“Excellent 5-day Bahama vacation! :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

You added Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casino Drive Paradise Island | Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307, New Providence Island   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Conroe,
“Excellent 5-day Bahama vacation! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed in the third floor ocean-front suite May 3rd-8th and had a wonderful time at the Riu! The room as just as described and the view was spectacular. The patio is huge with a lovely panorama view of the beach and just to our left was the pool so we could take in the activities there as well. The beach was kept very clean and you could get lounging chairs for free and pay $25 for an umbrella all day if you wanted.
We found the food at the buffet good and varied for all tastes, and the specialty restaurants were very good too...especially the steak restaurant.
The entire staff was always pleasant and courteous and welcoming to us. A big shout out to our "cousin" James AKA Dirty Dan and Sidney AKA Rusty Nails at the steak restaurant. The best waiters ever! If you go, get seated in James' section and say hi from his cuz in Texas!
The Atlantis is just a short 5-10 min walk away and worth a look-see for sure.
We also especially enjoyed the Barefoot Sailing Cruise to Rose Island. Capt. Randy and Travis were very laid back and the best hosts to this beautiful island and we liked that they keep this cruise intimate (10 people) and you're free to snorkel or just relax and enjoy the boat or secluded island.
Overall, we had the best vacation we've ever had and plan on returning to the Riu again. We read a ton of reviews before going and weren't sure before going. After being there, we decided that you just can't please everyone and some people will look for the negative in everything in life and nit-pick a good thing to death. It's all in your attitude.
The only people who may not enjoy this resort as much would be those looking for the most private, quiet, romantic of spots. In that case, I'd suggest the more high-end, secluded resorts that cater to those sorts of places for couples and enjoy! :)

Room Tip: If you want a view, ocean front suite is the way to go...would suggest higher floors for less noise...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel is nice, the food is decent, but not great, only one pool that is aprox 4 ft deep. We had booked a junior suite with an ocean view. The rooms are clean, but our carpet was wet and there was a smell of dampness and mould, you had to keep the AC on High all the time to get rid of the smell or else we couldn't breath! We booked the suite for 3 adults (my sister myself and my 13 year old son who is 5ft8inch tall) staying in the room The bed was 2 small double beds pushed together, this is what they expected the 3 of us to sleep on!! The room was not a suite but a small double room. When we complained, they told us that this is considered the junior suite and that the only thing they could do was add a cot, the cot was so small that when my son slept in it, his feet would stick out of the end of the bed, it was clearly meant for a small child. The only thing that was really nice at this "resort" is the beach, really nice and what I expected, the view from our balcony was nice and the fact that you are right next door to the Atlantis is excellent. Honestly, this place is really a 3.5 star...maybe a 4star, definitely not a 5!
Tip: if you go to the Atlantis after 5:30pm, usually you can get in for free to see the aquarium, otherwise it's $39.00per person.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Was just here for a 5 day vacation. They had just received a record amount of rain the day prior to my arrival, so there was a lot of maintanence going on due to some rain damage in the lobby, but they seemed to work quickly to repair things, and didn't make much noise. My goal was a low maintanence beach vacation for some R&R and this definitely met that goal. Great beach, nice pool area (though on a few days the lounge chairs did fill up pretty quickly). Love the fully stocked mini-bar that's included with the room.

Food was fine for an all inclusive--definitely multiple options for any taste. 4 specialty restaurants--you have to get up between 8-9am to make reservations for these. They let us make reservations for 2 days at a time, which helped, but it was still an annoying procedure. Why not have a phone reservation line or something? The japanese restaurant was my favorite--enjoyed the sushi. Krystal was a seafood/fusion type restaurant and while the food was good, it was sort of pretentious and trying too hard. Sir Alexanders had a french flair and wasn't my favorite (duck l'orange--kind of scary...what was I thinking? The creme brulee was good though) , and I didn't try the Steak house.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

Right next door to the Atlantis and you can walk through the lobby of the nearest Atlantis tower to get to the Casino. Would also recommend the walk to the Versailles Garden and Cloisters which is a gorgeous public garden near the Ocean Club. It's about a 20 minute walk and well worth it if you're looking to get out of the hotel for a little.

Room Tip: Had a third floor room overlooking the pool. Great ocean view. Could be noisy at times, but I liked...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Leonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

If i could give this hotel 3.5 stars I would. Wasn't good, wasn't great. It IS cheap and food and alcohol is unlimited. I don't know if I would take a family vacation here with young children. The younger set usually doesn't blend well with unlimited alcohol situations. Pool was small and looked a little cloudy (due to drinks probably) but I didn't come to the Bahamas for the beach. Hotel is right next to the Atlantis which was nice and beach was very nice. You do have to pay for the umbrellas but not the chairs. There is no drink service but it's really not hard to walk up to the bar to get a drink.
This was my first time at an all inclusive and we got a rate for a little less than 400$ per person for two days. Considering all of your food and alcohol is included I didn't think this was too bad. The staff was incredibly nice and seemed to have a lot of patience. The hotel room of two queen beds was two doubles pushed into a King which was fine. I will never understand why high humidity hotels in the Caribbean choose to carpet all of the rooms. It's crazy and they always did feel a little damp. Room was clean though and we did have a nice view of the beach. The restaurants didn't seem like anything crazy and I can see how the buffet would get old after a few days but there were enough options for the weekend. Salad bar and fruit was fresh.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

