“Great time!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 1000 Points
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Great time!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I just returned from the Riu yesterday and had a great time! I was a little leery after reading all of the negative reviews; however I was pleasantly surprised. I have stayed at the Riu Montego Bay & the Riu Negril and while Riu Paradise Island is not as big, it was still nice. The rooms were cleaned daily and in a timely manner, we had a great view of the pool and the beach having stayed in a odd numbered room. The biggest plus was the proximity to the Atlantis. It is literally a one minute walk and very overpriced. We dined at the buffet for dinner twice and I was not thrilled with the selection. We also had dinner at the Steakhouse and Krystal both which were very good. There was a large selection for breakfast and we were pleased. The hotel does get crowded at times but we were able to find lounge chairs. I did not care for the beach because of the locals trying to sell jet ski rides every few minutes. The bartenders were great especially Keeno ( not sure of the spelling). Everyone made us feel welcome. Word of advice to all, while this may be an all inclusive, tipping does go a long way and you will never have to worry about the service you received. I learned this a long time ago having traveled to many all inclusives. Bring some singles, let your hair down, relax, and enjoy the scenery. Don't expect a 5 star experience but expect to enjoy yourself.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Chamblee, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We arrive in the Bahamas In January 2013, we were shown to a cab and taken to the Riu Palace on Paradise Island. The hotel was welcoming, a beautiful lobby, very large and clean. Our room was ready before check in time. Our room was a nice size for 2 in a tourist area. The buffets were good, much like most all-inclusive, nice selection at dinner. However, unlike most all-inclusives, the free drinks were great, not watered down or served in small glasses. Nice wine selection as well. It was really nice when coming back from gambling or the beach to just sit comfortably in the lobby and sip a drink. It is a great value for the money. We went next door to the Atlantis to gamble a few times and heard horror stories from their guests. The property is huge, a lot of complaints about service, walking distance, etc. While the Riu isn't a 5 star at the normal rating system, we travel quite often and it would be a solid 4 for it's location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
north bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

we are currently at the riu palace , leaving tomorrow after 10 days. I read all the reviews prior to coming and have learned to take them all with a grain of salt. We were very pleased with our stay here. We were met at the airport and whisked to the hotel, only to find our room was not ready as check in was not for another 4 hrs, so we went for lunch and as it turned out our room was ready sooner than expected. The room on the 12th floor was spacious, clean with all the amenities including a liquor dispenser that was replenished whenever we needed it, all the mix and beer we wanted and a continuous supply of water bottles. The balcony had a great view of the ocean. A couple of times we ran out of tonic and a quick call to the front desk resulted in immediate service.
The meals were exceptional. We would have been quite content to have had all our meals at the buffet as the quality and variety were more than enough to satisfy us. we tried all the specialty restaurants and they too were first rate. The only complaint would be about the reservation system. There is no ryme nor reason to the line up. You could be the first one there at 7:30 but be the last to reserve when the lady arrives at 8. A simple ticket system would resolve that. The one consistent complaint in all the reviews is about this system, so if the hotel management is reading the reviews, you would think they would address this issue.
All the staff are very accomodating and friendly and go out of their way to talk to you , ask you how you are enjoying your stay and wish you a good day.
We found the beach beautiful but a bizarre system of umbrellas on the beach. We spent our days on the pool deck, overlooking the ocean and just a few short steps to swim in the ocean. Our umbrellas were free and yet those hotel guests choosing to lie on the beach were paying $25 a day for umbrellas, a ridiculous inconsistency
When you read other reviews you wonder if they were staying in the same hotel as we were. I am not sure what they were looking for at that price, but in our estimation, we got full value for our money .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Baker, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I took a trip to the Riu Bahamas for April 8-12, 2013 and we had a great time! First and foremost I want to say that this is not a 5 star resort, so don't go in thinking it will be. You get what you pay for. We read the reviews the day before we left and were terrified that our trip was going to be horrible, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I think the people who wrote these bad reviews expected way too much and just may be the type of people that don't typically have a positive attitude. If you want 5 star, go to Atlantis...but be prepared to pay 5 star prices!

Our flight went smoothly, and we took a towncar from the airport to the Riu for $60 (taxi is $40). The driver was pleasant and gave us a lots of fun conversation. The locals truly are very friendly! Once we got to the hotel, our check in went very smoothly. We decided to upgrade our room to the beach front suite RM 532 (which I highly recommend!) Our view was magnificent and it was so amazing listening to the ocean every night as we slept (we kept the door open). We put the green sign on the door everyday to signal maid service, and it was done promptly! Our maid Jennie was an absolute doll, and was so incredibly nice and friendly!

Our first night in, we just had the buffet for dinner and walked over to the Atlantis Casino for entertainment. There wasn't really anything going on for entertainment in the Riu, which I fully believe is because of the Atlantis right next door! Within 10 minutes of walking you are in the Casino or Comedy Club or Aquarium, so there is really no point in staying at the Riu at night (in my opinion).

