“Good place for people of most ages” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Casino Dr, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
toronto
“Good place for people of most ages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Nice hotel on huge grounds. It needs a bit of upgrading as it starts showing its age. However there are so many things to do and the grounds are huge. Lots of walking from one place to the other. As it is a location for all ages it can be noisy in the various pools and restaurants. Problem also is that sometimes it is hard to book a restaurant. The hotel room is good size, good bathroom and all in all nicety appointed.
Would go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Last night my flight was cancelled because of weather. I called Orbitz/Atlantis to explain my situation. I was looking forward to this trip for a long time. I am shocked/upset that the hotel would not refund my money. I am currently getting the run around. This is just bad business all around. I would never use this resort moving forward and i hope no one else does. If this is how they treat you when things are difficult why would i want to go there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is the sort of place everyone should experience once - but there are caveats.
This is not a new resort, it is aging, but that does not mean for one instant the design and architecture in the public areas is nothing short of breathtaking.
It is astounding to see the various water features running through the resort, the lagoon, the massive glass acquarium windows in the main building, the beaches.
You could truly walk round for a day, open-mouthed in wonder at the luxurious scale of the place.
it is no wonder cruise lines to the island take trips there just so people can see what it is like.
It remains a wonder.
We stayed in an apartment in The Reef and this was fine too, large, spacious, clean, all mod cons, no complaints whatsoever.
Check-in was fine, we got a good rate - no complaints.
However, and here comes the buts....
The service from staff is sometimes hit and miss.
A small point but indicative of where it lets itself down....
We wanted to play beach volleyball. We asked an attendant if there was a ball, he said not here, look over there. We wandered over to the kiosk he indicated. The attendand there directed us to the other one. When we said he did not have one this was met with a shrug of the shoulders.
Paying these prices you expect better.
The waterpark and slides were great fun (if badly signposted) as well, but initailly we struggled to find rubber rings and the staff's assistance was vague.
Prices in the resort for drinks, and food, are also pricey, there are invariably various final addittions to the bill, overall you leave feeling a littel light in the pocket.
Do make sure you visit the expensive Mesa restaurant though, the Rib Eye steak was the best I have ever had.
Overall, it struck me as like Vegas - busy and well worth a three day visit but there are other options available on the island for a longer stay which I would find preferable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Atlantis is a beautiful resort. The doormen are so kind and friendly. The sights are beautiful, and even with such a big and busy resort, it didn't feel too crowded. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The resort shops are nice, and there's tons to keep everyone busy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband, our three year old daughter and I came to Atlantis to celebrate his 40th birthday. I did read previous traveler's reviews so I was prepared for the outdated rooms and overpriced food.

Upon checking in at 1pm, I joked about an upgrade and the clerk gave us a junior suite with a balcony on the 12th floor facing the water, whoohooo! The only caveats were we had to wait for the room to be cleaned and only two queen beds were available in the suite; both were fine with us.

Well the rooms were indeed outdated but not THAT bad. I think it was more the decor that reminded me of the Golden Girl's TV show. The only real complaint about the room at that point was a faint urine smell in the bathroom but a maid came an hour or so later to clean the toilet again; not sure it helped the odor :(

The only dining options we tried were the casual restaurants b/c Nobu, Mesa Grill, etc will not seat you past 6pm if you have a child under the age of 7; we were never able to make it since our munchkin (and her mommy) napped from 3-5 during this trip. The food in general was normal, not good not bad. Also the prices weren't THAT crazy; but maybe I'm just used to living in CT where food in general is outrageous. The service/waitstaff were PHENOMENAL, especially at Murray's and the Marketplace Buffet!!!

The aquatic attractions were AWESOME as well as our dolphin experience. I did get annoyed that we paid $70 for 5 little photos but whatever, we both have always wanted to swim and smooch a dolphin :))

So back to our room... during our second night, my husband killed a roach the size of our daughter (ew) but I figured it was our fault for leaving the balcony door open a few minutes (no screens). However, our last night, my daughter discovered ants in the bed her and I were sleeping in. There were about 10 or so of them and we quickly killed them all and slept in my husband's bed our last night.

