“very good but not excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$400 in Savings
CT
“very good but not excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Harborside timeshare condos were built in two phases with phase II being newer and thus in better condition. we were initially in building four and the unit was excellent but it had no view. we asked for another unit with a view and eventually were offered building one. the balcony view was over the Atlantis marina with views of Atlantis. the entry door was next to the noisy Atlantis private road. the room was in a less than average maintained condition - severely cracked and damaged counters in the kitchen, old looking and worn tiles in the bathroom and several small but irritating problems. We did opt for this room because of the view. Management went above and beyond in fixing and trying to fix as many of the problems as they could (tv not working/ac not cooling enough/broken coffe pot/ dirty carpets). i gave a very good because of the view, the pool and the effort of Harborside management. our two bedroom lockoff was ok for the three couples. of course, the Atlantis water park was great and the Ocean Club golf course was exceptional. most restaurants are expensive which is the norm for a resort such as this.

Room Tip: building seven has the best view but the rooms are part of the older phase I
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

950 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Salem, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Food very expensive due to cost of shipping it here..most people friendly and cordial..GREAT water slides..lazy river ride...great running weather most days..safe...timeshare best 4 families due to laundry in room and kitchen..savings=a ton on food!! We would come back and do it again.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

First, let me start by saying this was our family’s first trip to the Bahamas and the Atlantis Resort. Everyone I talked to before we went had the same statement .. “That place is supposed to be fantastic!!!”, so our expectations were high.

We arrived late on a Sunday evening (due to flight delays) and were given a first floor room. We are Starwood Vacation Owners who used points to book the room, and upon booking we clearly indicated whatever room we get, please don’t make it a first floor room!! When we asked if there were any other options, the front desk, quite rudely I must say, informed us that everyone checked in on Friday and Saturday and that’s all that was available. It was 10 degrees in Chicago when we left and 80 down here, so I moved on and chalked it up to bad luck determined to enjoy our vacation.

Upon entering the room, we knew why this room was the last one available. The floor was filthy, there was a slight mildewey smell, and there were obvious signs of water damage to the door frames around the bathrooms. We immediately called the front desk and complained. Again, we got the rude “Everyone checked in on Friday” spiel When we pressed further, the front desk said there were small 1-bedrooms available on higher floors, but as we had booked a two-bedroom lockoff (there were six of us travelling) that obviously would not work. So, again, we sucked it up and soldiered on.

If you read other reviews, they already talk about the shuttle to the grocery store and the inter-resort shuttle. We didn’t use the grocery shuttle, but can’t say enough good things about the inter-resort shuttle. We never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a shuttle and all the drivers were friendly, courteous and made us feel welcome. Special props go out to Christopher who was a great entertainment and was great with the kids.

Also, I won’t go into how expensive everything is on the island since that’s covered pretty sufficiently in other reviews. Suffice it to say, it’s expensive. $90 for dinner for 4 (two kids) at Johnny Rockets!!! Burgers and shakes!! Wow!!!

Let’s move on to the concierge at Harborside. Very friendly and welcoming ladies that are completely useless. Asked if they could recommend a restaurant for 2 adults and 3 young kids (under 6). They called a couple restaurants on property – nothing available. Not a problem since reservations are recommended in advance. However, when asked if they had any other recommendations, they just stared at us and said sorry. Turns out there’s a ferry to downtown Nassau where there are plenty of decent places to eat (at a reduced rate from the island). Again, it’s my responsibility to plan better, but they could have mentioned that to us!! Oh and they’re great at ensuring you sign up for a timeshare presentation for $100. No thanks.

Overall, the Atlantis resort is a beautiful place. Unfortunately, the kids pools were closed for maintenance when we were there, so we can’t comment on those (unfortunate, but you have to fix stuff, so no biggie). There were several pools and plenty of beachfront. My kids loved “The Current” lazy river ride. The one big caution is the cruise ships. The day we left, there were 5 in port and the Atlantis sells day passes to the park to cruisers. That means it can get verrry crowded, as we witnessed when leaving!! All the lounge chairs on the beach were gone by 10:00 AM. The staff on the resort itself were always very friendly and accommodating. My only complaint is the overall condition of the resort. Apparently, the resort went into bankruptcy recently and it shows. While nowhere near a dump, it’s clear that they’ve skimped a bit on cleaning and upkeep. Many of the lounge chairs and umbrellas were spattered with bird poop and the overall property had a slight disrepair to everything. Now, this place is huge, so I can’t imagine the upkeep required, but for the price point they’re asking, it could be better.

