“Great Vacation - Just Set Expecations” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$200 Resort Credit!
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Cary, North Carolina
“Great Vacation - Just Set Expecations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

You will love Atlantis IF it suits your vacationing style. Any bad reviews just mean that The Cove was not the right vacation for them. Atlantis is basically a big Las Vegas resort hotel plopped on a beautiful beach in the Bahamas. So, if you like that kind of thing, you will not go wrong. In full-disclosure, Atlantis did not fit our style (i.e. we love the peaceful quiet of Turks & Caicos). However, we had a wonderful time.

LIKES: Open-air and cool vibe hotel entrance. Bathrooms are huge and very well-done. Beautiful beach with calm, turquoise-colored water. Beach chairs are padded and very relaxing. Amazing breakfasts at Mosaic with almost anything you could imagine ($31 + gratuity). Great lunches at the Cain Pool and Sea Glass ($20 for sandwiches). Delicious dinner restaurants (big plug for Nobu). Really fun to hit the Aquaventure water park slides each afternoon (recommend going after 3:30pm). The Mandara Spa was very nice. And finally, the Dolphin Shallow Water experience was very fun.

NOT SO GREATS: The adults-only Cain pool is one of the coolest pools in photos only (not actually in-person). It is hip-hop playing, heavy bass pounding, Club Cove. It's the plastic pool :) It is definitely not for relaxation, book-reading, or even listening to your own music. Also, everything is crazy expensive. Before you go, just accept that everything is very, very expensive. You have to suspend your concept of reality on how much things should cost. E.g. a bottle of water is $4 to $6. Going to the gym is $15. Internet is $20/day. Your hotel bill will be littered with fees. So, you will not have fun if you're constantly thinking about the $$$, because it's just insane.

TIPS: Stay in upper floors of hotel for better views. Go to Starbucks if you want to save a few bucks on bfast (it's still expensive for what you get!). Buy water bottles before getting to hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Rooms are very nice and plenty of amenities throughout this resort style hotel. Aside from the front desk check-in, what really stood out was the service. Everybody was courteous and pleasant. We had a minor room issue that could have been handled better by the front desk staff. Nevertheless, it was addressed in due course and the vacation proceeded. The Atlantis complex is spectacular and has everything needed for a wide variety of travellers. Be prepared to dig into your wallet however. Everything is quite expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

At the Cove 2/6-2/10. Room 8801, on the corner, could see the ocean, the pools, and dolphin cay - loved it - Fabulously soundproof Sliding Glass Doors.
After reading some of the reviews, I was expecting the staff to be ..... perhaps "unfriendly"....... nothing could be further from the truth, everyone we passed spoke to us, asked us how we were enjoying the trip, and whether there was anything they could do to help us? While the Food WAS expensive, I found it to be very good quality, even th hamburgers at the pool. I'd say if anyone spends ANY time researching before they book here, there shoudl be no surprises about the food cost, and therefore no unfair "shocking" reviews.......Best Filet Mignon I have had a Bobby Flay's ( Mesa Grill). Both the DInner Buffet at the Market Place and the Mosaic were very good. seems to be more choices at the Market Place.
I have one HUGH complaint, prior to going I set my heart on being at the Cain, adults only, to relax, read with no "kid" distractions................ The Music is too loud, and is 2 am night club BOOM< BOOM< BOOM music, in no fashion was that area condusive to adult relaxation.... I was extremely disappointed with the atmosphere in that area - it would have been better with children, than the pounding techno music incessentlyplaying. I would call it a YOUNG adult 18-27 area, to give a better description of what to expect. We spent our time at the upper deck pool between the Cove and the Reef, it was Quiet, relaxing and not as populated as the pools in the Royal area.
piece of advice, tip your room attendant on the FIRST day, not at the end of your trip.

