“Harborside Atlantis Family of 4 Trip Report” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Amazing Savings!
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Wisconsin
“Harborside Atlantis Family of 4 Trip Report”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

Hubby, I and our 9 & 12 yr old sons returned Saturday from our 1 week stay in a 1-bdrm condo at Harborside in Atlantis. First time to the Bahamas - loved it, highly recommend it. Love to travel and always research our trips in great detail using Frommer’s, Tripadvisor., etc to prepare. Figured I’d send in my two cents worth that may help someone else with their future trip.

Decided to go after finding a Ebay deal for renting a condo from a Harborside timeshare owner - $1500/wk compared to $3200. Reading that it can be incredibly expensive made me think ahead on ways to reduce potential costs. Love to travel and not afraid to spend money for a good time, but won’t throw it away. Frugal, but not cheap. Taking a Frommer writer’s suggestion to heart, and knowing going “carry-on only” is hardly an option now (with liquids) we decided to pack light, carry-on clothing bags, but check bags with foodstuffs, liquids, etc.

So, packed a rolling duffel bag and a soft-side rolling cooler for liquids and foodstuffs. The rolling cooler was very helpful for taking snacks and drinks to the pools. Here was my grocery list:

Liqour: Bacardi Limon, Whiskey, Gin & Vodka
1 ea lemon & lime
3 avocados
1 garlic bulb
1 onion (these first items to make guacamole!)
Bunch of bananas–don’t bother–they were junk by the time we got there.
2 Boboli pizza crusts
Squeeze bottle Pizza Sauce
1 pkg of tortillas
2 sticks of butter
1 small margarine container
2 cans of Campbell’s Chunky soup
1 bag of Chex snack mix
Pkg of Dole Fruit/Gel cups
2 lbs of cooked Shrimp (froze)
Cocktail sauce
Made and froze 2 lbs of Sloppy Joes
Ham cold cuts
Turkey cold cuts
Summer sausage stick (froze)
Sausage snack links (froze
Pkg of Johnsonville Polish sausage (froze)
Pkg of Johnsonville Spicy sausage (froze)
1 pkgs of cooked chicken strips (froze)
Cheddar cheese block (froze)
Colby-Jack cheese block (froze)
Cream cheese (froze)
Gogurt
3 quart ziplock bags of cereal
1 pkg each of Crystal Light Lemonade and Ice Tea
All Small & Mighty laundry detergent

There! Sounds like a lot doesn’t it? Figured we 'd mix cocktails, eat breakfast, lunch and at least ½ the dinners at the condo. Knowing that a dinner out could easily cost $200 a crack made this a easy choice.

Anyway, I froze the items the night before, packed those items along with refrigerated items in the cooler just before leaving the house at 6:30am for O’Hare. Arriving at the resort 12.5 hours later, most of the items were still frozen!

Unfortunately, the duffel bag with the liquids and other dry goods disappeared somewhere between Chicago and Nassau. I suspect, because at least 12 other people from our Miami-Nassua flight were in the lost-luggage line with me, that our duffel was left behind in Miami for lack of room on the smaller plane. I was told that the bag would likely be delivered to us yet that night, but it didn’t arrive until 4pm the following day. Thank goodness it wasn’t the frozen cooler bag!

Good thing we prepared for that event by carrying on our clothing and valuables. When the bag finally arrived it was a mess! It had obviously been rifled through, compartments opened, the Bacardi and whiskey GONE! At least they left the gin and vodka! The buns, bread and bagels were smashed (not that surprising) but all their bags had holes in them and what looked like bites (???) taken out of them. Not from a human, but from an animal!? Dog? Rat? The exterior of the duffel bag looked ok, although one of the wheels had broken. Where had this bag been? We saw many bags laying unattended in the Nassau baggage carousel area – likely waiting to be delivered to their “lost” owners. No security appeared to be evident – I wondered if theirs (and ours) were just left there overnight? We salvaged what we could and tossed what looked scary. No reason to put a damper on the start of a vacation. But I certainly recommend NOT putting ANYTHING of value in a checked bag.

The condo - rm 2713 in building #7- was decorated nicely and well maintained. Nice king bed – even the kid’s fold-out couch was surprisingly comfy. The condo looked out over the marina where yachts are moored. It was fun to watch the huge boats dock and leave. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the microwave was also a convection oven – not huge but big enough to make a pizza or quesadilla. VCR, darn–I brought a couple DVDs. Maid came once (Tuesday) during the stay but it was easy to keep clean – since not a whole lot of time is spent in the room anyway.