We'll be back to Atlantis, but probably not Harborside.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Resort hotel that is the sister property to the Atlantis. You can have all of the amenities of The Atlantis by staying at this location without the individual cost. Our room was a one bedroom with a queen bed(a sleeper sofa in the living area also), a full kitchen, a bathroom, and laundry area. We also had a great view from the balcony(our room faced the Atlantis and was on the water). We were also within walking distance of the water taxi that will take you to the other side of the island by the downtown area and Straw Market. If you decide to venture out and by food to cook in your room, the best place to buy is the is right by the straw market(not where the hotel takes you). We paid the price for a person per night at the Atlantis(yes, they charge per person, not per room), had much more room to move around, food at our leisure, and got to use the beaches at the Atlantis, the aquarium(a must see), gamble, go to their clubs, touch the stingrays and baby sharks, all without the cost. Hotels in the area are surrounded by places to eat but nothing beats the local food. Word of advice, everything is cheaper on the other side of the bridge. If you take a taxi, be prepared to pay them one dollar to go to Paradise Island in addition to you taxi cost. Bahamas has some of the friendliest people that you will ever meet.

Room Tip: This a resort hotel, so you can always ask for a water view and they will try to put you in one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fairbury, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Overall this resort is my choice 3 years in a row now

The rooms are very much like every other starwood property and the loc a tion is just a 7 minute more walk to the beaches

You are assigned a card with charge priveledges to all of Atlantis so all is good for food and shopping

I will stay here again.

San Clemente
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

After spending a few hours reading a mix of positive and negative reviews, I had guarded expectations as to what I was getting into. I took the time to make contact with representatives of both Harborside at The Atlantis and The Cove Atlantis (we spent a week at each) in order to coordinate how our stay was to go. I have to say from the time we got off the plane, until the minute we got on the plane to come home, every person we interacted with was pleasant, professional and took the time to make us feel special. I can only assume that the people who complained about their experience at either Harborside or The Cove simply didn't take the time to extend a common courtesy of smiling and looking people in the eye when they spoke to them. We saw several examples of guests being rude towards the employees. I would have reacted more aggressively to those people than the representatives of Harborside or The Cove did.

Our room at the Harborside was 2711 (Building 7) and our room at the Cove was 20-826. I would highly recommend either of the rooms. The Harborside room was quiet and had a nice view of the Marina, the view from the room in the Cove was breath taking. We stayed at "the club level" which I would recommend as there is an included breakfast, snacks served throughout the day and an open bar from 5 - 7pm.

During our stay at Harborside we ate breakfast at The Market Place Buffet on the Atlantis ($64.00 for a party of two). We usually ate around 9:30 or 10:00, the food was outstanding and usually kept us full until dinner at 6-ish. So when you look at it from that perspective it was actually a pretty good deal. There is a grocery store across the street, as well as Anthony's Pizza, which had good Pizza ($16.00 for a large) and a breakfast/dinner menu with reasonable prices. There is also a liquor store in the same complex for those looking to save a few bucks on adult beverages. We also ate at Carmine's, Nobu (Sushi), The Dunes, and The Bahamian Club. Carmine's was precisely what one would expect from Carmine's. Nobu was outstanding. Ask for the New Style Salmon Roll or the Bahamian Roll, you won't be disappointed. The Dunes, for our experience, was ok. The restaurant had a great atmosphere and service staff, but we weren't impressed with the food. The Bahamian Club was absolutely was fantastic! Expect to pay Ruth's Chris prices there, but also prepare yourself for an incredible meal!! If you find the prices too steep for the food onsite, there are cabs which you can take out to Fish Fry ($10 - $20 from Atlantis for a party of two depending on your cab driver, or $1.25 per person on the #10 Bus from the Straw Market). At Fish Fry we ate at Goldies restaurant. A Conch Salad, (3) drinks w/alcohol, Grilled Snapper, and BBQ Ribs came to roughly $100.00 (15% gratuity included).

