“amazing family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Streetsboro, Ohio, United States
“amazing family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at Coral towers 8-234 REEF WING. THE VIEW WAS AMAZING.!!
Yes the building is dated but the facility was very clean. The staff was very friendly and we felt safe and comfortable. We are a family of 4 with 2 two teenagers 13 and 15. We loved the waterslides-- and spent most of our time in the Current-which is the awesome 1 mile long fast moving river ride. Tip: Remember to lift your butt up when going down slides on intertubes or you will be in pain!! Food is expensive but in line for this venue. Value meals poolside worked great for lunch. We did not get meal plan. We walked across the street from the resort to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast every morning--tip: you get 30 min free wi-fi with purchase. Tried Anthony's next to DD first night for dinner-- The fountain drinks tasted off but the pizza was good. Room service at Coral towers was sadly a huge dissappointment. Also had dinner in Marina village at Bimini and the food was delicious and reasonable. Pizza in Marina also a big hit with all of us. Took water ferry over to Nassau to check out Straw Market and Twin Brothers for dinner. The boat was scarry to say the least but the guide was entertaining and the views fantastic. When walking to buy tickets for ferry we were approached by 2 women who handed us complimentary welcome necklaces--after accepting them a donation was requested. My husband kindly dug out 2 dollars for these free gifts and as we hurried away the women demanded more money. This made me mad and we kept moving ignoring them. Lesson learned--nothing is free here and EVERYONE wants a tip. Nassau was VERY dirty lots of public drinking. Staw market was vendor after vendor with the same items . Did not stay long but did get a 40 straw bag for 20 when I threatened to walk away . Twin Brothers is a resteraunt along a strip of food offerings known as the Fish Fry. The service was terrible--food overcooked--however I loved the fresh fruit frozen drink I was served. Would not recommend leaving the resort for sightseeing with teenagers--they could not wait to get back to the resort. Also tried Virgils BBQ on the resort and would highly recommend although the server was terrible the food was great! I think that when your gratuity is mandatory the waitstaff is lazy and hurts the overall experience. The aquariums are amazing and there is so much to see. We also did the dolphin trainer for the day and it was the highlight of our vacation. I planned for over a year for this vacation and it was everything I hoped for--if your worried about $$$ this is not the place for you. Very expensive but worth it in everyway!!!

Room Tip: Above 5th floor-even numbered room / water view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Los Lunas, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

One of the coolest hotels and places I've ever been to. Rooms were very nice, food was terriffic, and the views amazing. Nice Casino, although I'm not much of a gambler. Best water park I've ever been to. Giant indoor aquariums too huge to imagine...you just have to see them to believe them! This place is HUGE with tons of stuff to do. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The Atlantis is an immense and beautiful resort fillled with plenty of activites for families to do. Just be prepared to do alot of walking to get from one spot to another. The food is as mentioned by most reviewers quite expensive the best value is the pool lunch menu. FYI the hot pretzels could be breakfast for 2. Not all rooms come with an empty refrigerator but ask for one and stock up on some water and snack items at the local supermarket on route from the airport.
The Starbucks is a good option for breakfast only slightly higher priced. Be careful when paying bills 15% gratuity is added automatically. If you have a group the food at Camines is excellent and huge portions. Anthony's at the marketplace is also a good option for a casual meal. Two off site options for dinner are Lucianos of Chicago for an upscale waterfront dinner just over the bridge in Nassau and don't leave the bahamas without going to Arawack Cay and the Fish Frys. There are a string of local Bahamian Fare very casual mostly seafood Restaurants. I liked Twin Brothers my Husband preferred O Andros he likes spicy food. Take home an order from either place the Conch Fritters 1/4 the price of any place in the Atlantis. Twin Brothers has a man making fresh conch salad and another making giant daiquris. If you are a sports fan only option is to watch in the casino the veiwing is limited and so is the seating. I definately think it is a great experience 4-5 days is enough to most of the resort. The spa and movie theatre are also nice to try

