“Wonderful stay for a young couple” 4 of 5 stars

$250 Airfare Credit
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oak Forest, Illinois, United States
“Wonderful stay for a young couple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Me and my boyfriend just returned from a week stay at Harborside. We booked it through RCI (his employer provides it as a benefit). Overall, it was a wonderful, romantic, fun and very memorable stay. We arrived January 6th and were picked up at the airport by a pre-arranged shuttle (good deal at $52 roundtrip for 2 adults).

We were very happy with the kitchen, size of the unit, upkeep of the property and laundry facilities. The jacuzzi bathtub was very nice in the room, but a couple of the jets weren't working. The bed was very comfortable! However, We were disappointed to learn the Harborside pool exclusively for guests at Harborside was closed for renovation starting the day we arrived and will remain closed for an undetermined amount of time. Also, the maid only came 1 time the entire week.

I highly recommend taking the shuttle to the grocery store in order to save a lot of money on food. When we did eat at the property, we ate at Mosaic buffett for lunch a few days and also Johnny Rockets in Marina Village.

The weather was wonderful, about 80-82 and sunny everyday. Water was perfect to swim in and it was only slightly chilly and drizzly one day but ended up clearing up. It was also not crowded at all during the week, and sometimes we had entire pools to ourselves! Short lines for waterslides, tons of open beach chairs. It was the week kids went back to school so that was probably why it was so empty.

There was only 1 hot tub that was operational on the entire atlantis property, and it was packed. The rest were closed or under construction.

We had a great time at the casino- we found out there is a free slot tournament every day from 9 am- 10:30 am and you are guaranteed to win anywhere from $10-100 per day. I played 4 days and ended up winning $300!

We went to downtown Nassau for a day by ferry and enjoyed it; I felt very safe and I wasn't hassled by the locals too much.

Overall, Harborside was a romantic and luxurious getaway and it was really nice to have the extra space. It was actually almost too big for just a couple, but would be great for families!

I knocked down a star just because a few of the pools/hot tubs were closed and sometimes the staff seemed annoyed to answer questions. But other times, cheery staff members really shined. Also, things are very expensive but Harborside offers many ways to save.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
olney, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We are owners and this was our 12th stay here-we never trade and come here once or twice a week. We don't usually hang out at Harborside pool except at end ofthe day so not thrilled pool/hot tob were closed for renovation but glad the area will be new the next time we visit!
Check in was smooth and everyone was very pleasant. A big shout out to Sunnita who always remembers our names and is super helpful.
Out unit had new kitchen appliances since our last visit-- only issue was a loose bathroom door hinge and it was promptly fixed! Unit was clean and our mid week clean was also very thorough and included all change of bed linens!
Atlantis, is as usual, incredible! In the words of my 5 year old grand daughter --"best vacation ever!
We ate twice at Bimini road-no wait and huge portions--if you order the cracked conch or fried fish consider sharing as we had leftovers. Had Marina pizza one night and also good--meat lovers pizza excellent--white pizza so so.
Our only negative was Carmine's--we had reservations made for our arrival for 8 people --we arrived and were told it was for 5 people and they made no attempt to accommodate us--just kept saying we did not have reservations for 8. Since we enjoy it there remade our reservations. Upon arrival I brought a written copy of our previous reservation showing a party of 8. I spoke to the manager who clearly didn't care either--a complimentary dessert would certainly have been nice! Clearly they haven't gotten the message that the guest is always right!
Weather was great--low 80's and Mayan pool was warm!
As usual can't wait to go back!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I traded my ocean front Maui for this? Theses were the words that kept going though my head! They closed the pool half way though our stay, which we were aware of. I figured that we wouldn't spend much time there anyway and was prepared to make the best of it. But forgot that that the work is not quiet, it's pretty loud and the "Chunnel" that bisects bldg 1 & 2 sound like a freaking runway just added to the overall worksite ambience! It was incredibly LOUD. But I live in the country so maybe I am just weird about noise. I tried sitting on the patio but i got bit up by mosquito. Ended up feeling trapped in the room and wore my headset so I didn't have to hear the traffic noise. On the bright side, the staff did try to move us, but it was just a different noise from a different source. The staff always fixed thing, but slowly. I loved the rooms and the layout was great. We used both units. Also, the Atlantis experience is memorable. Good fun! Food is expensive and the mandatory 15% gratuity leaves little motivation for good service. Go to the grocery store and bring stuff from home (box of cereal is 8-10$). My one big tip is about beverages, the water is potable but off flavored, bring tea and crystal light or snapple mix and make drinks. Also, if you boil water or leave it out for a day, it tastes better. Bring coffee and filters.if you are committed to this place, request to NOT be placed in bldg 2. As for me, if we do go back, I would sell my week in Maui and buy something at the reef or the cove. Just my opinion though! I was there January 5-11. The weather was glorious.

