“Save your money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Seattle, Washington
“Save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

What's your definition of paradise? And what's in YOUR wallet?

This was our first time to Atlantis & will, without a doubt, be our last. I guess if we're ever back in the Bahamas, we can stay at the new Bahamer -- the new multi-billion dollar property being completed now and is touted to completely out-do Atlantis. We heard this from the taxi driver on our way back to the airport & we both laughed, as it wouldn't take much to out-do our Atlantis experience!

We stayed at the royal towers 8th floor - the view was of the island bridge & the entrance, & the room rate was $500/night. The rooms need a serious overhaul -- very old, dated, smelly, run down & most everything was broken (hair dryer, tv remote, coffee maker, shower - the water pressure was more like a trickle than a stream). It took over an hour to get anything delivered to the room (hair dryer to replace the broken one etc -- so think ahead & don't wait until you're about ready to go to dinner before you check this stuff out or you'll miss your reservation). Also make sure to bring your Dramamine because the shuttle drivers go full boar between points A & B -- ensuring that you're either too sick to eat your dinner once you get there or that you'll be ready to hurl it the moment you get back to your room.
If you're expecting to go to the spa to relax & calm down from the stressful airport, customs, and shuttle drive to the place -- save your money -- you'll walk out in more pain that you went in with. I booked a fire & ice pedicure -- the nail tech said this pedicure really doesn't work on calluses but you can upgrade to a more expensive one for that. I didn't have calluses & told her I was only interested in a foot massage -- she spent 30 minutes filing my feet & I walked out with so many raw areas that they were almost bleeding and it hurt to take a step. I had about 2 minutes of foot rubbing which was more like dabbing oil on my leg & heel. She finished the 1hr pedicure in 45 minutes. I understood why the couple before us was upset and making a fuss upon check-out -- this place is a joke! We thought check-in was difficult - well, check-out really took the cake. They charged us 13.73 for a 56-second phone call to the States. The room card & the front desk confirmed it would be $3.00 per minute prior to us making the call; however at check out, we were told that those prices are no longer applicable & that it's actually $7.99 for the first minute, & 5.99 for every minute thereafter. Be forewarned if you are planning to make a call to the US -- the priced listed & stated are not the ones you will be charged.
The swim with the dolphins experience was a total ripoff -- it's $130 per person & you go with a group of 13 for a total of 20 minutes (the majority of the "experience" is their orientation video") -- after waiting around for the dolphins to decide if they want to cooperate & do what they are being asked by the trainer, and everyone getting a turn...you do the math... you're paying more like $130/ minute for a simple dolphin pat & kiss -- no swim involved.
Think the beautiful Caribbean might be the perfect escape?...think again! The beach is the furthest thing from relaxing -- NONSTOP badgering to buy cheap sarongs, jewelry, & way overpriced drinks (3 oz Bahama mama in a coconut for $20...yes, US dollars...cash only). And any food you get...cover it quick, or you'll lose it to the aggressive wont-take-no-for-an-answer seagulls & other beach birds. Oh, and remember your handi wipes, because you'll need it to wipe all the bird droppings from your back & hair -- I don't think there was one person on the beach who didn't get plummeted.
Also, make sure you remove any items you may have stored in the refrigerator overnight - PRIOR to checkout -- they remotely lock the refrigerator & mini bar morning of your expected checkout & will not reopen -- explains the chocolate covered strawberries that were in there when we arrived & will explain why the next guest will likely find a blueberry muffin that we were unable to retrieve, thanks to their unexplainable policy...I mean, honestly, if someone were cheap enough (and naive enough) to raid the minibar morning of departure, the incurred charges would undoubtedly to added to the credit card in file.
Lastly, don't take the shuttle from the airport -- it's presented as though it is the Atlantis shuttle; however it takes folks all over the island -- so be prepared to spend at least 3 hours getting from the airport to the resort -- an otherwise 35 minute cab ride that costs only a few more dollars than the shuttle. We bought the round trip shuttle for $29/person, but forfeited the return fee & paid a taxi $35 to save the headache.
We'd never recommend this resort or vacation spot to anyone - save your money & choose another Caribbean destination.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

2,559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

To be fair, I am a bit spoiled in that I get to stay at many nice hotels. This one did not fit the bill.

I went with my wife and another couple. My room was terrible. It smelled so musty that my wife asked to switch rooms, which she never does. The smell was so bad that it stuck to clothes I never removed from my bag. Room was outdated with old carpet, old sheets, stains on chairs. Not comfortable.

The staff was generally not that friendly either. Especially not at the hotels restaurants

The cafe Martinique restaurant was nice and had the best service. However a friend got very sick from eating at the seafire grill steakhouse

The beach and pool was pretty nice. My recommendation is that if you really want to go down there to enjoy the weather and beach - stay in Cove or Reef which were newer nicer and infinitely cleaner. They are so nice that you are not allowed at the Cove pool if you are staying at the other towers.

• Stayed February 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from our trip to Nassau and a stay at Atlantis in the Royal Tower. My family and I were nothing short of impressed and amazed and left with such good memories. If you are looking at giving your children the 'wow' factor, this is the place to take them. The stingray waters, waterpark and view from our hotel room overlooking dolphins diving, were spectacular! The customer service here with unlimited beach towels, seamless check-in and accomodating attitudes is a good reinforcement that the hotel is of top quality in management. I would agree, there are a few nicks in the walls which are an indicator that it may be in need of minor updates, but the overall grounds are immaculate and the architechture is beautiful.