Upon checkout, we told the clerk that room 12512 needed to be fumigated ASAP and she chuckled a bit?? Very odd I thought. I wonder if that's why we got upgraded so easily??

To summarize, we have always wanted to come here and finally did. Our daughter had fun and my husband had a great birthday; the ants and roach we could have done without! Would I ever come back? No.

P.S. shout out to the in room babysitter, Antoinette. My daughter, who is VERY picky about who she spends her time with, LOVED LOVED LOVED her! I wish we could take her back with us to the states!

• Stayed January 2013
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We spent seven days over the Christmas holidays. We stayed in a suite at the Royal Tower, myself, my husband, and our two sons (10 and 16 years old). We selected Royal Towers because it was near the Water Park and it had indoor children's activities. Both of my boys had a blast. Normally our boys do not enjoy the same activities, but they stuck together like glue. I loved the fact that the staff remembered our names and our likes and dislikes. The food was very expensive. We spent about $100 on breakfast and crazy amounts on dinner. It seemed that my kids would only slow down enough for a snack during midday, so we only ate lunch a few times. We did not use a meal plan. We are looking forward to going again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the water park and we loved it. It was a great view with the ocean beyond it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was our first stay at Atlantis and after careful consideration we stayed at the Royal Towers in a 1 bedroom suite. First off I am sooo glad we chose the Royal Towers. It is beautiful, the center and close to everything including the water park which is where we spent most of our time. The other hotels although nice are a bit dated and the Cove was a bit to upscale for us and our 2 year old. The Cove a bit of a snooty south beach feel. We like luxury but casual luxury. We had a suite at the Royal Tower and it was really nice and large in size. Perfect for us since our 2 year old goes to bed early, naps during the day etc. Definitely expensive but money well worth it. The grounds around the Atlantis are amazing!! The aquariums are really cool and all of the marine habitats scattered around the resort are just awesome. The splashers water park was beyond perfect for our 2 year old. He could run all over it even go down the slides as one of us walked w/him and the other lounged below waiting for his exit. He couldn't get enough of this and it was a thrill to see him so excited! The beach was ok but we may be spoiled. The food was par and expensive but we knew this going in so were prepared and we didn't really go for the food. I suggest buy some drinks and snacks from a local store and carry a cooler around to the pools/beach w/you. My husband was disappointed that they didn't have more 'local fare' at the resort (conch, fish etc) but they are probably catering more to families. The only complaint I have which can be a bit large is the staff. They were definitely very friendly and were ready to answer anything you'd ask but from my experience most of the answers were just whatever they felt like saying and were not actually fact. Also, I went rounds (and I mean rounds) about my bill and was told I needed to have what my suite plan and the discounts that I was told I would receive when I booked the trip in writing or they wouldn't accept them. This included, free breakfast each day (which adds up), free wi fi, dolphin encounter discount etc which we wanted to take advantage of and budgeted for. We travel extensively and I have never had to have this in writing and didn't think to have this w/me so I had to actually call 3 times and have someone from the Atlantis booking agency (their web site) call and talk w/the Royal Towers front desk. This was stressful and took away from my vacation but it saved me a lot of money in the long run and was worth it and I have now learned a lesson. I also asked other questions regarding cruise ships etc etc and again was just told whatever and then found out later something completely different. So just be on the look out for this and watch your bill closely and bring whatever discounts you are told you'll receive in writing as proof. From what I found out is they definitely do not have the 'customer is always right' policy. One other thought is the life guards around the grounds. Yes they were very nice and pleasant to chat w/but a good bit of them were also just chatting w/each other, on their phones, I even found one shockingly sleeping at the bottom of a slide. I really hate to even say anything about them b/c they were all very friendly but I just wouldn't let your guard down for the not so great swimmers out there. The spa was ok. It did the trick but nothing to write home about. Dolphin Encounter was really cool and the staff seemed very knowledgeable I just wish they didn't concentrate so much on taking photos (a money making thing of course) and concentrated more on interacting w/the dolphin. It was a cool experience all the same. All and all we had a nice time and will be back but the next time I will be bringing paperwork proving any sort of discount I should be receiving.

Room Tip: Suite is well worth the money. View of the grounds/ocean is really nice!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Royal Towers? Share your experiences!