After relaxing all day Sunday, I took the hotel grocery shuttle ($7) to the market Monday morning for juice, milk, water, Tostitos (for the guacamole), beer, coffee and mozzarella (forgot to pack the last 2), bread and buns to replace the smashed stuff. There were so many shoppers that the bus made 2 trips. I took along my rolling cooler to remind me that anything I bought I had to be able to carry back by myself. The ride home was jam packed with shoppers and their many, many bags. Kinda fun. But even groceries sure aren’t cheap – how about $5 for ½ gal of milk?

We had lunch at the Mayan Temple pool – $30 for 2 grouper fingers, 1 cheeseburger and 1 hamburger plus 3 fries and 1 drink – not bad I thought. Gotta have a Bahama Mama cocktail of course–ya mon. Dinner for 3 at Biminis the first night was $100 (the 9 yr old too tired to eat). Food good, rrrrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy slow. service Dinner at the italian restaurant Zio Gigi’s was $132 – the Osso Bucco with saffron rice was delicious. 2 dinners at Johnny Rockets ran $50 (for 2) and $80 (for 4). The cheeseburgers were so good we went back the next night with the kids.

Enough about the food. Shuttles run from the Harborside to the Beach, Coral and Royal Towers at Atlantis pretty much non-stop–very short wait at Harborside, but you may find yourself cooling your heels a bit waiting at the Towers for the return trip. Drivers were all friendly–as were all the staff we met at Atlantis. Yes, it is a slower pace – but vacation should be! Sometimes it takes a day or two to unwind to that level.

Atlantis itself is incredible! So many features and detailing, the aquariums, the marine life, the architecture. The Dig really is beautiful. The Mayan Temple pools and slides are great fun. The pools seemed to get busier as the week progressed and it was a bit annoying to see poolside chaises claimed with towels by 10am, with the “owner” finally appearing after lunch. Seems like poor taste to me, but since October is low season there was always a group of chaises to be found. I can only imagine what it’s like in high season. The Harborside pool is smaller but nice, and just a 2 minute walk from our building (#7). Kids kept busy with the pools, slides, ping-pong and shuffle board. The slides were great – try them all!

Ventured into Nassau on Thursday to do some shopping. Taxied there ($4/person) and returned by ferry ($4/person). Shopping in Nassua was mediocre–the typical tourist items. But got to buy a t-shirt you know. Lunched at Senor Frogs-food was OK (not cheap $100), and the place looked like it could use a good cleaning. Kids and hubby HATED the Straw Market–too crowded, too much of the same cheap touristy stuff, non-stop calls to buy. Might be fun for a girls trip. Ferry was fun, packed with friendly people in a boat that looked pretty ancient (I located the lifevests for the kids, just in case.) Just a 5-minute walk from the ferry to Harborside

There is a daily sheet of daily schedule of activities at Atlantis – games and contests at the pools, feeding the marine life, free movies in the theatre, bingo, etc. The kids enjoyed the Club Reef with the free internet and Nintendo, etc. games. 4-7pm for preteens for just $15. There’s even a library for checking out books.

Would love to go back–the only thing I’d improve is finding a direct flight from Milwaukee!

• Liked — The pools, beach, sun
  • Disliked — Lengthy travel time
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan ahead!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
new england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

Just returned from Harborside. We had stayed at Atlantis before when it opened and loved it. This time my husband and I (mid 50's), our son and wife (30) and other son (23) all went together. We had a 3 bedroom villa on the 3rd floor in building 5. This meant a 2room and 1room connected. Perfect. We chose the 1room so we could close connecting door at night so when the rest came in in the early hours we weren't disturbed! We had brought basic food with us and went on the grocery trip to buy milk, butter,bread and coldcuts. A trip to buy beer (we brought our own spirits with us) and we were set. We had breakfast in the villa and sandwiches and snacks on demand. Take coffee packs. We had room cleaning every day as we were renting. Check in was smooth. All the staff were wonderful. I never encountered anyone who was rude or surly. The shuttles to Atlantis were easy when we didn't want to walk. October must be a quiet time as there were chairs and space everywhere, no hordes of children. We ate at Atlantis and Harborside. Food was fine and not really expensive. Drinks were on a par and as you can walk around with them we often mixed our own and took them with us. We were asked only once about the time share viewing, which I would have been happy to do but our powerboat adventure was switched so couldn't go. The days were wonderful, as busy or quiet as we wanted. The evenings were great, we went to the casino, the comedy club, the restaurants. The weather was perfect. The highlight, the powerboat adventure to the exumas. Unbelievable fun for all of us. With our diverse ages and throwing the family mix in it could have been a challenge but it wasn't and we all are planning to travel again.
The only observance that could be negative,
the vendors on the beach for jet skis etc
the offers to buy weed.
Otherwise. Go, don't bring your work with you, enjoy, it is a great break.

