“no riu palace” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Rochester, New York
“no riu palace”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed on 1-27-13 for 5 night .My room always smelt moldy but quickly went away when opening the doors other then that my room was fine although a lot of other people had trouble. Dining the worst set up I ever seen you could book every day fron 8am to 9am they booked two days in advance the first day was all booked both seatings the second day they only had 830 pm left and so on for the 5 days . the resturants were always booked ,They have 4 of them but only opened two per night .As I would walk by the resturants at night there were always a lot of empty tabels open? My advise is this is no PALACE go to the Riu in Aruba they got there act together.This place is mismanaged to save money and not worry about the guest

Room Tip: Look at the second room first
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
Kleinburg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is such a popular location for Canadians departing from Toronto. Majority of guests I spoke to departed from Toronto, and several were repeat guests some four and up to eight! Just as my friend recommended this hotel to us back in May of last year for all the same reasons. Short quick escape out of the city, weather, beach, and price are all the same reasons. As a trip advisor member who also reads reviews before choosing a hotel I look for constructive critisism as every individual does have their own unique experieince. Therefore I will try and write some key points to help out fellow travelers.

Trip 2.50 minutes.
Bus 35 minutes.
Check in 3 girls they were prepared for our arrival smooth and efficient

Buffet, the marlin was good and the tuna. Like most buffets you have to pick and choose

Some travelers complain about reserving dinner reservations however it’s quite common in all resorts we’ve been to . You must book in the Calypso lounge between 8 and 9am. I would recommend before 8 as I showed up at 8;10 and five minutes later she had no reservations left for that night. Luckily the day before I reserved two nights in advance as they will allow that.
Steak house restaurant wife had rib eye and I had the lamb and both were good.
There is two seatings one at 6:30 and the other at 9; so if you prefer eating early then you must get in line early.

Entertainment starts at noon around the pool, at least it starts later than normal athen some other resorts we’ve been to. One small pool not many activities.

The beach and water is one of the best around clean no seaweeds nice soft sand.
I counted about 24 jetski rentals on the beach adjacent to the Riu, so you can expect to be asked everytime you access the beach a simple no thank you works, however it's annoying.. Although they have a volleyball net on the beach in the two trips staying here I have only seen one game played.

Sunworhippers will have to move around as this hotel and the neighboring one do interfere with the sun’s rays. In the morning you will have to be on right side of the hotel entering the beach and then late morning you will have to make your way over to the other side. Pool sunbathing is worse so the exposure is very limited.

No beach service for drinks unfortunately you will have to go to the one bar only at pool.

Entertainment one show each evening other than that there isn’t anything else to do. Unless you walk over to Atlantis to gamble or the club for dancing.

11.00 cab ride into town or you can take the water taxi for 4.00. It’s a mecca for jewelry as this is one of the major ports for the cruise ships. Whatever discount price they offer you it’s negotiable .

it’s a place for couples who want to spend quality time together. Wouldn’t recommend this for families as their re isn’t much activities for the kids. In fact the only ones we did see were toddlers with young couples.

Sir Alexander gourmet good service food okay the sauce on the filet was too rich and heavy for my liking.

