“Had a fabulous time at the Harborside Resort at Atlantis” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Amazing Savings!
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Pittsburgh Pa
“Had a fabulous time at the Harborside Resort at Atlantis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2006

We stayed at the harborside Resort April 30-May 6 2006. I read all the reviews before going and I will say they were all extrememly helpful in making our trip a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. We stayed in a 1 bedroom premium villa which was enough room for my husband, myself and our 2 kids ages 14 & 20. I packed 1 suitcase full of nonperishable food and then a cooler(I carried on the plan) with frozen lunchmeat, frozen cheese, frozen stick of margarine, frozen bread. It all made it fine. We packed a duffle bag with soda and bottled water which lasted almost the whole trip. I went to the store at the Hurricane Hole(walking distance) and bought milk( only carry 2% & whole) and juice for the morning. We ate all our breakfasts at the condo and packed lunches in the cooler and took it with us to the pool areas. It might've just been our condo but there was no spatula for turning over the pancakes. I had to improvise and believe it or not it worked. Taking the cooler with us was not cumbersome at all. It was great having it because we didn't feel so bad paying $8.75 + 15% gratuity for our drinks by the pool. Also, Shark Bites is great for lunches if you don't bring your own. The prices weren't too bad. In fact, my son got 2 orders of French Fries with his Turkey sandwhich(we brought) and it was $4.97 + 15% gratuity. The best pool is the Royal Tower pool by the waterslides. We had no problem getting chairs with covers. I don't think it was too crowded the week we went. For dinner 1 night we ate at Carmines and it was really good. Excellent service. We added on 5% to the bill. It's family style so for 4 of us we ordered Chicken parm. which was excellent and then Pasta Vodka which was very good. We took the leftovers home and ate them the next day for dinner since we went on the Powerboat Adventure and were exhausted afterwards. If you go on it try to sit in the back the ride isn't as bumpy. It's expensive ( 4 adults $684) but it's worth it. You get a 10% discount if you do it online before you leave on your trip. We ate dinner at Biminni Rest. which was good but service not so great. The musicians they had on 2 of the nights we were there were great. You can sit outside and listen to them. We ate at Anthony's 2xs.1 of our dinner bills was $138.58 with gratuity added in. I really liked my meal the first time but the second it was just so-so. One night we ate at the Green Parrot(walking distance from harborside). The food was good you can check out the menu on line as I did. Reasonably priced. Very relaxed atmosphere. I took my daughter 1 day into Nassau and we ate lunch at the Iguana Cafe. Excellent Blackened Grouper. The Ferry is walking distance from harborside but they are on Bahamian time definitely. They try to get as many customers as they can on the boat so we sat and waited a 1/2hr longer on our way back. 1cruise couple got off and actually got their money back(very unusual) because they didn't think they would make it back to their ship on time. I read about charges to the room sometimes not being right so instead of hasseling with receipts and checking charges every night we paid cash for most of our dinners. We charged our drinks to the room since it wasn't alot. We brought travelers checks and some bills and we had no problems. The safe in the rooms are secure!!! DON'T FORGET TO CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO TELL THEM WHEN YOU'RE LEAVING AND WHERE!!! We did charge a DVD of our Powerboat adventure and it was denied. The credit card co. said they do that to protect from fradulent charges when they see out of the country charges. All in all our trip was wonderful!!! We did the Banana Boat our last day since the red flag was finally down. It cost $12 a person and it was a short ride. We had better bananboat rides in Jamaica. All in all our trip was wonderful and we all had a great time. Maybe in a few years we'll go back again to see the new WaterPark at Atlantis that should be ready sometime in 2007.

Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

We (4 adults and 9 month old infant) stayed at Harborside from May 3 -6th. We had 2 deluxe villas in the newer phase of Harborside. The flight in was great and we got through the airport security very quickly. We grabbed a cab to the resort which took about 35 minutes. The charge was $34 for all of us plus a $1 toll charge. The room was large and very clean with very new ammenities. This was the first trip with my 9 month old son and i was worried about the accomodations. I requested for a crib and it came immediately. The resort is a short shuttle bus ride to Atlantis and the shuttle buses do come very often. We did bring our light umbrella stroller but didnt use it but one day at Atlantis. There are elevators but you have to walk out of the way to get to them so we decided to use a bjorn the next day. We did use the stroller in the Marina Village area when we went to Carmines for dinner. We ordered a seafood marinara for $55 and it fed all 4 of us and we had leftovers for lunch the next day. We went to the "Fish Fry", an area of restaurants where the locals say the best seafood is in Nassau. You have to catch a cab out there bc it is too far to walk there. We ate there the 2nd night and had lobster, it was good. Not the best lobster i have had. The 3rd night we ate at Anthony's and it was ok as well. I don't know if we just ordered all the wrong menu items or we were just not that hungry to begin with. The pools were never busy at Harborside and there were pleny of chairs. The beach at Atlantis is very beautiful and there were plenty of chairs there as well but again we went later in the day. The Harborside was a great property to stay at with a young infant. All in all, we had a great trip.

