What's your definition of paradise? And what's in YOUR wallet?
This was our first time to Atlantis & will, without a doubt, be our last. I guess if we're ever back in the Bahamas, we can stay at the new Bahamer -- the new multi-billion dollar property being completed now and is touted to completely out-do Atlantis. We heard this from the taxi driver on our way back to the airport & we both laughed, as it wouldn't take much to out-do our Atlantis experience!
We stayed at the royal towers 8th floor - the view was of the island bridge & the entrance, & the room rate was $500/night. The rooms need a serious overhaul -- very old, dated, smelly, run down & most everything was broken (hair dryer, tv remote, coffee maker, shower - the water pressure was more like a trickle than a stream). It took over an hour to get anything delivered to the room (hair dryer to replace the broken one etc -- so think ahead & don't wait until you're about ready to go to dinner before you check this stuff out or you'll miss your reservation). Also make sure to bring your Dramamine because the shuttle drivers go full boar between points A & B -- ensuring that you're either too sick to eat your dinner once you get there or that you'll be ready to hurl it the moment you get back to your room.
If you're expecting to go to the spa to relax & calm down from the stressful airport, customs, and shuttle drive to the place -- save your money -- you'll walk out in more pain that you went in with. I booked a fire & ice pedicure -- the nail tech said this pedicure really doesn't work on calluses but you can upgrade to a more expensive one for that. I didn't have calluses & told her I was only interested in a foot massage -- she spent 30 minutes filing my feet & I walked out with so many raw areas that they were almost bleeding and it hurt to take a step. I had about 2 minutes of foot rubbing which was more like dabbing oil on my leg & heel. She finished the 1hr pedicure in 45 minutes. I understood why the couple before us was upset and making a fuss upon check-out -- this place is a joke! We thought check-in was difficult - well, check-out really took the cake. They charged us 13.73 for a 56-second phone call to the States. The room card & the front desk confirmed it would be $3.00 per minute prior to us making the call; however at check out, we were told that those prices are no longer applicable & that it's actually $7.99 for the first minute, & 5.99 for every minute thereafter. Be forewarned if you are planning to make a call to the US -- the priced listed & stated are not the ones you will be charged.
The swim with the dolphins experience was a total ripoff -- it's $130 per person & you go with a group of 13 for a total of 20 minutes (the majority of the "experience" is their orientation video") -- after waiting around for the dolphins to decide if they want to cooperate & do what they are being asked by the trainer, and everyone getting a turn...you do the math... you're paying more like $130/ minute for a simple dolphin pat & kiss -- no swim involved.
Think the beautiful Caribbean might be the perfect escape?...think again! The beach is the furthest thing from relaxing -- NONSTOP badgering to buy cheap sarongs, jewelry, & way overpriced drinks (3 oz Bahama mama in a coconut for $20...yes, US dollars...cash only). And any food you get...cover it quick, or you'll lose it to the aggressive wont-take-no-for-an-answer seagulls & other beach birds. Oh, and remember your handi wipes, because you'll need it to wipe all the bird droppings from your back & hair -- I don't think there was one person on the beach who didn't get plummeted.
Also, make sure you remove any items you may have stored in the refrigerator overnight - PRIOR to checkout -- they remotely lock the refrigerator & mini bar morning of your expected checkout & will not reopen -- explains the chocolate covered strawberries that were in there when we arrived & will explain why the next guest will likely find a blueberry muffin that we were unable to retrieve, thanks to their unexplainable policy...I mean, honestly, if someone were cheap enough (and naive enough) to raid the minibar morning of departure, the incurred charges would undoubtedly to added to the credit card in file.
Lastly, don't take the shuttle from the airport -- it's presented as though it is the Atlantis shuttle; however it takes folks all over the island -- so be prepared to spend at least 3 hours getting from the airport to the resort -- an otherwise 35 minute cab ride that costs only a few more dollars than the shuttle. We bought the round trip shuttle for $29/person, but forfeited the return fee & paid a taxi $35 to save the headache.
We'd never recommend this resort or vacation spot to anyone - save your money & choose another Caribbean destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The iconic Royal Towers are the most reflective of mythical Atlantis, featuring grand architecture, artwork and design. Standard rooms have one king or two queen beds, a sitting area, French balconies, and suites have full balconies. All rooms and suites offer terrace, harbour or water views. These towers are closest to Mandara Spa, the Fitness Center, Aquaventure, Atlantis Kids Adventures, the Dig, Casino, two main pools, and several gourmet dining options. Royal Towers offers 128 concierge-level guestrooms, accessed by high-speed, keyed elevators offering the highest level of service and access to the Imperial Club. Complimentary breakfast served daily and in the afternoon hors devours and cocktails are on offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Amex, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Atlantis - Royal Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantis - Royal Towers Hotel Paradise Island
- Atlantis Royal Hotel
- Atlantis Royal Paradise Island
- Atlantis Paradise Island Royal Towers
- Royal Towers Atlantis
- Royal Towers Of Atlantis
- Atlantis - Royal Towers Bahamas/Paradise Island