“No problems at Riu, mon!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #13 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“No problems at Riu, mon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2005

Just got back from staying at the Riu from May 18 (Wed) till May 23 (Mon) with my wife and two young daughters (ages 5 and 18 months). Check-in was quick as we arrived there 3 pm on a Wed afternoon. We stayed on the 14th floor in an odd-numbered room so this meant having a view of the pool and the beach. We were high up (the next floor up is the penthouse floor) so we couldn't really hear the noise coming from the pool as described in previous posts. Our room was close to the elevators so during the night while sleeping you will hear them running if you're a light sleeper. The room was decent, no problems at all. The buffet had lots of choices - I enjoyed the grilled squid for lunch. The staff was very nice esp. Chante at the front desk. There are no kids activities at the hotel but my kids had a fun time at the beach, pool, and Atlantis next door where they have a Discovery Day Camp (not free). We also went to the Blue Lagoon Island for "Dolphin Encounters" and my older one is still talking about how much fun she had there. The ages of the people staying at the Riu were mixed: some elderly, others with kids (which we got acquainted with), married couples, group of ladies on a "girls only vacation", and even a class of high school senior students and their chaperones. All in all, we all had a great time and would definitely return for another stay.

Ro (36)

3,004 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2005

Our stay was from May 15 to May 22. Our trip began with an uneventful passage through the Bahamas airport. Smooth as silk. When we arrived at the RIU, we were served fruit punch cocktails while waiting to check in. Everyone at the RIU had a smile and was very friendly. Actually, all weeklong the staff was courteous, polite and always ready to make are stay more comfortable as possible.

The nightly entertainment was mediocre at best, but that’s not why we went there anyway.

The first three days was quite windy and the waves in the ocean were rough, but the remainder of our trip was “heaven on earth” literally!

To all you snorkeling fans, take the one-day excursion to Rose Island, it was fantastic. The coral reefs are less than 20 feet from the shore and the crystal clear water glorified them some more.

Towards the end of our stay our hotel was inundated with approximately 150 eighteen year olds from Louisiana, recent high school graduates. Yes they were loud, arrogant and could not hold their alcohol, but I was no different at that age either, a little patience for the next generation was all that was required.

Atlantis is truly the “8th wonder on earth”. From the grounds behind the hotel to the underground aquarium, truly a spectacular sight. When the Atlantis was built it must have been constructed with the philosophy: “built it and they will come”, nothing is spared and it’s quite clear money was not an option, only design and art were.

We were truly depressed (and still are) when it was time to go, and other than a 2-hour delay at the airport, this trip was fantastic. We will definitely be going back one day because Paradise Island is just that, Paradise!

Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

A very special holiday for four of us girls. The hotel was absolutely beautiful and the rooms were great. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and everything was spotless. Food was abundant and delicious and the drinks were superb - not skimpy on the liquor. Vendors on beach were polite and left you alone when you said you were not interested. I liked the fact that the beach area is fairly secluded and not as busy as most resort hotels. Paradise Island is beautiful and very clean and everyone is so friendly and helpful. I can't imagine a better holiday anywhere else and I can't wait to go back! It was great that the Atlantis was close enough to walk to every day and well worth the visit but I much preferred the stay at the Riu. Well done!

• Stayed April 2005
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

This Resort has major issues. My boyfriend and I (25 & 23) got back yesterday from a weekend at the RIU Paradise Island, and thank God it was just a weekend!!

I've broken it down to 3 major things that made our weekend extremely unpleasant.

1. The restaurant situation. There are 4 restaurants. One is the buffet, open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This is your only choice for breakfast and lunch, serving the same thing every day. After just 3 times eating here we would've rather ate PBJ on saltines. Dinner, however, is a-whole-nother issue. Besides the buffet, there are 3 other 'a la carte' restaurants. But don't plan on eating at any of them unless you get up at 8:30AM to go stand in line to get your reservation in for that night... and tomorrow? don't even think about trying to make a reservation for tomorrow... the next morning you'll have to get up and do it all over again for the following night. After standing in line for 30 minutes, I finally reach the podium to get my 9PM reservation. The way they work this is there are 2 seatings each night, where they seat the entire restaurant all at once. Anyone who knows anything at all about the restaurant business knows that this is the dumbest, most inefficient way to handle food service. In any event, the food was OK. And the 'a la carte' is a buffet appetizer/salad bar, a choice of 4 main courses, and a buffet dessert bar. Not impressed to say the least. ps- no non-smoking sections... so I hope you like to inhale second hand smoke as you eat.

2. The elevator situation. There are 3 elevators and 14 floors. We were on the 4th floor, room 421. We never once waited less than 5 minutes for an elevator. And when one finally did come, it was packed like sardines full of hot sandy people in bathing suits. NOT FUN!!

