“"wanted this to be a 5 Star resort...But"” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$200 Resort Credit!
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
SEYMOUR
“"wanted this to be a 5 Star resort...But"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Not sure where to start. First of all the good. Location is perfect. The beach on the "Reef" side of The Cove is a "10!!!"... Also, the Cain Pool for adult Cove guest only, is as good as it gets. It reminds one of a Vegas or Miami vibe, unlike the other pool areas entirely. The waterpark is awesome as well. It has some world-class slides surrounded by a very "active" lazy river that takes you to different areas and slides. (Very cleverly engineered.)The other pool areas are large and numerous, with room for families to enjoy. The Golf course at The Ocean Club is a must play while on your stay. It's got a nice layout, well taken care of, with some breathtaking views.. The Bad- the service here is hit or miss. The staff is friendly, but spend most of their day on cell phones. There's no 5 star(over the top, out of the way service). The food is also hit or miss. We did Thoroughly enjoy Nobu, with fresh fish and sushi on the menu. Carmine's- huge portions, and fairly priced. Marina Pizzaria is a nice bargain as well. But, many of the other restaurants are closed from day to day, without much notice, or apology. We weren't able to try 3-4 of the places we wanted to. Like many other reviewers, we were disappointed in the food overall. The rooms- mixed feelings here too. The room had 800+ sq, ft high up with a prime ocean view. But, the room is showing age, and the air conditioner wasn't up to par. After 3 complaints, it was finally looked at, but not actually fixed. Again, no urgency. The bathroom is rather nice and roomy, even though the water pressure is low.
Overall I give the Cove a 3.5... High marks for location and all aquatic areas including the beach. Medium marks for service and room. And sadly, low marks overall for food and value. We've stayed at nicer resorts and hotels, and have certainly stayed at worse. BUT.. these prices are in line with 5-star resorts, not 3. So, value is dropped a bit. We do plan to return next Spring, as there is plenty to lure us back. Hopefully it'll be a little more in line with the prices next time....
P.S. The celebrities were out while we were there. PGA Pro Dustin Johnson and wife, NBA Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing, and his friend Wayman Tisdale. Chef Bobby Flay from Food Network. But, Sadly we missed Mark Walburg by a few days.

• Stayed September 2013

1,367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

As much as I believe that the Atlantis is a nice resort, I cant get over the fact that I feel like I was ripped off during my recent visit. I'll get to the negatives later but let me paint a picture for you.

I stayed at the Cove which is very nice and has a great adult pool with a dj that gives it somewhat of a Vegas pool party feel but YOU MUST reserve a seat near the pool at 9am if you want to have a pool chair ( you'll definitely want a pool chair-TRUST ME)- you do this by going to the pool at 9am and leaving a towel on your seat. That's it! Of course I knew nothing about this and ended up standing by the bar but all the action is at the pool. The crowd at the pool has a nice mix of people from early 20's to late 60's singles, couples, fat, slim you name it. There's def no reason to feel out of place or uncomfortable with your body because you waited until 2 weeks before your vacation to hit the gym.

Drinks at the Atlantis resort are WAY overpriced as with everything else here so the best way to get ahead is to have your taxi stop by the liquor store before he drops you off buy a bottle! My wife and I did this and we saved a bunch. I bought 2 screwdrivers with absolute and the bill was $26.. Sweet baby Jesus!!!! Needless to say I had a pissed off wife and I drank from my own personal stash from then on. (Note to self: buy a small flask and keep it full)

FOOD HERE IS A RIPOFF!
Never ask the staff at the Atlantis for recommendations on where to eat. Made that mistake my first day here and was told to go to Marketplace which is all you can eat. In my mind I'm thinking HELL YEA!!! $112 for 2 ppl eat. Once again SWEET BABY JESUS! So ok I screwed up my next meal will be cheap I'll just go to Johnny Rockets. 2 burgers 2 fries 2 lemonades later $43.

18% gratuity is added to everything you buy.
The customer service is not what you would expect from a place like this but guess why. The employees don't get the %18 gratuity thats added on to your bill. They only get tips if you decide to add on something extra to your bill which not many ppl do when they see that gratuity is already included. I found this out from speaking to many locals and this will explain why you will get poor service because many of the employees are disgruntled by this.

After 7pm there's nothing to do on this resort unless go to the Casino which is what they want you to do. On the weekends it may be a concert or you can go to AURA nightclub where girls get in free and guys $25 and up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I felt compelled to write something about my experience at the Cove, Atlantis in Nassau, Bahamas. This holiday was a chance to celebrate my recent wedding anniversary and that of my brother and sister-in-law as well as the birth of my first child later this year. So we were all looking for a special experience and the Cove seemed able to deliver, at least as advertised. Note, we are still here as I write this, which goes some way in expressing the strength of my impressions and perhaps level of disappointment. As a doctor and scientist I always aim to be as objective and structured as possible, so here goes the breakdown…

Hotel & Room
We arrived to a fairly mediocre welcome by the door staff and concierge. No real welcome at all but plenty of information about extra charges and that pretty much nothing was complimentary. There was no surprise that there was a motion sensitive mini-bar and that a request for some empty plates and cutlery came with a delivery charge! No tour, no real guide to the resort, no real feeling that this would be the start of an experience of a lifetime.

