“Bumpy Start but the rest FANTASTIC” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book direct and save 15%
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Altamonte Springs, Florida, United States
“Bumpy Start but the rest FANTASTIC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to take a beach vacation before returning to work in the New Year. We stayed Jan 4th-8th 2013.

Upon arrival to the hotel we were checked in quickly. The bell hop and the front desk attendant was very kind. We get up to our room and I was quickly disappointed. The bathroom wasn't cleaned. The bed felt sagged in and beat up. The floors weren't cleaned. I actually started to cry cause our flight was delayed by several hours and all I wanted to do was rest for a bit. My bf called down to the front desk and explained the situation and within 20 mins we were transferred. I think it was a honest mistake because the transferred room was the exact same size as the other room (we didn't get an upgrade) but it was immaculate. It was a complete difference from where we had been placed in prior.

After dealing with the initial "woah, what did we get into?" We were pleased with our stay throughout the entire time. The food was good. My bf is a breakfast guy and enjoyed the omelet station and stacks of bacon available. I'm sure there was other food available but that's all he talked about. I on the other hand, am a later meal kind of girl and the Wahoo grill with TVs & american style food selection hit the spot for lunch. Wings, burgers, etc.. and the bartenders making stiff drinks -- I was happy. For dinner, we ate twice at Harbourview Restaurant. The food was so amazing. The chowder, coffee rubbed steak with blue cheese, and the snapper-- OH MY WORD. LOVED IT! We ate once at the buffet place and it did the job. The food was fresh and there was plenty of it. *If our room had a microwave, I would have fixed a plate for later (I start the day late and then am starving later) but there wasn't & I couldn't do that so I actually went hungry one late night. Just having soup or something available after 10pm would have been a joy. Hopefully they will do something about that if enough people ask.

The pool was one of the prettiest I had seen. REALLY. The layout of it, the bridge, the presumed adults area near the bar-- it was very nice. Kids that were staying at the resort during our stay tended to stay near the end of the pool near the beach. The center portion of the pool was used by people laying out and sleeping. The end of the pool near the bar had adults being loud and drinking. It seemed to be a natural set up either by the resort or perhaps the patrons themselves but it worked out really well.

They had activities personnel that really knew how to engage the crowd. There was dancing in the lobby almost every evening we stayed and there was trivIa games. Typically I avoid that kind of thing but even they were able to draw my cold heart into it. LOL. The bar in the lobby is where the adults gather until 2am. There is one TV but you really get engaged in conversation with fellow travelers and before you know it, it's closing time. It has a nice, welcoming vibe. Really enjoyed the staff working that bar.

Overall experience: POSITIVE. I like the smaller resort feel so I had no desire to try out Atlantis. I laid out by the pool, drank to my liver couldn't handle it anymore, ate until I was full, and relaxed. Exactly how I wanted to spend my vacation.

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had a wonderful relaxing stay at the resort. It is located on the south side of the Island walking distance to casio shops and bigger beach on the north side. The rooms were large , clean with a fantastic view of the hourbour. We were on the 12th floor facing east, no balcony, picture window with fantastic view looking at beautiful residential area and both habours, with great looking boats. The hotel staff was very friendly and the food was beyond our expectations, nice variety evey day and everything fresh. A la card restaurant had a great menue with realy good food. The bar at the pool mixed great Bahamian drinks plus other. It also served variety of great light meals. Lobby bar had intertainment daily round 8:30 pm. The pool area and the beach was very nice especially on windy days in the winter temparature 77-80 and January that great. Love to go back soon again. B&H Waterloo, Ontario Canada Jan20-27/13

Room Tip: Pay extra for side water view facing east higher floor with million dollar view. Do not pick the wes...
Elkader, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My girlfriends & I went to this hotel for a 7 day fun in the sun trip. This hotel should have been condemned a long time ago. We arrived & went to our room only to find it filthy & moldy & smelly. They put us in another room , it was a little better, so thinking all rooms were like this we stayed in that room. There was mold on shower curtain & tub. After taking a shower & walkin in room, our feet were soo dirty. On our last stay in room we were encountered by a mouse that ran in a hole in the bathroom wall. We went down & they were very friendly & going to put us up in a balcony room,(why they didnt do that to begin with?)we said we are leaving now. They told us someone had bought resort & were making it into gold star resort. I will not stay there again unless they send me a freebie when they do. The staff was very friendly & I would go there again because of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lorenzo S, Manager at Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Paradise Island, Nassau, Bahamas. We appreciate the time you devoted to assists us in our efforts to continually improve and address specific guest issues.