I did find that this hotel is very expensive and there is a mandatory 15% tip applied to all services (and yet they still seek an added tip on top of this...even for self serve food purchases). For a few bagels, yogurt, tea and fruit bowls, we paid $50. Although expensive it was all still worth it. My one complaint would be that the male staff in the waterpark (and there are many of them) were quite pervy with my 16 year old daughter, looking her up and down and calling her 'baby doll'. Recommendation: bring a pack of water for your hotel room as in some shops, it apparently costs $8 for a large bottle.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to Atlantis a couple of years ago with my daughter & ex wife(I know it's weird) and we had the absolutely best time ever. Atlantis is unbelievable, when you arrive the entrance is fantastic and it looks as though you are entering a massive rock cave surrounded by water. We checked in and my ex hadn't booked because it was a last minute decision to come. The receptionist was great she allowed her to stay in our room for free and where we had booked a meal deal for our stay she gave Debbie that free too. The hotel is obviously designed around the lost city of Atlantis and is fabulous. The main attraction for me was the outside pools and water parks. There were pools to swim in, to lounge in, paddle etc. All sorts of water slides and rapid rivers etc. Lagoons to look at sharks, sting rays and loads of other fish etc. Fantastic beaches all around. Over 12-15 restaurants to choose from to eat. We changed our room 3 times until we found the best room for us with a balcony overlooking the entire water park and sea. We all had an incredible time and loved Atlantis. If I could make any slight moan it was a little lacking in things to do at nightime after dinner but that's all folks

Room Tip: Try and get one overlooking the sea
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We recently returned because of a work conference.This is our 6th trip to the Bahamas,our second stay at The Royal Towers.
Very large lots of walking 5* everything 5* prices.

Room overlooked the harbour almost the exact same view as when we stayed 8 years ago.Very clean standard room comfortable bedding.Sliding glass door and voila you have a balcony almost..I took the 2 room chairs and positioned them to face out. All basic amenities provided .

Weather - can't control that but of 7 days 5 were beautiful 1 overcast, 1 overcast cool and rain.The rest gorgeous.

Bar & Food Service- No complaints other than dinner will cost you 200.00 per night 1 bottle of wine in that price.Unless of course you eat pizza ,or Starbucks.

Breakfast in The Royal Tower( Market Place) ok...pricey not good value I thought it had gone down( food quality) since our last visit.

Lunch-most days grabbed a quick bite around the pool...remembered the Conch salad from last visit very good ! ALERT - DO NOT EAT AROUND THE ROYAL TOWER POOL !!! I was attacked by seagull
s like something out of THE BIRDS !! My hubby was in meetings so I just grabbed a tossed salad which looked great and a bag of Lays (needed some salt)...out of the corner of my eye I see wings coming at me ..salad goes flying I take cover and when I return for the all safe ...they took my LAYS !!!sooo no lunch for me...we also ate at Murrays Deli very good corned beef not like NYC but still good,The Lagoon Bar & Grill again with the seagulls kinda turned me off as they were all around the food stations.We really enjoyed Virgils in The Coral Tower pulled pork nachos very yummy!dinner at Casa de Angelo was good, and The Bahamian Club even better very attentive waiter enjoyed that night.
Pools- we preferred the BLU pool at the Coral tower (No Gulls that bothered us)and quieter.
I tried the lazy river at The Coral...typical lazy river ...I also tried the other river ride and that was fun but please be careful 2 of the ladies were injured on this one banged up knees and one broken arm !!!Did not try the slides this time because I am 8 years older and did not enjoy it the first time...but lots for the kids to do !!!There were many families there ...and some we met had been several times.They must have deals in the USA because I can't imagine what it would cost a family of five.
Internet was located at The Coral tower so a bit of a jaunt from the Royal.
Staff amazing only saw one not smiling.
Casino -made our donation ...have to try the SLOTS and hubby likes the tables.
So to summarize ..We enjoyed our time , will we return probably not, but if you have never been here you have to experience it at least once...we just found it costly ,we are not frugal people travel extensively ..just not value for money spent.

Room Tip: Coral Towers are older but have balconies think I would have liked to try it this time.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

A very nice resort, lots to see and do. So many pools you'll wonder exactly how many there are! Be prepared to do lots of walking as it is a very big place. The room in the west Royal Tower was nice, if it did show its age a bit. The restaurants we tried were nice, good food and great service, if just a bit pricey. Kids have more than enough activities with all of the water slides, pools and lazy rivers. The casino is big, lots of tables and slots. The aquariums and all of the sealife is amazing, don't miss it! And one final thing...the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in!

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the Royal Towers East you will save yourself alot of walking.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Yonkers, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been to the Atlantis approx. 8 times. It has always been a pleasure until this trip. Complaint #1. We went for a couples massage and it felt like the two people that gave the massages were not even certified.We spoke to the management just so they were aware and they gave us an 11.00 credit which was the difference of a deep tissue massage and a sweedish massage (funny hah). We weren't even looking for a credit. The last time we went we had massages two days in a row because it felt like a massage. We were looking to rest not get aggravated. We get them all of the time. Complaint #2. While gambling, which is the main reason I like to go to the Bahamas, I left my card on the table and my husband motioned to the pit boss to take the card because no one was picking it up. We didn't think it was a big deal. Well what a attitude we got from them. As if that was the worse thing we could have done. We told them how to do their job. Wow. Last complaint. The 15% tips are always included but we always give the additional 5 or so to everyone. That was a problem this time because it seems that the 15% is enough for 40% of the staff because the staff has such attitudes specifically the little cafe next to the market where your would have your breakfast in the morning. They don't even look you in the eye if you ask a question. Seems like you should be able to tip people yourselves. This was you get the correct service. But still 60% of the staff were still great. With competition coming in to the Bahamas this is not the time for the reputation of the Atlantis to be heading downwards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Royal Towers? Share your experiences!