We came to our room, which had a lovely view of the resort. The room itself seemed nice. On closer inspection, the chairs had stains and some bedsheets were torn. Stuffing was coming of the quilt! A cabinet door had come off its hinges and fell flat on the floor, nearly smacking my brother’s feet. The lights in the toilet weren’t working. We had to immediately call staff to attend. I realize there’s a massive turnover in a hotel like this, but surely there is also some level of quality control. Id like to point out at this stage that my family are fairly well travelled and have a well rounded experience of stays in hotels of this star rating. But even to us, the initial impression was that the room was not up to standard and surely requiring some update.

The lobby, reception area and main hallways of the hotel are impressive and grand. The communal areas, pools etc are reasonable and clean. The Cain private pool for Cove visitors was nice with great music and a good party feel. Beaches are lovely.

Food & Drink
Our first dining experience was at the Chop Stix Chinese restaurant at the Coral Reef. There was a massive wait so we decided to take-out. The bill was close to 100 dollars and what we received was awful. There are some tiny chinese take aways in the UK which deliver tastier food. In fact, our recurrent feeling throughout this trip was ‘what would the average American, who generally has an extremely good standard and range of food, feel about this?!’ The food was simply disgusting. Worst of all, my sister-in-law who is the only vegetarian in our party proceeded to spend the first night in the bathroom with gastric upset after eating the vegetarian noodles. Luckily, the breakfast buffet the next day at the Cove was gastric upset-free and actually very good, both in terms of quality, range and relative price. Other experiences included Carmine’s Italian – met expectations based on my previous experience at the NYC branch. Johnny Rockets Hamburgers however was also awful. The worst burgers I have ever tasted in a restaurant. What has amazed me, coming from the states and receiving a US style set-up at the Cove is the massive difference in level of quality from basic US standards, particularly in relation to food. The US visitors I met agreed with me on most accounts. I didn’t mind paying the price but not getting even a basic standard of quality was ridiculous. We plan to go to Nobu tonight and have 5 other Nobu restaurants around the world that weve visited to compare this to, so keeping fingers crossed!

Staff & Courtesy
The resort staff were generally friendly and courteous. There is however an obvious lack of communication, particularly in relation to the weather changes and opening and closure of the aqua park and pools. Id say there was probably a 50% hit rate on whether a staff member was friendly enough to help versus those who simply looked like they had something more important to do or weren’t really interested.

On our first morning, my wife and I thought we’d go for a walk along the beach. We decided to pick up a coffee part way and came off the beach onto some paved area near one of the hotel pools. Broken glass everywhere and children running around. I immediately told my pregnant wife to be careful but she had already stepped on a small piece. We reported this to the lifeguard nearby and spoke to a member of staff who took us to the hotel nurse. She successfully removed the glass piece and gave us instructions to contact the ‘Cove Security Investigation’ team. The nurse was lovely. After waiting for an hour for this team to get back to us, we were told there would be an even longer wait. We finally arranged to see them but there was no real feeling that they were treating this matter seriously. Our first full conversation with management was the following day who asked what our ‘expectations’ for compensation were. This was naturally an awkward question. My wife and sister-in-law went for a complimentary facial. No surprises that the cheapest and most basic one was booked for them. My brother and I were invited to the 15 dollar a day gym.

Call backs have been shocking and management still don’t seem to understand the seriousness of the injury and potential complications of post-traumatic wound infections in pregnancy.

Overall
This was NOT a five / four and a half star experience as advertised.
The taxi driver that had originally driven us from the airport filled us in on the crazy and inflated prices around the island and particularly at the Atlantis. Naturally, as the first person in Nassau we spoke to, we wanted to take some time to make our own judgments. We didn’t really need it, he was right…
What he didn’t comment on was quality. We are used to inflated prices coming from Europe but usually we receive a certain level of quality in our products. The Cove achieves the worst combination. It excels at charging extremely inflated prices and also manages to deliver extremely poor quality on many aspects.

We were planning to visit the Atlantis resort in Dubai in the near future based on this trip. We will definitely be thinking twice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We traveled with our 5 and 8 year old children. the Atlantis is a very nice family resort. It started with an easy flight from Baltimore to Nassau and clearing customs was a breeze. I recommend hiring a cab from the airport to the resort as it only costs about between $40-$48 each way. Make a stop at the local liquor store on the way and pick up your adult beverages.
We stayed at the Cove due to the location, the views, and semi privacy. Well worth it.
As with any really nice family vacation, expect to spend about $800/day. The food and drink is good but expensive which is expected. There is a gratuity of 15% slapped on every drink or food purchase.
Aside from the basic water park activities, everything À la carte so be prepared to spend some money.
The trip was worth the money!

