“Great for families and vacations; not the greatest for business meetings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cove Atlantis

Offers & Announcements
$200 Resort Credit!
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Columbus, Ohio
“Great for families and vacations; not the greatest for business meetings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I assisted in the planning and execution of an incentive business meeting for 100 at Atlantis in April of 2013. The Cove Tower was beautiful, and the rooms were amazingly appointed and gorgeous. I especially liked the Red Flower guest amenities - they smelled so gorgeous and lathered so well that I plan to buy some from the company itself. Our guests loved the property and the amenities available to them. As a meeting planner, however, I had some concerns about the services I received at the hotel for the meeting. While the food was delicious and all our events went off well, it took lots of follow-up to make sure things went according to our expectations. It seemed that there wasn't a lot of communication between the different departments of the hotel, and that caused some challenges. Also be aware how very far the meeting/conference center is from the Cove Tower - it seemed well over a mile, maybe two! I should have rented a Segway! There's lots going on at this property, and it's definitely a destination resort - but maybe too much for business meetings.

Room Tip: The ocean views are amazing - I had a view of the cove and could watch the cruise ships departing ea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

1,365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Cove is the nicest of the Hotels at Atlantis. It's proximity to water park , beach, and pools are great. The two private pools for the Cove are not busy and very nice. Young families may consider the Royal as it is closer to water slides and more centrally located. There is also a Cartoon Network beach area with obstacle climbing in a lagoon to open in just a few days in front of Royal. The dig(aquariums) is also there. Things are pricey, but when you consider the upkeep on the grounds, pools and habitat it cost a lot to maintain. The eating areas seem to be geared for grab and go during the day and around water park...ok for kids, but not a lot of options unless you go inside. The only real service restaurant outside is the lagoon bar and grill which has a great atmosphere to observe sharks, barracuda,tarpon and others fish. There is a great viewing area of caves under the restaurant . Nearly all of the staff were fantastic. Very friendly and helpful.There were a few at the outdoor grills workers, slide operators that may not have cared for their jobs much.the Mesa was fantastic. Wish I could remember our waiters name as my husband and I agreed that he was one of the best that we EVER have had. Mosaic is great for dinner and breakfast buffet if you are hungry! Pricey if you just want a little. No lines either. The Royal always had lines at their buffet restaurant that were extremely long. We were traveling with a 10 year old boy that was big enough to do all water slides. He of course LOVED the resort and wants to plan a trip back. I am sure that we will! There is a new resort being built called Bahamar. It is to open December 2014. There is a website. Apparently it will be bigger and nicer than Atlantis but does not seem geared towards kids. More gambling and golf. I do not think there will be a water park. The best times to do watermark is right when it opens or late afternoon after cruise ship people leave and crowds clear out. I felt bad for cruise ship people as they pay a few and are put through a tour and limited as to where they can order food. Some had to go one place for adults and another for their kids.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor with a great view of ocean.
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a lovely property in the middle of frantic/loud/sometimes vulgar Atlantis.

What we loved: The pool areas (especially the one just for adults but even the one for families) and the beach areas are outstanding with comfortable sitting, regular drink service (no more expensive than the rest of Atlantis). If you forget your sunscreen: no problem, there is plenty available at the towel huts. Towels, by the way, are plentiful and handed without stupid restrictions. Starbucks at the Reef is particularly comfortable. Shuttles take you everywhere including the Dune restaurant (at the One and Only Ocean Club), which we very highly recommend, but ask to sit outside. The onsite restaurants are great: plentiful buffet breakfast at Mosaic, great food at Mesa and very nice ambience/drinks on the outside terrace of the bar. Concierges were helpful and friendly. Awesome bed. Awesome bathroom. Fantastic view of the Ocean and resort (all rooms have ocean views either to the east or west).

What we enjoyed less: $20 per day for internet though it is for up to 4 devices and also a few minutes of free internet per day are available at the library on the Atlantis resort. There is no fitness facility unless you use Atlantis's which costs $15 per day (if you stay at Harborside, the fitness facility there is modest but free). Also the service was...a mixed bag from very friendly to downright hostile when we arrived (briefly hostile but enough to mar the first impression we had).

All and all would strongly recommend the cove (or the reef or harborside) for anyone staying at Atlantis as all these sites provide a refuge against the madness of the place. This was a very nice refuge.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had been to Atlantis about 6 years ago and my expectations were high but I came home disappointed. When my company told us our president's club was at The Cove, I was cautiously optimistic because I had heard good things about it being more quiet and that the adult pool was a lot of fun.

