“Great Experience for Two” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Amazing Savings!
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Tucson
“Great Experience for Two”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My wife and I just returned home from a trip to Paradise Island. It was our first time to the Bahamas, and we stayed at the Harborside Resort. Like most reviewers, I found the positive and the negative feedback true in most cases. The most obvious drawback is the cost, which my wife and I were prepared for. We packed a suitcase of snacks and some other items, supplemented by a stop at the grocery store on the way to the resort from the airport. We bought fruit, soda, and a few other things which allowed us to eat breakfast and lunch in the room on most days. Most reviewers have also suggested that the portions you get at the restaurants are fairly sizable, and can be shared, which is absolutely true. Carmines in the Marina Village is a great spot, that serves their meals family style. We split a flat iron steak sandwich at Bimini Road (also in Marina Village) with an order of conch fritters, and had more than enough--it was really very good, too! We probably did a little more eating in than most, but we were pleasantly surprised when we checked out and settled our bill, despite being fairly liberal at the Point Bar and Atlas Bar and Grill in ordering cocktails and beer. So, the one real negative can easily be mitigated with a little planning, I think.
We don't have kids, so we intentionally planned our trip for after the Labor Day holiday. We had a great time spending time at the beach (Paradise Beach and the Cove) as well as taking advantage of the the lazy river and waterslides. It wasn't crowded at all despite having two days of the largest cruise ships in the world in port (Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas). We didn't wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to get on a slide, and never had to wait for a tube. However, if you have kids and the financial means to put this together, I don't think you would regret it. It's a great value, despite the cost, and everything except the casino is designed for kids and families.
Harborside was fantastic. The rooms are clean, the pool is a nice distraction from Atlantis if you want to get away from that scene. Everyone on the island, and at the resort especially, seemingly goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. As an example of their understanding and willingness to help, I lost an item at the water park on our last afternoon there, and everyone from the lost and found to the security team, was very helpful in finding and returning what I'd lost. We found the people at Harborside, and everywhere for that matter, friendly and helpful. The only unfriendly or rude experiences we had were from other tourists.
* We booked a half day snorkeling trip with Stuart Cove through the concierge at Harborside. Stuart Cove did a great job, and we had a blast.
* I'd suggest the City Market if you plan to stop at a grocery store on the way from the airport.
* We bought beer at the liquor store across the street from Atlantis, next to Anthony's restaurant. The prices there are relatively reasonable, and my wife brought a small collapsible cooler, which we filled with a couple of beers and sodas each day prior to heading to the pool or beach. It worked great.
* We took the ferry one day to the straw market. With the large cruise ships in port that day, it was a little crowded. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but if you're into bargaining and looking for something unique to take away from your trip, there is plenty of opportunity for that.
* The tipping is a little inconsistent in it's application. When you eat out or go for drinks, the tip's included, but the guys on the ferry, for example, acted as our 'tour guide', and expected a tip in return. I felt bad that I forgot to tip the Stuart Cove guys--my wife asked me on the bus ride back to the resort...I had forgotten. Maybe it's just me with the tipping issue, but I felt personally that the gratuity thing was a little confounding.
* We booked our airport transportation through Sandra Ferguson. They were awesome, and I definitely concur with the other reviews here--really a good job done by Sandra and her daughter getting us to and from the airport.
In all, it was a great vacation, even if it was just my wife and I. Don't let the prices get you down. The cost can be managed as much or as little as you want with a little planning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011 via mobile