Stayed May 2006
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

Last year we stayed at the Imperial Club in Royal Towers and had a wonderful stay. During that trip, we purchased a 2 BR villa at Harborside and stayed there for the first time 4/29 - 5/6. I must say we really had a great time.

Harborside is a great escape from the "busyness" of Atlantis. You have access to all the Atlantis pools, restaurants and shops but when you want some quiet time, Harborside fits the bill. Our villa was spacious enough for the 4 of us, and quiet. The Harborside pool was never crowded and we were able to enjoy dinner at the Great Hall, Fathoms, Carmine's, Bahamian Club, Seafire Steakhouse and Dune after opting to prepare our own breakfast and lunch most days (except for visits to Arawak Cay/Twin Brothers and Sharkbites).

I really think this resort is great for families. I am glad we decided to purchase at Harborside.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

My family just got back from a wonderful 3 1/2 day trip to Atlantis. My wife and I and our two young kids shared a two bedroom premium villa with my brother, his wife and young son, and we had plenty of room (given we weren't in the room very much). The villa itself was very clean and nice. No complaints at all. The kitchen was well-stocked with any/all utensils needed. Also, the cleaning service was terrific - anything left in the kitchen was cleaned. The pool at the Harborside was very nice and quiet, and we spent our 1/2 day there. The other 3 days we spent at the Atlantis, all at different areas of the resort. To put it simply, this place is kid heaven. There are so many things to do and see, with so many kiddie pools and activities geared toward children. Our kids, raning from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 loved all of the pools, slides and acquariums. One day my daughter got selected to be an Aqua Tot and got to feed sting rays and other small fish. It wasn't scary at all, and she still says it was the best part of her trip. Check with the Discovery Kids Camp about signing up your child - they will love it. Staying at the Harborside did mean that we did not go back and forth to our room during the day, but that was not really a problem. We almost never waited for the shuttle buses, which was nice. The only possible downside is that I found the food to be only so-so to good, and it's quite expensive. Having been going to the Bahamas since I was a child, this was not a surprise for me, so I was not disappointed. Since we had a kitchen, we chose to have breakfast at our villa each morning, which was great and much cheaper. We picked up eggs, cheese, bacon and pancake mix at the Sundry Store at Harborside and had pretty lavish breakfasts for less than $20 for all 7 of us. Much less costly than going out. Other than that, our lunch at Shark Bites was probably the best, along with a lunch at The Point. Also, our best dinner was at Bimini Road in the Marina Village, which was a lot of fun to be at for dinner, with the music and dancing. The kids loved it. Above all else, the best thing about the Atlantis was the UNBELIEVABLY ATTENTIVE service. Without exaggeration, from our cleaning woman, to the shuttle bus drivers, to the waitresses and pool attendants - literally ever person working there was so friendly and attentive. It was almost shocking how wonderful and friendly the staff was to our entire family. It really made the vacation feel relaxing. Our family is very much looking forward to going back. If you can take advantage of the kitchen and extra space, then I would recommend the Harborside. If the concept of a shuttle bus ride and being away from your room is too daunting, then I'd recommend staying on the hotel's main property. And, if you are prepared for over-priced food and drinks, then everything else about the Atlantis truly is wonderful

Redondo Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

We are Starwood Maui timeshare owners. We live in Los Angeles area. My wife and I went with another couple from Portland OR. We stayed in a 2 bedroom lockoff. We all were very impressed with the wonderful service we received throughout the week at Harborside and Atlantis. The staff was ultra courteous and responded to our every question and concern. The concierges were very helpful with planning snorkeling trip and dining plans. It was the best of both worlds-Atlantis, which is awesome from the beach to the pools to the slides to the lazy river to the aquariums-and Harborside pool at the end of the day, for a more quiet scene with ample lounges and space. The yachts in the marina were really "over the top!" Took half day trip to Rose Island for snorkelling--that was outstanding! Taihiti, Hawaii, have nothing on the Bahamas for snorkelling.
The climate is the best in April-we just missed the Easter vacation crowd too. We liked Murray's Deli, the Cave by the beach pool, Anthony's, and especially Carmines in the Marina Village. There are only 2 complaints: 1. We gained 4 pounds each and 2. we had to come home. We will be going back as soon as we can-and we'll bring our whole family if we can.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

