“Fun family vacation” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Massapequa, New York
“Fun family vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

10 of us shared a 2 BR + a 1BR adjoining in Harborside building 5. Although adequate room and space, a lack of pillows and blankets prompted a house call and one of the pull out beds was not made up and we had to call for linens and made the bed up ourselves. The rooms showed some wear and tear and were not as refined as I had expected. I'd think being in a timeshare part of the facility these would be better well kept. The cooling system was somewhat quirky-my wife never felt cool in our room. The main TV lost its reception on day 3 prompting another service call. We did enjoy Aquaventure, the waterpark, and the Dolphin Encounter on site. Had a decent dinner at Carmines and a good one at Seafire Steakhouse, reservations did lessen our wait times at these sites. Thanks also to our terrific taxi service from Cheryl Fox-Ferguson of Cheryl's taxi who was always courteous, prompt and respectful. Our kids loved playing cash cab with her and her suggested outing to Goldie's at the Fish Fry was a good time. All in all, a decent and fun time was had by all, but I left feeling something was lacking.

Room Tip: our harborside bldg 5 rooms had a nice poolside view which was always a quiet area
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback on your visit. At Harborside, it is our mission to create positive and memorable vacation experiences and it is always disappointing when we do not. The housekeeping and maintenance concerns you mentioned are not typical of the level of service we strive to provide and I would like the opportunity to further discuss your concerns. Please contact me at hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com at your convenience. Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We are Starwood vacation owners in Cancun and Orlando. We have vacationed to many places and this by far is the worst run timeshare. No one works. There is no concierge and the front desk never answer the phone. If they do, they place you on hold forever. Not to mention the water pipe broke and they told us it would be fixed by a certain time and it wasnt fixed til hours later. We had to call them to find out. They would have never told us. We wasted a day. They did not accommodate us at all. They were rude and we felt like we were just a bother to them all. The Bahamas is way more expensive than NYC. It is crazy. I will never step foot on that island. I will tell Everyone!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing Harborside as your vacation destination. At Harborside, it is our aim for our guests to enjoy their vacation so much that they want to return. Based on your review, it seems that we have fallen short of our goal. We would like the opportunity to prevent this from happening in the future and ask that you contact us at hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com to tell us how we can.
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I own a 1 BR timeshare & went there for the first time 11/23-12/1 and I absolutely loved my vacation! I wonder how people have time to complain, as I was too busy enjoying my vacation to complain!

The staff was extremely helpful, especially Nioshe and Edwina!

I stayed in Room 4740, Building 2, close proximity to the main building, as well as the pool. Well-appointed unit, very clean, love it! I really Enjoyed my harbor view off the balcony every morning. The pool at Harbourside (I always found a spot viewing the harbor) was very serene, and I really enjoyed this most. Although I did enjoy riding the shuttle up to Paradise Beach at times. Cove beach was just too noisy for my tastes.

We hopped on the resort's grocery shuttle, and stocked up with breakfast, lunch and snack foods & drinks for the room. We had dinner out most nights, enjoying indoor romantic dinners on the balcony 2 nights. We ate off-property most nights, such as Montagu Gardens (they send a shuttle to pick you up) and Poop Deck (avoid the long wait here by ordering take out). There is also Anthony's, within walking distance, reasonably-priced menu. Eateries at Atlantis are EXTREMELY expensive.You can purchase a meal plan, but only for the entire stay.

My Mandara Spa day was very elegant. With their $139 package, I received a facial, massage and foot massage. The foot massage was excellent, the rest was just okay. They give you a free 1-day pass to use the steam, hot tubs and sauna, which is very nice.

Of course, Atlantis have numerous activities. I chose mainly to relax, though.

