“Beautiful location, small all inclusive a little outdated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #13 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
West Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Beautiful location, small all inclusive a little outdated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Right next door to Atlantis, but of course you need to stop at the beach to Atlantis if not staying on property. We came from Atlantis, and added the end of the trip at the all inclusive. The pool was small but nice, beach very pretty but rough. A smaller older resort than we are used to, and the steak and Japanese restaurant were our favorite. No real nightlife, so if you want that, walk over to Atlantis. Ask for top shelf on the drinks and pack a solo cup or thermal sipping cup from home, to keep from constant trips to the pool bar. Staff was very friendly

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

3,035 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

So, I have to say I was extremely nervous reading some reviews, however this trip was wonderful! First walking into the hotel, the front desk wasn't as pleasant as I had hoped for. We had came a few hours early and wouldn't let us check in a minute before 3, as well as, give us an upgrade for anything less than $100 per night. We took the room given and I must admit it was still beautiful. We had the view of the ocean and of the pool.

Beach- We later went to the beach which was so beautiful and the vendors are NOT as bad as some of the reviews make them. The jet ski vendors were actually funny, and if you say no once they don't bother you again. They have to make a living too! Also, there was a shark in the water and they were the first ones to get everyone out of the water!

Pool- We didn't spend much time at the pool, but the swim up bar is great. I recommend the Pina Coladas! They were delish!!

Food- This was something I was also very worried about, but was pleasantly surprised!! The lunch was just OK, but the breakfast was awesome and dinner was AMAZING. We went to the steakhouse which was great, but Krystal was definitely our favorite!! The lamb was to die for, and I'm always nervous to eat lamb out. The appetizer, entree, wine and dessert was phenomenal! I actually wish they had this is NY to go back to!

Spa- My boyfriend had a deep tissue massage and said it may be one of the best he's ever had!

We did the dolphin excursion through Blue Lagoon which was great!! Every night we would walk over to Atlantis (which was literally steps away) for the casino, comedy club and such. Granted, they had more stuff to do in the evenings, however they are EXTREMELY over priced and make NYC look cheap! 4 martinis was $70 and the club entry was $50 for men and $25 for women. Go to the aquarium after 6 because then its free!

We had a wonderful time and I was debating between 4 and 5 stars. You can't beat the price! It was a great trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I went for five nights. I was a bit apprehensive due to the reviews, however every aspect of the hotel exceeded expectations. The food was fresh and very good. The only thing that was inconvenient was the reservations for speciality restaurants. I am going to go there very soon with my entire family

• Stayed June 2013
San Marcos, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I know I am almost 11 months late on this review, but after doing research for an upcoming vacation I thought to go ahead and write one. We traveled with our family and extended family and overall had a great time! Our travel dates were July 12-19, 2012.

My husband and I had been to the Bahamas on the first leg of our honeymoon years ago. We had such a horrible experience on that visit we swore we would never come back. But since my in-laws were footing the bill for this trip we sucked it up and would give it another try.(we stayed at sandals nassau and would suggest the Riu over sandals any day!!!!)

The welcome desk was warm and inviting and the people behind the desk were friendly. Our room was available when we arrived so we were able to go right to our room. We had our two young children with us, ages 5 and 7. Our suite was spacious and they had their own bedroom and bathroom. It is really worth the upgrade, especially if you have kids that are going to be with you.The rooms were a little dated, but were always clean and had an nicely stocked bar. The only complaint I l would have about the rooms is the balcony is TINY!!!!! We like to sit and watch the ocean and enjoy coffee in the mornings. Almost too small for two chairs. A little disappointing since we like to sit on the balcony quit a bit.

The beach was beautiful and VERY accessible!! We spent most of our time between the beach and pool and enjoyed every minute of it!

The food was nothing to write home about!! It was decent and always plentiful. There was a wonderful fresh fruit juice bar that was amazing! Try the banana or watermelon, you won't be sorry! The only other thing I would say was pretty bad was trying to get restaurant reservations!! I mistakenly came upon a long line one morning while going back to my room after working out. After asking what it was for I decided to get in line. I stood in line for almost an hour only to get up to the front to find out they had no reservations before 9:00 p.m. for parties of ten.(or anyone else for that matter) Remember we have two young, hungry kiddos. I take the reservation and inform the family we better have a late snack. After we arrived at the restaurant we were told they didn't have our reservation.... WHAT??? All that waiting for nothing! So, TIP... keep the paper they give you when you wait in line FOREVER to get reservations. I think this is a HORRIBLE policy on making restaurant reservations and should be changed!

Overall our trip was wonderful! we took one excursion to go and see the dolphins and it was TOTALLY worth it! The hotel is not 5 star but it was paradise island... much better than our nassau experience!

Room Tip: The family suite is worth the upgrade! Lots of privacy and the kids have their own room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Frist of all the view is incredible and the customer service as well. We stayed there for five days and I did not want to come back to work. It is really affordable and the rooms are great. Loved it; I would go back. definitively!!!! My trip was in October 2010.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Riu from 5/13/13-5/20/13 so for about 6 months I was keeping a close eye on the reviews... boy are they wrong!!! I traveled with 8 of my family members and about 8 friends and every single one of them LOVED it there. Everyone was so nice, did everything they could to make sure we were happy. The bartenders after a few days they know you by name. The food did not disappoint me, and trust me my family and I are very very picky with food. Everything was great! My husband and I cannot wait to go back !!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We just returned from a 5 night trip to this resort for the second year in a row. There were 11 of us and our experiences varied with the staff. We all agreed that front desk staff and management were unfriendly at best and rude at times.
The women in our group had to flirt with bar staff to get service which was ok unless they were not around.
The worst part of our trip was the theft that occurred. An expensive and less than a month old pair of Ray Ban's were stolen in a short 2 hour period in which the room was cleaned. We used the safe but these were inadvertently left out, again for a very short period. From this same room a dress shirt and a maxi dress were also stolen. Management showed little concern for the theft and in fact the GM treated me like we had done something wrong.
Upon our return I wrote Riu customer service asking for a credit in the amount of the items stolen. It seemed a small request after the 25K or so we had spent with them in two years. They offered my 18 year old a credit card as compensation. All I can say is they were consistently disappointing.
Lastly, if you want a relaxing beach scene, this is not the place. The sales guys for the jet skis, booze cruises, cigars, beads, dresses, and cover-ups never stopped, literally never.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As a service minded hotel chain, it is disappointing to hear that you encountered inconveniences in our property as mentioned in your review an that it caused your holiday to be less enjoyable.

We are deeply disappointed to find that our team did not turn around this situation to your complete satisfaction during your stay.

We assure you this normally does not happen and we know that you are talking with our Customer Service for a proper follow up.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!