“Not the greatest” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Not the greatest”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our room and bathroom were a good size, very clean, and nice. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but that was ok. It truely is all inclusive but, there is nothing luxury about this one. I didn't think the buffet would be that bad and it was. Thankfully they had grilled cheese sandwiches bc that was pretty much the only acceptable looking thing there. Drinks are unlimited, mini bar is unlimited. Room service is also unlimited, but the room service food is so pathetic, do not make that a selling point for you. Their room service "nachos" are ballpark chips with fake dipping cheese. Just to give you an idea.
Worst part- Dinner. Yes, there are 6 restaurants. They are not all open every day and the way you make a reservation is ABSURD! You have to walk down to the front desk before 8 am and stand in line to make your reservation. And you HAVE to have a reservation. They have actual seating times. 6 or 8. The menu is fixed, the food is gross. It'a all around just the worst system ever.
If you are just looking for a place to drink all day by a pool that blares music then this is the place for you.
Best thing about this place is that it is right next door to the Atlantis and you can walk a little ways down the beach and have some peace and quiet.
Bottom line, SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND STAY AT THE ATLANTIS. It's awesome and completely worth it.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Crownsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Gonna go ahead and start with what I saw as far as bad reviews before I went. I think most people are crazy when they complain about things like "it kind of smelled musty".. I don't know if you noticed... ITS ON THE OCEAN. It's so damp everywhere! Also.. it's an all inclusive hotel, not a 5 star - thousand dollar a night - spa destination. Face it, you booked for the price, quit complaining so much!

Buffet food: Good to Great. We enjoyed the buffet every day for breakfast. Great variety. Lunch was usually good. Not a huge change day to day but there were plenty of options. I had fish every which way, and I didn't know it before, but I love conch fritters. Dinner buffet was awesome. The themes switched which kept it from getting boring.
Dinner reservations: We had the Japanese, French and Steakhouse. All pretty good. I've been to other RIU's and not enjoyed the Asian food, but this time I was surprised. The duck at the French joint was great... as was the surf and turf at the steakhouse. Steakhouse was definitely everyone's favorite. It's a huge amount of food.
Room service is pretty weak, but it worked for my 2 am munchies.

We went out to the "Fish Fry", which is a bunch of different little fish shacks close to down town... really good food and great drinks. Can get pricey if you are like me and want to try everything. Downtown is busy due to all the boats coming in. Still a lot of fun. Make sure you haggle with everyone selling stuff, you'll get good deals. EVERYONE is friendly. All of our cab drivers (it's like $4 a head), all of the street carts, all the police.. just awesome. Talk to them.. they love their home.

The staff: Great to Excellent. The waiters and waitresses are BUSY.. cut them some slack. You'll see what I'm talking about at breakfast and lunch.. insane. It sometimes takes a minute to get a coffee, but I would just walk over and ask. Don't be shy they won't get mad.
The bartenders are amazing. Lenny, Chevy and Turtle at the pool bar (sometimes inside) were our favorites. They stay cheery even when people are jerks. If your drink isn't strong enough, ask for more booze. Simple. They can make whatever you want. They kept us entertained while at the pool. Those three were a group favorite for sure.

The entertainment staff at night was great - they work hard to keep everyone laughing and having a good time. "Trouble" and his boys were awesome. Watch the variety show, the dude that does the fire dance is AMAZING, as is the guy who dances his face off.. think his name was Shorty. Fancy had me laughing a bunch too! The DJ was really good, she would take ANY request no problem.
The ladies and gents that cleaned and kept up the place, fantastic job. I tipped them everyday. Also.. the guys at the front getting us cabs were excellent. One guy wearing a stripped shirt and hat watched my stuff and hooked us up everyday when we needed it.. I wish I caught his name.. great dude.

