“Priced accordingly.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Barrie, Canada
“Priced accordingly.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just got back from a girls weekend at the riu with my daughter. Overall we had a good holiday for 4 days however you definitely get what you pay for. I went into this mini getawaybwithblittle expectation as we are typically cruisers with high expectations. The room was much better than expected always clean and well mintained. The rest of the facility is kinda crappy. My pool in my backyard is nicer and the exterior could use some tlc. The food is actually your typical buffet and the all inclusive attracts a specific client. I got exactly what i expected. 4 day maximum. Glad i choose cruising usually. This all inclusive reminded me of why i cruise......

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hotel is alright not the best hotel I have stayed at. I went with 16 people for a wedding and everyone had a great time because they all loved the beach. The service was a hit and miss. The bartender's in the lobby were the best out of all the staff. The big reason for the three stars is that everyone was sick for 3 days. We were all in the bathroom for the 3 days it was really bad. None of us could move. Not one person felt good, it hit everyone out of no where and it hit like a ton of bricks when we got suck. I think food is important and there was for sure something wrong there.
Also I know what you maybe thinking oh you all drank to much... Well I don't drink and neither did 4 others so it was no doubt the food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good stay at the RIU for my honeymoon.

Accommodation:

Room was fully renovated and clean with a nice king bed. Was provided with a bottle of sparkling wine and fresh fruit for our honeymoon.

Dining and Drinks:

If you are a fan of real Japanese I would not recommend their restaurant Tengoku ; Their rice is far too sweet, they misspell Nigiri on their menus and it is not authentic. I would recommend that they hire a proper sushi chef if they are going to offer sushi as a fine dining option in which you need a reservation for.

Their steakhouse was quite good; they cook the steak exactly how you like it. The hotel itself is clean, and the rooms are wifi capable however don’t trust it to be working all the time, it cuts out often.

Offers an international buffet that was quite good with themed options some nights : Greek, Mexican , Chinese + and regular affair. The desserts where delicious!

The drinks were good, if you like a sweet blended drink ask for a superman! The in room liquor dispensers were great and you could call room service for any late night sodas you needed. They have a pretty large cocktail menu at the pool bar and the 2 other bars at the resort.
The room service menu however was limited.

The Beach :

The beach was amazing despite the roughness of the waves (bad weather) vendors will try to sell you things but they are quite polite so if you say no they leave you be. However, crystal clear waters , and if you have banana you will get a visit from some fish!

All in all a pretty good experience I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: 4th floor is fully renovated .
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a place I would not have chosen but went to because a family member planned a family wedding in the Bahamas. Thankfully the wedding and reception were held at one of the nicest Atlantis properties but I think the idea with the Riu was to ensure friends on strict budgets could make the trip.

You get what you pay for, and even that is questionable... I honestly had trouble finding things to eat. Granted, I'm cautious about raw salad bar fruits and vegetables because those are the most frequent culprits for traveller's diarrhea, but I honestly had to eat spaghetti every day because the other choices were greasy and the meats grisly. The few vegetables were the frozen kind, steamed without sauce.

The room was cold and not well cleaned, with slick polish on the floor that I had to ask a housekeeper to come back and mop up because I slipped on it when I walked in. I was glad that I'd taken some lysol wipes with me because I felt a bit better after spending a few minutes going over the place, although the chemical cleaner smell was already an issue and my wipes didn't help. There were many things which were in need of repair (lamps, door hooks, the toilet paper holder), paint or replacement. Very poor soundproofing, and a high chance of drunken neighbours being a little too expressive in the middle of the night.

Friends were on the top floor and their room did seem fresher and brighter (more recently redone), so if you HAVE to go there as I did, try to book the top floor, but if there's any way you can, avoid this place !

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking ocean if you absolutely can't get out of going there...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Second time for my husband and I. Went with family to celebrate our son's 21st birthday and had a great time. Guys went on charter fishing trip one day, then we all went to resteraunt where they cooked the fish the men caught, transportation included...awesome evening.
Only complaint, could not get thermostat in room to adjust to a comfortable temperature, either ice box or shut AC off and then get hot and humid. Sports bar our first trip couple hussars ago was ice,this trip it had a nasty odor.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful room (we had ocean front suite) and bathroom :-) very luxurious. Very clean. The staff is always smiling and so friendly. We love being active on vacations and they were able to coordinate everything we wanted to do directly from the hotel so quickly. Pick up for diving and scootering was directly in front of the hotel. Entertainment was hopping - much more so than Atlantis which is located right next door.
Difficult to get reservations to the restaurants, but the buffet was more than satisfying - a different variety each night. Mimosas were served one morning which was such a welcome surprise!
Regarding the dampness in the rooms - it was noticeable - but if you left the air conditioning on low - it was almost non existent. Maybe this is to be expected on oceanfront rooms?
Overall very pleased..

Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Overall the hotel itself isn't terrible. When we arrived our check-in lady was friendly and welcoming and we were excited about our stay. When we got off the elevator we noticed that the hallways smelled very strongly of Jack Daniels. Okay, I get it...it's an all inclusive resort with alcohol flowing freely everywhere. That didn't bother us at all. Our room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. On our first night we went down to see about a dinner reservation at one of the several sit-down restaurants. The maitre'd informed us that they were all booked and we could come back at 6:30 to see if they had any cancellations. The couple in front of us said that the slipped the guy a $20 bill and were going to get a seat in the steak restaurant we were trying to get into. The doors were still open and you could clearly see all of the open seating. The maitre'd came to the door and allowed the couple to be seated and began shut the door in our faces. We then asked him if we would be able to eat as there seemed to be plenty of open seating. He said no because that's not how it works- apparently just because there are open tables there may not be enough staff to serve them all and we would never get our food. This seems bogus in my opinion. He said to come down in the morning and make a reservation for the next night. My husband went down first thing the next morning and found the maitre'd. The man was closing up all of his books and said sorry everything is booked. Seriously? My husband then spoke with a manager who said that they aren't in charge of the restaurants and have no control over what happens with them. So basically they are telling us that on our anniversary vacation we will not be able to have a nice sit-down dinner because everything is "booked" when clearly last night as we walked past several restaurants there were plenty of open tables. We are checking out of here a day early and booking a night at Atlantis. I am not paying to stay somewhere and be treated so poorly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!