“Unbelievable experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Salem, Massachusetts
“Unbelievable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

If you want to just stay on one resort and never leave with great restaurants and activities this is the place for you. Kids will love the water slides, (adults too), and lazy river. Every restaurnat we ate at was great. Loved the Dolphin Cove, well worth the money! You must bring a backpack cooler and bring your own drinks to the pool area. drinks are expensive.

An absolutely unbelievable experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just returned from Atlantis Beach resort. We travelled 3/1 - 3/6 with 3 boys ages 8,6 and 4. The weather was anything but ideal but this review won't focus on what can't be controlled. Having read multiple good, bad and mediocre reviews, I've come to this conclusion: Your expectations are generally set by how much you spend to stay there. That said, I got a really good deal so it met my expectations. Had I spent more, I would've been disappointed.

The good
1) Aquadventure is fantastic. There's lots to do for children and adults of all ages. They are very strict about the 48" height restriction though so beware. Children under 48" will have limited access to slides.
2) Unlike previous posts, I found the restrooms to be clean and maintained well beyond my expectations. The resort was far from full when I was there so there may be a direct correlation there.
3) The staff was excellent. I only came across a few individuals that were less than friendly. Hats off to the staff. They were really wonderful. Special shout out to Vanessa and the Coral towers check in desk.
4) Marina Pizza was best value at $7 for a slice of pizza. At least it was good. My husband loves the Bahamian Spice pizza. Go next door to the delicatessen for Kalik Gold beer to go instead of the cans at Marina Pizza but don't eat there.
5) The Dig aquarium is fantastic.

The bad
1) The beach resort is run down - peeling walpaper, dripping showers, drawers that don't close fully - things like that. Services are very limited in the beach resort as well - there is no check in desk so you much check in in the Coral building. Cabs in front of beach aren't regulated like the ones at Coral so when going to the airport, you need to trek back to Coral. There are limited activities, everything 'going on' is over at Coral and Royal Towers.
2) Price of food is really as bad as everyone says. Bottles of water are $7, hagen daaz ice cream bar $7, kids grilled cheese with bag of chips and soft drink $10 starts to seem like a deal. Even though we had the kids eat free plan, we didn't eat in the 'nicer' restaurants as they were still soooo expensive and I read the quality of food wasn't great. Furthermore, taking my 3 boys to an expensive restaurant isn't necessarily a fun time for me.
2) Lack of food choices for kids on the kids eat free plan. If you're on that plan, beware that the kids must order off the kids menu which consists mainly of burger with fries, hot dog with fries, chicken nuggets with fries, fish sticks with fries. After a few days, my kids were sick of it. We found one restaurant that had pasta with red sauce on it for $14 but I can't remember which restaurant.
3) Long waits at restaurants. Be prepared to wait in long lines if you don't have a reservation. Also, many of the restaurants close on Mondays. At Bimini Road, beware that entrees seemed to be a la carte. The menu didn't say anything so when I ordered the $30 marinated chicken, I was surprised to just get a plate of two pieces of chicken and nothing else. The waiter never said anything or I would have ordered a side or two. Good thing I had all those fries my kids didn't want!
4) The shallow water dolphin encounter at Dolphin Cay was great but way overpriced. If money's no object, go for it. It's $150 per person and kids under 13 need and adult escort. And they are sure to position you with the dolphins for photos where no one on land can get a shot so they can sell you insanely overpriced pics which you probably will buy. $70 for two 5x7's and 3 4x6 photos. Criminal. No cameras allowed in the water so you have no choice.
One last thing, this encounter takes a long time. It will likely eat up 2 - 3 hours - not a bad thing but just know that. Had I known, I would have scheduled it later in the afternoon so I could have had more time in Aquadventure which closes at 5.
5) Tried Murray's Delicatessen but found food pretty bad. My kids who love fish sticks wouldn't touch their meals and my husband said they were way overcooked. My sandwich was blah. Equivalent to a bad diner meal. I wouldn't recommend it.