The beach was always crowded, but we never had a problem getting a chair. Shout out to the dudes out there that cleaned the beach up every day. Looked amazing in the morning. There are a lot of vendors, but they go away quick. Only stinks when you are trying to take a nap.
Pool was a little cloudy by the end of the day, but there are a ton of people all oiled up and what not.. it's expected. They cleaned it up well at night.
Room: We asked for an Ocean View and got an Ocean Front on the pool side. I was happy no matter what. I could fall asleep to the ocean every night. Seagulls were annoying in the morning, but it was whatever.
The Atlantis was fun.. we gambled a little (drinks are free, just tip well if you want them to show back up), and we went to the aquarium. We also walked down to the Marina at night.. check it out. Lots of music, stores, and huge Yachts. Fun to dream about that life.
If you like snorkeling.. walk out to the beach, take a right, walk allllll the way down til you hit the little rock jetty and snorkel there. It's quiet and there are some fish there. Take fruit... it's fun. If you sign up for a trip they will just drive you over on a boat for $35 but that's all good if you didn't bring any gear. It takes about 20 mins to walk there.

Overall, I'm going with a 4.5... If it wasn't so busy, 5. It's a bit crazy but for the price, you just can't beat it. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms next to the pool are NOISY.. I didn't mind because I didn't sleep during the day at al...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Average hotel. Rooms were awesome, sleeping wise. We had a corner sweet and a connecting for the kids. Water in the hotel was brown, never found out what it was but front desk kept saying they're working on it. Pool was horrible, small and dirty. We spent most of our time at the beach which was fabulous. Food was okay. "All inclusive" don't mean you get to eat at all the restaurants. For example we were there for 7 days we only got to make reservations for 3 "specialty" restaurants. Entertainment for the kids we lacking. That being sd I would come back only for the beach and that it's right next door to the Atlantis. It's more of a "poor man's" Atlantis. lol.

Room Tip: corner suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed Friday to Friday. Overall I give it an 8.5 out of 10. The food was great at all meals for the buffet. We ate at the specialty restaurants 2 nights. The Steakhouse and Krystal, again the food was excellent. We had NO brown water, clear and warm for each shower. The staff were polite and accommodating. (We are not the type of people that want to be waited on hand and foot, so I was more than satisfied.) We tipped at every meal but not because it was necessary to be served, but because the wait-staff were working hard. As with every group of workers, there were 1 or 2 that did not smile, but I would not either given some of the "guests" they had to deal with.
My only complaint is that we did have to deal with the power outage for the first 3 nights in terms of not having any a/c, but we had power and running water. The outage was due to a fire at the main generator for the island, so not really the Riu's fault although I would have been able to deal with that issue better if they had informed us on arrival about the power problem. When we got to our room we heard the noise of the Atlantis generator and I thought it was the norm for noise. I was happy to find out it was only going to be temporary. (A comp. for a couple of free days in the future would have been nice) Directions next to the A/C would have helped to figure it out...different than what I was used to.
As for anyone who wants to stay at the Atlantis...the view from our room was a disappointment mostly due to the fact that the Atlantis does not keep up their grounds at the back of their Coral Towers. We had the same view as some of the guests from the Atlantis. Not pretty, but at least I knew I was not paying what those folks were. Food and drink is also very costly at Atlantis, where as at the RIU food and drink were included.

Room Tip: All rooms on the west side have a view of the ugly backside of the Atlantis.
Saint James, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is truly a beautiful setting; the beach and the people are some of the best you will ever find! But, for the Riu to call this a Palace is a false statement. The facility is average based on the age of the resort. The first room we were placed in had a terrible odor and the front desk offered to have it sprayed. I didn't come on vacation to be placed in a room that needed to be sprayed. . . Along with the fact we were traveling with three other couples and specifically requested to be reasonably close, which didn't happen either. They did "finally" agree to move us but not until the next afternoon which would mean checking out of the room we were in by noon and not having another room until 3:00 or later. On top of these little issues we were dealing with there was also a power outage on the entire island. This was not the fault of the Riu but the sound of the generators was overwhelming - impossible to hear the ocean let alone have a conversation on your patio (oceanview poolside). With the use of generators there was no air conditioning in the rooms and in the morning we had no power at all which means no shower, no water and no elevators. It was a long first couple of days with power restored to full capacity on Sunday afternoon.