Just returned April 24th 5-night stay. Never wanted to come home!!!! Brought 3 "kids" 15-19-23 as we actually went for a wedding (which was awesome-they really know how to do a very tasteful & elegant but FUN wedding) Many of our friends went also so I'm sure that added to our fun factor. We are not frequent travelors or big spendors, but have stayed at other nice hotels so can certainly make comparisons. VERY CAREFULLY READ THESE REVIEWS BEFORE WE WENT TO SEE WHAT WAS IN STORE FOR US. Hope this is helpful to U. We picked Harborside because we needed X-tra room with 5 of us. 1 bedroom deluxe had pull out sofa for 2 & we got a roll-away for son. Husband & I got great King bed in master-one of most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. 6 person dining room table & 2 counter height chairs @ bar in kitchen. We had taxi driver stop @ super-market on way from airport & also packed a duffle full of snacks & cereal -also stopped @ liquor store!!! YES-prices are high. Loved large bathroom area with jaccuzi tub -large vanity & mirror-then separate sink area -separate shower & toilet. Allowed several people to get ready @ same time, Air vent? in ig. bath very noisy-no door from master bed
to shut (wish there was) but it got to be like ambient noise. Generally very quiet-no corridor noise-just rarely somebody in street coming home late. We did't have Marina view but it was fine-we weren't in room only to sleep!! We were in Bldg #1 They lost water for

repairs the day of wedding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bride/family in same bldg.-they own time-share (love it) but staff gave us rooms in another unit to shower/shave, worked out fine after initial panic!!!!!!Ask for daily print out of room charges at front desk if U want to check for any
discrepancies. 19 yr. old loved charging stuff to room Staff generally nice & helpful-daily cleaning of unit very good. Youngest daughter ordered in pizza with friend one night-we wamed up leftovers in convection oven for lunch day we left. Ate at Point restaurant by pool for breakfast- great view & I thought price reasonable. No wait-never looked crowded-food & waiter EX.!!!! Speaking of taxi earlier- think we got ripped off-guy said prices all same -had price list in cab-charged for people & # of bags-our friends didn't pay as much!! Don't be so quick to jump in 1st one-get a few prices & decide!! Harborside pool never busy - never ran out of towels like larger pools-bring some with U from Harborside so U don't have a problem. My girlfreind stayed at Beach Tower so we would pack a bag & take the shuttle. Make sure U get on the direct one that only makes stops @ the tower U want!!! We got on the one that goes all the way out to golf course the night of cocktail party & were a little late. Husband played golf with guys-BEAUTFUL homes & views!!!Night of wedding we made sure we took shuttle that went directly to Royal Towers-no other stops. 2 15-yr.olds (daughter & freind) rode shuttle frquently-they had walkie-talkies to keep in touch with us .Went to Club Rush in Beach Towers several nights- $15 room charge but fun & safe for them-no one over 17 allowed-closed @ 12mid. FREE movies-good ones-at movie theater at Beach Towers . Liked Casino Nobody lost big-a few even won a little-sure it willgo towards paying the bill! Put your room key in the slot machine to earn points towards prizes-beautiful beach towel-nobody explained that till our last day!!!! The Dig is WONDERFUL!!!!! Marine life & plantings/fountains/pools beautiful. Ate at Carmines-food excellent!!! Got 4 entrees & 2 salads-more than enough food for 9 of us . Had alcohol also- 2 families split bill $120 our share for 5 of us I thought not bad. 15% tip added to EVERYTHING!!! even bottled water ordered at pool or on beach drinks. Nice having service on the beach!! Water at beach beautiful!!! Wewere able to swim every day we went-no rough surf. Bunch of us did Banana Boat ride -HILARIOUS!!!! Guy said he gave us X-tra long ride near golf course & celebrity homes-think everybody gets same, but it was FUN!!! Be careful of warter sports as mentioned-- we did let son do jet ski but we told him to watch for swimmers & other water traffic-locals just want your money-U can barter price for anything!! We did & at least felt like we were getting a bargain-it was at least lower than the initial!! !Locals sell jewelry, drinks, beach cover-ups & all the water sports walking along the beach. Ate at Seafire in Marina Village -Food OUT-OF-THIS WORLD GOOD-- waiter BAD!!!!! Also noisy in there adults went night after wedding- wanted to talk but it was hard. Loved Marina Village!!!!! Would walk there along Marina several times a day-early in AM to get Starbucks coffee & look for new yaughts moored in the Marina Loved walking home in eve or at night looking into the ships-- what a life!!!!!! 1 posting said Bimini Road awful-several of our young adults ate ther & liked it. My girlfreinds family ate at Anthony's in plaza across street from Coral Towers-very good. Short walk-really- we bought souveniers over there morning we left. Did not get into Nassau-TOO much to do-happy where we were-if I had more time probably would have.Food at Murray's Deli in Marina Village very good-ate a breakfast & dinner there, they have tables outside for people watching-beautiful @ night- & have deli sandwiches to go!!! Kids got burgers at outside food place at Beach Towers-they said very good.
Well- U can tell we had a great family vacation-good where we stayed not having to deal with congestion at Towers We didn't have a lot of trouble getting chairs at beach-big pools are bad unless later in afternoon. We are fair skinned so we got color even after 3pm--pools open til 7pm at Harborside-hot tub just right temoerature!!! Water slides AWESOME-& not that long of a wait- loved the Lazy River- lifeguards were plentiful & seemed attentive. Hope this helps a little & gets U ready for trip- if I had money I"d consider buying-we did not do tour for money/breakfast. They left messages-but we were too busy. It was Paradise for us!!

Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

We were guests on a relative's boat in the Atlantis marina April 12 -- 18. It was our first visit to Atlantis and we were very pleased. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. Having read that employees were lackluster, I was pleasantly surprised to find them very friendly, talkative and helpful.

This was a very busy time at the resort and it was quite hectic over in the Royal Towers area. As others have mentioned, most lounge chairs are saved in the early morning hours. I assume this isn't as much of an issue during slower times. They ran out of beach towels 3 or 4 times during our stay, which was a minor annoyance, as they would be gone for hours. They would only have one staffer doing bracelets and towels so this caused long lines ... seems like one more staffer would have alleviated this problem a lot. The lazy river was a big hit with our kids (ages 10, 7 and 3). I found the lifeguards to all be attentive, which is a major positive when you are trying to keep your eyes on three kids!

We would spend one day over in the Royal Towers area (waterslides/beach) and then the next day in the slower paced Harborside pool area. You never have to search for a chair at Harborside and the big pool was lots of fun for our family.

I can see why some people are concerned about watersports safety. When we were at the beach, one jet ski renter (woman and her child riding) were driving through the roped off Atlantis swimming area. The Atlantis lifeguard was going nuts, blowing his whistle and waving his arms, but she never saw him. If anyone had been swimming farther out, it could have been a tragedy. It doesn't appear like the renters are always given clear instruction on where they can go. The jet ski rentals have no affiliation with Atlantis.

Because we ate on the boat most of the time, I don't have a lot of comments on food. We ate at The Point at Harborside twice for dinner and had nice dinners. Nothing amazing, but it was perfect for our family. No reservations needed and prices were reasonable. They had a few selections that included the salad or soup, entree and dessert (cheesecake or a big bowl of Haggan Daz ice cream) for $21. I thought that was great! Staff very friendly and attentive. Our waiter from the first night came over to talk with us on our second visit, even though we weren't in his section and it was a number of nights later. Impressive that he remembered us!

For Easter dinner, we had made previous reservations at Columbus Tavern, a restaurant on Paradise Island, about five minutes taxi drive away. We had an amazing meal! Everyone (4 adults and 3 kids) was very pleased with our meals. Grouper was delicious and don't miss getting the Flaming Coffee! A highlight of our whole trip!!

We did the Dolphin Encounter and the kids loved it. We weren't able to book the full swim, but when we got there, they offered 7 upgrades. So don't lose hope if you weren't able to get the full swim. Ask if upgrades are available when you arrive. We didn't do it, as our youngest child is too young. I would recommend this experience.

We took a taxi over to the Straw Market for our girls to get hair braiding. They wanted $130+ a head at Atlantis! I knew this was too much so we headed overtown for some souvenir shopping and braiding. Our 7 year old with long hair got her whole head done for $45 and our three year old got her long hair done for $35. Definitely worth the taxi ride!!

I know a lot of people complain about the prices and I'm sure I would have a different opinion of Atlantis if we had had to eat out three meals a day. I would love to go back, but only if we were in the marina again or in a Harborside condo. Be sure to pack lots of snacks for the kids and that will save you a little $.
!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!