Never having been there, and reading mixed reviews here we were not sure what to expect. Traveling with another couple we were going on a recommendation from one of their friends who travels there often.
Upon arrival we were upgraded immediately to a junior suite. A pleasant surprise, but turned out to be luck not skill! Great room on 14th floor. NO problems with the elevators btw. One trip seemingly hit every floor down before dinner one evening, so after reading all the neg reviews on how bad the elevators were I decided to time it... a whopping 2:25 extra to reach ground level. Boy was I peeved--not. I work in Manhattan & we can be the least patient people on the planet but really?!
Oh by the way, TIP the workers! How anyone traveling even infrequently cannot realize that this simple inexpensive method can make ALL the difference in the world on customer satisfaction is mystifying. They are grateful to get extra cash AND recognition!. My friend was there 1 day before we arrived & "seeded" who he perceived was one of the people in charge. That made all the difference! Suffice to say we were treated quite well and were very simply happy to be there.
The food was good to very good. Several interesting choices and all quite fresh. There were so many people going in for lunch around 1 every day it was like a cattle call. If you were patient and did not see something it would be refreshed almost instantly with a hot batch of new food! Wine bottles appeared on our set table instantly and beer on tap. Suffer the masses!
We ate buffet for breakfast & lunch. We ate at the specialty restaurants every night at the later service, 9pm where the food was very good to excellent; portions were small, but they would accommodate you if you wanted an app & a salad no questions asked. The service was borderline white glove; unobtrusive, quiet and efficient. Everything was served as ordered, no mistakes. The specialty restaurants are nice too in the sense that they are smaller intimate rooms; much the opposite of the buffet.
We also used the spa for couples massage; mine was avg & wife's was rough. They have decent locker rooms with sauna & showers. They also had 2 dipping tubs one being hot which were spa only & we hung out for 45 min or so after massage just soaking & relaxing.
We also did not go into the entertainment lounge or the gym, but rather we went to Atlantis Casino after dinner each night. Not unpleasant 10 minute walk through the various buildings they have, and easy quick access to restaurants & casino.
We did not spend time in the pool; my wife did not like the look of it. We used the bar for drinks & lounged one afternoon beside it, but spent all our time on the beach in that fantastic sand and amazing water. The jet ski guys were OK after you told them no thanks. The beach did get more crowded on Saturday with the public beach next to RIU, but that seemed to be the dump-off point for the cruise ship people looking to go to the beach for the day. Not a big deal.
All in all would definitely go again & book the same room. In fact I don't think I would change too much about the trip at all.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Paradise Island Hotel
- Riu Palace Paradise Island Hotel Paradise Island
- Riu Hotel Paradise Island
- Riu Paradise Island
- Paradise Island Sheraton
- Paradise Island Riu Hotel
- Riu Paradise Island Bahamas
- Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island Bahamas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Paradise Island (the Bahamas), 3 km/1.8 miles from Nassau * 100 m/328 ft from "Atlantis", the largest casino in the Caribbean * 14-story building * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 3 km/1.8 miles to downtown Nassau * 200 m/656 ft from various shops * 25 km/15.5 miles from the airport * 200 m/656 ft from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Amex, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Orbitz, Otel, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.