at the buffet. They fit perfectly in the slot above the cans of pop in the hotel fridge and it was enough milk for our coffee each day and for my kids to drink some milk. We did that every morning after that when we went to Seagrapes buffet.
One day we tried to have lunch at the pool at the Cave Grill. The food wasn’t that great and it cost us $46 for 4 meals. Plus, the birds were all around us and at one point one swooped down and stole the bread off my son’s burger! We didn’t like the experience and did not do it again!
We brought a small cooler (a bag that fit about 6 bottles of water). We would fill a Ziploc bag with ice and we would bring that and snacks to the pool with us every day.
I brought a book and some tape with me. After every meal or activity, I would ask for a copy of the bill (they don’t always give you one). I taped each and every receipt into my book and kept track of everything I spent. Then I would match it with the ongoing bill that you can view on the television. They never over charged us, but just in case, it’s always good to keep track.
Whenever we called down to get something, ie, extra towels, the rolling bed etc., the staff brought it up within minutes and then we would get a follow up call to make sure we received the items we requested!
The library gives you 15 minutes of free internet for anyone in the room ages 9 and up. They give you a slip with a temporary pass code. We were allowed 3 of them daily and we brought them up to our room and used the free access on our Ipad. The library is full of computers that you can use to access the internet as well.
5 ) Activities
My son and I did the Stingray Experience. We fed the stingrays and then snorkelled in the water (Predator lagoon?). If you are thinking about doing any activities, I would advise you to book online before you get there, as the prices are lower before you get there. We paid $109 each. Had we done it online beforehand, it would have cost about $86. There were 2 members of the staff from the Stingray experience that were simply phenomenal. Their names are True (I’m spelling it as she pronounced it) and Gregory. They were so professional and friendly and made the experience amazing. My son and I were a little scared (me more than my son) and they were calm, patient, and so helpful! They definitely made the experience better! Bring water shoes as you will need them for any experience you do (although they have used ones you can use.) Also, they give you a snorkel and a bag to keep.
My girls ended up doing the SeaSquirts experience for $29 each ($26 online). They gave them rash guards to keep which was an awesome souvenir. They fed the sharks and then went into knee high water and fed the baby stingrays. They loved it and it was worth the money.
We realized later on in the week that there are interactive feedings that you can do for free. Check the daily Atlantean for times and places. We fed the turtles lettuce and the stingrays fish from a little platform, so you don’t have to go into the water to feed them. My kids were just as happy feeding the stingrays from the little platform as they were going into the water at the Stingray Experience and SeaSquirts.
Cartoon Network was there in the summer, and they had this obstacle course that you can climb for about 30 minutes. You have to sign up for it. We went to sign up 2 days after we arrived and they had no slots left until the day we were leaving. Luckily I kept calling back and realized that they added two more sessions and therefore we were able to do it. It was so much fun! Bring water shoes, as the people who didn’t have them had no grip and were sliding all over the place.
My girls did the Atlantis Pals. We had a pass with 2 free animals, but we had to pay for the clothes which cost $46 for 2 outfits. I just want to mention that D’Andra, the staff member working there was awesome and she made the experience so beautiful for my kids. She was so friendly and she was in character the whole time!
My girls also did the Pottery experience. We had a free $50 coupon part of the experience pass, but the prices are reasonable. Some things were $20 or $30. It takes a while. You have to paint it over 3 times and then they fire it up and it’s ready for you the next day. It’s a nice souvenir from Atlantis.
6) Service
The service at Atlantis was excellent! By reading all the reviews, I thought the people would be so rude. On the contrary, they were so nice and friendly and were always happy and smiling. Brenda, our housekeeper was so kind and sweet.
The only time we experienced a little rudeness was at Murray’s Deli take out and there was one rude lady at Splashers who was mean to the kids. The other people at Splashers, though, were so nice and sweet to the kids. As a whole, the staff and people at Atlantis were outstanding and the entire staff should not be judged by one or two unhappy people!
7) Taxi
We contacted Cheryl’s Taxi Service in Nassau before we left because of all the positive reviews we read on the internet. She was very fast answering all my emails. We negotiated the price of $50 from the airport to Atlantis with a stop at a grocery store for my family of 5 and all our luggage. And the return rate was $45. Someone was waiting for us at the airport with a sign. Craig was our driver. He is very friendly and happy and told us a lot of information about the Bahamas along the way. On the way back, he picked us up at the time we discussed, actually earlier, because he was already waiting there when we arrived! The shuttle that Atlantis set up would have been the same price, not including the stop at the store. We had private transportation and friendly, punctual service. I would definitely recommend this service and we will use them again when we return!
8) Complaints
There are just a couple of things that we would complain about. The main thing is the smoking. People are allowed to smoke in the casino and there’s no way to avoid walking through it. This is something that should be changed!
Another complaint is the fact that they don’t accommodate a family of 5 in one room unless one of the kids is under 5. This means that if we want to go to Atlantis and stay at one of the main hotels in a couple of years when all my kids are over 5, I won’t be able to go unless I get 2 rooms, which I would never do! The rooms are big enough to comfortably fit a family of 5, so they should revisit this policy!
9) Overall
This was an amazing trip. There is so much to do! The water park is unbelievable! We went the third week of July for one week and it rained one day for two hours and one evening from 8-10 pm. The rest of the time the weather was incredible. It was a comfortable heat, not humid. We were in the pool for about 6-7 hours a day and we were never bored. The pools close at 7 pm, but that’s more than enough time in the pools! My family had a great time! I would definitely recommend this resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rolesville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hotel was beautiful - easy access to the water park, restaurants, shopping. Room was very clean and the beds comfortable. This was our second stay - staff was always friendly and helpful! We booked a King room and were pleasantly surprised to have a sofa bed after expecting to need a roll-away. Views were amazing - we didn't book the water view this time and very much enjoyed the lights of the Marina.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Highly recommend staying here, i came here as part of my honeymoon and spent a week here. Staff are great, the rooms are a little outdated but nice. Pools, activities etc are great!! Free cinemas and casino is great. I would return. Also the beaches are great and the spa treatment is amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room, they are cleaner and nicer.