“Go & Enjoy !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“Go & Enjoy !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2005

Will go back in a heartbeat. Two couples in our late 40's / early 50's from Boston area looking for a relaxing vacation with sun, good food & drinks and boy did we find it !

Stayed November 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

Pros - Very clean resort
- Food and a la carte restaurants delicious
- Beach area very nice

Cons - Front desk never answers the phone so if
you're ill and need immediate assistance,
you're out of luck.

- You can not make local, collect or calling
card calls unless you first deposit $250.
- Night life is short and boring which forces
you to take added expense to seek good
entertainment off the resort.
- Strict 12 o'clock checkout, no exceptions
If your flight leaves at night, your bags
are left in an open hallway until your
departure.

Burlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2005

We had our 4th family holiday in Bahamas, we love the RIU chain this is our 3d RIU. This was an exceptional holiday. We had a marvelous time, the food was EXCELLENT... my husband loved the Steakhouse.Our son{12} preferred the Japanese ala carte & myself really enjoyed the Gourmet the seafood fettachini is to die for with so much seafood it was amazing. The desserts are amazing each ala carte with it's own specaility? The drinks are outstanding {NOT watered down}. The Armeretto Sour my FAV, the Bahama Mama are sweet & delicious, the beer is Miller Genuine Draft served in CANS, on tap Stella Arterois. Try the Mudslides or Mohito's really great. The servers & staff personal is the Best always SMILING & so helpful.Our son loved Anthony he's great & T.J. kept him smiling.The cab rides into town were great lots to see $ do .Straw Market was amazing...HUGE, Senor Frogs look at the Jewellery Stores the Emeralds are fabulous.We had ATLANTIS next door, do you appreciate when come back from ATLANTIS Super excess, GREED,ENORMOUS it really is TOO much.RIU our room was 1227 it was clean, great bed, air conditioning excellent,the view was fantastic overlooking the pool & ocean. The private beach was fabulous & clean, the water breath taking tourquoise and so warm you wouldn't believe it. Overall this was a FANTASTIC Holiday that I recommend to all. The only thing is the pool should be bigger I LOVE the RIU PARADISE ISLAND. We would definitly return again. It is definitely a great deal with all that is offered & the prices of Atlantis next door is outrageous. WE LOVE THE RIU !!!!!

• Stayed October 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

Visited the Riu Paradise Island Nov 7-11 as an alternative to the Cancun trip we had scheduled that was disrupted by Wilma. We didn't go with high expectations, and we were pleasantly surprised. The room was basic hotel - nothing fancy (nothing fancy needed, only in it to change/sleep). Pool area was nice and we could always find a lounge at poolside (albeit not always in a "premium" area). Not much time was spent in the pool as the water was a bit too cool during our stay. Pool bar was efficient, but didn't know how to make a purple rain - one of my favorites. One bartender said he knew, but was far from it. I also experienced - for the first time EVER at an AI - a bartender telling me he couldn't make drinks for my 34oz insulated mug... what's up with that? No problem, just order 3-4 drinks and dump 'em in myself. A couple surprises... the buffet food was actually good! And so were the specialty restaurants! We've been going to AI's in Jamaica for years and have grown accustomed to average food - definitely NOT the case at the Riu. Steakhouse was good - lots of food. Japanese was also good, but not your typical hibachi type thing (like the kiddo was expecting). Gourmet restaurant was also really good. Only thing that got old was the singing chef that came out at both the japanese and the gourmet... got old about 30 seconds into his first song. We were definitely surprised by deserts - in Jamaica they just could never seem to get anything chocolate right. Just the opposite at Riu, chocolate deserts were awesome. Breakfast buffet was the typical assortment of foods: made-to-order omelets, french toast, runny scrambled eggs (those who've traveled in Europe know what I mean), bacon, sausage (which tasted nasty by the way), fruit, etc. Be sure to have some of the fresh-made juices in the back... a different assortment daily. Line up early for the specialty restaurant reservations (done daily at 9am), some days the lines were REALLY long even 15 minutes before someone came to take bookings. One person in line mentioned that the Riu reminded them of a cruise ship as everyone seemed to dress up for dinner (definitely the case). Only did the lunch buffet once - nothing special. Late night snack (10pm - midnight) was usually just hamburgers/hotdogs/pizza/fries, some deserts, salad bar, etc. As for activities, not much going on. Our 12yo was bored, so we hit the beach for jetski rentals. First time out they hit us up $110 for 30 minutes for two of us (2 jetski's). Second time I negotiated $50 for 30 minutes for my son. Word of advice: keep track of your time!!!! we waited forever the second time and the guy said we'd get extra time... right... they waved my son in after only 19 minutes. I made a big deal out of it with the guys and my son ultimately got his 30 minutes (but nothing extra!). Evening entertainment was OK - nothing special. People starting hitting the lounge area around 8:15 - 8:30, but it never really filled up. Be prepared though, that lounge is S-M-O-K-Y!!!! We couldn't spend too much time in there.

