“RIU Palace Paradise Island - Is Good but could be Great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #13 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Jerzee
“RIU Palace Paradise Island - Is Good but could be Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I just recently returned from the RIU Palace Paradise Island - I have stayed at many RIU in the past, I love the chain and I am always happy with the RIU. I was happy with The RIU Paradise Island, but the employees here were "dull & unattentive". At other RIU's I always felt welcomed, for instance in Aruba they greet you with "Welcome Home" sounds dumb but these little things make all the difference or a Hello or Good Morning from Staff, they pretty much ignored you, this is simply fixed and needs to be addressed at the management level, it would cost them no money but make for a very pleasant memorable experience for the guests a little goes a long way.
At the other RIU's I stayed at Water was never an issue I canot say that there generally they stock fridge with 2 large water bottles as me and my husband drink alot of water especially at the beach we wanted a 3rd bottle, at other RIUs this could be gotten from the bar or behind the main desk at guest services, I was denied at both for a bottle of water? although bartender had a case behind the bar, this I found to be quote strange in an all-inclusive and the front desk told me to call room service, which I did but no one answered so I went back to bar a got a small glass. This is the little things that need to be fixed.

Room: I stayed in an Oceanfront Suite- The Room's view was one of the very best I ever had any other RIU simply magnificent FULL wall of Glass overlooking ocean full balcony A++. You are reminded that this is an older hotel that has been renovated however, the air conditioner in the room is LOUD didnt bother me too much but I could see in other reviews it was bothersome, there is NO HANDLE on the outside door balcony to get back in room and sometimes proofed difficult to open to get back into room, very strange no handle, no biggie but again the little things

Food: The Food was okay due to the ridiculous lines in the AM for the restaurants we went buffet every night, compared to other RIUs the selection was less, but still ok On 2 mornings the coffee was empty and things would run and and not be replinished it was like it wasn't anyone's job to check these things? and it should be, not the guests job to find a waiter to tell them...the little things...Grade B-

Beach: Beach is beautiful, however the vendors are aggresive and can be annoying- Sunday thru Thursday the Beach is NOT crowded. Friday & Saturday the cruise ships come in and it is PACKED they come on RIU beach and make a mess its such a shame, there are only 2 garbage cans by stairs leading off beach and NONE of the cruise people utilize a garbage can in the AM the beach is littered everywhere with cups/straws food bottle etc, it is cleaned up everyday, but "maybe" some garbage cans would help or even better PUT UP A ROPE ON WEEKENDS to keep the cruise people off RIU Beach, as a side note RIU employees charge NON RIU guests $10 for a lodge chair, obviously they arent allowed to do this as these people aren't even suppose to be on the beach but I seen it several times. Beach Sun - Thursday A+ Beach weekend C-...My next stay will be Sunday - Leaving Friday

Location- Great right next to ATlantis you literally walk down RIU driveway & up Beach Tower Driveway right next store 2 minute walk and can walk through corridors straight to Casino in Atlantis in air conditioning or visit Marinas Village for Shopping all without using a Taxi! The Atlantis Aquaruim is FREE after 7pm to anyone so take the walk its a great aquarium and FREE Location - A++

Overall a solid B Rating, would I go back Hell YES Sun - Friday that is....Hoping they can fix these little things to make this place A+ - Management needs to Talk with Staff and get the Water situation fixed.

Room Tip: I had room 1532 - 15th Floor - Oceanfront Suite- It's view was AMAZING!!!!

3,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just got back from a girls weekend at the riu with my daughter. Overall we had a good holiday for 4 days however you definitely get what you pay for. I went into this mini getawaybwithblittle expectation as we are typically cruisers with high expectations. The room was much better than expected always clean and well mintained. The rest of the facility is kinda crappy. My pool in my backyard is nicer and the exterior could use some tlc. The food is actually your typical buffet and the all inclusive attracts a specific client. I got exactly what i expected. 4 day maximum. Glad i choose cruising usually. This all inclusive reminded me of why i cruise......

