“vacation stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Sea Girt, New Jersey
“vacation stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were a family of 10 . Rented a 2 bedroom & 1bedroom that was connected . Nice to have 2 living spaces & 2 kitchens . Family could go back & forth . We had food delivered from a service that was not much higher in price than if we had shopped at the market . The furniture is somewhat dated ,but serviceable . It was good to get away from the sometimes frenetic pace of the park & come back to a lovely pool , restaurant , & bar . The marina was a short walk with many activities . Restaurant were pricey even by NYC standards , but we did eat out most nts . Took a cab to Fish Fry where there were many restaurants to choose from & far less expensive . Our cab driver [Chery's Taxi ] called ahead & made a res . for our party [including a guest in a wheelchair . All in all a very good experience . For a family condos are the way to go

Room Tip: Our 1st stay . Would make sure you could get a rollaway if needed . This was an issue at checkin , b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is an average water park but with the price tag you expect a lot more. The main beech was full of islanders buzzing around selling jet ski time and ramping the skis on the beech all the while fighting with each other. Stuff was expensive as I've ever seen. I cant imagine why anyone would make this a vacation destination and was glad we were there for just a day.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was my 4th trip to Harborside Resort. We went on July 18th and stayed for a long weekend stay. We stayed in a 2 BR Lockoff unit in Building 2 directly behind the pool area. I've stayed in about all corners of this resort and this was, by far, the best location we've stayed at. The rooms were very clean and somewhat updated (new appliances, etc.). We continue to love the pool area at Harborside. It's nice, quiet, reasonable activities, good mix of adults and kids, and access to the Point, the outdoor restaurant/bar right behind the pool.

The beauty of Harborside is the access to everything on Atlantis property. My son loved that and we spent more time on The Current in Aquaventure(sp) opposed to the pool at Harborside. It was crowded in Atlantis this past weekend, but overall, a lot of fun.

If you plan on eating at the restaurants in Atlantis, the prices are EXPENSIVE! Imagine over $120 for lunch and, well, I'm sure you get the idea. While the rooms at Harborside do have full kitchens, it's almost impossible to cook anything in the "oven" there because the convection oven is just about useless. It's take 1/2 hour just for it to warm up to 350 degrees! So, unless you plan on cooking meals on the stovetop, don't bother.

However, breakfast and lunch was much easier to pull together in the resort. If you want to save money on food costs while staying at Harborside, I highly recommend using www.foodstore2go.com. They will deliver your groceries directly to your room! Make sure to register as a New Member (Nassau) member. Once you register, you order what you want via the menu options on the left side of the screen. And they do have most things you would need for breakfast and lunches. When checking out on the website, you will have to specify what day/time you want your groceries delivered, so you can even order before you arrive to Harborside and it will be at your room shortly after you check in to the resort. The delivery fee is $9 and you have the option to tip more if you like, but I highly recommend it and it is more convenient than taking a taxi to the grocery store.

Another tip I will recommend is to find a good taxi driver. If you like him or her, get their business card. A good taxi driver will be professional, courteous, and knows everything you need to know about the island. We couldn't find our normal taxi driver, so we ended up with a shaky taxi driver who had to stop for gas while trying to take us to Harborside. Certainly not something I would expect getting a taxi ride. Anyway, I recommend E. Nixon Taxi & Tour Service. This gentleman knows everything about Nassau, places to go, places to eat, etc. He was spot on every time.

I plan on returning with more family members next June!

Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

One week stay with fees and taxes at Royal Towers (approx. $5200), renting a small one bedroom unit at Harborside (approx. $1600 to $2500 depending on your negotiation skills with the person leasing the unit). What more really need be said about the savings that doesn't speak for itself. Plus, you can buy food and eat in the room which saves a lot of money. If you don't already know, eating at the Atlantis restaurants, or even at the local restaurants, are expensive by U.S. standards. For a family of 4, you can expect to pay at least $100 at a decent local restaurant, excluding gratuity, unless you share plates, and $100 is cheap by most restaurants. Depending on where you eat on the Atlantis property, a family of four for dinner will cost about $300+ including gratuity. So having meals in your Harborside unit saves a lot of money.

About the unit, the master bedroom had a comfy king size bed with television and tiny balcony. The main room had an acceptable pull out sofa bed, television, small table with 4 chairs, and a kitchen consisting of large fridge, dishwasher, sink, tableware for four, stove top, and a microwave/convection oven combination. Location on the property was great, and they provide air conditioned shuttles to the various towers throughout the entire day. I don't think we ever waited any longer than 5 minutes for a shuttle.

