“A little disappointed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York City, New York
“A little disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

While we have stayed many times at Atlantis, this was our fist time in the Royal towers and I must say I was a little disappointed! The room while oceanfront with a beautiful view was missing the wow factor for paying such a high nitely rate. It was comparable to the less expensive Beach Tower and it had a pronounced musty smell. The carpets in the hall were dirty, the sink was stopped up, and the bedding was so so. Overall Atlantis is a great place with great pools and water features. The casino is beautiful but I never have any luck there. The restaurants and poolside eateries are very expensive,,not many cheaper dining options.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are the best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Third time back to Atlantis with the family (17 of us ages 1-69!) Still an amazing resort with plenty to do and overall an incredible holiday.

1. It's all about the money. A lot of the negative reviews on here are about how shockingly expensive the resort is. Don't think for a minute you can scrimp here. It's just not possible. Nothing is free and everything is double what you would pay at home. So if you can't afford it don't do it!

2.Its more convenient to swim with dolphins at the resort but for a memorable day trip book on dolphin encounters- you take a boat to their private island and swim with the dolphins there.

3. Babysitting is expensive ( nearly $200 for 4 hours for 3 kids) The kids clubs aren't free. If you have other family members to babysit/help out you will save yourself ALOT of money.

4. Buying a carton of longlife milk to fill a toddlers bottle is cheaper than forgetting to fill it at breakfast ( it cost our forgetfulness $5 to go back and fill the bottle!) Oh and the fridges are designed so you cant store your own drinks.

5. They have replaced the live steel drums with djs by the poolside- bad move Atlantis!

6. There are 3 Starbucks in the resort alone so great for those in need of their coffee fix

7. Fantastic choice of restaurants- try Virgils and Mosaic.

8. Even the Bellagio breakfast buffet can't top the Marketplace!

9. So maybe the rooms could do with an update but when you look out and see those amazing views you can forgive the less than new interior

10. The casino and club make for a great Las Vegas style night out

11. Drinking Water can be hard to come by! No joke.

12. The dig is the perfect place to shelter from the sun with the little ones.

13. Avoid the pools and take a lounger on the lagoon beach- quieter and closer to the real Bahamas.

14. A swim with the stingrays makes a cool change to the dolphins.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked my trip to Atlantis Harborside this year through priceline to save $600. The hotels charge $50 a night in fees and a $15 fee per night in tipping the maid service which we only got four out of the six nights but still tipped her for all six days. Also the Atlantis resort offers these gift cards to be used on the premises. Which I liked the idea of limiting my daughters to an amount$200. Each. Instead of unlimited room key charges. Well attitude was given to us everytime I pulled it out. Several waiters said they couldn't take it when the restaurant was listed on the card. It was difficult to make sure the card amount got used completely. In the end I paid $798 in extra charges for the room. The people were nice as long as you played it their way. I recommend not getting the gift cards. Paying cash as much as possible.

