“the cove for a retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$200 Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
MASS
“the cove for a retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went to The Cove as part of a sales incentive trip (group). I very much enjoyed the resort as it was secluded and devoid of the usual beach vendors. The Cove gives you access to the entire resort- which is very nice when you get stopped at the "check points". While the fine food was expensive and not great, the overall service was good and the best buy was the Cascades beach bar where you get a great jerk chicken for about 10 bucks.

I found the staff friendly and courteous.

I loved the water park and the lazy river was a great distraction- even with a large group of adults.

THe room was well appointed and I appreciated the maid service as well.

The Spa was "ok" and not worth the high fee- I had a massage which i would rate "average" but for a premium price. Typical for a resort, though.

Room Tip: Use the foodstore2go.com to delivery alcohol and water directly to your room. You can get a case of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I attended a business conference the at the end of Jan 2013. The Cove Tower was beautiful . The beds were very comfortable,the room very clean and generously sized, the bathroom was huge all marble and granite and our view was beautiful. We were on the side where you could watch the cruise ships enter the harbor.
The many pools,water park and aquariums were very clean and my husband and I had lots of fun on the slides. No waiting in line either. This whole resort is huge and impressive but very expensive for the food and the resort fee that is charged daily. We ate at the Mesa Grill and it was very good but pricy. The beach/pool huts also had good food. If you have children, bring lots of peanut butter and jelly. The is a good family restaurant across the street from the Marina Village that has Pizza and other food at better prices.
This is a beautiful resort with a lot to do. I was glad that the price of the room included the water park.
By the way, there is a lot of security there,many guards,but very nice employees, kind and polite.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other towers, But The Cove was excellent.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Palm Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you want to feel like you're being robbed. Stay at the Cove. On arrival, they demanded $400 in cash at the front desk that they never returned. Each eight hours, they turned off my key, forcing me to go to the front desk and give them my credit card yet again. In the end, they charged me nearly triple what I had reserved my room for. Save your self a trip!

Room Tip: Try to get one without all night long elevator noise. The door is paper thin so you will hear parti...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Don’t get me wrong, the room was nice but definitely not a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. The bed was old and quite uncomfortable. Atlantis may want to call Starwood and ask about their heavenly bed line, it would help! The shower took a good 5 minutes to get warm which I know sounds trivial but having to wait a minimum of 5 minutes for each shower gets old fast. Overall, the room was definitely worn and had many imperfections (e.g. chips in the wall, broken/stained furniture, TV that worked only half of the time). We had a suite that had stairs at the base of the bed that led us down to the living area… sounds nice right? We almost broke our neck numerous times bc it seems the housekeeping polishes them every day to the point that we jumped over the stairs to avoid the Americas Funniest Home Videos slip and slide moment… or emergency room visit depending on one’s morbid outlook.

Our suite was on the club level which comes with its own private concierge. The club mimics the Ritz with this special club level and I do give them points, it was quite nice to have snacks and drinks readily available. Where it fails is the service. The staff at Atlantis has the attitude that nothing can go wrong with any of their facilities, restaurants or employees. When we attempted to tell the concierge how bad the food was at the pool bar/restaurant the look on his face was utter shock. He did not apologize, he did not even attempt to offer an excuse, rather a blank stare as if we were aliens that had just landed on Earth.

Another issue I found with Atlantis was the waiters. An automatic 18% tip is added to all bills. Instead of dropping the check and letting one decide if additional gratuity should be added, the waiters stand over your shoulder, hovering to force you into giving them more money. I would be happy to tip at least 20% but not with that bullyesque attitude of theirs. We also noticed when we didn’t give more than 18% their entire demeanor shifted 180 degrees and we became the scum of the earth (keep in mind at all restaurants we ordered multiple appetizers, cocktails, wine and dessert so we weren’t on the value plan).

For more detail on the restaurants, I’ll be quick and to the point.
Café Martinque = decent but the only place where the waiter didn’t hover and actually had manners, hence he received a 25% tip.

Nobu = what a joke, I’ve eaten at Nobu NYC and Vegas, the only nexus I saw to this Nobu and the ones stateside was the name itself. The sushi here was miniscule portions, rude and VERY LOUD wait staff – not professional, prices twice/three times that of the other Nobus and just overall seemed more like a night club than a fine dining restaurant.

Dune = Don’t sit outside, there are wild cats that bother you the entire night. I was forced to splash water on one (relax PETA – I’m a cat lover and grew up with 3 cats but when you are trying to enjoy a nice meal on vacation I’d prefer not to have feral cats claw at my leg).

Mosaic = Best meal we had and a bargain mind you. All of the other places charge an arm and a leg. Look I don’t mind paying for excellent food but I do mind paying higher than NYC Michelin star prices for subpar food. The buffet had fantastic food with tons of options for a more than reasonable price. Unfortunately we discovered it the last day.

One last word of advice – go to the fish fry!! We went to Andros and it was sooooooo good, probably the best meal of our trip.