• Liked — space
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — many
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montgomery Village, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

We have stayed here twice and I have loved it both times. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We politely declined to hear the sales pitch and there was no hard sell. The staff even helped me to surprise my husband with a birthday cake delivered to our villa while we were out at the pool. Shuttle service to/from Atlantis is fast and reliable. Plus catch the shuttle to the grocery store and make meals in your villa instead of eating out. Great family place and great for couples too. Spa at Atlantis is wonderful too! Marina Village has great shops and restraunts and a junkanoo band a few times a week. Only complaint...the gym is small and busy.

• Liked — has a kitchenette and living & dinning room
  • Disliked — room cleaned only once during a weekly stay
  • Tips/Secrets — take advantage of the free activities provided for Harborside at the Atlantis - if staying at Harborside and want to save some money, don't buy the meal plan...go to the gorcery store and make some meals in your villa
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

After spending days and nights on this sight, my vacation has come and gone. I spent my time at the Harborside from Aug 26-Sept 2 and Sept 2-Sept 3 at the Coral Towers. Thank you to everyone for your reviews and advice on the forums. I felt well-prepared for what to expect; yet,Atlantis exceeded my expectations! Here it is as best as I can break it down:

Room: Harborside was so wonderful. I spent many hours trying to decide if I wanted to be at Harborside where I would have to take a shuttle as opposed to being right in Atlantis. Well, I can say without hesitation that I have no regrets. Before our trip, my husband did not like the idea of having to take a shuttle. Within the first few days of our trip he was joking with the drivers and having a ball on the shuttles. We never waited longer than 5 min for a shuttle and the ride is 2-3 min. Additionally, we began to walk to the Towers after discovering what a nice relaxing walk it is. We would walk through the Marina and enjoyed every minute. It was a 10 min walk. We even walked with the kids (7, 6 yr old and 20mth old).
We stayed in a corner villa in Bldg 7. I specifically requested Bldg 1 or 7 and a corner room. I requested a corner room, since we were in a 1 bedroom deluxe. I found out on this site that the corner deluxe rooms had balconies as the larger rooms do; and, I learned on this site that Bldg 1 and 7 are close to the shuttle and had good views. The room was great! We faced the Royal Towers and Marina and had a balcony with a table and chairs that we enjoyed everyday. Also, we were right near the shuttle.
The room was well-equipped and we utilized the washer and dryer everyday. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Harborside with the family again.

Pools and Beach:
From some of the reviews, I was nervous about getting chairs and crowds. I was wrong to worry. Yes, there were many people there and Atlantis was huge. But, that's just it: Atlantis is huge. It is so huge that there are many places to go. We never felt crowded and we never had to hunt for chairs. We tried a different spot almost everyday and we never had a problem. We enjoyed the live bands at various pools and then we would go to the beach, then back to the pools. My kids favored the pools, but I loved the beach. There were signs warning about it being jellyfish season, but I never had a problem. There was only one day towards the end of the day that I spotted a jellyfish and I saw a family watching and dodging jellyfish. Needless to say I exited the beach soon after. We rented a paddle boat one day and my younger daughter did the snorkel class.

Food: The expense of food is everyone's complaint. I will say, my husband did not do any research, so was shocked at the prices. I knew what to expect, so I tried to plan as best as I could to cut the expense down. I brought a cooler and bag of food on the plane. So, we never really bought breakfast and lunch. My plan was to splurge for dinner. Just know that it is expensive, but it's vacation so you should expect it. This is where having the kitchen in Harborside helped cut down the expense. Also, we ordered Dominoes on 2 nights. It was good and cheap. Loved Bimini Road. My husband and I got a kick out of the staff singing happy birthday to customers at different restaurants at Atlantis. They went all out with drums and dancing at Bimini Road. Every place had a different unique style.

The Dolphin Encounter is a must! It was amazing and Blue Lagoon was a beautiful island.

Another tip: Yes, it's true that Atlantis is not stroller friendly, so we used an umbrella stroller. Also, we met a couple the tipped us off on avoiding stairs to the Marina from the Towers: there's a tunnel right next to the Kid's Club that leads to the Marina from the Coral Towers--no stairs.

