“Very Nice but VERY EXPENSIVE!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$150 in FREE Dining!
QUAKERTOWN, PA.
“Very Nice but VERY EXPENSIVE!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Although I was able to book a super low price at the Beach Towers (we were bumped up to the Coral Towers at check in which was nice) we still managed to spend a ton of money. The only thing that they give you for free is the movie theatre which shows 3 1st run movies each day. Everything else is an additional fee...not only the dolphins and sea lion encounters which you would expect, but even the fitness center comes with a $15 per day fee. Prices for food and alcohol are easily 2 to 3 times what you would normally spend ($6.50 for a local beer. $6.50 for a hot dog. $9.50 for a chilli dog.) A 15% gratuity is tacked on to everything, even at the pool snack bars for counter service. Kind of like having to give a mandatory tip at Burger King. Dinner for 4, (2 kids, 2 adults) at Virgils came out to $198 for chicken and ribs, macaroni and cheese and cornbread.
All that aside, the resort is very nice. Did not make use of the casino. Went to the waterpark every day which the kids loved. The walk through Aquarium is awesome. Rooms were much like any above average hotel room. The staff were as nice as can be and the service was about the best I've ever seen. We went to the beach one day but left after an hour because of all the vendors. We are accustomed to being approached on the beach by vendors and usually a simple no, thank you will suffice and we do sometimes buy things. I know the resort has no control over this but we were approached at the rate of about once per minute. One coconut vender just came up, told me I should buy one for the kid, lopped the top off, put a straw in and handed it to my Grandson before I could blink. As I was rifling through my back pack looking for money to pay him he started on another one! About the third time I said " I don't think I have any money with me" he stopped. I gave him $5.65 for the $7 coconut that I hadn't asked for because that's all I had at which point his helper told me that I should know enough to bring money to the beach. Several disgruntled vendors later (had to tell them I had no money) a man selling wooden flutes approached me. Told him I had no money and he got confrontational with me saying that I had promised him that I would buy a flute when he came back....not true, BTW. That is the point where I told the kids to pack eveything up and went back to the pool. Very dissapointing to go all the way to an island and then be too intimidated to make use of the beach. To sum it up, we travel 5-6 times a year and I can go almost anywhere and spend half as much to stay twice as long and have as good or better a time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The food and facilities were excellent. We stayed near by at The Comfort Suites and had access to the Atlantis facilities. There was a fantastic slide from atop a copy of a Mayan tower. It went almost vertical down and you came our in a perspec tunnel underneath a tank filled with sharks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I just returned from a great 5 day stay at the Coral Towers. I booked my trip through Bookit.com and all mandatory hotel fees (energy and room cleaning fees) were included in the booking price. I went for 5 days/4 nights on the week of November 25th and the resort was not crowded at all.

I had previously read to plan to walk a lot but I found the walk from the Coral Towers to Aquaventure quite short considering that the Beach Towers, Coral Towers and Royal Towers are all connected through an inside corridor. From the Coral Towers, I went through a small indoor shopping center, then entered the casino to finally reach the Royal Towers. From there I was able to easily reach Aquaventure by exiting the building at the right and going down the stairs.

The weather was just perfect in mid 20s Celsius. Each day I spent about 3 to 4 hours in Aquaventure and spent the rest of the day either at one of the many aquariums or at the Atlantis beaches. The beach is beautiful with powerful waves but can get deep very close to the entrance.

There are a lot of people trying to sell you things on the beach (jewelry, hair braiding, coconut drinks, jet ski tours, etc) which was quite annoying considering that even when I told them "no" they kept coming back over and over again.

That part almost ruined my vacation. I did not try the Cove beach or the Paradise beach to compare the situation therefore I cannot comment on the state of things on those beaches.

The prices of food and water was not cheap (which I expected). But there are cheaper options like Anthony's grill, Dunkin Donuts at the Paradise Shopping center which is a very short walk away from the hotel. I also tried the Marina pizzeria which is onsite on the underground floor, near the Marina. It serves delicious pizza and good pasta for the price. A 12 inch costs 25$ and a small pasta 6$. Alcohol is also very cheap at the Paradise Shopping center.