We did the beach the first full day, and yes there are a lot of vendors because it is a public beach. However, you tell them no once and they don't bother you again. I do recommend heading down to the Straw Market in town (you can take a taxi or walk to the water taxis) because that is where you can barter items down for a way lower price than what they sell for on the beach! My favorite part of every vacation is meeting all of the other travelers from around the world. To me, this is what can really help make a vacation more interesting. We met some really great people from all over! That night we had the Japanese rest. for dinner. I loved the grouper, it just melted in my mouth! My husband had the chicken and loved it too.

The second full day we started off by getting massages on the beach (by locals not the Riu), it was wonderful! It was also only $35 for 30 minutes which is more than half the price of the resort fee. Then we took the water taxi to the Straw Market, and this was so much fun! You do not feel unsafe walking around downtown. Everyone is so friendly, and you really get a chance to barter and get local merchandise at a lower cost. DON'T EVER PAY WHAT THEY TELL YOU AT FIRST! Once we got back, we went to the pool and then that night we did the Steakhouse for dinner. It was good, but not the best I have ever had. That night we went back to the casino. We ordered room service once we got back, don't get excited for an elaborate meal...its just snack food.

The last full day we did a mixture of the beach and the pool. We really enjoyed the swim up bar, however, when it is busy...tip them $5-10 and you will automatically get served first whenever you go back up. That night we just did the buffet because we didn't want to have to be restricted to reservations. It was a Mexican themed night and was actually very good. Again that night we went to the Casino.

The next day we just had breakfast and hung around before heading back to the airport. We took a taxi on the way back, and the guy took us through the ghetto. It was a little terrifying.

The breakfast buffet is the same every day. It was good, but by the 4th day was kind of boring. The lunch buffet changed up quite a bit, but still had some of the same items. It was also good, but the lunch service was the worst we had out of everything. For some reason they don't pay attention to new tables and you have to flag them down to get a drink. The front lobby is rather outdated, but nothing you can't get over. Over all the place is clean and the staff is friendly. I would very much recommend this place, as it is the best value! Just go with an open mind and enjoy paradise!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the beach front rooms! We were in 532 and it was amazing!
Oklahoma City, OK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was kind of pessimistic about this resort. I have been to Riu's in Mexico and did not like their food at all. It was a pleasant surprise that the Bahamas had good food! Everything else was slightly lacking though:

We checked in and took our bags to the room (they don't have a bell hop that offers to do this for you) and the rooms are old! They had redone little parts like the sink in the bathroom and the bedding but the carpet had holes and the furniture looks 15 years old. All the rooms are ocean view which is nice but you also have a view of Atlantis's oldest tower and some big rusty thing.

The mini bar was decent. No juice but pretty decent. I like that it's regular Diet Coke and not Coca-Cola Light like in Europe or Mexico.

The resort is very Spring Break. It has 1 pool with 1 swim up bar and just tons of chairs. The beach is a public beach with lots of jet ski operators waiting to sell you a ride. The water is very choppy. Not the Paradise Island water I was picturing. If I was 10 years younger and a hard core party person I would be all over it. The Riu's do have a minimum check in age during March and April though so it wasn't high school students.

Although the food is good, having to make dinner reservations is not so good. They let you make 2 reservations at a time but they only take reservations from 8 - 9am each morning. I don't know anyone who likes to get up at 8am to stand in a line. Ridiculous. (So I sent my husband. Ha!)

They have several different styles of food to pick from and the buffet each night has a different theme. I didn't realize until I went to the Bahamas that it's all import island (Duh!) so this is why everything tastes very American.

They had some fun stuff at the resort - similar to all other Riu Palaces. They had a theatre/club room and had dancing or karaoke or a band each night. There was also a sports bar with several tvs and video games. They also had snacks in a refrigerator you could re-heat 24 hours a day. They had plastic containers of fresh fruit which worked out perfect when we had to leave before breakfast opened one day.

This resort is right next to Atlantis Beach Tower. Like you walk out of the lobby and around the hedge and you are in the Beach Tower lobby. Super convenient. You can walk through the Beach Tower and Coral Tower lobbies and be right at the marina which was awesome at night. Musicians and multi million dollar yachts to entertain everyone.

There aren't many all inclusives in the Bahamas. The service was mediocre and the hotel needs updating but since there is only 1 on Paradise Island I guess they don't care!