Room Tip: Loud tunnel bisects bldg 1-2 bldg 1 overlooks the harbor and 2 overlooks the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
It is a disappointing to learn that our guests have not had a wonderful and memorable vacation experience as it is what we strive to create. However, Atlantis prides itself on having something and someplace for everyone. From the tranquility and elegance of the Ocean Club to the chic and modern vibe of the Cove, guests have the ability to customize their vacation spot based on their personal taste and still enjoy all the wonderful amenities Atlantis has to offer. We are sorry that Harborside was not to your liking, but hope that you will try one of our other towers. Most of all, thank you for your review.
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went Dec 14-21, 2012. We went for our honeymoon. I have to say the staff was very helpful. The condo was very spacious, well equipped and clean. The shuttle bus to Atlantis made our trip great! We spent most of our time on the beach by the Cove and used the shuttle every day. I have been to Vegas and Atlantis out does any hotel there because of the sea life displays, multiple free pools, waterslides etc and the amazing displays throughout!!! I didn't see the rooms at the hotel but just the grounds are amazing then you throw amazing beaches with crystal clear sparkling blue water!

I read some reviews before we left and so I knew food was expensive but WOW, it is CRAZY EXPENSIVE! However; we found out the following:

Don't have the taxi stop at a store on the way from the airport because the stores, food and liquor are way over priced! We found a cash only food store in downtown Nassau that was way cheaper! We also found that a short walk down the street there is a Dunkin Doughnuts which has the same prices as the US. Right there is also a liquor store with rum and vodka for about 8$ a bottle!!!! Anthony's pizza is really good but don't order the pizza there, go inside and order the pizza to go and enjoy a drink at the bar! I loved the local beer, Sands. Pizza is way cheaper and bigger to go than if you actually ate there. Scotia bank is also right there and has an atm that dispenses US currency.

We ate in the Atlantis one night and no exaggeration paid 87$ for pulled pork and fries!!! The poolside restaurants are the way to go but they close so make sure you get something when you head back to Harborside.

Bottom line bring breakfast bars, powdered coffee creamer, coffee etc! We paid $9 for small jar of powdered coffee creamer!!! box of cheezeits was 10$!!!!

Alcohol was cheap compared to Vegas or SF or San Diego. Paid between 5-7$ for a beer and 6-10$ for mixed drink or wine.

Also this was my first time out of the country so imagine my surprise when I got home to a $500 cellphone bill! We just called our kids each day and still got whacked!!!

We were able to just walk into the Cove pool 2 out of the 3 days that we tried. It is really nice and drinks were cheap. The third day they denied us because we were not staying at the Cove. While we were there the service was great, the music was great and the NO KIDS part was great!!! Pool itself is amazing.

Cove beach is awesome! You can walk further down it for even more privacy and water was amazing!

Don't go to the big ferry building to get a ferry to Nassau, take the one off the dock right beside Harborside, it is about 10$ roundtrip cheaper!

The little gym at Harborside had everything we needed and was a fun way to keep the fat off before drinking beer all day and night!

My biggest complaint with Harborside is this, NO WIFI! and $29/day for in room hard connection internet as well as only having 2 computers for guest to use in lobby that get shut down at 7pm!!!!!

The no internet is the only thing that kept us from giving Harborside 5 stars! Not flashy but nice , clean, fun and outstanding staff, great location! We would go back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for posting such a positive and helpful review on our resort. Your review is filled with great tips. I especially love the tip about not stopping to the grocery store before check in, as Harborside does not have grocery storage. For this reason, we provide a daily grocery shuttle for a nominal fee. I am thrilled that your family vacation was a success and I hope you come again.
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Avoid this place. Total lack of service. Maintenance terrible. Run down. Request after request until towels arrive 6 hours later. Phones do not work so you cannot contact others on property. BAD. Overpriced. Restaurant on premise, food is inedible.