My kids could not get enough of the kid's club. The counselors were wonderful. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They always went out of their way to say hello to us. They were always friendly with my children.

Definitely recommend for families. My husband said he enjoyed also, but would like to figure out how to utilize Harborside better to cut food expense. He felt that we didn't save as much as we could have and that if we weren't going to utilize the kitchen more then he didn't mind the room at the Coral Towers. The Coral Towers was the most central Tower and the adjoining rooms we had were spacious and clean. Downside is no coffee maker and only a snack bar refrigerator. You can rent a refrigerator.

My kids are already asking when we're going back. It was a great experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

We have just returned from a week at the Harborside Sep 2-9 . The resort is very comfortable. We stayed in 1 bdrm deluxe unit. It was very spacious with all amenities to cook a meal (not for gourmet cooks). Great service. There are plenty of restaurants on Atlantis property but if you don't mind cooking - you can save some money. It cost us $150 for week to buy groceries for 3 adults vs $1000 eating out. Harborside provides a bus to do grocery shopping on weekend - it cost only $7 per person and takes 1.5 hrs. Also highly recomend to go across the bridge and get some local food from vendors - it is so fresh and tasty. The pool is lovely, hot tab is big and always working - none of the hot tabs worked at Atlantis. There is no need to rent a car. If you decide to stay on Paradise island, free shuttles are running from 6am till 2am every 10 min. Gas price is $4.75 per gallon. Taxi ride from the airport for 3 people was $35.
Beach is one of the best! Water is azure and very very clear. Swim with dolphins at Blue Lagoon Island. It was a very relaxing trip. My cell phone provider (Verizon) didn't offer any service on Bahamas - so we used pay phone. Check with your provider and you might leave your cell phone at home. Locals are very friendly . We''d like to come back again.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

Just back from the Harbourside Resort at The Atlantis, it was a wonderful holiday. I hope I will give you an honest view of good and bad parts of the holiday and things to keep in mind when booking any excursions. First of all The Harbourside itself I couldnt fault, it was beautiful, we booked this after reading many reviews on here and decided to stay here rather than the Atlantis itself, a good move I think, the pool was quieter, always plenty of beach chairs, less queues at the poolside bars and towel huts. We booked a Premier villa and the room was huge. For those of you wanting to make use of the kitchen, they provide washing up cloths and washing up liquid, but not tea towels, so you may want to take one of these although there is a dishwasher, with the dishwasher powder provided daily. There is a washer dryer, but you will need to bring your own soap powder, as this is not provided. Shampoo/conditioner/soap provided daily as are toilet rolls. Beach towels are provided daily too from the beach huts, you queue up to get your wristband and towel at the same time, some days they did run out of towels around 2-3pm in the afternoon, so we held onto ours and hung them out on the balcony to dry off on one of the days. The staff could not have been more helpful and also very happy and friendly. Tracy on reception was lovely. You will get approached to take the time share tour, but its entirely up to you if you do, we decided not to as we would rather spend the 2 hours enjoying our holiday.
The whole of the resort is expensive, you will see this from other reviews, so dont come here if you dont want to splash out would be my advice. They add 15% service onto everything, even a coke from the poolside bar has 15% service charge added on, which seems a bit unfair to me, but thats how it all is at The Atlantis. We ate at The Point, very reasonable and nice views, apart from this we wanted to get into Nassau and experience some restaurants off Paradise Island, we ate at The Poop Deck, lovely views, food I would say was average to good, one of our best finds was a small newly opened restaurant opposite the Poop Deck, which I cant remember the name of now, but its in and old Bahamian House, the food here was lovely and the lady owner was so lovely, you cant miss it if you stand with you back to The Poop Deck, its just across the road.
One place you must go to is The Fish Fry in Arawak Cay, its fantastic, reasonable prices, really good food and nice to see the local people eating there, we had read not to go here at night, but we were there around 7ish and there were lots of tourists and we had no problems whatsoever, its a must to see a bit of Bahamian life, always taxi's around also to take you back to the hotel.
As for trips we did the Dolphin Encounter... really good, if you have kids they will love it, so I would recommend this.
We did the bubble bike tour with Stuarts Cove, this was a bad experience for me as I suffer from a little sea sickness, it took 1 hour in the mini bus to get to the Set off point then approx 40 mins on the boat out to the spot where the bikes go into the water, only to be told that we would be split into two groups as there arent enough bikes for the whole boat. They said we could snorkel, but the weather was so bad, I was actually sick in the water, I got back onto the boat and was ill for the next 2 hours, as were about 5 other people, some of whom had been sick in the bubble helmets, I wouldnt adivse this trip if you suffer from sea sickness and they dont mention this at all at the briefing, having said that, the people with stronger stomach than me did enjoy the experience. When returning to the Dive office we then had to wait another 45 mins for a mini bus, then had another hours journey back to The Harbourside, we started off at 8am and got back at 3pm, for what is only a 45 mins bubble bike experience, something to think about.
My husband did a "shark dive" with Bahama Divers the next day, but they had problems with the boat and so couldnt do the shark dive, my husband also was really ill later in the day and the doctor diagnosed a mild dose of the bends, again if you dive make sure you have enough time in between the first and 2nd dive, it seems due to the problems with the boat that the times in between the two dives was too short..only around 20 mins.
Do go to The Straw Market, its and experience, lots of straw obviously, and "designer" handbags and purses, loads of jewellery stores on Bay Street and hair braiding near the Ferry Terminal.
The taxi drivers are so friendly, one of our best experiences was in Taxi 84... the taxi driver (Gentry McPhee)..sang to us all the way back to the hotel and gave us a little guided tour of the route back all included in the price! What a star!
All in all I loved the Bahamas and Nassau, if I went back I think I would stay at The Harbourside if I wanted luxury and all the facilities of The Atlantis on hand, however I much preferred Nassau to Paradise Island, so would probably stay somewhere a bit more reasonable next time and pay to visit The Atlantis for the day.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Tips/Secrets — Get into Nassau, dont just stay at The Atlantis
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