Overall, I would give it a 6.5. For the kind of money you're spending on a room ... $600-$1,200 ... I expect superb service, food, amenities. This didn't hit the mark. It was very nice, don't get me wrong, but I would only go back if it were for another company trip. I would not spend that kind of money out of pocket. It is not the paradise you might get the impression it is. There is only one of those and that is Hawaii. Spend the extra $ and go there or else you'll be disappointed.

Pro's
The staff, overall, are pleasant ... They just never seem to be there when you need them.
Bobby Flay's is incredible and Mosaic has a good brunch.
They were very accommodating when we asked to move our room because we didn't get the
end suite we had asked for when we arrived.
The room, while a bit dated, had a gorgeous view of the harbor and the ocean. It was quite
spectacular, actually. Great big bathroom and jacuzzi.
We had an island party and catamaran adventure that were really fantastic.
For our morning meetings at the conference center, the breakfast buffet was really good.
Nobu was perfect.

Cons
Way, way overpriced. Example: 1 diet coke and 2 piña coladas = $50.
Average lunch would cost you $75
Be careful to watch your receipts. They add 18% to everything and don't tell you. There was a
lot of double tipping going on before I realized it.
Very disappointed with the spa staff. It felt like a production line and the masseuse I had actually
hurt me with her "deep tissue" massage. Honestly, I'm not confident she was licensed. Not
Good. I had to keep telling her over and over to take it easy.
Any time you needed anything, no matter where you were on the resort, there never seemed to
be anyone around. You would see staff walking around in groups and you'd expect the
Service to be 5 star but it took forever to get food or drinks or anything.
The first lunch we had was at the adult pool and it was really windy. The waiter brought our
chips and guacamole. When he uncovered the bowl of chips they flew all over the place and he
Said, oops, and walked away. No lie.
The first brunch I had at Mosaic ... They had no cream for coffee. I'm like ... How do you run
out of cream for coffee! The waitress was rude too.

Room Tip: Ask for an end suite. Read your receipts for everything ... they include gratuities in everything...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just got home from Atlantis. Had a wonderful time. I was booked on a package which included hotel and airfare, I had paid for a garden room at Royal Towers, Imagine my delight when I was upgraded to a suite at The Cove with an ocean view, with no increase in price. Gorgeous suite! Most beautiful bathroom I ever saw!. Being at the Cove, gives you access to the cascade pool, the cain pool(adults only) and the cove beach. All are uncrowded and special. You still have access to all the other areas of the complex including the pools. beach, and waterpark. You can walk everywhere, but it can get hot or if you travel alone like me, you will appreciate the free shuttles which go everywhere. Never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes to go anywhere! Staff very polite and helpful. Security top notch! You show your room key for access and multiple places. Towels at the beach and pools plentiful. I was treated like a queen! I saved some money by not taking the meal plan. I went to the fine dining restaurants and paid much less than the dining plan. I do not eat soup or salad and did not order appetizers so my bill was less than the plan. I only ate a big breakfast once, which is typical for me. I brought my own individual cereals from home, which is more than I normally eat at home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The water park area is very loud (which is fine for a few days but I mean LOUD music) but the kids had a great time. The property is huge, with lots of restaurants. Unfortunately, we made dinner reservations a week before we got there and the only options were very late. Once sat, the service was great...and so was the food. The hotel service was OK. The front desk does not seem to care so much about complaints...I did not have a complaint, but our friends we travelled with called several times to have the pull out couch made into a bed for their son. At 2am they all squeezed into the queen size bed (their son is 11).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just went to Atlantis with my family on June 4th. I booked us at The Royal Towers, but when we arrived they said it was over-booked. We got a free upgrade to The Cove. This is a new all suites hotel, very clean and modern. We were disappointed we couldn't stay at The Royal Towers, this seems to be where everything is happening; shopping, attractions, the casino.
The Cove is off by itself and quieter than the other properties at Atlantis. It seems this would be a better place for couples. There was some families with children here, but the other hotels are more geared to families. We enjoyed the Cove, our room was a small suite with a great ocean view. We however took the free shuttle to The Royal Towers every day and spent most of our time there when not in the pools.
Atlantis overall was wonderful, the staff is very friendly and helpful. We found it strange though that all the pools and water attractions close at 7:00pm. Guess they want to get everyone inside to spend their money. We are definitely going back and will make sure we stay in The Royal Towers. If you go, do the same if you have children, either there or the Beach Tower or Coral Tower. The Cove is great for a honeymoon or couples vacation. Also, be sure to get the meal plan, food is very expensive. We had the plan, but still got our check at the end of each meal. Dinner at their best restaurants ranged from $150 to $250 for three people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Cove Atlantis? Share your experiences!