Oh almost forgot – don’t even think about room service at the cover. The creamed spinach had twigs/sticks throughout the side dish, disgusting, they would argue it was rosemary stems. The pasta had the weirdest texture I’ve experienced, the burger was asked to be cooked medium and it was legit burnt oh and it came a good 1.5 hours after the call.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillsdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Cove, a separate tower within the mega resort of Atlantis, is a quiet and beautiful place to vacation. The rooms are all large and spacious. We had what they call the "Dolphin Suite" which overlooked the ocean and their dolphin experience area. No matter where you went within the Cove, all personnel said hello - no matter what they were doing. The Adult Only pool (strictly for The Cove guests) was serene and beautiful. It was actually 3 pools in one area.
A big shout out to Valnardo Dean, one of the managers at The Cove who seemed to know everyone's name as well as their likes and dislikes. He took care of us well. Also a big thank you to Jeremie at the front desk for his smile and upbeat attitude. The other towers within Atlantis are more Disneyland/Atlantic City type hotels with the hustle and bustle and crowded everywhere. Having a huge open are lobby area was wonderful
Should you decide to go to Atlantis and you don't want overpowering and overcrowded lobbys, The Cove is your place.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at the Cove for six nights. The room was great with ocean view but comparable to other rooms where we stayed at carribean resorts that were less expensive. The waterpark was fun but the pools and rapids did not feel heated so I was comfortable when it was 80 degrees but cold when it was 73 and cloudy. All of the restaraunts on the property stop serving food at 10 pm so there were a few nights we lost track of time and had to order room service. The room service food was overpriced ($90 for breakfast for 2) ($100 for dinner for 2) and the service was slow but the food was good for room service. We ate at Mesa one night and found it average. We at at Nobu one night and the service was terrible but the miso Chilean sea bass and sushi dinner were great. You do not NEED resevations for the fancy restaraunts. you can find a table in the lounge or bar area without prior arrangements. Although we thought the Cove was adults only, three of our mornings there we heard children crying outside our door very early. The Cain pool exclusive to adults staying at the cove was also not heated. The music playing in that area was very loud. The outdoor gambling available by that pool has a $25 dolar minimum, higher than inside the casino on the other end of the resort. A snack size bag of fruit or veggies at the outdoor cafes will cost you $13. The transit lounge on the first floor has a bowl of apples if you need a peice of fruit. Drinks are also expensive. My advice: the place is huge, fun, expensive and over stimulating. If you decide to go, plan a long weekend, not a week. If you can't justify spending $30 to $50 every morning on breakfast, there is a Starbucks in the Reef, next door. Stop at the desk in the morning to get your wristband daily. when you walk around the property, you will be asked frequently to show your room key or bracelet and the bracelet is way more convenient. There is a market across from the marina, off property, where you can get fruit, bread, cereal, snacks and water for much less than the resort charges. Go on the river rapids! Gamble at small tables and drink "for free" in the casino. Go to Nobu if you don't live in New York. See the aquarium. Have a snack at the outdoor tables at the Dolphin Cay before deciding if you want to pay for the "experience." Have a meal at the restaraunt in the towers where the fish tanks are located. Plan it during a feeding for optimal viewing. Ask for an odd numbered room if you want a view with more ocean and less waterpark. Buy a bottle of liquor, wine, whatever, on your way from the airport to enjoy in your room, etc if you plan on drinking as the drinks are expensive on the property. See a free movie in the theatre one evening if you feel like taking it easy. go snorkeling! Most importantly, enjoy your trip! Remember that the place is expensive but you are meant to relax on vacation, not count money.

• Stayed March 2013
MONTREAL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

First let me say I have been to this property at least 5 times so I have obviously enjoyed the hotel. But things have changed. Rooms are becoming a little shabby, with no changes being done since our first visit. The Cain pool is still great, but the prices are becoming outrageous. A bottle of Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita($23.50 in town) costs you $120 at the pool. I understand markup, but why does this bottle go from $70 at Atlantis restaurants(a hefty, but somewhat affordable upcharge) to $120 at the pool? Little children are now found everywhere except at Cain. I understand this policy, but it sure makes a $200 a lot less romantic when kids are screaming and running around the restaurant. Hard to sleep when kids are running and playing in the hotel corridors at 8 in the morning. I was surprised that no one at the front desk remarked that it was nice to have us back to stay at their hotel. Guess they don't care about repeat business. Could not get a seat in or at the Mesa restaurant bar, as it doubles as a playground for toddlers. Service is still polite and efficient. Suggestions: Make the Cove tower adult only in all respects. No kids allowed in the restaurants, rooms, and any other facilities in the Cove tower. Check your prices. I stay 100+ nights in hotels per year over the last 25 years, and The Cove ranks near the bottom in terms of value for your dollar. Some of the hotels I've stayed at in the past 12 months include: Wynn Las Vegas, Montages Beverly Hills, The London New York, The Hassler Roma, and The Caruso in Ravello. All are less expensive and better that the Cove. The Cove has lost a frequent visitor who can no longer tolerate a fading hotel. We won't be back next year and may visit Baha Mar when it opens in 2014.

Room Tip: Sun is best from rooms facing the Reef tower
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cove Atlantis? Share your experiences!