Previously I had stayed in both the Beach Tower and the Royal tower. I enjoyed the Cover much better, and would go back there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I treated myself to a 40th birthday present to the Cove in Atlantis. I brought my daughter and mother with me as well. We had a great time. We got to the hotel around check in time. They first were giving us a room on a low floor, however I requested and said we would wait for a higher floor. Luckily, they were able to find us one that was ready with 2 beds fairly quickly. The staff is very friendly and helpful, can't say enough about them. Our room was beautiful and the view was breathtaking! It was very spacious and the bathrooms were huge. The beds were very comfortable, and I like that you stepped down to a seperate lounging area from where the beds were. The balconies are not big, if you want to bring a chair out to the balcony you have to angle it sideways just to get it to fit. The hotel was very clean and the staff works non-stop to make the hotel and the grounds stay that way. We did our morning walk to Starbucks everyday which is next store at the Reef, and then would walk the beach. We had a special when we booked our reservation for free daily breakfast. So we would have a late buffet breakfast at Mosaic everyday that would hold us over until dinner. The breakfast was fantastic and they had a great variety of foods to choose from. They had a made to order omelet station that was really nice. It was a great bargain to get such a filling and delicious breakfast each morning for free. The pool area at the Cove is very nice and spacious. We went in mid-October so it closes early, around 6pm. There was plenty of chairs, which are very comfortable at the COve, unlike the chairs at the Royal Towers! The beach is right near the pool, and a quick walk to it, but there was a sign posted saying it was jellyfish season, so I avoided going in the ocean. When my daughter was at the kids camp one day, my Mom and I went to the adult only pool. It was nice and comfortable with music playing. The Royal Towers was a lot of fun and a quick walk to it. Again, we went on the off season, so the lines weren't bad for the waterslides and we all absolutely loves the "lazy" river, which has some great waves and is so much fun to spend a few hours on! My daugther went to the Kids camp a few nights and really enjoyed herself. She is 10 and they had a lot of activities and the staff was very friendly. THey had theme nights and she had a great time participating in all the activities. She also did a cooking class and got to take home her creation which she also really enjoyed. It was worth the price. My mom and I went to the Casino the two different nights my daughter went to the kids camp. The casino is okay, the drinks are very small, but we had a good time, and I won the night we were there on my 40th birthday so that was a treat! The casino is right by the Marina, and its nice to take a walk through the Marina and see all of the amazing yachts that are docked there. Unbelieveable! We also went to Doplhin Cay for the shallow water interaction. It was a lot of fun, it went by quick though. It was an amazing experience and one we would do again. My daughter and I said we would want to do the trainer for the day though to have more time there.
As for the restaurants, they are pricey but also good. The first night we ate at Seafire Steakhouse, it was okay for me (I'm a vegetarian so not a whole lot of options for me). My mother and daughter enjoyed it though. They had a kids menu here so that made it more affordable. We had an offer for a free drink, but it could only be used for mixed drinks not wine or beer, so that was a waste for me. Another night we ate at Mesa Grill which is right at the Cove. We all enjoyed it very much, the food was great and the margaritas were delicious! Again pricey, but good. Our favorite was the Courtyard Terrace at the One & Only Ocean club. You can take the shuttle they offer there from the Cove. The dining area is just beautiful, the staff is very attentive and the food was amazing. We loved it! I would say if you had to pick anywhere to go to dinner it should be there.
We had a great trip to the Cove and I would definitly go back again and probably again in October, given the smaller crowds and the weather still being great.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to get a better view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

PROS:
As it was a 25th anniversary trip, they sent us up a beautiful plate of delicious chocolate-dipped strawberries and champagne. Very nice touch.
Dolphin Cay was good.
Cafe at the Great Hall of Waters was good.
Nobu was good.
Cafe Martinique was excellent.