Tips
1) Don't stay in the beach resort if traveling with young kids. It is very far from everything. We ended up planning for the entire day when leaving the room just to avoid the hike back. When I forgot something, I did without.
2) For the beer drinkers - go with Kalik Gold (not the regular Kalik) - 7% alcohol by volume and tasty.
3) Beware the Pirate Museum hours. We were told by multiple people it was open on Sunday. We went to Nassau and arrived there at 12:15 only to find they close at 12:30 and stop letting people in at noon. Nice. Went to Sharkies for food and cocktails instead. Sharkies was good but found a staple in the bottom of my souvenir yard cup when I got back to the hotel.
4) Kids loved the Speedway. It's outrageously expensive at $25 per child for 15 minutes of racing but they loved it and given the cold rainy weather, we were grateful for an indoor activity.
5) Pack food, juice boxes and a small cooler. This saved my sanity and a big chunk of change. My kids are early risers so getting out of bed at 7am to go to a $100 breakfast is not my idea of vacation. I packed cereals, bagels, butter, ham slices, cheese sticks, chips, cookies, etc. We stopped at the grocery store and liquor store on the way from the airport and picked up fruit, milk, a case of water, beer and wine. We lucked out that the fridge in our room was empty so we used that but if it wasn't we would have managed with the cooler and ice from the hotel. I had packed plastic bowels, spoons, etc which allowed my kids to eat breakfast every morning in the room and me to sleep in. It also came in handy when they were sick of fried foods which was all that was on the kids menus. Also, many of the food places in Aquadventure only have water and carbonated soda. My 4 year old doesn't drink soda so having juice boxes was ideal. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but it worked for me.
6) wifi is free at the Dunkin Donuts across from Marina Village which is close to Coral Tower. Service can be spotty but I heard the $20/day internet at the hotel was just as bad. It worked great for us for just checking in.
7) Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. We left the hotel at 11:45 am and didn't get to the airport almost 1pm.
8) Next time I go I'll stay at Coral towers for Royal towers where all the action is.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email with questions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Scituate, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Plenty of fun to be had indoors since the weather was cool, windy and rainy. Brought our kids (2 & 5) for a long weekend. While there were plenty of other families there with young kids, I wish we waited until our kids were a bit older to go. Height requirement for water slides 48" and the kids activities start at age 3. That said, we never got bored with the amazing aquarium, the great variety of restaurants and the spa (I had to get a little "me" time). Plan on going back in 5 years when we can all take advantage if the many wonderful things to do. Will go later in the spring too in hopes of better weather.

• Stayed March 2013
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

awesome!
breakfast buffets are awesome!! 15% gratuity (tip) for all buffets and restaurants.
had an awesome time!!
alot of things to do.
close to the pool and beach.
great view of the beach.
not the nicest hotel but very good!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Atlantis, Paradise Island. We paid to stay in the beach tower, but were upgraded to the Coral Towers. The Room was fantastic, plenty of space, nice big bathrooms and a balcony with a view of the resort/ocean. We had room service breakfast almost every morning and ate on our balcony. The hotel exceeded my expectations, after reading so many mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. Everything was clean and well maintained. There were staff everywhere cleaning and landscaping. The casino was bigger than I expected, we spend most of our evening in the casino. I was awarded with 75 dollars free slot play at the end of the trip. The waterpark was great, we conquered all the slides and the rapid river ride was so enjoyable, i think we did it at least 6 times. The waterpark wasn't busy either, we never really had to wait in line for any of the slides. There were tons of lockers still available as well and we didn't get there until noon. We ate at the Marina Village numerous times during our stay, in which we never had a bad meal there. We booked our trip with Westjet Vacations, and we didn't have any fees added onto our room at checkout, so the maid gratuity, bellhop gratuity and other fees people are talking about only apply when booking directly through the hotel itself. My only complaint is that there is no outside bar at nighttime. We were looking for a place on the resort where we could have some drinks and be outside at night and couldn't find anything. The pools were fantastic and the water was very warm. I don't think 7 days was long enough, as there was still so much more to do and see. I would definately return to this resort again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

overall this wing of the hotel was just OK, it was an old building and it was far away from most of the attractions,
but the main and the new building was great, the pool was great , and there was lots to do if you a travelling with kiddos,
very very very expensive to eat and do anything there , make sure to go out of the hotel to do most of your shopping and dinning

Room Tip: eat all your meals outside of the hotel ,