Weather was really windy the first few days, but nothing the hotel can do anything about. Would we go back? Yes... without the kiddo. Riu is right next to the Atlantis (out-of-this-world prices), so we'd stay/eat at Riu and walk over to Atlantis for the Casino/Nightlife. Hit Nassau to shop, not many deals but it was a nice afternoon - typical shopping area in a cruise ship port.

Airport on departure was a mess... went through probably 3-4 security checkpoints and nothing inside but a VERY unorganized restaurant at one end and a cocktail lounge at the other end. Overall, not a bad trip considering it was only a short 2.5 hr flight from Philly and not too hard on the wallet.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

My husband and i spent a week in Paradise 11/5-11-12.
We had a great time at the Riu. Our room was fine, stocked every day, Had a great view of ocean, we where on the 7th floor. Beache's beautiful, pool was a little cool, but it was refreshing from the hot sun.
We enjoyed the Steak House, didnt go to other specialty restaurants, as the buffet was good.

Would suggest going to the atlantis Hotel, and go to the comedy club. It was only $20 per person to get in and was very funny.

We where going to go snokeling, but water was a little to rough, we both get sea sick.

All in All, would go back, for a peaceful vacation..

Stayed November 2005
chicago, il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

Well, to start went 11/2 - 11/11. Weather could not have been better. Water warm, clear and blue -beautiful. Beach was great except that because of the tall hotel buildings and the fact that the beach is on the north side of the island, the beach & the RIU pool are in total shade by 3:30pm. It was fairly windy on some days also. The service at this hotel was not the greatest. We are used to Iberostar resorts service and this place just did not compare. If you did not get down to breakfast early enough, then odds were you did not get a clean table. Called for water one day 3 times before we got it. Buffet food was OK. Pretty much the same things every day. The seafood though was wonderful. Very fresh every type they served. The reservation setup for the speciality restaurants definitely needs improvement. They take reservations each morning at 9am and you better be down there by 8 because the long is super long. The salmon at the Japanese was great. Ate there twice and the Gourmet twice. Seafood dish and steak at Gourmet wonderful. Did not hear good things from anyone about the steakhouse. Drinks at the resort were great! Bartenders wonderful. They certainly make the drinks nice and strong. The nightly shows were great as well. The entertainment staff could not have been better. They make a fun show every night and get the guests involved. They also work 6-7 days a week, 10 hours a day. They were all so great -TJ, Marlon, Sophia & Anna. Love em!! Hotel room was OK. Clean but nothing special. Try to request a room on the pool side. We were on the other side and the air conditioning units were there and were very loud. Trust me request the other side. Also- We were upgraded to the penthouse floor because they made a mistake with our room and do not stay on this floor. There are 3 elevators and only 1 goes up to this floor. Elevators very slow. Nothing special on this floor so not worth the elevator wait time. Hotel did not offer any non motorized watersports like advertised but the beach is loaded with stuff to do for a cost -jet skis, parasailing, etc. Plenty of vendors all over the beach too selling jsut about everything. Atlantis is right next door so that is worth exploring. They charge 30pp to tour the predator tunnel but if you go after 9pm you can just walk in. -Yes, it's dark and hard to see things but you can get an idea if you want to pay full price during the day. You can walk through the Atlantis shops/restaurants but are not allowed on the inner grounds. Security everywhere. The RIU offers free scuba lessons in the pool. We did this and went out on our 1st dive. What an experiencing! If you can remain calm I would definitely do a dive. That was the highlight of our trip besides the emerald & diamond ring my boyfriend bought me from Columbian Emeralds! -yeah Took the water ferry over to check out the straw market & fish fry. Straw market needs to be experienced & the fish fry was great. You can catch the bus behind the straw market and it will drop you off in front of the fish fry for $1. Overall-the RIU is not a bad place to stay but I probably would not return. I have pictures so if anyone wants to see anything let me know.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

Just returned from the Riu, where I spent 5 nights with my boyfriend and my adult son.