Thank goodness for trip advisor ! I just returned from the Atlantis last week & was so thankful for this site as I got so many great tips for our family vacation !
Check-In was a long process , even though the room was ready I was over 30 minutes and was the only one on the line . I was in building 2 , 2 br lock off , 4th floor overlooking the pool , nice clean unit but not completely renovated ! The room had new furniture but the appliances we not new nor was the kitchen cabinets & the countertop had huge gouges . The unit suited us fine and was very clean . We did not take many clothes as I knew there was a washer & dryer in the unit & it was used plenty .
The food as everyone says is extremely expensive , bring from home as much as you possibly can to save $ . I bought a soft sided rolling cooler ( also used every day to go to the water park ) packed it with ground beef , bacon , frozen chicken breasts , hotdogs , cheese , cold cuts & butter ! To keep the food frozen I put 8 small lunch box size ice packs inside scattered throughout and froze the cooler tightly packed and in the morning put the cooler in the suitcase ! I also packed our carry-ons with cereal , granola bars , beef jerkey , skittles , kraft dinner , hamburger helper , salt & pepper , choc bars , crackers , bagels etc ....in my checked luggage I packed , mayonnaise , peanut butter , cheese whiz , huge plastic bottle of prego sauce , laundry sheets , dw tablets amd a plastic container for bread ( bread is not very good in Bahamas ) When we got to check-in 12 hrs later our food was still rock solid and no signs whatsoever of thawing ! This saved a huge amount of $ as I cooked breakfast in every morning & made sandwiches for lunch and ate supper in everynight but one ( went to Johnny Rockets 135.00 for 6 people and one only fries & a drink ) it was very good food & was served very hot !
When we arrived at the airport our taxi driver took ( Alfred Taylor ) excellent driver , took us to the grocery store , beer store and gave us a tour until 4 pm as I knew we could not check in until then . Buy water at the grocery store as water is extremely overpriced in Paradise Island . I spend 225.00 on groceries and got a huge amount of food ! I ran out of milk the last day and bought one on property & it was 4.99 for 1 liter . One thing I would do if ever returning Is pack my own frying pan as the cookware is garbage ! I had a hell of a time frying eggs no matter how much butter or Pam I used !
We found the shuttles very good , never waited more than 10 minutes ! We used the water taxi $3 to go to Nassau while there we went to the straw market & to Dunkin Donuts & did the shops on the main drag , it was quite an experience going to the market , you will be hounded to buy and be called Pretty Lady & Handsome the whole time you are there ! I bought my conch sells at the market for $5 , 25.00 on Atlantis . We will defiantly return and will bring my own food again as after speaking to people that bought the meal package it is a huge waste and they had to pay an additional 15 % gratuity on what the meal would have cost ! The workers on the property were all very nice . One of our highlights was getting our driver to take us to the poor areas and give out gifts to the children , we took frisbees , beach balls ( blew them
Up while driving around ) tooth brushes & paste , braclets ,gum , crayons , coloring books , small baby toys , small bags with shampoo , soap , lotion & loofah for the adults . The people received everything very well and the children were very happy to get the items , they were screaming & jumping around and so appreciative ! It did my kids good to see how good we really have it . On the last day my daughter & BF went to volunteer and the humane society ! I am cruising on the Disney Dream in March and already started picking up items to give away again to the Bahamiam people ! Enjoy your vacation .... & 4.00 soda is refillable at the Atlantis , fill it as much as you want until the bottom falls out ! Oh & happy hr at The Point delicious $5 .00 frozen drinks from 5-7 harborside pool !

• Stayed September 2011
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I read many reviews of Atlantis, including all of the properties, and found them all to be true both good and bad.
The most consistent negative review I read prior to our arrival was the cost, especially concerning the food. Indeed this is true, the food is very expensive. That is not to say that there are not values to be found or ways to minimize the cost. Staying at Harborside allowed us to have lunch in our room most days. We stopped at a market on the way from the airport and picked up supplies and were fine all week. We could have done breakfast as well but chose to eat out. This negative for some comes down to expectations for me. Knowing going in that it was expensive I was neither taken back by the prices or did I let it affect the way I felt about the vacation.
The property was ideal for us looking for something that had things to do for both my wife and I and my kids.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. We were there during the Hurricane and they kept us safe and secure during the storm and then as quickly as one could hope the resort went back to functioning and by Friday afternoon we were back having fun.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011 via mobile

Harborside Atlantis was the location for our family reunion this year in August.  We were very pleased with how Harborside handled our requirements but it took a bit of work.  My family had booked 6 rooms that were at first spread around the building but they managed to get us all close together including one room that adjoined another.  The rooms were quite good (clean, spacious enough) and the location was fine.  It took a while for the crib to be brought that we pre-ordered but it came eventually.  Atlantis, if you haven’t been there, is huge!  There is a shuttle between the “towers” and Harborside – it comes fairly regularly but the drivers might have come straight off of the Indy 500!  Certainly, all the kids loved the activities.