When we first got to the resort it was raining (which they can't help) and I was shocked to see the place was literally falling down. Ceilings were leaking and falling in all over the hotel. They laid towels and finally sheets down to soak it all up. Big turn off but as soon as the rain cleared up it was better. Only 1 small pool with a swim up bar. Beach is great but no drink service on the beach at all. Buffet was good with lots of options and we ate it a lot because in order to reserve a specialty restraunt you have to go to the lobby between 8-9a. I think this stinks because my whole vacation plan is to not have to wake up early and be somewhere!! There is a small store and a convenience store on site. The spa is expensive for the service you receive but they do offer several things to do. Our crew went to the Atlantis next door and they said that was way better for massages. All and all I can't complain because the Bahamas are amazing and it's all inclusive unlike the Atlantis next door.

Stayed April 2012
Drums, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

MY husband and I just came back from from the Riu -no problems,service was great food -for an all inclusive was very good,speciality restaurants all were very good(it depends on your taste)
Room was very clean,they could use a face lift and carpet could be changed-but never even had to ask for extra towels-Highly recomend this place-location,cant beat it,you could walk to alot of things-atlantis aquarium was a 20 min walk,after 6pm free-beach was clean-service at bars was good-at pool bar,if you remenber to bring yourself a bigger plastic cup for drinking out of-they service in dixie cups-drinks dont get warm,but you walk back and forth too many times-I would go back next month if I could-Drums,Pa

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We had the pleasure of a short but sweet stay at the RIU Palace on Paradise Island from April 21 to 24. Our room on the 15th floor boasted an expansive view of the beach, downtown Nassau and neighbouring Atlantis Hotel. We could also watch the many cruise ships navigate their way in and out of the harbour. Check in and checkout was a breeze and our room was exactly what we expected.

Our room was cozy and fridge/bar well stocked. Bed was wonderful and the balcony was terrific. Being on the top floor offered a “closed” balcony which offered shelter from the wind so our late afternoons were spent enjoying our room, in-room bar and the view.

We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast especially the cappuccino and mimosas! Our servers were always attentive and full of fun. We tipped generously at all meals and in our room. Overall I found the entire staff warm and friendly. I had some of the best conversations with the hotel staff and learned a lot about the Bahamas. In total were in the Bahamas 10 days (7 at another resort). I think the Bahamians were pleased that we were so interested in their country and food and culture they were glad to share. I am glad that we spoke the same language.

We enjoyed the Japanese al a carte “Tengoku” because it was a quiet sanctuary. There was no music, no loud voices, just the sound of the waves from the ocean and a great meal. The sushi for two was good and fresh. Our entrees were fine and we left satisfied and full. We also ate at the Steakhouse Grill and the portions were generous. I think my steak was the size of a small Bahamian child!!! I want to thank the ladies at the Omelette Station who asked how my portions were. I gained 5 lbs this trip due to the Bahamian child-size steak!

The beach is great. You can walk for quite a distance and enjoy the powder-like white sand. I snorkeled off the beach in front of the hotel, nothing much to see. You can stand in the water and see the fish that pool close to shore. It was sort of dangerous to snorkel because the jet skis don’t stay “outside” the roped swimming area. Big caution! We didn’t go into the pool because it was quite windy up on the deck and the pool looked a little “filmy”.

We went to the Comedy Club at Atlantis on the first night we were there ($20/person). We also enjoyed walking around the Yacht club area where you can view $35 million dollar yachts.
You must walk into downtown (1 hour 15minutes over the bridge) and enjoy the sites; Straw Market, Fish Fry, Harley Davidson Store, local vendors, etc. We took the bus #10a around town for $1.25. We paid driver when we got off. It was a great way to see Nassau. You’ll get a kick at seeing the “driving” etiquette – crazy driving going on here!

We were very hungry after our excursion and ate at Signor Frogs. What a blast. It’s like a party there 24/7. We had our first drink in the “bar” area where it’s suspended over the ocean so when there’s a big wave it splashes up onto the chairs and where you are standing. Quite an experience. We moved into the eating area and enjoyed Chicken Quesadillas and the best Margaritas in town. Our waitress “Anita” was wonderful. She was quick and speedy. She also managed to get up and join the staff in a Bahamian style line dance. She moved pretty well! I mentioned I liked her ring so she gave it to me! So in return I gave her a handicraft bracelet I got from Mexico. What a kind gesture. Thanks for the ring Anita I’ll cherish it forever. I’ll never forget the warm-hearted Bahamian people.

My only complaint about the RIU is there was too much smoking allowed in all areas. If you are a non-smoker, you have an allergy to smoke or you have small children, you are at the mercy of the smoke. This is the first RIU we have stayed at that allowed such a free run on smoking. I would like to request that smoking be restricted to the Sports Bar (24 hours), individual pre-designated smoking hotel rooms or the beach. Other RIU’s seem to be able to control this. Otherwise, a great stay.

Room Tip: 15th Floor has closed balconies and great views!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!