“GREAT!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Los Angeles, California
“GREAT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The bad reviews on here of it being "too loud, too crowded, too expensive..." well DUH! Atlantis is NOT the place to go if you want that "Corona commercial" relaxation. It IS the place to go if you want to have fun, party, and let loose in the Caribbean!

Of course it's very pretty, but if you want the picturesque resort, go somewhere else. Or even stay at the Cove.

Yes it is very expensive.... Expect that going in to it! Don't know what else to say about that except... don't go if you can't afford it! Service was always great for me -- even was able to order room service at 4 am and have it delivered to me, poolside! Awesome.

HAVE FUN!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Coral Tower and loved it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Though most Starwood timeshare condos are nice, well appointed and clean, Harborside at Atlantis is all of that combined with luxury and great service! As a Platinum Starwood Guest and frequent traveler, this is the spot for getting the best of the Bahamas, the Atlantis resort plus a place to make a few meals in a gourmet kitchen, drink your OWN beer out of your OWN refrigerator and most importantly have to deal with elevators, drunk casino guests have MUCH MORE privacy! Though I'm not a huge fan of Timeshare, this is a property that I would actually consider. If you are a "spoiled brat" traveler like me, then don't expect the "St Regis" or "Ritz Carlton", sorry for mentioning the latter Fritz, but it is a great, comfy and luxurious alternative for vacationing in the Bahamas and more importantly the Atlantis Resort!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I am a 4 star elite, owning enough Starwood's to trade for a small house - so I am keenly aware of the value proposition - which I am delighted with. This property is the crown jewel of the Starwood Vacation Network franchise, and well it should be - but frankly it is not run nearly as well as the others we frequent (Lagunamar, St John) and sadly it could be easily fixed.

But first to the good news. The property is well maintained, though the units do need some updating, that is in plan and was not an issue. The staff is helpful, services plentiful and the whole Atlantis conveniences are simply outstanding. Make no mistake, this place is a solid 5 start place - but frankly this is where my issue lies... it should be and easily could be a 6 star. Here are my issues:

1) the hotel staff is far more interested in me attending the owner's update than ensuring we have the accommodations
we asked for in place.
- We asked no less than 3 times for a crib and high chair and finally 2 days later - they arrive.
- We arrived at about 6 pm to a very long check-in line and room that wasn't ready. Props to Raymond for spotting this,
and pulling us out of line to check us in - on the side - But COME ON, I am one of your elite owners and you can't make
sure my room is ready 3 hours after it was supposed to be????
- Can they make check in any harder or longer? You'd think I was staying in a 3rd world country, not the world's best
hotel chain. Unacceptable.

2) Where are the nearby food markets and on-property Grills? I assume this is greedy business owners who don't want
people to make their own meals but buy them out, but this limitation is no where else in the Starwood Vacation Network
and is just ridiculous. It is not about the money for me, I am a frequent traveller and am simply tired of eating out.
I want to prepare and cook my own meals - please Starwood make that a real option for folks like me!

3) The pool closes at 5pm on Sunday, REALLY???? I have no idea what that was about but throwing out guests for some
arbitrary close time is not what I expect from a world class property. You exist to meet our needs, and clearly the dozen
or so families you chased out didn't think you were "there for them"!

If your reaction to this is, "my, he is petty", then i have accurately portrayed my issues... They are minor, relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things, and in no way detract from my delight with Harborside, or Starwood. I am very satisfied with my ownership and have been for years, BUT... This place is so close to the best that I want to see it get there - so,please Mr General Manager, heed my words and focus here - We will all be delighted you did!

Craig Smelser, Cedar Park, TX

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JLThompson1, General Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review and your positive feedback on the staff and services. At Harborside we strive to provide a Blow Away experience and your continued satisfaction with the property would seem to indicate we have succeeded in that regard.
You did share a few concerns relative to the wait at check-in and requests for a crib which were not rendered in as timely a fashion as they should have been. For that I extend my sincere apologies.
As for the availability of food items for cooking, the on-site Sundry store carries a small selection of convenience items for sale. There are also 2 small foodstores just a short walk away in the local plaza on Paradise Island as well as a daily shuttle to a larger chain foodstore in Nassau where guests can purchase grocery items.
As for the pool closing at 5pm on Sunday, you will be pleased to know that was extended to 7pm as of Monday with the change in time (Daylight Savings Time). With the safety of our guests in mind, the pool closure hours change throughout the year to coincide with the available hours of daylight.

I appreciate your constructive feedback as we strive to continuously improve the experience for our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back home again.

Regards,

Judith Thompson
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Harborside timeshare condos were built in two phases with phase II being newer and thus in better condition. we were initially in building four and the unit was excellent but it had no view. we asked for another unit with a view and eventually were offered building one. the balcony view was over the Atlantis marina with views of Atlantis. the entry door was next to the noisy Atlantis private road. the room was in a less than average maintained condition - severely cracked and damaged counters in the kitchen, old looking and worn tiles in the bathroom and several small but irritating problems. We did opt for this room because of the view. Management went above and beyond in fixing and trying to fix as many of the problems as they could (tv not working/ac not cooling enough/broken coffe pot/ dirty carpets). i gave a very good because of the view, the pool and the effort of Harborside management. our two bedroom lockoff was ok for the three couples. of course, the Atlantis water park was great and the Ocean Club golf course was exceptional. most restaurants are expensive which is the norm for a resort such as this.