One other problem we had was that we ordered our groceries online through Nassau Grocers and had hoped for delivery when we arrived.  But they never showed up.  I cancelled the credit card charge as soon as I realized (4 hours later) that they probably weren’t coming.  Of course I couldn’t reach them because their phone number isn’t published anywhere that I could find.  It made it quite inconvenient for our group since a few people had to get a taxi to go across the bridge to Nassau to the grocery store.  We were definitely disappointed.  The hotel says they’ve had trouble with Nassau Grocers before but to be fair, they aren’t part of Atlantis.  The hotel staff suggested that FoodStore2Go.com would be a better source of grocery delivery if you go that route, but are quick to point out that there are plenty or restaurants on the property.

All in all I give it 4 stars – everything worked out and it was a great place for family to get together.  I recommend Harborside Atlantis for families.

• Stayed June 2011
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and myself stoped at the Harborside at Atlantis on Saturday August 20-27th. this was our second trip and love it! We used a taxi service called Fergies Taxi And Tour service and Sandra's daughter picked us up and was waiting outside for us for an hour following a delay...their prices are good, $35 each way, very friendly staff too! When we checked in I requested a room with a view overlooking the Atlantis but was refused because I should of telephoned earlier with my request...no rooms were available overlooking any of the harbour or pool. When we entered our lovely one bedroom villa we had no balcony, my husband contacted the friendly reception staff and requested a balcony and our request was granted thank you! Our room was fantastic, clean and had a partial view of the harbour and pool.Our room was 2769 on the second floor, elevator across from the room, very handy! The only problem I have with the villa is that there isnt a lot of room in the kitchen area, we like to cook breakfast & sometimes dinner in the evening but wasnt too much problem..eating at the Atlantis is very expensive, Few tips:...
Take the bus to the supermarket just over the bridge on the next day from Harbourside $7.return. I took spices,tea bags,coffee, crackers , olive oil, butter, ketchup, mustard, Starkist tuna creations for sandwiches, English muffins , and snacks in my checked in suitcase. However,the supermarket this time was realy good value and well stocked, everything is more expensive than the USA, meat is ver, very, expensive..frozen chicken, 8-9 $27.00. Milk, orange juice, bread etc., lovely and fresh and a good selection of products to choose from. Think the supermarket was called Super Value? just over the bridge.
Our vacation was spoilt due to Hurricane Irene and had to be evacuated to the Atlantis but all I can say is that we were safe and allthe staff from the Atlantis and Harbourside were fantastic, they worked soo hard all day and night to keep us entertained, providing food, drinks and snacks, everything was closed, even the next day but the company still provided us with lovely fresh food and drinks..thank you soo much!
Will be returning next year because its a lovely place for a vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Yes, when the commercial comes on I just shake my head.

I have been here at least 3 times and have had the same experience each time. The water that surrounds the moat area and alongside the water slides have brown foam floating on top. The casino is always empty. There is a "your bugging me vibe" being emitted from staff. They can't wait to get away from patrons so they can get back to chatting with fellow staff. Overall, it has a disney park atmosphere run by indifferent folks on island time. How does it stay open? The burger and the conch fritters we had on the Atlantis property down by the beach were just okay. Much ado about nothing...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Howell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Let me start off by saying I absolutely LOVE Atlantis & will return every chance I get!

My daughter & myself stayed with my parents in their 1 bedroom premium unit. Based on tips I received from TA, we brought breakfast food items, snacks, powered drink mix, individual insulated water bottles, blow up water floats, water shoes, laundry sheets, & clorox wipes. We purchased bottled water & additional beverages from the food store by Anthony's.

Tip:
- you can purchase half & half for your coffee from Starbucks
- the kid's meals @ The Point are around $8 and the portion size will satisfy an adult for lunch. Also, if interested in fresh cut fruit, get the $5 fruit bowl here -- it is large & delicious
- if looking for for a quiet, beautiful beach with luxurious lounge chairs, visit Cove beach

We were nervous about visiting Atlantis over the 4th of July because we thought it would be overcrowded. Well, it wasn't too crowded & as a nice surprise, the resort has a special event. This year the theme was Pirates of the Carribean. The entire outside area in front of Royal Towers was filled activities. There was an inexpensive BBQ (full meal for $10), games, live entertainment, face painting, & the best part -- fireworks off the beach. It was amazing! I would strongly recommend visiting during this time if possible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Harborside Resort? Share your experiences!