“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Lexington, Kentucky
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the RIU instead of the Atlantis when I attended a conference held at the Atlantis. The reviews prior to my arrival were a little scary but this entire experience exceeded all of my expectations. The staff was great, food was awesome, the beach was clean, and the room was wonderful. Mini bar in the room was always stocked. You had to make reservations for the dinners if you wanted sit down dining but this was no problem. We would absolutely stay at any RIU again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

stayed January 28th to January 31st
Positives: great food, clean rooms, friendly staff.
negatives: Nothing to do. no disco, no nightly entertainment.

the hotel is nice well kept and the rooms are clean only thing is the hallway floors are damp. The staff is friendly enough and the food atleast was very good. we did one A la carte while the food was delicious it took about an hour to get our food. Their idea of nightly entertainment is for one hotel employee to sing kareoke but no guests wanted to go up, and this was only 1 of the 3 nights we were there. If it wasnt for atlantis being right beside this hotel we would have been extremely bored. i cant say much about the pool and beach as when we went it was cold and rainy and we didnt really use either of those things more than once.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Providenciales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just spent 3 nigths there for a friend's wedding. Rooms were OK, very clean. Had a suite, which had a pretty decent bathroom.

TV, and channel selection were crappy. Analogue signal (and terrible picture) and the remote did not work.

A/C only was cold @ night (nobody else had this problem, so was just my room).

The suites on the back end of the hotel, did not have a balcony, which is kinda crappy. Was not mentioned in any of the room descriptions.

Food was OK (for a buffet). Breakfasts were pretty good, lunch not so much... Service staff (bartenders, pool-side service etc.) was great. Need to book your reservations @ the a-la-carte resaurants in person, and only betwen 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Very inconvenient.

Beach is not very nice, and the Volley-ball court was a joke. Every Jet-ski operator is also a drug dealer. Pool needed to have more attention paid to cleanliness. People puking in pool etc, and the chunks floating around.

But hey, this was a very inexpensive place to stay. Close to Atlantis and the casino.

Room Tip: Do not take the suites @ the back side of hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Oakville, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I too was a little cautious after reading some of the reviews but was quite pleased and would definitely return.

I travelled with my husband for a quick 4-day "get away" (we just returned yesterday). I wanted to post this review promptly (or else I will never get to it--still have not written reviews for Greece or our trip to JA earlier this year), as I feel that this hotel deserves some kudos... So:

Check in--quick and efficient-we arrived 12:00pm--cold refreshing punch was waiting for us. We were told that we could check in at 1:30pm and our room was ready when we returned after lunch. The process was extremely organized.

Staff: Three words: Excellent Customer Service. This hotel had was full of very kind, pleasant and courteous individuals. Lots of smiles, and everyone seemed eager to help.

Food: Buffet was great--lots and lots of choices...well seasoned foods...breakfast--omelette and fried egg station, smoothie station, fruits, pastries and toast station, coffee was extremely fresh (served with hot milk--just the way I like it!), lunch and dinner--lots of fish (many different varieties), shellfish (lobster tail, crab, etc), carving station, meats-lamb, roast beef, chicken, ham), fresh salads and veggies, tons of desserts.

We dined at the steak house--it was an absolutely delicious 4 course meal--salad-seafood sampler (crab legs, prawns, oysters, octopus ceviche--just a little bit of everything). We had the ribeye (tons of sides-stuffed potato, seasoned fries--veggies)--baked Alaska--we could barely finish our meal--but it was delicious!

We also dined at the Japanese restaurant--this was not my favourite place to dine (although I love this type of food)--I found that this was not one of their strongest points (but this is just my opinion and is a very minor issue).

Rooms and hotel--very clean and spotless---well appointed with incredible views (we stayed on the 14th floor). The hotel was always neat and tidy.

Pool/Beach--we are "beach goers" (as we only get 8 weeks of summer over here)--the pool was nice and well maintained--the beach was beautiful and clean--very nice for walks.

Final comments--I would definitely go back--this hotel is next door to the Atlantis--we popped over there at night after dinner--and walked around the grounds.

The waves here can be very rough--I am starting to see a trend here with other posts, so this may be an ongoing thing... you can always walk down the beach (opposite direction of the Atlantis) where there is a cove--the water is very calm there...we did this twice--it was very peaceful. This would not deter me from going back--however--if you have children you should be extra vigilant when they are at the beach.

I like to exercise regularly--I visited the gym to use one of their cardio machines--it was clean-smelled fresh and nicely air conditioned. There were about 6 cardio machines.

Lyndon----(I believe this is his name)--our server mostly at breakfast was very courteous and always had a smile on his face and went out of his way to make us feel welcome.

I will submit some photos soon!

Room Tip: Rooms that are located on a higher floor have fantastic views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu from Nov 8th-15th and had a great time. The food was very tastey, staff was very friendly, beach was beautiful.
Only issue we had was checking in- it was disorganzied & we weren't told anything(example: what time check in was at, where to put our bags, where to get our towel card etc). However, once we got our room at 3:00pm, it was stunning! Got a great ocean view and room was spotless. We didn't have a room service card in the room, when I told the front desk they had it up to our room within 5minutes.
Gourmet resturant and Steak House were delicious, but I would not recommend the Japenese resturant. For entertainment, we went to the Atlantis every night-its a 2minute walk from the Riu, there is tones of stuff to do there for kids & adults.
We spent a day at the water park at the Atlantis and it costed us $120 each, was worth it! had a blast! However, everything at the atlantis is cashless-bring a credit card or rent a locker for the day.
Overall, great trip-very relaxing & enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were four guys down for a Thursday to Sunday scuba trip. We chose this hotel for the all inclusive and proximity to Atlantis. The beach is ok but the water gets deep about 5 feet from shore so it's not good for children. The hotel is aging but we had no problems with the food or service. It was about an hour to get to Stuart's Cove with the other pick ups but well worth the drive. We got sandwiches from the sports bar each day to take for lunch which was great along with the fruit from the breakfast buffet. Bahamas Divers is right across the bridge form here as well. Would I go here for a week with my wife and daughter, no. But if you are doing a dive trip it's. just fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the RIU from November 6th to 10th November. Arrived at one PM. The room was not ready. OK. Check-in is 3 PM. The Front Desk staff stored the baggage until we could check in at 3:15. We had a junior suite ocean front room on the seventh floor. It was stunning. The view from the huge balcony was superb !

The room was immaculate. The bathroom was super clean and there was a huge walk-in closet for our luggage and clothes. After having read a number of very negative reviews, I was skeptical about staying at the RIU ...... but ..... so far, so great! The inroom bar was stocked with liquor, beer, soft drinks and water. I wanted some white wine but there was none to be found. We called room service and asked for some wine but they said they don't provide wine to the rooms. What !!?? I think they should change their policy because there are many people who prefer wine to hard liquor.

Anyway, we found the service excellent, the food excellent and the ambiance excellent. I really do not know why some have given this place a bad review. We loved it and will go back again !!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the best !! ...big balconies and great, super views over the ocean !!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!