“For a 5 Star Resort it is lacking in many areas” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 60% + Kids Eat Free
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Parker, Colorado
“For a 5 Star Resort it is lacking in many areas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have stayed at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island (aka Hog Island to the Natives) in the Cove, the all Suites Tower. When you go to this place and pay $750 to $850 per night you would think the Maid would clean your room and make your bed included in that price. Don't be fooled it is an extra $80 each day and they do not tell you that until you check out. Ok they do that at Motel 6 for no charge. Unless your very rich and dont care about money, be prepared to pay $70 for breakfast at the Buffet in the building, plus 18% gratuity (whether you get good or bad service) and the "waiters only bring you coffe, juice etc. why should you pay that kind of tip for that? They should carry your plate around while you pick your food. Yes they have everything you can think of available on that Buffet, but how many eggs can one person eat, certainly not $70 worth, and the food is tolerable at best, thay cannot even cook eggs without burning them, or under cooking them. Most other "hot" items are cold, except the items noone is eating, like fish stew for Breakfast??
If you decide to go to the Adult Pool, be prepared to be at the mercy of the guy at the DJ booth. He will play what ever he wants, and as load as he wants, usually it is Rap and the like and very load with heavy bass that will give you a headache in minutes. Shouldn't they be playing Island Music? Seems more appropriate to me. I was there to relax and get away, not be bombarded with loud Rap Music. Even when you ask the Person in charge to have it lowered or changed, the response is - people like it. What?? We went to the Ocean Beach, far away from this horrible sound, and you could still hear the loud bass pounding through your head like a hammer. This was my 3rd trip to Atlantis, and it is going down hill in a fast way. Don't get me wrong it is beautiful, and there are a lot of things to do, but come on $5 for bottled water and several attractions have a fee.
If you venture to the Casino, don't even think about getting a drink, they are free but you can order 3 times over and never see that person again unless you track them down. We were there on a Saturday night, I decided to go to the Bar and get my own drink, guess what - they had a cover charge to get to the bar that was not even behind walls.
I understand going to a nice Resort and paying for that, but the nickle and dime crap for eveything, really?
I have been to some of the nicest Resorts in the world and never encountered this kind of rip off. Once you pay your $850 a night for a Suite that really isnt that nice, it is average - (plus your Maid fee $80 per day) you expect more, and not be taken to the cleaners just because you need some water or a bite to eat.
So unless you dont care what you pay, have plenty of free cash DONT GO TO ATLANTIS.. Mexico is Much better, Nicer people and great Resorts where you are treated like a King, and guess what - NO Maid fees, you can tip them for a good job and that is the way it should be.
Sorry Atlantis, you are not on our radar for another visit.

Room Tip: Choose a differt Resort Destination
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Grand Cayman
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Go somewhere else…
I had very high expectations for the resort. However I have to agree with most of the reviews regarding the hotel condition.
I don’t mind the prices as it is what you expect in a beach resort, neither have I minded the distance you have to walk to get to the main part of the resort…. What I can’t stand is how dirty the room was … hairs in the bathroom and empty coke bottles in the balcony.
The aquarium is nice and it’s amazing seeing the big ray (Poseidon) along with his female sister (Athenea) swimming around.
Here is a review of some of the activities we did
*Snorkel the ruins – Rip off! You get to be in the water around 30 minutes and the price is $99. While it is amazing to be surrounded by so many fishes they don’t let you submerge, neither roam freely.
* Behind the myth – It was ok. We got to learn about the Atlantis and all the details they have in the hotel to make reference to the myth. Trevel was very knowledge and he was one of the few employees who were genuinely friendly. The tour ends up in the area where they take care of the sick animals… it was nice to see what they do in order to help them.
* Adults activities – Tacky! One bingo that last for 10 minutes and the free art & crafts was doing stuff for Halloween (that was 2 weeks ago)
Pools are ok, but good luck trying to find space to sit in the main pool, people leaves their belongings and leave the area for hours at the time, and then you have the constant never ending flow of cruise ships passengers who get a one day pass.
Not much to say about the restaurants, I feel the sushi one was overpriced but the quality was there. The steakhouse has one of the worse service I have ever experienced.
If you go to the Marina area, look for Rommel, friendliest Bahamian ever!!!! He is the one selling palm leaves crafts….
Some of the areas have a bad smell (turtle pond). And the people smoking EVERYWHERE are way too annoying.
Service was not the best, some employees acted as they were doing a favor helping me.
So, in shorts words, go and make the best out of it, just don’t have high expectations… you’ll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the Beach Tower. Smells moldy!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
washington dc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just returned, Atlantis is overrated. We stayed at Comfort Suites, which allows access to Atlantis and its pool/beach activities. They have some large sea-life (for instance a praying mantis with at least 20-foot span and a 300 pound grouper) that are kept in a narrow and too-small tank.