Room Tip: The Cove is a must. Request water view and upper level floor.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

True the front desk could be a little helpful --- it would be nice to point out the new services the hotel had to offer. The room could have been better prepare and no need to call the front desk upon arrival. No working TV remote, no bathrobes and the cabinet shelf was not in working condition. The staff simple fix was to remove the shelf and prop it against the couch. Oh well wasnt going to let those details ruin our vacation since we were at the pool all day long. The cabanas were a great additional we were able to leave our stuff in the safe and off we went as a family. No need to take turn staying behind. Service at the cabana was excellent - nice and helpful staff. The staff at the cabana ask us if would like one during our stay. Again something that the front staff should have pointed out.

Apart from the front desk minor hiccup we had a fabalous time. Resort always clean, friendly staff and great on security.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a child over the age 11, avoid the lower floors too noisy. Rooms above th...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

i never considered altantis, i dont know why but hadnt.. as a result with the exception of booking the cove i didnt really research the entire property.. this trip i booked to give as a bday gift.. that said..i realy enjoyed it.. the staff were on there game from the time, we pulled up- smooth checkin and great view overlookinh ocean, pool, waterpark etc-

clean well laid out rooms, fully stocked refriferator ( you touch- you pay) two sink bathroom, with nice tub and shower, nighttime turn down service

if i were travelling with young kids- i might pick a nother buidling- maybe reef or royal..

beach- beach is perfect, great fish watching in clear waters, and love the chairs with individual covers on each one- if you want to be lazy someone comes and takes orders for you or you can stroll over and order yourself- the food at the main beach place is ok.. being honest, the food at the adults only pool/CAIN for the cove was very good and worth the extra $,,,

cain @ the cove ppol- this is grown & sexy , miami type stuff- its the 20's being 20, 30's wishing they were 20 and 40+ thinking about what is what like to be 20 and 30 :-) can play game tables, listen to DJ and feel like you are in another place ...

omg- water park- loved it, the slides, the river rides..all of it- its like being a kid for anyone - young and old all walks of life everone was having a ball..

getting around- again..lazy man.. shuttle your way around property, wanna burn some fat..walking is do able

casino- lost money all day every day but still had fun, the marina is great to walk night time, ben & jerrys, and shops over there and to look at the expensive yachts parked on that side, plus parade was fun at night time...

dining-- people say its expensive.. its really up to you- high end,, nobu was ok, but i was hingry enough after to go to mesa for late night appetizers and drinks five hours later ( delicious)..carmines was good eats, but felt with two people alot of food went to waste.. olives ..crunchy clamari, nice steak and good drinks.. and then.. if you dont want that.. there are buffets, theres a quizno, theres a pizza place, there are options -- for every body!

the fish - i could stare at them all day long, sharks and sting rays and everything under the sun- in the royal tower, at the water park , at the cove... so beautiful- im sure the people who work there take it for granted- but its so special to see and appreciate these creatures...

last but not least- no didnt swim with the dolphins, walk with shark s, do anything with sting rays, go to spa, or swim in the lap pool- but you can ...

jet skis at the far edge of property - not provided by hotel - but are available $140 was worth the hour ride...couldnt be missed.. safe travels!

Room Tip: one side views ocean and reef tower, other side ocean and entire property and royal tower, the highe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wyckoff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This August was our fourth trip to the Atlantis Cove property. This is a great family destination for all ages. Our boys ages range from 8 to 16. As many reviews state...the cost factor is high. Our problem is the fact that with these five star prices, you are now receiving a 3 star experience. The property is not being maintained and wear and tear is starting to show. Staffing seems to be not as plentiful as in the past. For example, it took two days for our rooms to be properly cleaned. We had Mr. Chambers(MOD) as well as the housekeeping manager up to our rooms. Our boys room had an odor that was unbearable to me...they eventually had someone fix that problem. My room was never really cleaned(won't get into the details)and I was not very comfortable. Not to mention...no robes, slippers or coffee set up when we checked in. NO ONE is on top of the details!! My husband and I were also disappointed in the service and cleanliness of the adult pool(the Cain). We were one of the first to open this pool/bar five or so years ago and it is on the decline as well. It was something to be seen, now the towels are old, no one is setting up your lounges for you, there is debris floating in the pool and no one is around to offer bar service. Night and day from a few years ago. Restaurants are on the decline in my opinion as well. Cafe Martinique and Mesa Grill were so so...which is ridiculous if you saw our bill. Carmines was very good. If not for our three boys and friends, we would not be staying at the Atlantis.

Room Tip: If staying in the Cove...get a high floor room(elevators are fast and not an issue) and further out...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Cove Atlantis? Share your experiences!