The staff are very respectful, happy and pleasant individuals, except the front desk who truly didn't have time to listen to any problems. Communication is lacking. The resort is not a 4-5 star rating nor a palace by Riu standards.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Lets start with the basics:

Transportation:
travel to the hotel from the airport with sunwing vacations: the bus was on time and the driver was friendly. they do ask for tips so be prepared. the total drive time is around 30mins. no issues

Arrival: no one welcomes you arrive at the hotel. the only thing you are told is that your room is not ready until 3pm. we arrived at 9am.
Our bags were put in a room down a hall unsupervised ALL day. we randomly checked in on it. we saw people going in and out at will. we waited in a line to get our wrist band and sign in ( which is not check in )

Room: our room was a "100" room . Meaning , it was a room with no opening windows or balcony. its at the end of the hall next to the exit and ice machine. take my advise DO not get any room ending in 00. ( 100, 300, 400, etc. )
the room is nice, clean but smelled "swampy" probably because there are no windows. The air-conditioning is either on or off. We only had air-conditioning for 5 hours for the whole stay.
Toiletries are terrible, bring your own. the fridge and booze in the room are limited and the liquor is no-name brand.

the pool area : forget getting pool side service by the waitress. I never saw or was offered a drink while at the pool. you have to get your own drinks from the bar. which is fine for me, but don't expect service. this hotel is not a 5 star, its a do it your self hotel.
the pool is also very small and the seats fill up fast.

beach: the beach and water are beautiful. when you go to the beach you need to know that there are no umbrellas . if you want an umbrella you pay $25 a day. locals and other tourists fill out the areas in front of the hotel so sometimes it got crowded.

food: we could not get a reservation at any of the restaurants so we ate at the buffet every night ( despite no power , water or aircon ) however, when you walk by the specialty restaurants , they are empty. I guess they want everyone to be at the buffet. The buffet food was the same food everyday. its edible but don't expect 5 star food. its 3 star food.
the snacks are in the pub fridge- I thought it was prop /fake food. disgusting. if you are looking for late night snacks buy them during the day. there is nothing to eat after dinner service.

Overall stay: Day one we arrived and went to the beach had dinner,drank and went to bed. During the night the whole island had a power outage. which is not the hotels fault. BUT the power came back on to the entire island the next day. RUI decided to keep the air-conditioning off completely for the entire stay . My room with no windows or balcony was a sweat box.
RUI also decided to keep the water off between the hours of 1am -6am and 12pm -4pm each day to conserve energy.
Every toilet , every washroom was shut down. So the whole resort was basically using "out houses". We could not wash our hands, flush the toilet use the elevator, cool down or get cold drinks.
The RUI also turned of the Wi-Fi . Thank god Atlantis was next door. We went there during the day to go to the washroom, use the Wi-Fi check emails , get starbucks coffees and gamble.

What are we paying for?? This must be a health violation? people going to the bathroom not flushing , not able to wash your hands, take a shower? then handling food?
This hotel needs to refund and apologise to the guests for the lack of hygiene and basic requirements to keep us safe. The staff did not address the issues at all. It was like nothing was going on.

If there was an emergency medical or fire, there was no way to call for help during the night. They phones were turned off, the elevators were off , the lights were off the water was off. Not because the Island was still in a power outage, but because RUI wanted to save power and money. UNEXCEPTIBLE. UNSAFE.

Its completely baffling to me why I'm reading reviews on here praising the hotel for such a wonderful stay during the power outage??? Only hillbillies would think that this hotel was wonderful.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel . if you go do not get a room ending in 00-good luck
Mashpee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I was a bit scared after reading guest reviews, and checked into the hotel on March 13 with a bit of hesitation. Guess what, the place is absolutely fine. We were there during the island power outage and felt little inconvenience. The staff (with the exception of the bartenders who just aren't friendly) were wonderful. The food is good to great and the beach is beautiful. Our room was outstanding on the 11th floor. Yes, the pool is a bit small (we have been to some amazing resorts) but it didn't matter. My husband and I wanted a three day getaway without our kids, warm sun a beautiful beach and good food. That is exactly what we got. We will return. Bonus: Walk over to Atlantis and enjoy the casino, disco and marina.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are lovely and have a great view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!