• Stayed December 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Liked this location. Large room not as fancy as the Cove or Reef but considering we didn't spend much time in our room certainly worked fine. Didn't have kitchens that other rooms had but we didn't have children with us so wasn't an issue. Close to Casino, pools, beach, and restaurants. Really nice fireworks on New Years Eve.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Union, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The atlantis is so big of a property, there is so much to say about it. It's beautiful but the food is very pricey. My husband and I have no problem splurging, but after going to Dominican Republic twice and staying at beautiful, all-inclusive resorts, we much prefer to stick to high rated all-inclusive resorts. The room at the Coral Towers was fine. Not bad, not great but average. The property is so big, expect a long walk to the water parks, beach, restaurants, etc. We went in October with a group of 17 adults and kids. We had a good time on the water rides and on the beach. The beach waves were really rough but if you go to the Cove beach, it's much calmer. The marketplace buffet was $50 a person and was just ok. If you've ever been to the Borgata in AC, the buffet there is fantastic. The buffet at the Marketplace was not worth the $50. They also charged $30 for my 5 yr old nephew who doesn't eat much. Crazy rip off. The pizza at the Marina was good and there was a sandwich place next door which was reasonable. Overall, glad I got to experience it but wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask if any upgrades are available. We were upgraded from the Beach Towers to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went to Atlantis at the end of November/beginning of December to get away from the cold. The price was awesome, $99 rooms so even though they made me get 2 rooms (because I have 3 kids and only 4 to a room), I thought it was a good deal. We declined the transportation since it was $50 a person and sure enough, our cab fare was $42 for the whole family. The resort is beautiful and the main areas are well kept. My older 2 boys loved the waterslides and my oldest did snorkel in the ruins, which really impressed him. He was able to swim with manta rays and all kinds of fish. I think that attraction was worth it since all the fish and sea life are right there in front of you. My little one liked the splashers area which had a jungle gym with sprayers and smaller waterslides. We also did the dolphin shallow interaction which I thought was a waste of money. All we did was touch them and take pictures (which of course they want to sell you and the cheapest package is like, $70!) We did a little dance with them, fed them a fish and then they proceed to splash us again and again. My boys didn't seem to think much of it either, so I regretted not picking the snorkel in the ruins for all of us.
As for the Coral Towers, my room didn't have hot water for 4 days. It was warm but not hot enough for a shower. We showered in our boys' room. We called and they sent repairman after repairman, then finally offered to change our rooms and give us a $50 credit per room which was nice. We did change to a villa in the beach towers, and that was okay but had a mold smell in the bathroom that made us keep the door shut otherwise we couldn't sleep. The bellhop helped my husband move and asked for a tip which my husband was going to give but he didn't like being asked for it.
The food is pricey as a lot of other reviewers stated, but if you're on a budget I suggest asking your cab driver to stop at a supermarket (they will charge you extra) and picking up a few things. Things like ramen and cereal can go a long way. Bimini Road and Anthony's (right outside by the comfort suites are more reasonable, and there's a dunkin donuts by Anthony's. There's also a mini grocery store in that complex if you need water, snacks or milk, etc.) We tried Chopstix and the service was very good but the food was okay. It was spicy and they didn't tell us so the kids couldn't eat it. The poolside eateries are decent at about $10 a burger (no fries). They do charge 15% gratuity on everything as I've seen people mention, so our pizza that was a little over $30 came out to closer to $40. We're from New York, but have never spent so much for a pizza before. And of course it's just okay, nothing special. We ate at the Lagoon outdoor restaurant and it was good and not very expensive too.
We enjoyed the free movies in the theaters and the aquarium, as well as renting an aquacycle. They were nice enough to let us split the hour between all of us so my husband and 2 little ones went for half an hour, then my older son and myself for another half hour. That was more than enough time since there's really nowhere to go and they have the area roped off.
The casino is nice, but people smoke in all the common areas, so be aware if you are sensitive to that. One thing that you should watch out for is minibar charges. We were charged about $100 for each room for the minibar which we did not use at all. I don't know if this is a common thing, but I saw someone next to us complaining about the same thing and read other reviewers complain about the same thing.
On the whole, we thought that the resort was gorgeous and enjoyed ourselves a great deal. We didn't like the resort nickel and diming us for everything. WIFI is usually free at all the hotels we frequent and we couldn't bring ourselves to pay $20 a day for something that we always get for free. 15% Gratuity for a pizza that they couldn't even bring out to me (they told us to come back and get it) seems ridiculous. If I hadn't got such a good price for the room, I would be very disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the resort. We preferred the 1st floor that we were on so we didn't have to wa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our stay was simply great. From the Immigration counter at the airport to the taxi drive by Burt, who gave us a quick and thorough introduction to Nassau, to the super friendly staff at the hotel. The friendly nature of all the staff was amazing and this is a destination you should put on your list of places to see.
The hotel is not really that important since you spend most of your time in the pool or in other areas of entertainment.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Atlantis - Coral Towers? Share your experiences!