“Beautiful, But....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
NJ
“Beautiful, But....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

First trip ever to the Bahamas and I took my 3.5yr old son along with my mother, sister, her husband and their 2 kids ages 4 and 2. There is alot they don't tell you upfront that they should especially for first time travelers. First we got a complimentary dolphin experience with our reservation - I tried to book the experience online before we arrived (online the price is advertised as 108$ per person) but you are not allowed to book the complimentary one online. So I called twice and got 2 different answers the final answer saying that the hotel will tell US when to go to the dolphin swim since its complimentary and we would pay for the additional spots so we could all be togther. Now as soon as we checked in we walked over to book the dolphin swim and at the hotel the price is $135 a person instead of 108 and we were also told that we should have booked the others online to get that price and the free one would have been able to go in our group! I was severly upset but this! So I had to spend 135$ per person to do the dolphin swim. Also they have a photographer taking photos - you are not allowed to take your own and the packages are insanly expensive - I am talking the most expensive one being like $350. So thats problem #1 - when you book a dining plan they fail to mention that the 15% gratuity is added on every bill and that it shows up on your room charges - I have no problems paying the gratuity and luckly we realized this 1 day in but I know there are alot of people that are surprised at the end of the trip when they have massive room charges to pay. I will say that the hotel will let youpay the charges daily or whenever you want so I paid our room charges halfway through the week and then again when we checked out. The food to me was just Eh, Ok - I think I was maybe expecting too much for how much we were spending to stay at the hotel, but it was still ok. And with the dining plans they only give you a few select resturants to eat at 2 of them being buffets. The food is EXPENSIVE - which again I knew it would be but it was beyond what I had expected. Also our transfer from the airport to hotel and then back again was not all that great - it was disorganized and even though my family and a bunch of others (all with kids) were standing where we were told they took an entire group of adults first instead of the families with kids which I thought was odd. I would absolutely pay to upgrade to a town car or just take a taxi if I ever went back. The resort is beautiful our room was in the Coral Towers and we had the most fantastic view. The maid on our floor was so super nice - but NOT ALL the employees of the resort were as nice as she was. Some were less than helpful when asking a question and others were the exact opposite. But again I expected more from a hotel operation like Atlantis especially since it was $8.50 for a bottle of water and a bottle of Coke - and they add 15% gratuity to that bill - I expected ALOT more from them. Now I would go back but I would definitely not spend an entire week at the resort, and I would already be aware for how expensive things are there.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better - ours was on the 10th floor and our view was amazing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was dissapointed in that they separated all of us.There was four rooms and all in a different
building.When we were told we would be together. Otherwise we has a great time,staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saint James, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My grand daughter and I stayed at the Royal Towers in February to celebrate her 16th and my birthday. The transportation to the Royal Towers was on time and with Majestic and we had no problems. The resort is beautiful. Staff of hotel were nice and polite and friendly. However there was a major plumbing problem the night we arrived and the hallways were soaked and had suction machines going all night and day to help dry up the carpets. We had to wade our way through each day. That night we had no water at all. No showers, tooth brushing etc. on our first night there. We couldn't reach the desk as all phones were busy. I had to dress and go down to the desk to find that we would have water soon. They were giving out bottled water which was nice. We had no water until the next morning. Then our TV would not show movies and we were charged for one we never saw until I went down to explain and it was taken off the bill.We never were able to see a movie and were told they were having cable trouble. The manager said he was upset it was our birthdays and that he would call us in the morning and "take care of us". We never received a call. When we left I left a note for the manager referring to our problems while there. No answer. I wrote a letter after I got home to Nassau and to Florida. No answer. I called and was told it takes 6 weeks to hear. I is now 3 months. No response. I am not upset about the flood, the lack of water and movies as much as the lack of response to my queries. The rides were great, food great, service good but the public relations is lacking. I won't go back. Just an aside I saw a little boy ask how much the potato chips were and he was told $7.50. At those prices, all letters should be answered. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Room Tip: The Royal Towers is a good pick as it is near everything as long as the gliches we experienced don...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I enoyed our stay at Atlantis. Transfer from airport on Majestic Tour was undesirable, rude driver, shabby bus and long waiting. I took a private cab on the way back. Atlantis staff extremely helpful, pleasant and everyone very polite. The hotel room is standard run of the mill room with no extras for the cost. The water view is definitely a plus, but make sure your room is not over the Seagrapes restaurant as the roof is filthy with bird droppings. This area needs a face lift as like many other areas on the property that could use some maintenance to upkeep the Atlantis name. Ate at a few resturants, the food was good. Overall a good trip and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Select a water view on a high floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonita Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Beach Tower of Atlantis for four days while attending a wedding celebration. The room rate was much less than the advertised rate because of the wedding reservation. Here are some things to consider:
Ask for a high floor with water view, over the pool is best the best view but there is loud music during the day. Pack very comfortable shoes, there is a lot of walking to get around. Spend time on the website to see all that there is to do, have a few plans. Research the shuttle services, they can be cheaper than cabs. Its about a 45 minute ride from the airport, ask the driver to take back roads if traffic is heavy. We used "Dan Knowles" and it worked out fine, but there are others also. Take a water bottle, the tap water is fine to drink. A small cross body bag was helpful to carry room key and sunscreen. When you check in, if your room is not ready, ask for a pass for the lockers and you can change and shower there. Your key is like a charge card, know that every time you use it there is an automatic 15% gratuity added in. Might be cheaper to use a credit card, but only if there is not an international charge on your card. Many of the bars and snack shacks don't take cash. There is in-room coffee. The pools have music, find the one that plays the kind you enjoy because it is loud. The beach has chairs for free. There are little life jackets available to borrow for little kids. Local vendors walk the beach selling stuff; cigars, beads, coconut drinks, boat rides, etc. They are not connected to the hotel and can be quite annoying. US money works everywhere. Food is very expensive everywhere on an island, even more so at the resort. Just outside the entrance is a Dunkin Donuts, a liquor store, and a very small grocery. A quick and easy walk from the Beach tower, the Coral tower, and Harborside. Taxis across the bridge start at $15.00 for three people for a very short ride. There is so much to do that you don't really need to leave the resort, the trip into Nassau can be expensive by taxi, or you can walk across the bridge and take the bus to the mall and downtown. Traffic can be very heavy and if there are cruise ships in port it's extremely crowded. Lots of t-shirt type stores, really not worth the trouble. The Beach Tower is the "economy" part of the resort, it's in great need of a redo. In fact, a good part of the resort needs attention, there were many "out of order" signs. The room was clean and comfortable, wallpaper was peeling, the couch stained and torn in spots. The housecleaning staff is great, dont forget to show your appreciation for the work they do! If I were to go back I'd look at one of the other towers. The water park is very fun, the Raging River and the slides provide a good day of entertainment. You can get on and off in a number of places. Know which slide you want, there are many, some more of a drop than others, and the people working the rides weren't helpful. Best to talk to people around the pools. The aquarium is interesting, watching the feelings is worth scheduling. The new resort scheduled to open next year will definitely give them serious competition. The wedding was beautiful, held in a gazebo on the ocean, followed by a reception in an outdoor section of the "Sea grapes" restaurant.