3. There is NO SHELTER on the beach!! This resort offers no palapas, no umbrellas, nothing. If you want shade, a beach bum rents you an umbrella for $25 a day. That's plain robbery. Luckily when we got there around 2PM Fri 5/20, it was partly cloudy. Sat the sun was shining all day and we were in it most of the time resulting in slight sunburn. So on Sun we had to fork over the $25 and get an umbrella. Its a good thing we were only there for 2 1/2 days.

On a positive note, once you get used to the extremely crowded beach (see photo) and the locals trying to sell you everything under the sun as you sit and attempt to relax in your beach chair, the water is crystal clear, calm, warm, and beautiful... and i highly recommend a good set of earphones to drown out all the beach noise. And please, for you folks that aren't from the shore... DON'T feed the seagulls!!

New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2005

This was not a RELAXING VACATION! I was happy to come home. The weather was overcast, windy and rainy which made the pool cold and the beach very windy and the surf very rocky and wavy. If you are looking for the "smooth as glass" feeling in the beach in the bahamas, its NOT here! Oh....the beach, extremely loud with the locals harassing you every minute for jet ski rides, hair braiding, parasailing, hats, bags, jewelry, cigars, you name it! We even saw one guy selling massages and I doubt he was certified. Midway through our stay the hotel had about 200 highschool seniors dumped all over us. NIGHTMARE! That was a real treat watching 17-year old boys smoking cigars and getting drunk. Enough said, if you are looking for R&R, its NOT here! You get yelled at everywhere. When we took a walk near the shops and by Harborside, we must have had every taxi guy passing us looking for business, all we wanted to do was take a nice walk! Then, near the marina, another guy screamed past us too many times for a ride to the marina. ALL WEEK I SPENT SAYING NO THANKS.
%$#@!*&^% Oh, and the food? The lunch buffet is GROSSS. At night, stick to the specialty restaurants. You will wait a long time but its beats the buffet. The first night we got there we had no choice but the buffet. God forbid I did not clean my plate and I practically got scolded at!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2005

Did I mention it was fantastic? We have travelled to many destinations in the south and this was one of the best places we have stayed. The food was exceptional, the entertainment phenominal and the service was wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a better vacation. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great vacation get away. And a tip for all those who are lucky enough to go, don't miss the Japanese dinner, if not for the food the entertainment was wonderful!!

Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2005

I went to the RIU on Paradise Island in the Bahamas from May 7th to the 12th. I had a pretty good time.
The beach is wonderful, soft white sand that does not get hot to walk on. The surf was rough when I was there. I noticed that the beach drops off very quickly just past the water line, causing the heavy wave action as you try to get in and out. The wind was also pretty strong. This felt good to keep you cool while sunning yourself, but I am sure it helped increase the waves. There a lot of locals selling jet-ski and parasailing rides, and Cuban cigars and stuff of that nature. They do get a bit annoying, but you if tell them your not interested they go on to the next person. I figure it is their country and their beach, and they need to make money like anyone else, so I put up with it and laugh at their lines to get people to do whatever it is they are selling.
The pool is not situated very well. It only gets full sun from about 12:00 to 17:00 because the main building blocks the sun. This makes the water feel almost cold. I do have to admit, the cold felt excellent after I got sun burnt though. Some of the RIU sites talk about a sauna/hot tub. It is not hot at all. It is directly connected to the pool, so it uses the cold pool water, and adds air bubbles.
The food is fairly good at the RIU. The main buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner offer a decent selection, for the time period I was there. The food is prepared well, and is hot. I also went to the steakhouse, the best steak I have had in a long time. I also went to Anthony’s grill which is about a mile walk from the RIU, I had fried conch. It is good, the locals all rave about conch, but I thought it was OK.
The big down fall of the RIU is there are very few activities offered through the day and even less at night. Basically they are into teaching reggae dancing and mixology. On some nights they have a local band come in, and they are good. I expect a ton of activities throughout the day. The activities team should organize and convince a bunch of people to play. Games such as water volleyball, polo, and aerobics are must haves. Beach games are also good. RIU offered none of these. If you are looking for this type of entertainment, go to the Crown Paradise Club in Cancun. RIU is less than a quarter of a mile from Atlantis, their casino is a must, and it is a lot of fun. Atlantis also has a walk through aquarium. They situate it around “Atlantis Ruins”. They make a big deal out of this. I found it rather cheesy but the fish and sharks are a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it is a $28 a person, way overpriced.
All in all, this is a relaxing vacation destination. Don’t expect a lot of excitement. The hotel staff are very nice, just show them respect, it is THEIR country after all. Be patient with the beach “sellers” they will leave you alone if you are nice. Visit Atlantis. The best deals for souvenirs are across from Atlantis in that little mall area. Be careful in the ocean, it is rough, but a lot of fun if you can take it.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!