Two reasons for 4 stars instead of 5. The Harborside doesn't provide grills to allow the guests to cook outdoors (this would have been really handy for chicken, steaks, and hamburgers), and the convection oven was woefully inadequate cook anything (after one hour of baking chicken in the convection over it was still 99% raw). We had to throw the chicken away and then eat on the property. This may seem like a petty issue, but when you buy chicken, steaks, hamburgers, and pizza BEFORE arriving the property in anticipation of eating in the unit, to only then discover that the frozen pizza won't fit in anything to cook, and the microwave/convection oven combination doesn't cook anything, then you end up having to cook everything in a pan on the stove top, so it's time consuming and smokes up the unit. The second reason is the sofa cushion were really dated and were literally ripping apart at the seams in certain places. Again, these are small issues which would not prevent me from returning, it would just make me plan things differently as far as food purchases for the unit.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Went to Atlantis in in June my man's brother let us us his time share which was great, the resort is nice had a lot of things to do loved the lazy river. Very well maintained the room was good had full kitchen which was nice especially since the food on resort is so expensive. We were able to go to the market and buy food, if you can I would suggest paying for a cab and going to a store that the hotel doesn't take you to, as the food there was also over priced. However if you do eat at any of the restaurants on resort the food is good just pricey .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Berkeley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Dear Tripadvisees,
Many reviews talk about the property or how to save money, I will mostly focus on how it was to cook at the Harborside, grocery shopping and a few other tips about the Straw Market.

Cooking
First, and most important, if you arrive early and decide to stop at the grocery store on the way to the Atlantis, please be aware that there is no refrigeration available before you check in so don't buy perishables if you are very early.

We stayed in the smaller one bedroom. Cooking here was a challenge because of the way the kitchen is laid out and the limited cooking utensils. There is a microwave and a two burner stove in this unti. All other units have bigger stoves. There are two sauce pans, a stock pot, a small frying pan, a few spoons, a vegetable peeler, bottle/wine opener, colander and coffee maker. There are also plates, bowls, cups utensils and glasses for four. We really missed having a cheese grater.

With this in mind, most of your meals will be microwaved or prepared on the stove top. There are no condiments provided so it would be a good idea to bring sugar, salt and pepper and spices. You can get most things at the grocery store but they really mark up the price on the sizes most vacationers would purchase. We wish we had brought some good coffee (as we only found Folgers at the grocery store) and basket shaped filters, as the hotel does not provide these.

Shopping
The hotel offers a daily shuttle to the grocery store for $7, but being adventurous souls, my husband and I decided to walk. It was definitely an adventure. We found the store easily and the store was well stocked. I think our experience was a bit colored by the fact that we had been on Eleuthera for a week where the stores are very limited in what they stock. Another thing to note is that the local water is desalinized ocean water. It's fine for drinking, but tastes salty. We added Chrystal light and the problem was solved. Imported water costs 6x more.

The drawback to walking was that we had to take a cab back to the hotel which cost $20. We ended up tipping the guy who called the cab because it seemed expected, and we tipped the boys who put our groceries in the car. I wasn't bothered by this but others may be. We ended up really liking our cab driver and calling him whenever we wanted to go off property. He drives a comfortable, air-conditioned cab, and if you are interested, contact me and I will send his email/phone number.

Straw MArket
I did not like the straw market. I felt the vendors were very aggressive and the selection was poor. They basically sold the same things you see on the carts on the Atlantis property. You can bargain a bit, at the Straw Market talking vendors down from $15 per t-shirt to $12, but I wish I had stayed at the property to do my shopping. There is greater quality and selection at the Atlantis stores, and not much higher prices, especially if you factor in a taxi to and from.

Senior Frogs
This was at the end of the Straw Market and a popular restaurant for tourists. For me it was like Spring Break on steroids. It didn't seem to have much to do with the Bahamas and attracted the cruise ship crowd. They had drinking games and the wait staff would stop to dance once in a while. I thought it was too much and my teenage boys didn't enjoy it. The food was not bad, but not special.

WEAR SANDALS
That's my last piece of advice. My fourteen year old got blisters on his feet because the pavement was so hot and he didn't want to wear his flip-flops to the water park. Make your ornery teen wear them!

THE PULLOUT BED IS AWFUL
I felt so sorry for the kids because they shared this small bed. The springs literally poke into your sides and it's terrible. The regular bed is very comfortable, but i would have rented a two bedroom had I known.

I hope this was helpful. If you have questions about Harborside or Atlantis, please feel free to contact me.

Karen

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went to Atlantis last month with my family and loved every minute of it. It is expensive however, the wonderful staff and resort make every penny more than worth it. Great food and Great room. Harborside room was huge, comfortably fit my family of 6 (one full kitchen, one half kitchen, three bathrooms) Excellent water park and so much to do!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!