• Stayed June 2013
Ruston, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

LOVED Atlantis! Swam with the dolphins, Shopped till I dropped, and Enjoyed the lazy river that went around the resort. The hotel was amazing along with all of it's history. Every member of their staff was on their best behavior and knew great English. They all went above and beyond. I will definitely be returning. It is a great place for family, fun, and relaxation. The spa was awesome! But beware, the food and beverages were extremely pricy, which can be expected from a resort. But even with that in mind, the trip in its entirety was the total package! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Yarm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have just returned home from a stay in Atlantis Royal Towers. Not sure where to start but this place is nothing less than incredible! We had a beautiful harbour view room on the 16th floor so had views of the gorgeous Atlantis harbour with all the yachts, the cruise ships a little in the distance, and Dolphin Cay. We ate in many of the top restaurants including the Bahamian Club, the terrace at the one and only golf resort, and seafire steakhouse. The food and service was out of this world. This is not a cheap resort, there is a 15% gratuity charge on top of most things, however we didn't mind paying as it was so nice. The pools, beaches and waterpark are fantastic, as is the incredible marine life. The staff at this hotel could not have done enough for us, they were so pleasant and helpful, and we were always sure to be polite and courteous back. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for some of our fellow guests, a please or thankyou would not have gone amiss. Overall this resort, I would say had to be one of the best in the world. It might not be ideal for people with kids due to the money you can spend there, however there are different options for eating etc I will definitely be returning here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013
Southampton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were at Atlantis for a business/pleasure function. I first have to say what a friendly place. The staff was always smiling and a pleasure to speak to. Jilliette was our housekeeper in Royal Tower East. Anything we needed she got it for us. Jilliette was always eager and willing to help us. She always said good morning to us every day. But there were so many friendly people there. There was Alexis and Uncle Willie in the Grand ballroom. They helped me with bringing plates back to my seat for my husband and myself at our business dinner. My husband and I did some excursions while we were there. We did Snorkel the Ruins, which will have you swim with the Manta Ray Athena. That was a wonderful experience and we have some great pictures. Be sure to get an underwater camera. My husband chose to Snuba as his excursion and I did the Ultimate Trainer. My husband enjoyed the Snuba excursion. He said the staff was friendly and very informative. I myself highly recommend the Ultimate Trainer for the day. It was amazing. There you do almost every experience offered at Dolphin Cay and you get a personal photographer. We were in Orientation 2. Our first trainer was Kay-Kay. She was amazing. She is very smart and funny. We learned a lot from her about dolphins and sea lions. Not to mention we got spend some quality time with dolphins and sea lions. We also had one of the dolphin trainers Lennico (aka Superman) who was very personable and made sure to say hello to us whenever he saw us. He even posed like superman lol. His dolphin was the first one we met, I think was named Makai. I have to give a shot out to our photographer Brentwood. Be sure to request him, he got some amazing shots of the encounters. Some shots were candid and came out wonderful! He is very nice and a great photographer. One of the sea lions there is from one of my favorite movies and Brentwood and Kay-Kay was able to get me a special picture with Cassie the sea lion. Dominick was our trainer with Freebie. He was great he let us do tricks with Freebie, who is such a beautiful creature. Dominick really took his time with us to show us all the tricks that Freebie can do. You can tell that Dominick truly loves his sea lion. We then went with Jenay who gave us a nice tour through the hospital and helped us make food for the nurse sharks and the sting rays. Jenay is very smart as well. I greatly enjoyed her company and all the information she brought to the table. She also was very encouraging if you were nervous about something she made you feel comfortable. The one thing that people should know about Dolphin Cay is that it houses misplaced marine mammals from New Orleans who lost their home during Hurricane Katrina. Dolphin Cay at Atlantis searched for all the animals that were set free because of Hurricane Katrina and brought them home to Atlantis. One dolphin Noah has COPD and needs nebulizer treatments in order to survive. They located him and took him. Dolphin Cay performs many rescues and cares for many animals. When a person takes an excursion there you are helping the animals. I have to say that the Ultimate trainer was worth the money and made the trip. While we were there we had a lot of liquid sunshine (rain). Here’s a tip, the lines for the water park are much shorter in the rain. So if it’s not thundering or lightning go enjoy the water park, because you will get wet anyway. Murray’s deli has a great breakfast at decent prices and Johnny Rockets has decent prices for lunch options. Although they are still on the high side they are lower than other places on the resort. Better than doing the buffet every day. Also there is a liquor store and a Dunkin Doughnuts off of Atlantis. If you go out by the Marina all the way to the back by Johnny Rockets and Carmines, there is a path, to the left, that brings you behind the shops. There is a green fence and you can see a plaza with a signs for duty free liquors, Dunkin Doughnuts, and Anthony’s restaurant. You have to leave Atlantis to get there and cross a divide road. But the prices are much better for some alcohol than the bar prices. Also, there is a small grocery store there as well to get some snack foods and bottled water. I packed ours in our luggage top bring with us. If you get beer, remove the trash bag from your trash can fill with ice and cans of beer. Or you can use it for wine as well; just make sure no one mistakes it for trash. When you go to the liquor store bring a backpack or large bag. The plastic bags may not last on your walk back. There is also a Domino’s pizza nearby that will deliver to the hotel. We didn’t use them but know someone who did. Use these tips because it can be expensive to eat and drink at the resort. If you can save a few pennies here and there you can do more excursions. All in all it was a great trip, even with the liquid sunshine. I want to bring my son back to do the ultimate trainer and to see the water park. We were there for five days which was plenty of time. When we go back we may only do three days.

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms give great sounds of the ocean with the balcony door open provides for a great nap.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Missoula, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My Fiance and I just got back from a 7 day stay at the Atlantis Resort, Royal Towers, on Paradise Island Bahamas. I did spend the time investigating the Resort here on Tripadvisor before we left, so I did find myself anxious on what I would truly find there. I had my mind set to disregard all the negative reports I found and keep an open mind on the facility and service from first hand experience. But, unfortunately, we found our stay very disappointing.

First I will start with the PROS that I found for the resort:
--The initial response on driving into the Resort was jaw-dropping awe. We arrived at night so the grounds were brightly lit up. The check-in area is massive and stunning, and I found myself spinning around staring in wide-eyed wonder. The receptionist checking us in was not very friendly, but, what the heck it was getting late so I didn't think anything of it. Noticed that our reservation for a King bed had been replaced for two queens, for my 6'5" fiance this was going to be a problem. We were too tired to argue about it. (First experience with Atlantis Customer Service.)
--Did not notice the room itself in my haste to get to the balcony to check out our view from the 12th floor of the East Tower, which was amazing! The grounds, aquarium, and buildings were lit up in the darkness with a beautiful glow. We were delighted in watching the fish and rays lazily floating through the bright blue water below us. Awesome sights! I did go to sleep that night with a big grin on my face.