This vacation left me very relaxed, and I just can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Bldg 2, Rm 4740, good view & locations
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Here at Harborside, we are always happy to learn that our guests have enjoyed their time with us. We also appreciate your feedback and we are always delighted to provide you with a memorable experience. We trust that you will visit us again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just came back from our vacation at Harborside and was disappointed on this trip. As "owners", we have made a significant investment in purchasing a 2 BR lock-down unit in 'prime time' as well as paying significant yearly maintenance fees. That being said, we have vacationed many times over the years. We chose this week before Christmas because it is usually quieter and most relaxing. The resort overall was not that busy. We were given a room in Building 6 on the first level right by the Nassau ferries. We always love sitting outside on our balcony to enjoy the Bahama breezes but on this trip, no such luck ! I call our location on this trip the "Diesel Dungeon" because the smell of fuel from the ferries permeates so much that you cannot enjoy your balcony at all !! You can't leave a window or door open due to the smell. Why on earth would they book someone in this room / building when they weren't busy is well beyond my thinking. It should be their last resort room !!
Regarding resort restaurants, be forewarned that many are closed on different nights of the week. On Sunday 12/14, the following dinner restaurants were closed: Seagrapes, Chopstix, Casa DeAngelo, Bimini Rd, Seafire Grill, Cafe Martinique, Murrays Deli, and then The Atlas for renovation. Pretty much, that was the bulk of resort dinner restaurants. Thank goodness for some of the great restaurants in Nassau such as The Poop Deck, Luciano's of Chicago, Graycliff, et al.
And last to top it off ~ there was an electrical fire in a neighboring room ~ which destroyed the room (the sprinkler system worked great - lots and lots of water flowing from the room into the courtyard, the alarms also worked which was a plus). The problem was that no one from the resort knew there was a fire until we and others in our building made multiple phone calls to alert them. Multiple calls because no one at the other end picked up the phone. Finally, we were able to obtain a resort operator who sent out some first responders from the resort - mind you, they were not trained fire dept people. A true fiasco and if it weren't such an important issue, it would have been a comedy in the making. I took pictures and videos to share via the internet.
OTHER THAN THAT ~ Harborside and The Atlantis is, by and large, a wonderful family resort and is everything the pictures and advertisements show....and we look forward to going back......but not to "the Diesel Dungeon" !!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from Building 6 and even Building 3.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting the feedback on your visit. The experience with your villa assignment is regrettable and we do apologize for this. Additionally, we are disappointed that we did not resolve these concerns while you were here with us. Moreover, please note that because of the size of the resort our staff are trained to deal with all emergency situations and there are also emergency services (fire and medical) on the island at all times. Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you for another stay with us.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I just got back,had a great stay ,great staff at harborside .the rooms were clean.also my kids loved the buffet since they could pick and choose what they wanted.I had Sandra ,from fergies taxi pick me up.there she was with a sign on time and stopped at the grocery store .she didnt even charge for the stop over.I almost made a mistake and booked with sheryls ferguson (sheryls taxi).She told me she was related to sandra.This is not true .so for who had used sandra in the past ,please know that another company is pretending they are her.I cant belive that there is such competition that some one would use the same last name and say that.I feel bad for sandra.

Room Tip: building 1,great view ,stay on the higher floors above the trees
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Flower Mound, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We did an exchange due to already owning a Time Share in Orlando and I have no idea what the big deal s about the Bahamas. The Atlantis resort and Nassau in general is ONLY after their money. Everything costs...even as a guest. The service is average at best. The drinks, food, rides, service, quality of the room etc etc...all average. Not just a slam on Atlantis but Nassau in general. I have been all over the world and Nassau and Atlantis is the worst as far as quality of service and overall. To top it off we tried twice to book dinner cruises and both times they were canceled at the last minute. This is supposedly the best dinner cruise and was actually recommended by several hotel staff members. I was with great company and met some really cool friends there so we made the best of it....but after staying in Orlando many many times and Key West etc...this place is about nothing other than squeezing you for every penny they can get. Do yourself a favor and of all of the million and one places in the world you can go...choose another.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My family stayed at the harborside the week after Thanksgiving. We have 2 sons, 8 and 6. The harborside is a great place to stay. It's proximity to the Water park is it's best feature along with the free wristbands you get everyday with your stay. Although the walk to the Royal tower is a good 10 minutes, it's a pretty walk through the marina. There are also regular shuttle buses that are efficient. The Hotel is fine, not luxury but well appointed. The upside to the Harborside is as follows, the location is amazing, it's close to all of the main attractions but also much quieter then the other towers, great for family. The pool is big and has a zero entry for young children. Most of the Bahaman people are wonderful, friendly and very happy! We booked the value meal plan and I am so glad we did. The food is VERY expensive, but the mal plan gave us several dining options, including 2 extensive buffets. The plan is only breakfast and dinner, however, we were able to bring leftovers home to our fridge for lunch and snacking. The plan was a great value! The water park is SO MUCH FUN and the aquarium is really beyond the imagination. We will definitely return as there is so much to do for the entire family. Most of the slides have necessary height restrictions, my 8 year old was fine but my 6 year old was limited in the fast slides he could go on. Truthfully he was fine with it. The restricted slides are tall and fast, he wanted nothing to do with them. And there were plenty of other places for him to enjoy. The downside to the harborside was that I felt we were a little lost as far as customer service goes. There was a wonderful young man at the front desk, I believe his last name is Winston and he just had a baby, his managers should know that he is excellent! Truly exceptional customer service. I was unimpressed with the concierge, as I was printing my return boarding passes, she approached me and apologized for over looking my family all week. She was supposed to contact us with a welcome and never did. Unfortunate for them because we own a Westin timeshare and always attend the seminars. I also think our trip may have been enhanced if she had made an introduction for us at the start of our vacation. There was a rude evening manager, our shower head broke, rusted out on our last night and was truly uncooperative and rude on the phone. The following morning, upon our departure the next manager John was apologetic and rectified the situation. The shower head was not representative of the room we were in. The rooms are nice, just a shower head mishap. The bead and pillows are not heavenly as they are in the other Westin resorts, the bed was fine but the pillows are way to big and don't give. Bad pillows! Otherwise it's a great place to be and we will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!