We were unable to make our Japanese restaurant as we decided not to wait for the late seating and just went to the buffet. Again they do offer theme nights however the majority of the food is always the same
The return trip to Toronto is out of the new terminal that was recently completed much nicer and accommodating then the older one. Again not much to do , it’s just a general lounge with duty free liquor, snacks, bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just returned from our 6 night stay at the riu paradise island and we had a great time. This hotel is not a 4+ star resort more like a 3 star,however the service was very good and staff was very accommodating. The front desk was great in that they made checking in a breeze. The pool was great and especially liked the pool bar where we did most of our drinking.The bartenders were very fast and always were willing to refill our drinks even before we finished. We were not too impressed by the beach. The biggest issue was that we were harassed by the jet ski guys about 5 times a day and let me tell you they were relentless. The beach is public so these guys were allowed to wait at the bottom of the steps and pretty much accost every guest. It was kinda funny the first day but got old real quick. They had no affiliation with the Riu and we heard stories of some guest who paid to ride the jet skis and never got to ride them essentially being robbed. Other than this aspect of the beach we truly enjoyed our stay and were able to go over to Atlantis almost every night after 6pm which was great. We might go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aurora, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just returned from a weekend in Bahamas for a family wedding. Being with family (old and new) could not damper my spirits of the overall experience but I felt compelled to share this review in order to help the next potential guests. The RIU is barely a 3 star. The overall hotel is completely run down and frankly dirty. Please take a look at the room photos and honestly ask yourself if the state of the carpet is acceptable??? The handle of the shower came off in my hand the first time I turned it on. The floor of the room was always damp. Really....?? Check out the lovely view from our room 308. The hum of the main hotel air conditioner would lull us to sleep (hear my sarcasm)...and looking out over the gum people had thrown over their balconies was AWESOME. Food was edible but nothing to look forward to. I heard of at least 3 people I met who got sick. We ate off the resort as much as possible. I know some people are looking for an inexpensive getaway to drink all day, and you will get what you are looking for. The staff were friendly and were doing their best. My heart goes out to them (and is the one hesitation I have to posting this review), but they are clearly not supported by the company. RIU has obviously reduced the rates so low they do not have the funds to maintain the buildings or pay their staff adequate rates (i heard many conversations between staff members complaining about work, shifts, management etc). The last comment is please please DO NOT BRING CHILDREN TO THIS RESORT. This in not a place for kids.
I am sure this review sounds unbelievable but every part of it is true. The issue with Paradise Island, is you can choose between a hotel like RIU or pay close to triple the amount at Atlantis (when you include airfare, pay-as-you-go meals, and room rate). Possibly, better value can be found in other Caribbean locations.

Room Tip: Try and get higher floors. My parents were on the 15th floor and had a very nice view down the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cozad, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had a great time there. It was a smaller property than we expected. The entertainment was lame but you are next to the Atlantis...pleanty to do over there. The beach is gorgeous. White sands, clean and pleanty of room. The rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable The people are quite gracious. Did have problems with the souvenir shop though, but there are pleanty of places to shop. If you are big spender you will have a hayday...if you are looking for bargains...you won't find them here. Overall rating from us...6 (scale 1-10) We did a few excursions: the dinner cruise on the Seahorse Catamaran is a waste of time. Although the food was good the environment was crowded. A catamaran is not a good place to have a dinner cruise. It is $60 per person seriously over priced. We took another catamaran cruise earlier that day with snorkling...was a great relaxing time! Was totally worth it...$70 per person. Most of the other excursions we heard about from the party we were with...nothing but praise. Easy place to chill and relax, or stay busy. We were there Jan 30 - Feb 3, 2013. Hope you all have a great time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had a wonderful time at this hotel style "resort". Great place for relaxation but not many options for evening fun.
Three small bars with extremely friendly staff. One small pool. Beautiful beach. Would NOT recommend going back in January, very cold, very breezy, the water was choppy.
We originally wanted to do our wedding here in November, but now we are looking at other places.
The rooms are clean however on the 1st night our room had a leak (from the AC, not too sure since we NEVER had the AC on), and the carpet was completely wet. We had NO water pressure in our room either.. the water was either VERY HOT, or BOILING HOT (I think I burnt my foot in the shower). We had someone come check but nothing improved.
Did not like that people could smoke anywhere, we had to keep closing our door to the balcony because the people above us seemed to be chain smokers.
Plus side, Atlantis is a few steps away, we spent 2 out of the 4 days there.

Room Tip: If you have any issues with your room on the first night, let the front desk know. We were stuck in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just returned from a first time visit to Nassau. Was fantastic. The people were friendly and outgoing. Clean. The Hotel was great. Would like to send a 'Thank You' to Shay at the front desk for making our check-in a breeze. To Dwayne at the Japanese Restaurant a fun and enjoyable evening, had my friend and I in stitches. To Terrence at the buffet, always laughing, outgoing and wanting to please. The hotel and food were more than I expected. Looking forward to my return in May.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!