Our family of 6 (2 adults, 17 yr. old, 17 yr. old, 15 yr. old, 12 yr. old) stayed in a 2 bedroom lockoff on the first floor in building 2 from August 11-18. We enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning since we own a timeshare at Harborside.

Service - We didn't have a problem with service at all. From the taxi drivers to the door man to the staff at the poolside restaurants, everyone was friendly. Our two 17 year olds were all over at Atlantis and would be greeted by the doorman everytime they entered the Royal Towers. We were also asked how our stay was while we were waiting for food. We never encountered anyone who was unfriendly.

Spa - The spa was heavenly and pretty expensive. A 50 minute deep tissue massage was $138 including tax. My daughter enjoyed a massage and with the spa treatment came a complementary day pass to the fitness center. She loved her massage!

Tennis - Our family played tennis almost everyday. We would attend the daily stroke clinics and there were very few other people who were playing tennis! It was almost like a private lesson!

Shuttles - There are complimentary shuttles that run from Harborside to the royal towers, coral towers, beach towers, and the ocean club. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a shuttle and if we didn't see a shuttle, we would ask transportation staff who would tell us when the shuttle was coming.

Pool Chairs/Lounges - The pools at Atlantis open at 8 am and the water slides open at 9 am. We never had a problem finding chairs at the beach or the pool. We would head to the pools around 9:30 every morning and we would be able to find chairs. After 12, it seemed like most of the chairs were reserved.

Towel Hut/Wristbands - Go to the towel hut at Harborside and get your towels and wristbands before heading to Atlantis. It's just easier than waiting an extra few minutes at Atlantis towel hut.

Rooms - We had a spacious 2 bedroom lockoff. The unit was clean and nothing was missing. The unit was cleaned on Monday which was mid-week and if we needed extra towels to shower we ran to the towel hut before it closed.

Restaurants - We ate at Carmine's twice and the food was absolutely delicious! Huge portions so be careful you don't order too much! We ate at Johnny's Rockets which was mediocre food and we ate at Atlas Bar and Grill which had pretty good American food. Poolside we mostly ate at Dive In which is located next to the sun pool near the Royal Towers.

Beaches/Pools - The ocean is absolutely gorgeous! The beach gets very crowded mid-morning/afternoon so if you are looking for a quieter area, walk down the beach towards the Riu and the One & Only Ocean Club which becomes empty as you walk farther away from Atlantis. The children loved the waterslides (who wouldn't) and although the lines were long in the afternoon, they seemed to move quickly.

Prices - Many items are expensive at Atlantis. Bring your own medicines/sunscreens as sunscreen will cost at least $14. It's a vacation destination and there are people willing the spend alot. Atlantis is not cheap so don't go there on a budget.

We loved Atlantis and think it's a great value!

• Tips/Secrets — bring your own sunscreen and lots of cash!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!