Room Tip: Stay at the Cove at main property, though expect to give up your first born for it is way overpriced...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property and thank you for choosing Harborside as your vacation destination. When a guest does not enjoy their vacation at Harborside, it is deeply disappointing to us. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly so that we can get more information on your vacation experience and avoid this type of occurrence in the future. I can be contacted that hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com .
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family of 5 traveled here the week before christmas. Staying @ Harborside was a great way to get the FULL atlantis experience yet off the beaten path enough to avoid "cruiser crowds" gawking at the main hotels/casino & all the "hussle-bussle" that comes with large hotels. We were across the harbor (directly across from Royal Tower but there's no bridge so you have to walk around the harbor or take shuttle). With 3 children in tow it took us 15-20 minutes to walk to main resort/beach/waterpark. We enjoyed walking along the harbor seeing the gorgeous yachts that come from all over the world to visit Atlantis. Plus as i told my kids, it was their daily exercise so we would opt for the walk instead of the shuttle whenever possible - including when we went out to dinner. The Harbor is even more beautiful at night! Some mornings we wouldnt rush to the waterpark and just chill by Harborside's pool & restaurant "The Point". Its a great zero entry pool, small fitness room (free vs the one at the main hotels),ping pong/shuffle board, plus baby pool. We would order breakfast poolside and let our kids swim while we waited & ease into the day before heading to Atlantis. I would definately take my family back to this location if we ever went back to Atlantis. All units have been updated, plenty of space for 2 kids in a pullout & 1 on a rollaway ($5/day), parents in King BR. Full kitchens in the larger 1 BR deluxe, i think just "kitchenettes" in smaller 1 BR units. IMPORTANT note - they are very strict about maximum people in each type of unit, which effects the # of wristbands you are allowed each day to access Atlantis. Not a concern if you plan to stay put at Harborside's pool area but if your entire group wants to get into beach/waterpark area then you need to know how many people are allowed in your unit. They need your room key in order to give you wristbands. Also, i DO NOT recommend buying the DINING PLAN - even if your kids eat for free!!! The value plan only gives access to 2-3 restaurants (which didnt sound appealing to us), the gourmet plan (what we did) was pricey yet allows you into the nicer restaurants. The catch is the 15% gratuity based on the value of your meals. The nicer restaurants have insane prices!! Our food value was $200-$400 per meal so you can imagine how the gratuity added up. Not to mention the kids were free (meaning no dining plan was purchased for them but we still had an automatic gratuity for their food). It was a huge expense we were not prepared for. Especially when i discovered a grocery store in walking distance. Plus Harborisde has a service that will take you to/from grocery if you didnt want to walk. That was our biggest mistake - live and learn....do not do the meal plan!!! Granted i thoroughly enjoy the fine dining and no cooking for a week :)) PS - get daily updates on your bill - TONS of mistakes and Bahamians are way too lax about this...be prepared and pay attention. Halfway thru the week we started asking for copies for all dining reciepts b/c some places dont automatically give you itemized copies. Overall we loved this vacation and just dealt with these other issues.

Room Tip: call as much as possible leading up to your trip to make requests. but it seems like room assignmen...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out to post such positive comments. It’s always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed themselves as this is of upmost importance to us. Thank you for review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Kingston, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very disappointed! We booked a stay at the Harborside Resort at Atlantis from Jan 28 through to Feb 15, 2013, through our Starwood plan. We were very excited about spending a 3 week vacation at this resort however in December we were contacted by email to tell us about “a small inconvenience” happening at Harborside during our entire stay. They will be closing the pool, hot tub, children’s pool for maintenance and the pool side Pointe restaurant will also be closed. Therefore there are no facilities available on site! We have contacted both the Harborside and Starwood and no compensation is going to be provided for this inconvenience, which we believe is terrible customer service for a 4 star resort. We would expect more from a place like this and especially from Starwood where we have been dedicated owners for 29 years. After numerous complaints, the hotel sent us back to Starwood who communicated to us that they have made the decision that nothing will be done for guests staying at the Harborside Resort there during this time frame, not even providing free internet which costs guests $24 a day! This is unacceptable and will ruin our hard-earned vacation. We feel this information should have been disclosed long before a month prior to our arrival.

If you book during Jan 7 to mid or late Feb, you may want to reconsider. And if you are considering Starwood ownership, please take into account the (lack of) customer service we experienced here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
To further add to the ambience and consistent maintenance of the resort property, the pool and hot tub at Harborside are being resurfaced. Unfortunately, this means that some of our guests will be inconvenienced and this is regrettable. After careful consideration, it was decided that January was the best time to close it as it is the period of lowest occupancy. We ask for your continued understanding as we put your maintenance dollars to work for you.

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!