“Great place for the kids” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$350 in Added Value!
Ranked #11 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Pleasant Grove, Utah
“Great place for the kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I had a great time with our six children here at the Atlantis Resort. The children had a great time with lots of things for them to do. We were there for a week and if it wasn't for the children we would have lost interest after four days. I'm not saying it's not worth it it's just that if you're going there without children you don't need to stay as long, but it's still a wonderful place to go. While there definitely try out their restaurants on site (they're awesome) or you will get bored with their buffet pretty fast, the food is great but mostly the same thing everyday and yes I feel a little over priced but what do you expect when there's nothing else to chose from (I'm never going to complain about overpriced Disneyland food again). The staff was wonderful and very polite, my twins had a birthday while there and when the staff found out about it they went overboard to make it an extra special day for them including bringing in an Island Band with instruments and all to sing them "Happy Birthday", kudos to them they deserve a raise!!

2,558 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have stayed at the Atlantis four times. We had a party of 19, with 7 rooms total. This time, we chose to stay in the Royal Towers. They certainly appear to be the nicest from the outside-- after all, they are the buildings which are always shown on commercials, and are located centrally within the resort. I must say, however, we were terribly disappointed with these rooms.

Our first room was located on the third floor. We walked in and noticed that it smelled like a dirty aquarium. Immediately we requested another room and were given a fourth floor room. This room had a musty, mildew odor. When we used the toilet, the water sprayed upward all over the wall. We called the plumber and he agreed that we shouldn't stay in this room either.

After complaining again, we were led to a 16th floor room. Interestingly, we noticed that even on the 16th floor, there were serious problems with moisture in all of the rooms. It still smelled of mildew. We noticed that in the hallways, there were blowers drying the hallway carpet. The manager assured us that there was no problem with moisture, mold, or mildew, which didn't really make sense, as it was obvious all around. We even noticed if we kneeled on the carpet in our room, that there was water spots on our pants. The rooms were also filthy, and housekeeping clearly didn't clean our bathrooms most of the days. We had to leave notes such as "please clean the bathroom", or "please replace the coffee", as this was never done for much of our stay.

The manager offered a fourth room to us. We were fed up at this point, and refused. We expressed our frustration with the manager, who said he would credit us $50 for the stay. This was a joke, considering our party spent $70,000 during this trip, between the rooms, food and activities. Certainly, had we been staying at the Ritz, Four Seasons (or even the Holiday Inn, for that matter) we would have been given a free night or two.

The rating for this property of "Terrible" is for the rooms itself. The rest of the property is nice and our overall experience was much better. The resort has plenty to do for the kids and adults. There are plenty of waterslides, lazy rivers, pools, and there is a lagoon with things like paddleboats, water "bikes" and kayaks. Everything is for a fee. If you are a guest here and expect chairs at the pool area, you need to pay one of the staff to reserve them for you, or you can get up early (7-8AM) and throw towels on chairs before the masses of cruise ship passengers arrive.

The food is hit or miss. The food served by the pool and outdoor bar areas is sub-par but adequate for a daytime snack. Everything is pricy. The "Marketplace" has a nice breakfast buffet, with custom-made omelettes. Our favorite dinner was "Mosaic", another buffet with quite a bit of variety and good food. This was similar-priced to the Marketplace, but way better.

Restaurant reservations are absolutely necessary during busy seasons. We tried to get into Chopstix, the chinese restaurant without sucess the entire trip. We did get into Nobu but at 5PM, which was good but pricy.

The kids club is great. For a small fee they will take the kids on hikes, to the dolphins, or teach them how to cook. Our kids (aged 3-7) loved it and always asked to go back.

Nightime entertainment is abundant. The club is great. The casino was crowded, and it was hard to find an open spot at the blackjack tables. There is a theater which will show recent movies out on DVD for free.

PROS: variety of activities, aquarium, kids club and amazing waterpark.

CONS: overcrowded (due to thousands of cruiseship passengers), rooms sub-par, poor response to bad service by management staff. Pricy.