All of us at Paradise Island Harbour Resort strive to provide an enjoyable and relaxing guest experience and we were disappointed to learn that you and your girlfirend encountered many shortcomings during your stay. This is certainly not the type of service we base our reputation on, and I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration these problems may have caused you. I have reviewed your posting with all the pertinent department managers to address all the items of your concern. We appreciate your business, and hope your travels return you to our door once again.
Wilton, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay and we were well aware of the reviews (both positive and negative) before booking our trip. The positives, the staff went above and beyond expectations to make all the guests feel special, the alcoholic drinks were better than most all inclusive resorts and the wine was drinkable, the breakfasts were good, Alfred, one of the tour directors, directed us to a snorkeling trip with lunch and games on Rosé island. The negatives, after two days we switched rooms because of water leakage in the bathroom, our view which faced west overlooked a container and storage parking lot, the pool was so cold (even for children) along with the jacuzzi (that did not work) hardly anyone went into the water, the very small man-made beach is a poor excuse for a beach, the food was marginal at most. Although every night was a different food theme night, it all tasted the same, so we made sure we started off with soup, which were good and ended with deserts, which were also good. We dined at the "exclusive restaurant" twice, the first night the food was above par, the second night the food was so bad that we went to the main dinning room and again had soup. If it wasn't for our day trips to Atlantis, having a lot of fun at the adventure water park, swimming in heated pools, visiting the aquarium ( twice, it's free after 6:30pm or if you have tickets to the water park) and dinning in their village, we would have left Paradise Island with an extremely negative feeling.

Room Tip: I can not say anything positive about the rooms, and don't get a room next to the elevators beca...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorenzo S, General Manager at Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive, responded to this review, January 31, 2013

All of us at Paradise Island Harbour Resort strive to provide an enjoyable and relaxing guest experience and we were disappointed to learn that you encountered many shortcomings during your stay. This is certainly not the type of service we base our reputation on, and I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration these problems may have caused you. I have reviewed your posting with all the pertinent department managers to address all the items of your concern. We appreciate your business, and hope your travels return you to our door.
Chocowinity, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My family and friends took a trip there and we had a great time! The food and drinks were fantastic and the staff were all very professional and warm. Mr Alfred M. aka"Big Al" made our trip well worth it! He made us feel safe and gave us a helpful insight to the island and with a group of 8 women, safety matters! Big Al also made my mother and Aunt feel so welcome and relaxed! We are very thankful that he was there to assist us while we were there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you are looking for 5 star accommodations with snobby staff go somewhere else. If you are looking for a place where you are treated like family...this is the place. I can's name all the staff but they new my name by the second day. Nothing we asked for was to much and they made sure we got the best excursions. The price was right. The food was great and the drinks were plenty. They are renovating piece by piece so as not to disturb the guest. Shelly, Douglas and Michelle were great. Tara and Darryl

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was pleasantly surprising. No, the bathroom and rooms are not updated but the beds were comfortable and the water was hot. The resort staff was amazingly nice! You could talk to them about whatever and they were very helpful. My friend and I stayed from Jan 16th- Jan 20th so the resort was not busy. We are in our mid-20s and we partied every night. We still made it to breakfast and participated in the resort activities. There were very few kids (like 2 or 3) running around but there were mostly groups of friends, couples and even a few solo travelers. I was told to avoid during spring break because a lot of the outside activities (such as booze cruise) will shut down during that time.

Check in/Check Out- No issues, showed id, paid a hold and checked out with ease

Staff- Once again the staff is the best, very helpful, nice and had suggestions on what to do each day we stayed.

Room- Ok, so the room had a slightly smell to it and the fixtures in the bathroom could use some updates. But the bed was so comfy. So comfy that I am ashamed to say I fell asleep the first night instead of partying. The tv worked, the shower was hot and the lights works. That's all I need. FYI: If you turn the shower on "HOT" and the water comes out cold, turn it to "COLD" and you will get your hot water.

Property- The property was cool. Pool and view of the Harbour was beautiful. Sean was the activity director and always had an upbeat spirit.

Food/Drinks- Food was great. I def recommend making reservations at the hotels only formal restaurant. The food was so good there since it was made to order. The breakfast, lunch, and dinner was also good at the buffet and pool side bar. The drinks were fantastic. Do not be discouraged when they say "house brand liquor" because the bartenders know how to mix a good drink. Shelly the bartender was the best!!

Overall, if you are looking to eat, drink, meet fun people, and explore the Bahamas, stay here. Not 4/5 star at all but it was comfortable. Atlantis is a short walk from the resort so gambling or using the facilities there is easy without a taxi. The ferry to downtown and back cost $4 each way and closes at 6. The dock is a short walk from the resort. You can get a taxi for about $4- $5 each person if you have a group of 4 or more and of course they are available all night.

But If you are looking for Vegas or don't plan on exploring the Bahamas every day like I did, stay at more costly Atlantis. I'll be happy to answer any more questions about my experience.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor. I choose island view and still got a view of the ocean and the island since it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive? Share your experiences!