Room Tip: building seven has the best view but the rooms are part of the older phase I
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Salem, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Food very expensive due to cost of shipping it here..most people friendly and cordial..GREAT water slides..lazy river ride...great running weather most days..safe...timeshare best 4 families due to laundry in room and kitchen..savings=a ton on food!! We would come back and do it again.

• Stayed February 2013
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

First, let me start by saying this was our family’s first trip to the Bahamas and the Atlantis Resort. Everyone I talked to before we went had the same statement .. “That place is supposed to be fantastic!!!”, so our expectations were high.

We arrived late on a Sunday evening (due to flight delays) and were given a first floor room. We are Starwood Vacation Owners who used points to book the room, and upon booking we clearly indicated whatever room we get, please don’t make it a first floor room!! When we asked if there were any other options, the front desk, quite rudely I must say, informed us that everyone checked in on Friday and Saturday and that’s all that was available. It was 10 degrees in Chicago when we left and 80 down here, so I moved on and chalked it up to bad luck determined to enjoy our vacation.

Upon entering the room, we knew why this room was the last one available. The floor was filthy, there was a slight mildewey smell, and there were obvious signs of water damage to the door frames around the bathrooms. We immediately called the front desk and complained. Again, we got the rude “Everyone checked in on Friday” spiel When we pressed further, the front desk said there were small 1-bedrooms available on higher floors, but as we had booked a two-bedroom lockoff (there were six of us travelling) that obviously would not work. So, again, we sucked it up and soldiered on.

If you read other reviews, they already talk about the shuttle to the grocery store and the inter-resort shuttle. We didn’t use the grocery shuttle, but can’t say enough good things about the inter-resort shuttle. We never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a shuttle and all the drivers were friendly, courteous and made us feel welcome. Special props go out to Christopher who was a great entertainment and was great with the kids.

Also, I won’t go into how expensive everything is on the island since that’s covered pretty sufficiently in other reviews. Suffice it to say, it’s expensive. $90 for dinner for 4 (two kids) at Johnny Rockets!!! Burgers and shakes!! Wow!!!

Let’s move on to the concierge at Harborside. Very friendly and welcoming ladies that are completely useless. Asked if they could recommend a restaurant for 2 adults and 3 young kids (under 6). They called a couple restaurants on property – nothing available. Not a problem since reservations are recommended in advance. However, when asked if they had any other recommendations, they just stared at us and said sorry. Turns out there’s a ferry to downtown Nassau where there are plenty of decent places to eat (at a reduced rate from the island). Again, it’s my responsibility to plan better, but they could have mentioned that to us!! Oh and they’re great at ensuring you sign up for a timeshare presentation for $100. No thanks.

Overall, the Atlantis resort is a beautiful place. Unfortunately, the kids pools were closed for maintenance when we were there, so we can’t comment on those (unfortunate, but you have to fix stuff, so no biggie). There were several pools and plenty of beachfront. My kids loved “The Current” lazy river ride. The one big caution is the cruise ships. The day we left, there were 5 in port and the Atlantis sells day passes to the park to cruisers. That means it can get verrry crowded, as we witnessed when leaving!! All the lounge chairs on the beach were gone by 10:00 AM. The staff on the resort itself were always very friendly and accommodating. My only complaint is the overall condition of the resort. Apparently, the resort went into bankruptcy recently and it shows. While nowhere near a dump, it’s clear that they’ve skimped a bit on cleaning and upkeep. Many of the lounge chairs and umbrellas were spattered with bird poop and the overall property had a slight disrepair to everything. Now, this place is huge, so I can’t imagine the upkeep required, but for the price point they’re asking, it could be better.

We'll be back to Atlantis, but probably not Harborside.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Resort hotel that is the sister property to the Atlantis. You can have all of the amenities of The Atlantis by staying at this location without the individual cost. Our room was a one bedroom with a queen bed(a sleeper sofa in the living area also), a full kitchen, a bathroom, and laundry area. We also had a great view from the balcony(our room faced the Atlantis and was on the water). We were also within walking distance of the water taxi that will take you to the other side of the island by the downtown area and Straw Market. If you decide to venture out and by food to cook in your room, the best place to buy is the is right by the straw market(not where the hotel takes you). We paid the price for a person per night at the Atlantis(yes, they charge per person, not per room), had much more room to move around, food at our leisure, and got to use the beaches at the Atlantis, the aquarium(a must see), gamble, go to their clubs, touch the stingrays and baby sharks, all without the cost. Hotels in the area are surrounded by places to eat but nothing beats the local food. Word of advice, everything is cheaper on the other side of the bridge. If you take a taxi, be prepared to pay them one dollar to go to Paradise Island in addition to you taxi cost. Bahamas has some of the friendliest people that you will ever meet.

Room Tip: This a resort hotel, so you can always ask for a water view and they will try to put you in one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!