“Family fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Des Moines Iowa
“Family fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was very discouraged by the reviews I read. That being said, I thought the hotel was great. It's definitely a place for families though. I would never choose this place for romance. Most everyone I saw there had children in tow. The water slides are an absolute blast. Hope for good weather though because if it rains there not much to do. You can go look at the aquariums but that doesn't take too much time. We took our children ages 6 and 8 and they had a ball. Take a credit card because you have to pay for every single little extra thing. Expensive trip! Now that we've been there and experienced it, I think once was enough. Don't want to go back. We went Dec 4-9th 2012.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Arrived on December 22--room on 18th floor in Royal Towers. Nice room with water view overlooked bridge. Typical amenities for upscale property, and mini bar prices weren't outrageous if you need a drink. Starbucks available in the complex--which we visited :). Property is huge, and you need to hike a bit to get to beach or to explore the entire property, Beach is beautiful on the Cove side. Water was chilly in December, but weather was sunny and pleasant. We didn't use the water slides--too cold for us, but many others did.

Enjoyed visit, and wish we could have stayed an additional night, but entire resort was booked for Christmas Eve, when we booked back in June-so book early! At this time of year the place was mostly families with children. If I return, I would stay at the Cove--all adults. My daughter is a vegetarian, and there were few options for meals other than the Marketplace buffet, but the food there was very good. Not cheap, but good. Atlantis has a Disney-like feel. No surprises, well run, pleasant staff. We ventured off-property on Day 2 and went to the area known as the "Fish Fry"--local eateries all lined up in a small area vying for your business. It was fun. On the advice or our cab driver we chose Goldie's--and were not disappointed. Good local food, and fun atmosphere.

Only disappointment was smell of cigar smoke--which I noticed even outdoors. Not horribly strong, except in the casino--but never far enough away for me.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This resort is massive and offers lots of activities, however, it does come with a hefty price tag. We travelled with our 5 year old son and when we realized the size of the property, we had to go out and buy and umbrella stroller. My little one enjoyed playing in the lagoon and the lazy river ride. We also paid for the dolphin experience (which was way over priced). The food at the resort is expensive and mostly fried. We did tire of the cuisine so we ventured off the property to eat a few times. Although we did enjoy it, it will be awhile before we can afford to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Janesville, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

For the past 6 years we have chosen to take our children on a trip for Christmas as their gift. This year we chose the Atlantis. My husband and I had been there twice before, so we knew how expensive it was, but thought we would splurge, as our children are all getting older and who knows how long we will be able to be all together on Christmas. Our experience was fantastic. We booked through our Casino host, Joe Savino who had everything organized perfectly. We did have a bit of the problem with the first set of rooms (we had 3) because we were booked on a smoking floor and we are all non-smokers. I believed they put us there in order to accommodate us immediately. When we asked to move rooms, they did not hesitate to find alternate rooms, and send the bellman to assist us.

The property was beautiful, as always, but especially so at Christmas. We also did the Deep Water Dolphin Experience, Sea Lion Experience, and Snorkeling through the Ruins. All were fantastic! I had fractured my sternum about a week before the trip and was afraid I would not be able to do much of the activities, but thought I would try to do as much as possible, The only thing I could not do was use the motor scooter or the dolphin foot push in the Dolphin Experience, which was disappointing, but the staff could not have been nicer. They kept including me with the other groups waiting for the scooters and let me pet the dolphin more, as well as have him sing to me. The staff in these experiences were all entertaining and wonderful.

I also could not do any of the rides at the water parks, but the ones in our group who did had a fantastic time. We were afraid the pools would be overcrowded, which they did look very crowded, so we perched ourselves on a couple of the different beaches around the property, which were very peaceful and not crowded at all.

We were glad we booked our dinner reservations ahead of time, as all the restaurants were full.
The food is the only reason I do not give the resort an excellent rating. All of the food we had was good, but not great. I did know this going in, however, so I was not disappointed. I just feel for the prices you are paying, the food could definitely be improved on. We ate at the Courtyard Terrace, Cafe Martinique, Bahamian Club, Dune, Seafire Steakhouse, and Dune for fine dining. The service at all of them was outstanding and the restaurants beautiful.

This was one of our best vacations for Christmas. Two years ago, we went to the Hard Rock in Punta Cana under an all-inclusive plan. We spent about as much money on both vacations, but they do not come close to comparison in quality. The Hard Rock's food was terrible and the service was atrocious. This was money much better spent. The resort was outstanding and the service even better. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, helpful and accommodating. I can not sing their praises loud enough.

Thank you Atlantis for a fun and memorable vacation and I hope to return again soon!

cabo san lucas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Like others I returned to the Royal Towers disappointed to see that time and success had spoiled the place. Rooms were not clean, toliets and showers over flowed and backed up, the casino has no air filtration so smoke is horrible, and an uncaring management does not answer complaints. It was our fourth trip and we won"t go back to what was once a great place.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has everything to entretain everyone. Doesn't metter if you prefer lay down on the sun, or stay in the water the hole day, if you like to gambling or love to go in a good restaurants. I stayed here 11 days and never repeat a restaurant. All of them are very good. The waterpark is fantastic and the design is unique. You can walkthrough some parts of the hotel like if you were looking at the city of Atlantis, it is amazing!!!!
And swim with Dolphings and Sea Lion is s show apart. What a experience!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
New Paltz, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Although this place is magical, they suck every penny out of you while your there. For food, drinks, activities, and shopping, expect to pay at least twice the amount you would normally. We left with a real sense of being ripped off which is never enjoyable when your on vacation. When we arrived our room wasn't ready so we grabbed a burger. The burger was $17 and was barely edible. The mini bar is out of the question unless your alright with spending $6 on a can of coke. In the evening we went to marinas pizza, b/c it looked busy, and possibly tasty. Coming from NY I don't expect much from pizza outside of NY, but this stuff was just a tragedy, a $32 pizza that made frozen pizza look like a fine delicacy.

Having said all that, the place is really something else just to walk around and explore. The water park was a lot of fun and we didn't have a hard time finding loungers. Our room was in the royal tower which was right next to all the action. We could barely fit on our "balcony" but really didnt spend much time in the room anyway. If you get a room in the beach tower be prepared to be walk for most of your vacation.

If your traveling here on a budget here is my advice...buy lots of liquor, food, and water before you get there so you don't get completely robbed over really subpar food. Also be prepared to pay $40 a day in resort fees.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Atlantis - Royal Towers? Share your experiences!