Next time I may plan a day or 2 to spend in Atlantis but will make sure to plan for other activities as I personally found that 2 or 3 days was enough to see the main fun stuff on the resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Seagoville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed during Thanksgiving week 2012. We weren't there for Battle 4 Atlantis, but that basketball tournament simply added to the fun. This was my fourth visit and my husband & daughter's third visits. We stayed in Coral Towers again, as we like being near the casino and Marina Village. Yes, it was an expensive trip, but yes, it was totally worth it. Although the wind kept shifting from North to South and was occasionally chilly, we were still able to enjoy Aquaventure. I'd just like to say that I've seen posts from travelers complaining of rude staff and poor service, but I can honestly say that in my four visits I have never, ever, even once encountered an unfriendly or rude employee at Atlantis. David, one of the bartenders at the Lagoon Bar, was wonderfully entertaining and makes a mean mango margarita. He has been working there for 20+ years. If tequila isn't one of your favorites, try David's mango daiquiri. You'll be glad you did. I was very sad to leave, and can't wait till my next trip to Atlantis!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have wanted to stay at Atlantis for as long as I can remember & finally got the chance in July. Overall the grounds were beautiful & we had a good time. There was plenty of activities to do during the day but we were surprised by the lack of night life during the week. Besides the comedy club, there wasn't much to do except go to the casino. The pools all close by 7 pm. There were no outside beach bars or beach parties in the evening. Finally on Thur & Fri night, there were lounge acts which were entertaining. Not sure why they werent playing all week. We were not impressed with the Aura night club which had been hyped all week. It was tiny, no place to sit unless you reserved a private VIP area, the dance area was small and there was only 1 bar so it was difficult to get a drink & you couldn't bring drinks up from the casino. It struck us as funny that there was more evening entertainment options geared toward teens than adults. We concluded that Atlantis is really more of a family resort.

We stayed in Coral reefs which was clean but nothing too spectacular. Our balcony overlooked the small shark lagoon which was pretty cool. We did the meal plan but aren't sure if it is worth it. We ate at the buffets for breakfast and the other restaraunts at night. Portions were so huge it would have been possible to split 1 meal at several places. Food was okay but nothing special overall. We had gone on a cruise (Oasis of the Seas) the year before so we did find ourselves comparing our experience to that.

All in all, we enjoyed the Bahamas but plan to try out somewhere else our next stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I have to say we read many Tripadvisor reviews and were concerned about our stay at the Coral Tower. I did alot of review reading and put together a list of all the tips those who stayed there gave: stay in the Ocean View tower (a little more but worth it), floor 10 or above, even # rooms (facing Royal Towers the view is gorgeous) , newly renovated. At check in I rattled all this off, I was told I really did my homework. Our room was perfect, clean, couldn't ask for better. Our experience was too notch. Dining Plan is costly but eat at the fine restaurants and it's worth every penny! Cannot wait to for back and staying in the Coral Towers. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Atlantis in Nassau for 5 nights last week. The Atlantis is definitely one of the best places I've ever stayed. We had reserved a waterview room at the Beach Tower but was upgraded to the Coral Towers when we arrived. The room was very basic and clean but the view was gorgeous! Every morning we enjoyed coffee on our balcony overlooking the property, pools and the bluest ocean. We found the staff and all the people in the Bahamas to be extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurants are expensive, as you would expect in any resort so we brought snacks and purchased bottled water away from resort to save a few dollars. We ate at Mesa Grill one evening and loved it. The Atlantis Bar and Grill was another, less expensive, good choice. The room charges are a little ridiculous, daily charges for utility service fee ($27.90) and daily Gratuity fee ($10) added to the bill is my only complaint. Overall I'm very happy with the Atlantis and Nassau and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get the water view with balcony - it's worth it!