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean view but the higher the room the better the view
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was an excellent vacation! We were scared due to all of the negative reviews but were pleasantly surprised! We stayed the week of 8-12 April 2013. I am a 27 year old male. I am in the military and have previously been to the RIU in Cancun.
ARRIVAL:
We arrived at the airport and took a town car for $60 to the hotel. The driver was very friendly and gave us the run down of the area. It was a nice tour. He gave us places to go and places to eat while we were there. It is about a 35 minute drive from the airport.
CHECK-IN:
When we arrived at the hotel check in was very quick. They informed us that a king size bed was not available that day for my wife and I so we just upgraded to an ocean view suite. We stayed in room 532. We had a large balcony with a full view of the ocean. We had 2 showers and a double sink in the bathroom. We also had a couch, television, and full size bed. Our maid/room service lady was wonderful! She would stop and talk to us every day and clean our room. She was excellent. We did not notice mold, smoke smell, or any of the other horror stories we had read,
FOOD:
The food was wonderful. The buffet was always fantastic. We ate at the steakhouse and Japanese place. Both were fantastic. Service here was absolutely amazing. The waitstaff are top notch. The lunch service was a little hectic because they were slammed but it was still good. You do have to schedule the specialty places the morning of or morning before. You can schedule for current and next day. This is from 0800 to 0900. I recommend getting there about 20 minutes prior to wait in line. Just grab a drink from the bar and wait!
POOL/BAR/BEACH:
The pool was great. You would just have to go out around breakfast time and reserve your chairs. No big deal here. The beach was also amazing. Yes there were people selling stuff but we politely declined and that was it! Nobody was being hassled. The swim up bar was really busy. I would always tip the guy $10 and got my drinks all day quick without issue. Once again...some of the previous reviews about this were a little exaggerated. Pool was clean, drinks kept flowing, and the beach was AMAZING!
ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT:
At night we would go to the Atlantis which is a 2 minute walk out of the RIU front door. My wife and I enjoyed the Comedy Club. It was absolutely worth the $20/person. I don't recommend drinking here though...a Jack and coke and martini was $30. We also went to the casino every night. You can just take a drink from the RIU into the Atlantis in a to go cup. When you hit the casino you can continue to drink for free! We also took the water taxi to Nassau and visited the market. This was worth it! Every store you can imagine and everything is much cheaper.The water taxi is $4 per person per way. So $16/per couple round trip
OVERALL:
We would return here without any hesitation. Service was top notch. The food and drink was good...and there were plenty of activities to do during the night.I am sure my wife will cover anything I did not in my review.

Room Tip: An ocean view suite is well worth the money. Also, king size beds are not guaranteed. Just ensure yo...
Gta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Paradise Island between Mar 24 and Mar 31/13
We stayed on the 6th floor in room 616. We very much enjoyed our vacation at this hotel. We have previously stayed at the Riu in Aruba which was an equally enjoyable vacation.
-Check in was quick and painless. We were greeted with a very tasty drink in the lobby. Once checked in and we took our luggage to our room we were surprised to find out that they kept a restaurant open for us in case we were hungry.
Our room was very clean and exactly like you see in the pictures. Maid service was excellent. Our room was cleaned every day with new towels and mini bar re-stocked. The safe worked perfectly and I was pleased that the internet worked in the rooms....although we did have interrupted service the first full day due to power outages but it worked fine the remainder of the week with no problems
-We did not go to any of the specialty restaurants and were really pleased with the different theme nights at the buffet restaurant. We particularly liked the Greek and Mexican nights the most. We made sure to get the same table every evening as the waiter in this area was outstanding. If you go, look for Terrance.....not only is he the best waiter, he has the best personality and made every dinner a pleasant experience. Breakfast and lunch at the buffet were also good. All in all the food was very tasty. There is a lot of choices even for someone as picky as I am.
-The beach area was nice, sand was soft and there were no problems getting chairs daily no matter what time you get down there. There is a charge for the umbrellas on the beach but we decided not to use them. Depending on the time of day there is shade on the beach from the Hotel and at the pool. The pool was also nice but we preferred the beach. The water was a little rough and the red flags were up for several days during our stay. The hotel had a life guard keeping people out of the water. Some people objected and didn't understand but it was for their safety. We went to the beach just beside the hotel where it is public to enjoy the waves and can confirm that if you are not strong on your feet or a strong swimmer, it wasn't a good idea to go in. The under two was very strong and the waves were absolutely brutal. We witnessed many grown men taken under by the waves. My husband had to save a little boy that was continually taken under the water by the waves and was calling for help. So if you see the red flag, think twice before ignoring that warning.
There are people on the beach selling items and asking if you want to rent jet skis or go on a booze cruise. These are people just trying to make a living and were very friendly. They took a no thank you with no problem and we didn't find them a nuisance.
-The staff was great and even though some reviews suggest that they expect tips, this is definitely not the case....no idea what gives them that idea. We didn't tip until the end of our trip....the last day and we found every staff member to be helpful and never found that the people that tipped at every drink request received better service. The service is great regardless of whether you tip or not.
Atlantis-it was very nice having the Atlantis next door and we went for several walks through the Marina and shops. If you want to see some gorgeous yachts, you must take a walk through the Atlantis marina. You can go right down and take a walk around the different slips so you are right beside the yachts. They are magnificent. The set up is nice but the shops are a little expensive. I think staying at the Riu and walking over to the Atlantis was the better choice.
All in all, our stay at the Riu was excellent and we enjoyed our stay and we would recommend visiting the Riu Paradise Island to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!