Check-in: We arrived at noon, and rooms were not available until 3:00 pm, so we had to wait.

Rooms: We had two rooms--although we had requested adjoining rooms, we did not get them. We were on the same floor, though. A word of warning to those that purchase the "superior" room--as many have mentioned, some (most?) of these rooms face the huge air conditioning unit. In our case, since we were on the second floor (room 214) we actually FACED the air conditioning units. I could read the writing on the various ducts, they were so close, and they completely blocked the view of the beach. While seated on the balcony, you could see a small piece of ocean. I could have easily climbed over the balcony railing and walked on the ducts. This led to an unsafe feeling, since someone could have used those ducts to climb onto our balcony and walk right into our room. Although I complained to the reception desk immediately, they informed me that the hotel was fully booked for this month, so I would have to come back the next day to see about changing rooms. I went back for two days and there was no luck with changing rooms. They informed me that rooms are assigned the night before. I can't understand why, with people arriving and leaving every day, they still could not make a switch. On the third day I gave up. I would gladly have upgraded to a "deluxe", but even that was not possible. I recommend that you do NOT book "superior" rooms; once you're assigned there will be little you can do to change if you're not satisfied and the hotel is fully booked.

The mini-bar sodas were re-stocked on the third day, but not the liquor. I called the desk to ask for more rum, but it didn't come until two days later when I called and asked again.

Washcloths were hard to come by; luckily I brought a couple from home.

We purchased a telephone calling card from the hotel convenience store ($20). When you use the card, the hotel will charge you $.72 per minute for any calls. On checkout, they said that my son had a $25 phone bill, and he hadn't made any calls. They offered to print out the record, but suddenly decided to "waive" those charges. The same thing happened to another couple checking out at the same time we were, and when they disputed the phone bill it was removed. I recommend checking with the desk periodically to find out what your charges are so you can resolve any discrepancies before checking out. Overcharging for phone bills seems to be a routine practice here.

Pool--I went to the pool every morning and had no problem getting chairs and an umbrella. Most people seem not to want umbrellas. We didn't actually use the pool, so I can't comment on that (although I heard that it was very cold). We went to the beach and swam and then back to our chairs by the pool.

Beach--the beach is good. The water was a little rough, and not as warm as I've experienced in other locations, but easy to get acclimated to. I saw virtually no umbrellas on the beach (I guess due to the $30 per day charge).

Food--the buffet was okay; however, the same items are there day after day for lunch so after awhile it can become boring. Went to the Steakhouse (nothing special and service slow). We did try Sir Alexander's, and as everyone has said the seafood alfredo is very good and actually was too much for me to eat (what seemed like a pound of shrimp, plus crabmeat and lobster). On several days, the line for reservations formed at 8:30 am, even though they don't start taking reservations until 9:00, so I didn't bother getting on line. Overall, I was satisfied with the food although not impressed.

Snorkeling--we originally booked a trip with Stuart Cove's through the lobby tour desk. My boyfriend wasn't told that he needed to take his receipt with him, so after a 40 minute van ride to the boat, he was not allowed on and had to pay a $45 taxi bill to get back to the hotel. He later booked directly with Bahama Divers and was very pleased; their location is only about 5 minutes away. For the morning trip (pick-up at 8:30 am) they go to two snorkeling locations, one of which is in pretty deep water, but they have flotation devices for inexperienced swimmers. Best of all, the price is $39 per person,compared to $48 per person for Stuart Cove's. He and my son fully enjoyed the experience with Bahama Divers.

Atlantis--we walked over to Atlantis several times for the casino and the Dig. Only a few minutes' walk through the hotel. Since I won $80, I have no complaints about that!! :-) The shops are high-end, and being from NYC I was not interested.

Shopping--you can walk to the Paradise Shopping Plaza a few minutes away for souvenirs.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!