Room Tip: Request a high floor with water view. The suite was worth the price. Extra room, 2 TVs, small frid...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The airport transportation took over an hour of waiting and then another 40 minutes to get us to our hotel. Dan knowles sucks. Alot of people were upset and the driver put us at risk. The beach tower is very far from the water park and far from most restaurants. The other towers are beautiful. The aquarium is nice but nothing to brag about. The food plan sucks and doesn't include lunch or snacks or drinks. Lunch for me and my 4 year old would cost me 100 on the value plan. The beach is big and the water is beautiful. The tropical fish swim right up to you on the beach. The activities are extremely expensive and could barely do any because of this. The staff did not go out of their way to help at all. The view was horrid from our hotel. I can't say I would go to Atlantis beaches hotel again due to the over pricing, the bad service to and from the airport and the location of beach tower sucks.

The waterpark was the best part about the trip, there is so much to do and so many pools you could never get bored. My son and I had a great time at the waterpark. There were people trying to sell drugs on the beach. And even though I was walking with my child they still asked.

My son enjoyed his stay which is what counts.

Still looking for a great vacation to come to every year with no worries.

• Stayed June 2012
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

After reading many reviews both good and bad we booked a family vacation at the Beach Tower. We travelled with our 4 and 1.5 year old sons. Our room was an ocean view, overlooking the pool also, it was clean, had comfortable beds but just a little dated - could use new carpet - but you get what you pay for. We ordered some Milk, Juice boxes, ham, cheese, case of water, snacks etc from an online grocerery store - foodstore2go - they delivered to the hotel and we put the food in the mini bar which was empty - we were supposed to get a fridge at $15 a night but after much confusion they said they could not give us one and to use the mini bar which when we booked we were told we could not as it was full.

The kids ate breakfast in the room as we brought cherios, peaches, granola bars etc from home and I got starbucks and brought back to the room. Yes it is a far walk to the water parks but we new this and don't mind walking the 10-15 minutes each way so we packed a cooler with water, drinks, and some beer and snacks and heading out for the day. The stroller was key to transport both the kids and the gear.

We ate lunch most days at the kids water park - was reasonable and had items the kids would eat also. The kids absolutely loved the water park we spent 4-5 hours a day there and they loved the amazing aquariams at the dig. Right at the beach tower there is a turtle pond with daily feedings the kids took part in, as well as feedings and touching of the sting rays, was a real hit!! There is a tunnel with aquariums and a zero entry pool, and a lazy river, so lots for kids to do around the beach tower.

Tips - liquor store 2 minute walk from Coral Tower - beer $2.25, good selection of wine - also a dunkin donuts and grocery store there.

Beer on resort $6.50, Drink $10, chocolate bar $2.90, can of pop $3.50, water $3.50 small bottle - that is why we ordered water at foodstore2go - $17 for case of 40

Food was okay nothing great - fairly expensive - we couldn't do the finer dining places with the kids so can't comment on them. We had kids eat free - for supper - so that was okay. Good restaurants were Anthony's, Murray's Deli, Marina Pizza, Seagrapes Buffet was okay. Did not like Bimini Road - we ate fairly early with the kids 5-6pm so crowds were not an issue.

The staff was polite and we had no issue's with them - other than our fridge issue, they just do not move too fast - must be on island time.

We did notice that the more expensive, and nicer Royal Tower many rooms did not have balcony's - so if you have kids watch out for this as we sat on our balcony every night when kids went to sleep and had some drinks. We read reviews that said stay at Coral Tower - yes it is 5 minutes closer but not as much around it for kids as the Beach Tower.

The Dolphin Cay - is not what we thought - you are far away to view unless you pay for kids to take part in, we may next time but the kids were too young this time.

All said this is a great place for kids with lots to do if they like the water and aquariums and ponds, they saw Mantha Ray's, stingrays, sharks, turtle's etc.

We will return and will probably stay in the Beach Tower again - but must have Ocean View Room on one of the higher floors like this time - it is a must!! All said and done the holiday cost about $1,000 per day. You will not be able to do it much cheaper!!

Room Tip: Beach Tower - Higher Floor, Ocean View is a must!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlantis - Beach Tower? Share your experiences!