“new years eve fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Tampa, Florida
“new years eve fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was a surprise trip with my hubby, to celebrate my birthday & New Year's Eve. We stayed for 3 nights/4 days. Our room was nice & had a georgous view of the ocean. There was so much to explore at Atlantis...the pools, lazy river rapids, slides, grottos & dolphin encounter. We had a lot of fun during the Junkanoo New Year's Eve Parade! We had a good time, however, it was expensive to eat & drink during our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I took my daughter to the Bahamas for her 10th birthday. The resort is absolutely beautiful and I don't think there's any place like it. With that being said, that's about the only thing I liked about the resort. The food was overpriced and wasn't good at all. I had one good meal the entire week I was there. The rooms were extremely small.

Bottle water and cans of soda were around $6 - $7 each and it just wasn't worth it. I ordered a fountain drink and when I filled it up, I noticed that there were ants in the cup. I told the cashier and he told me to just let the soda drain for a minute or two and the ants would be out of the machine. Apparently, the ants and bees go into the machine through out the day and at night. I was disgusted especially since I found this out on the last two days of our vacation. We drank water the remainder of our trip. I love food and I hated spending money on food that we did not enjoy. I wouldn't mind going back for a day trip but I don't have any plans to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is apart of the Atlantis resort but is no where near the standard of the other hotels on site. The rooms haven't been refurbished since the 80's at best, the staff are rude and unhelpful,internet is $20 per day and the slides are a 15 minute walk away. The restaurants are so over priced. Apart from the scenery on this island, i wouldn't come if i didn't have too. Get value for your money somewhere else

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Returned last night (18th) after staying May 14-18th. We booked the $65 per person special and knew from the reviews we read not to have high expectations...
We did receive a top floor (7th) water view as requested, which we hoped for by booking in Feb. for May arrival. We have stayed in many ocean view suites in all-inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean & Mexico and I can honestly say the Beach Tower wasn't as bad as I expected. The room is large with table & chair and we were able to use the mini bar to store water & drinks as well as there was a frig left in the room we used too without charge. I would say if you are okay staying at a older, average Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn in the states, you'd be okay staying in the Beach Tower. I would recommend staying in Coral Tower over Beach Tower because we always seemed to have to walk to Coral- for taxi, excursions, check-in, check-out... All services are at Coral instead of Beach. We ate at the Dunkin Donuts (again, outside Coral Tower) for breakfast as we read in reviews before we left. There is a liquor store next to Dunkin Donuts. Beer is $44 a case (# 24) for beers you would buy in the US & $37 a case for Bahama beers. Liquor, including small size bottles, was comparable or cheaper than US. We packed bottle water & snacks and was very glad we did because they were way overpriced- $20-$27 for a case of water, $5.85 for a bag of Doritos! There are shops around the area of Dunkin Donuts where we bought souvenirs. I tried to use a gift card at Dunkin Donuts- gift cards can't be used outside US. I tried off property to use Discover card & not all places accepted. So, if you plan on taking a Discover credit card, take a Visa or MasterCard too. We had no problems with service- regarding our room and when eating. We ate dinner at Mesa Grill. We'd highly recommend eating here. Our bill was $190 for 2 margaritas, appetizer, 2 dinners & 2 desserts. We went on a sunset dinner sail excursion that was disappointing because we left to set sail later, only "1" drink was included & the buffet ran out before everyone ate. We ate off property at Oh Andros Fish Fry and Cafe Matisse, which we'd highly recommend too. It's $15 taxi (each way) to Oh Andros & our service was great, lots of food, and a total bill $45. You do have to pay in cash; no credit cards. Cafe Matisse was $12 taxi each way and 2 mixed drinks, 2 appetizers, 2 dinners & 2 desserts was $190. Yes, 15% gratuity is included automatically but there is no tax. All of our servers were outstanding and definitely deserved their 15%. We did go on a Nassau tour excursion with Majestic Tours that was very informative and used Majestic for airport transfers without any delays or problems. We left for the airport 3 hours before flight and had an hour to eat in airport before boarding plane. All of Atlantis is connected and as reviews say, yes, there's a lot of walking so pack comfortable shoes. We enjoyed the resort, the pools, lazy river, water rides, beach... We did see new "BahaMar" opening Dec. 2014 and hope this brings the prices down... Bahamas beach & water was beautiful and the resort is beautiful but yes, it's costly, but if you plan and go with that expectation, I believe you'll enjoy your trip.

• Stayed May 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The lobby is very nice but the rooms are just okay - peeling wallpaper, old telephones, thin doors, etc.

Our party had 3 rooms booked through Expedia and 3 rooms booked through BookIt. The hotel would NOT honor the Dolphin Cay passes provided by Expedia. They did eventually honor the Taste of Atlantis passes from BookIt, but by the time we received them from the hotel, it was too late to take advantage of them fully.

The pools are very nice and seemingly well maintained.

Buying food on the property is relatively very expensive.

It was my first time in the Bahamas and overall I was very disappointed in the trip and the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Carmel, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

With a group of high school students and families and Atlantis has lots of activities for day and night so with a group of high school kids, nobody gets bored. Atlantis has many water features including multiple pools, the ocean, rafting, huge slides, swim with the dolphins, etc. etc. The restaurants were good (Italian place by the harbor was one of my favorites), but everything is expensive and carries an automatic tip even if you walk up to the pool bar and get your own drink. The casino was always hopping at night and for the younger group (at least 18 yrs old), there was a night club that opened at 10pm that seemed to be on the agenda every day for the kids. The complaints would be 1) that the beach chairs are all located in "close quarters" if you want a chair, otherwise you can find open space and put a towel down on the beach, and 2) we were with a group with reservations to all be in one of the buildings and they separated a couple of us to another building (Coral Towers), 3) the Coral Towers was just OK, the rooms were nothing special especially given the price (and these rooms were an "upgrade" from Beach Towers). If I go with a group again, i'd insist we all go in the same building as per the reservations because Atlantis is spread out and it's a hastle to find the group vs. being in the same area (and wifi, texting didn't seem to work that great). This was my first trip to the Bahamas and I loved the Bahamas atmosphere and experience, and i'd say Atlantis is picturesque.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Maybe the other towers in the Atlantis resort were better,but the Beach Tower is WAY overpriced, very old and not well looked after,particularly the poor standad of rooms. These very ordinary rooms were priced at $550.00 per night, + Resort Fee of $40.00 per room per night + Taxes. In any other place you wouldn't think of paying any more that $150.00 for something like this.
The grounds, swimming pools and beach are very nice,but the hotel does not live up to the standard of the grounds.
Also,my wife contracted Ciguatera Poisoning at one of the Resort owned restaurants, The Seafire restaurant, by eating a very dangerous fish they had on the menu, called GROUPER. We were never warned about the fact that this fish can be extremely toxic and within 8 hours of her eating it, she showed the accute symptoms. It causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and stays in the body for up to a year. We found this out at the hospital which she was interned that next day. With the bill of $1,300.00 we went to complain at the hotel to reclaim our expenses,but this was a week ago, and they haven't even sent an email.
I definitely do not reccommend the Beach Tower at Atlantis,the service is not good and it seems now that they really don't care about their guests at all. So don't bother putting down the EXTRA GRATUITY that they put on every food or bar bill.....It is a complete ripoff!!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose the beach Tower,it is way too overpriced and not well maintained