We stood in line for the Mayan Tomb water slide for about 10-15 minutes, only to get to the top of the (less than a minute ride) to be told the ride was closed because they were going to start making a commercial. Ahead of me, was a little girl who had just had been told to sit on the slide in anticipation of going down.

In the grand scheme of things, the wait time wasn't ridiculous, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt that the management cared more about making $$, instead of ensuring that guests had a good experience. Closing the ride in that manner when we were at the top after waiting was unneccessary avoidable. Atlantis could have allowed guests already in line to take the ride, they could warned us while waiting that they may have to stop the ride. The employees and supervisory management were more concerned with their commercial to care.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ridgewood, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here for March 2012 and was an enjoyable stay.. Me and my GF got a good deal booking directly through the hotel directly ( a little over $200 a night). The room was ocean front and we we must of been upgraded upon check-in because our room and a living room area and a bedroom area Thank You Front Desk Agent!!! It was my birthday week might of helped...Room was a little outdated but did not bother us because it was very clean and our housekeeper throughout our stay was very good in helping us keep it clean... The view was amazing plus we had two balconies.. The beach tower is not located bad as the over reviews say...Yes you may have to walk a little Stop being lazy people.. A beach is located right near the hotel, but heads up people there are a lot of locals tring to convince you to buy stuff.. A better beach also on the hotel property is located near the cove tower..It is so beautiful and NO people tring to sell you stuff. It is a little bit of a walk for this tower but it so worth it.. I went snorkling there and saw some fish and the water at this beach is much calmer than the beach outside the beach tower.. Now for dinner its not that it expensive.. Its just that your eating out every single night.. I am from New York so I am used to these prices and did not feel as if i was over paying. I ate at few restaurants I forget since it's been a while ,but no bad reviews on any... We did the breakfast buffet in the beach tower which is delicous...Def worth the money...Watersides were all great.. Lot's of fun.. My faviorte ride was the rapid river..Was a little wild after a few drinks... There is a shopping center right outside the hotel where you can buy some snacks and liquor/beer to help cut costs a little during your trip... I am a big traveler so more reviews are coming your way...

Room Tip: Ocean Front.. Pay it stop being cheap and hoping for a free upgrade..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I wanted to let everyone know that this trip was THE most expensive trip we have ever taken. When we got a "stay 3 nights get 1 free" deal, I thought it was a good thing so I booked it. Little did I know that you pay for everything at an extremely high rate.Here are a few examples: Each day you must pay $20 for wi-fi. The fitness center was $15/per person/per day. The food was so pricey we could not believe it! For example,the buffet for breakfast was $36 per adult(12 and up) and $24 per child. There is a Dunkin Donuts across the street for those of you already booked to go.Just thought travelers should be aware. We are certainly not rich but this place made us poor:(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Resort had many activities. There were numerous pools and grounds to explore. Our favorite unique activity was being able to walk the aquariums every night and see all the sea creatures. We got the meal plan. I would say it saved us money. I can't remember how much the math came to but we did decide it was more economical. The meals were buffet but I was very satisfied with quality and selection. Be prepared to pay top dollar for soft drinks, sunscreen, snacks! We probably spent 100.00 daily on drinks at the pool for the three of us, our son had sodas and water and a few cocktails for husband and I at least $100 a day!

• Stayed June 2012
Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

was there during hurrcane sandy.....staff not helpful at all....rooms just ok meal plan a rip off they add 15% to your bill anyway and charge you $10 a day perperson for maid service. Pools were closed, everything looked old and dated. Needs a face lift. The hallway smelled like mold,like a basement.will not be coming back.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ everything $9.00 for a bottle of water

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Atlantis - Beach Tower? Share your experiences!