Room Tip: DON'T stay in the royal towers-- outdated, pricy and need renovation. The Cove is newer and has...
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am going to give a very well thought out review of the Atlantis resort located in Paradise Island ,Bahamas.
If you enjoy Disney type theme hotels and are fairly wealthy then you might enjoy Atlantis. If you don’t fall into either of these categories, then please pay attention.

The Atlantis resort is a theme hotel based upon the mythical city of Atlantis and, while the architecture is very interesting, after the second day it becomes somewhat commonplace and you're left with what remains and that is a very expensive hotel with limited activities, all of which you must pay extra to use (yes even to sit pool side).
I have to confess that I am a person who travels for the location and not for the particular hotel in which I will be staying. Towards that end, my wife and I took the ferry from Paradise Island to the city of Nassau. The shopping in Nassau is excellent with real bargains and I highly recommend going and spending the day. Problem is that the ferry stops running at 5:30 pm so you have to be back on Paradise Island and the Atlantis resort by evening and are forced to eat at their restaurants. While the food is good for the most part, it should be noted all my final night there I ate at the Mesa Grill and had a $50 steak that, quite frankly, I could've gotten the same quality as that which could be obtained from most chain steakhouses here in the states.
I estimate that by choosing Atlantis, you are putting a 30 to 35% premium on your vacation cost relative to a similar vacation in the states.
In conclusion, I think I think Nassau is a lovely place to vacation. The people there seem very warm but I would recommend that if you do want to go to Nassau, book a hotel in or around the city of Nassau which has a number of very good hotels and avoid the added expense and limitations of the Atlantis resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Loved the seafire experience. An ice cold Sol Mexican beer at the bar to start off. Ushered to our table by friendly staff. Was a Wed night and the restaurant was three quarters full. Lots of families, couples and groups dining. I had an Angus 350gm rib eye with gorgonzola sauce. Accompanied by sauteed spinach, portabello mushrooms and steak fries. The steak was really "melt in the mouth" stuff. I enjoyed it enormously. The gorgonzola sauce was finger licking good and went very well with the hot english mustard. The table next to me had a humungous seafood platter that looked out of this world...next time perhaps. Not very expensive considering the location. Well recommended

Room Tip: Try the unusual gorgonzola sauce with your steak
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our entire trip consisted of the absolute worst customer service we have ever experienced. Every single staff member we encountered was rude and acted like we were a huge bother to them. Not a single smile or acknowledgment from anyone. One example of this: we went up to the info desk to ask a quick question and the lady behind the desk was sitting reading a magazine. We waited for a minute yet she didn’t even look up at us (we were standing directly in front of her). I then said “excuse me” and she responded with “yeah yeah I’m coming” without raising her eyes from the magazine. She continued to read for another few seconds before standing up to help us.

$500 a night and is this is how we were treated our entire stay. I would not return to this hotel if you paid me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Weather and buildings, beach, and water rides are great nut not worth the money. All restaurants on site are expensive (yes Murray's and Johnny Rockets are cheaper and several Starbucks on the properties) but a cab is needed to get off the island (practically) to more reasonably priced places to eat. 4 th trip there (all one week, 6-7 family members, teenagers and young adults) and I keep coming home feeling like I paid too much. Offseason prices are better. Lots of celeb sitings if you like that stuff. New Years eve celebration was good with Junkanoo entertainment fun. Beautiful golf course (Ocean Club) but my sons tell me it's a bit of a woman's course..their words not mine. The service is second rate for the prices charged. We had a water problem in one of our 3 rooms and tried 3 times to get it fixed (finally gave up). Other experiences were "slow" based on our competitive resort experiences.

Room Tip: Royal Towers closer to restaurants, casino and hub of activity. The Reef and the Cove are further aw...
Des Moines Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was very discouraged by the reviews I read. That being said, I thought the hotel was great. It's definitely a place for families though. I would never choose this place for romance. Most everyone I saw there had children in tow. The water slides are an absolute blast. Hope for good weather though because if it rains there not much to do. You can go look at the aquariums but that doesn't take too much time. We took our children ages 6 and 8 and they had a ball. Take a credit card because you have to pay for every single little extra thing. Expensive trip! Now that we've been there and experienced it, I think once was enough. Don't want to go back. We went Dec 4-9th 2012.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Royal Towers? Share your experiences!