Did some shopping at The Straw Market ($8 cab ride from Atlantis). Speaking of cab rides, we recommend you use Cheryl Wells. She was our driver. Very professional woman.. She and her son are both in the business. It was Cheryl that recommended I save the cab fare to the Fish Fry and take the #10 bus from the Straw Market. With her permission, here is her contact information: (Cell: +1 (242) 565-1997, E-mail: cheryl.m.wells@hotmail.com) Found all of the vendors at the Straw Market to be welcoming and friendly, regardless if you bought anything from their shop. All they ask is that you take a moment and look at their wares. Not too much to ask I thought. I politely kept moving, saying that I was waiting for something to speak to me. A couple of things did and the shop keepers were flexible when it came to the selling price.

The water at the pools and the lazy river was clean and warm (felt cool at first, but once you got in it's refreshing). Word of advice in reference to the rapids and the slides... pay attention to your surroundings and your riding position on the tube. We saw several people get hurt for failing to do so. Injuries ranged from bruised butts to cuts and scrapes on shoulders, head injuries, and a broken toe. We rode the slides and the rapids several times, keeping our wits about us, and enjoyed it each time.

Surprised my girlfriend with "The Journey of Joy" treatment at The Mandara Spa. Was disappointed to see her walking out of the spa without the pedicure and manicure I not only prepaid for, but confirmed with the Mandara Spa representative at check in. As it was a surprise for my girlfriend she didn't know what it entailed. Had I not happened to be walking by the spa when she was ushered out of the massage area she would have missed out on some more "pamper time". That was pretty disappointing to me. I have read other people describe the spa as having an assembly line feel. I didn't go through the process, but it did indeed have a lot of people rotating through it. The volume of people they process may have been why my girlfriend didn't receive a level of attention to where a spa representative would have at least advised her as to what was coming next, versus let her think it was over and feel ushered to the door.

Last three tips:

1. If you are turned off by the price of staying on the Atlantis property, you can stay at The Comfort Suites. It's a short walk from the property and, as they are affiliated with the Atlantis, you have access to all of the Atlantis aquariums and the water park. The only exception being the Cain pool at the Cove. The rooms at the Comfort Suites have been newly refurbished, you have a kitchen (so you can save a bit by cooking for yourself) and you don't have to pay for internet access.

2. There is a guy that sings in the lounge area just above the Virgil's restaurant, directly across from where you can purchase your Atlantis photos. Find out when he is going to be performing. The man puts on a great free show. We stumbled across him, spent a couple of hours listening to him sing and were disappointed to learn we wouldn't be able to enjoy him again during our stay. His performance was certainly a wavetop of our two week stay. It was that enjoyable.

3. Recognize that the staff at Harborside and The Atlantis property as a whole are at WORK. They deal with a large volume of people day in and day out. Take a minute to smile, ask THEM how their day is going before you jump right in with your question/request. Invariably I found that when I approached a person in this fashion who didn't have a smile when I walked up, by the time I was ready to ask my question or request they had a big smile on their face.

This place is simply fantastic. If you have the disposable income to stay on property you won't be disappointed. If your budget is a little more restrictive, there are still plenty of options available for you to enjoy yourself here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from the absolute worst vacation ever. Atlantis is a tired, dirty, overpriced resort in desperate need of some serious renovations. Where should I even begin? First and foremost, my engagement ring and wedding band were stolen out of our room while we were in it! The hotel security and police are an absolute joke. They could have cared less! The officer actually told me that after looking at my hand, I should have some kind of mark or indentation on my finger if I wore a ring for that many years! Really??? WOW! So basically he thought we decided to take 4 days out our vacation to drag our young son around while we file pretend police reports about pretend rings that never existed???? Just disgraceful. The two bedroom lockoff was filthy and run down when we walked in. Was obviously never even cleaned from the last occupants. The pool and only restaurant at Harborside were closed during our entire stay. The entire vacation was just one thing after another. What a nightmare. I wouldn't even consider returning to Atlantis or the Bahamas ever again!

• Stayed February 2013
JLThompson1, General Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. The comfort and safety of our guests is always our foremost concern and we take these allegations very seriously. As you requested, this is now a police matter. They, with our full support and co-operation, are conducting a thorough investigation of this situation, which is still on-going.

Judith Thompson

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!