Unfortunately, the smile on my face was soon to disappear...

CONS:

The next morning, a Monday, we woke up to pouring rain outside. Darn, not a good start for a tropical vacation, but what the heck can't control the weather. We decided to sleep in a little after our long flight the day before, so it was closer to lunch time before we got out of our room. We decided to go check out the Lagoon Bar and Grill as the night before we noticed it brightly lit up and full of people enjoying themselves. So, we trudged in the rain, (didn't bring an Umbrella on our Tropical vacation for some reason, won't make that mistake again...) for a considerable distance only to find that at 12:30 in the afternoon, it was closed. Mmm... We thought... Maybe it was closed on Mondays? We turned around and back tracked up to Virgils and had lunch. Four more times we walked to the Lagoon Bar that week only to find it closed. It remained closed all week until Friday afternoon. Because of the rain, all of the little Pool diners were closed all week as well. Finding something to eat anywhere in the huge resort became a considerable task, especially when you were looking for a medium to lower priced meal. (Which, low-priced being said with tongue and cheek...) A light breakfast of a banana, pastry and coffee for the two of us at Platos was running us around $35 to $40. Bimini Road was closed when we walked there a couple times. The Deli was closed as well, etc...

--Next CON, oh, the Atlantis Customer Service. In all the above-mentioned dialogue in regards to finding a place to have breakfast, lunch and dinner, it did not include the great "fun" we had after finally finding a place to sit down and grab a bite. One of our first experiences, after another wasted trip to the Lagoon, was at Virgils. I think everyone in the Resort was attempting to find a place to eat so it was no surprise to find the waiting line to get in for dinner to be pretty backed up. That's okay, we thought, we will sit at the bar and eat. First we sat at a far end of the bar, and waited, and waited, aannnddd waited some more. But, alas, the Bartenders did not even look in our direction. After over 25 minutes, we notice two stools coming open in the very middle of the bar right in front of the bartenders. We practically knocked our stools over in the haste to get the to open spots. (Hey, we were truly starving and thirsty by that time.) Finally, like two excited kids, we claimed our stools and then proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait some more. We were sitting right in front of the Bartenders, waving our arms attempting to be served, but were literally being totally ignored. (Did I mention my Fiance was 6'5" and pretty easy to see?) Finally, an elderly black gentleman next to us was able to catch their attention and get an unsmiling sullen bartender to provide us a drink. The same gentleman had to claim his attention much later for us to order some food. This type of behavior and customer service was typical for our entire stay. Every interaction we had with the Employees at Atlantis, whether it was a waiter, bartender, concierge service, etc... sullen, unsmiling, sarcastic was the norm. I have worked in the customer service industry for 30 years and felt that this behavior was unacceptable. And, please do not think that we are snobs or something, because we are not, we are totally laid back when it becomes to handling these situations. But, after seven days of it, I was gritting my teeth.

--Then there was the price gouging. We had expected the cost over our vacation to be pretty high, especially after reading reviews left by previous Tripadvisor attendees. But, we were totally unprepared for being charged so much for every little thing. Be aware, they will charge you 4 different charges each night on top of your room price. After it was all said and done, between the taxes and levies, utility, and gratuity charge we ended up paying $105 more PER night. They will tack on a 15% gratuity to every meal, every snack you purchase. And, if you have a spa treatment, you will pay out a 20% gratuity. We have traveled all over and have stayed at many high end properties, but never have we seen such gouging to the consumer that this resort does. Be aware that they will charge you $3.90 everytime you run your room card to get a wrist band to walk around the property and use the water features. When it was all said and done, we ended up spending more than twice of what was anticipated.

--Most the pools close at 6:00, or 7:00 at the latest, so if you are picturing a nice evening swim in one of the glistening pools, forget about it! We found that out on our first day, when the rain finally stopped for awhile and we decided to go for a swim. It was 6:05 pm and we had one toe in the water, when we were flagged down by a worker telling us that the pools close at 6. Also, if you are going to use the water features/pools, make sure you get a towel early because most the time, the towel huts are without any, and you will certainly "enjoy" the sullen response when you ask for when they will be available.

I could go on, as I have so many more things to tell any poor unwitting traveler that may be considering a nice little stay at the Atlantis Resort. But, I find my blood pressure dangerously rising while writing these words. All I can say is, don't do it, don't do it. Consider another place to spend your vacation and hard earned money. We were very pleased when we did get into Nassau via water taxi a couple days, as the people and atmosphere there was totally opposite and I hated to think that the Bahamian People would all have negative attitudes. But, thank goodness that is not the case. It is the Atlantis resort itself that is the problem, they really need seriously consider how they are running their business, or it will sink into the gorgeous aqua waves just like the Atlantis before it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantis - Royal Towers? Share your experiences!