CONS:
Arrived with our dinner reservations made in advance, as per the directions on the website. When we showed up on arrival they gave us the message that our Saturday restaurant would be closed on Saturday! Couldn't notify us beforehand? All their restaurants book up early, had to do some scrambling to find one to replace it.
Expensive room; when we walked in, toilet was running, nuts on floor, one bathrobe and slippers missing (there were hangers for two), some amenities were also missing. We flushed the toilet, problem fixed. Technician shows up at the door an hour later, said we called for service. We never did! He insisted a guest from this room called, so we eventually figured out that our room was first given to someone else, who did something to the toilet, called for service, took a few things, and left. Front desk didn't bother to have problem fixed or to check to see if room was clean and stocked before reassigning it to us!
We asked for housekeeping for just one day of our four day visit. We were out of tissues, running low on toilet paper, needed some towels replaced. Housekeeping came when we were out, made bed, took towels and didn't leave fresh ones, still no tissues, didn't leave toilet paper, nuts were still on floor (therefore no vacuuming) and room gratuity included in price. (Still gave a tip when we called housekeeping for towels, toilet paper and tissues!)
Workout facilities: equipment a little rusty, some machines not working, not much ventilation in room, disinfectant dispenser empty, classes cancelled because not enough people (though they didn't adjust the $15 per person per day charge for the fitness facility where they advertised classes would be included with the price!).
Spa services: Arrived at 11:10 for an 11:30 appointment, was taken (already in my robe) into room at 11:30, then aesthetician disappears for 15 minutes! Came back, spent 45 minutes doing my facial, and then led me out - but I'd paid for one of the most expensive 60 minutes facials! I complained, they did nothing except give me an extra pass for the fitness centre. Oh - 15% gratuity automatically added to the price here.
Waterpark - decided to try The Current rapid river ride. Warnings said beware if pregnant, if you have neck, back, or other problems, said glasses need to be strapped to head, remove hats, etc. Keep your arms and legs in, your bum not too low, etc. Got in and . . . nothing. Barely moved. We paddled, tried to get some momentum. Rapids were more like a good jacuzzi than a rapid. Every 20 feet we'd pass another snoozing lifeguard - eventually asked one of them if there was something wrong with the ride? They said no, they just turn down the waves because the resort is not busy. What the ???? Didn't turn down the price! Didn't turn down the gratuities! Didn't warn us that rides would be 'turned down' in the advertisements before our trip!
Murray's Deli - good food, huge portions. Went there for lunch the first day, went back another day to split a sandwich, but had to wait a few minutes for seating. Then noticed, right in front of the restaurant reception desk - a big pool of vomit. VOMIT! So we sat, kept jumping up to warn people not to step in it, but the staff did nothing. Eventually they threw a sheet of newspaper over it, but still didn't clean up this smelly, revolting mess. Then we thought - what the heck are we doing? Who wants to eat food that produced that mess! And why isn't anyone cleaning it up (could it be because gratuities are included in price? No incentive??). So we went to Ben & Jerry's for an ice cream instead.
Miscellaneous: Here's a problem that should have been fixed ten years ago: the standing maps positioned throughout the resort. We looked at one to check where we were going on the first day. The map showed us where we were (marked 'You are here') and, for example, the Cove was to the left of the map, the marina and fitness facilities to the right of the map. As I am standing on one side looking at this map, my husband went on the other side of the map since they had one on both sides, so you could look at it coming from either side of the sidewalk. So we were standing like mirror images on opposite sides of the map, but his side showed the EXACT same map on the reverse side of the board! So what he saw from his 'You are here' marker was that the Cove was to HIS left, and the marina and fitness facilities to HIS right! Anyone checking the map from his side of the sidewalk would have been given the wrong directions and instructed to go precisely opposite to where they wanted to go! And we noticed this same problem on EVERY one of the posted maps!!
Around the basketball court steps there were holes where, apparently, there were once lights. However, the lights had been removed, and in some cases the holes were covered with pieces of wood. In many cases, though, the holes were not covered. Were these live wires? How safe can that be?
Shuttle buses - well, good luck. If they say it will arrive "in four minutes" or "in eight minutes", get a newspaper and make yourself comfortable. Might be half an hour.

CONCLUSION:
We hope the dolphins and other marine life at Atlantis are being looked after better than the rest of the facilities!

Room Tip: When in doubt, change rooms.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The cove is really the only place to stay at Atlantis. It's a great facility... But...

My $329.00 a night room included $109.70 a night in taxes and fees. If you wanted $438 a night, just charge me $438 a night. Totally worth it, but surprises like that suck!

Room Tip: Just assume your room is $100 bucks more a night than advertised and you won't have sticker shoc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Cove offers first class service to guests. We booked the Sapphire suite, but when checking in we inquired about the Presidential suite - and it was available! Excellent service from the Butlers, the Lounge, and everybody we saw. We enjoyed the room service in our spacious room with fab views, Mosaic restaurant was a hit, and the Dunes restaurant was excellent food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Cove Atlantis? Share your experiences!