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hotel is alright not the best hotel I have stayed at. I went with 16 people for a wedding and everyone had a great time because they all loved the beach. The service was a hit and miss. The bartender's in the lobby were the best out of all the staff. The big reason for the three stars is that everyone was sick for 3 days. We were all in the bathroom for the 3 days it was really bad. None of us could move. Not one person felt good, it hit everyone out of no where and it hit like a ton of bricks when we got suck. I think food is important and there was for sure something wrong there.
Also I know what you maybe thinking oh you all drank to much... Well I don't drink and neither did 4 others so it was no doubt the food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good stay at the RIU for my honeymoon.

Accommodation:

Room was fully renovated and clean with a nice king bed. Was provided with a bottle of sparkling wine and fresh fruit for our honeymoon.

Dining and Drinks:

If you are a fan of real Japanese I would not recommend their restaurant Tengoku ; Their rice is far too sweet, they misspell Nigiri on their menus and it is not authentic. I would recommend that they hire a proper sushi chef if they are going to offer sushi as a fine dining option in which you need a reservation for.

Their steakhouse was quite good; they cook the steak exactly how you like it. The hotel itself is clean, and the rooms are wifi capable however don’t trust it to be working all the time, it cuts out often.

Offers an international buffet that was quite good with themed options some nights : Greek, Mexican , Chinese + and regular affair. The desserts where delicious!

The drinks were good, if you like a sweet blended drink ask for a superman! The in room liquor dispensers were great and you could call room service for any late night sodas you needed. They have a pretty large cocktail menu at the pool bar and the 2 other bars at the resort.
The room service menu however was limited.

The Beach :

The beach was amazing despite the roughness of the waves (bad weather) vendors will try to sell you things but they are quite polite so if you say no they leave you be. However, crystal clear waters , and if you have banana you will get a visit from some fish!

All in all a pretty good experience I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: 4th floor is fully renovated .
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a place I would not have chosen but went to because a family member planned a family wedding in the Bahamas. Thankfully the wedding and reception were held at one of the nicest Atlantis properties but I think the idea with the Riu was to ensure friends on strict budgets could make the trip.

You get what you pay for, and even that is questionable... I honestly had trouble finding things to eat. Granted, I'm cautious about raw salad bar fruits and vegetables because those are the most frequent culprits for traveller's diarrhea, but I honestly had to eat spaghetti every day because the other choices were greasy and the meats grisly. The few vegetables were the frozen kind, steamed without sauce.

The room was cold and not well cleaned, with slick polish on the floor that I had to ask a housekeeper to come back and mop up because I slipped on it when I walked in. I was glad that I'd taken some lysol wipes with me because I felt a bit better after spending a few minutes going over the place, although the chemical cleaner smell was already an issue and my wipes didn't help. There were many things which were in need of repair (lamps, door hooks, the toilet paper holder), paint or replacement. Very poor soundproofing, and a high chance of drunken neighbours being a little too expressive in the middle of the night.

Friends were on the top floor and their room did seem fresher and brighter (more recently redone), so if you HAVE to go there as I did, try to book the top floor, but if there's any way you can, avoid this place !

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking ocean if you absolutely can't get out of going there...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Second time for my husband and I. Went with family to celebrate our son's 21st birthday and had a great time. Guys went on charter fishing trip one day, then we all went to resteraunt where they cooked the fish the men caught, transportation included...awesome evening.
Only complaint, could not get thermostat in room to adjust to a comfortable temperature, either ice box or shut AC off and then get hot and humid. Sports bar our first trip couple hussars ago was ice,this trip it had a nasty odor.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful room (we had ocean front suite) and bathroom :-) very luxurious. Very clean. The staff is always smiling and so friendly. We love being active on vacations and they were able to coordinate everything we wanted to do directly from the hotel so quickly. Pick up for diving and scootering was directly in front of the hotel. Entertainment was hopping - much more so than Atlantis which is located right next door.
Difficult to get reservations to the restaurants, but the buffet was more than satisfying - a different variety each night. Mimosas were served one morning which was such a welcome surprise!
Regarding the dampness in the rooms - it was noticeable - but if you left the air conditioning on low - it was almost non existent. Maybe this is to be expected on oceanfront rooms?
Overall very pleased..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!