“Everything Went Better Than Expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive to your Saves list
Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | * Closed for renovations until 2015 *, New Providence Island   |
New York, NY
“Everything Went Better Than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

First off..take all of the earlier reviews with a grain of salt. The resort was recently purchased by Warwick International and have already made changes and have set plans to upgrade the resort starting this spring. This resort caters to those who don't want to stay at the Atlantis. If you are looking for a mega-resort that resembles a Las Vegas hotel, move on and look at another resort. However, if you are looking for a budget-minded resort with friendly staff, free food and drinks.. you have come to the right place.

Taxi - We (4 people) took a taxi both ways to the hotel and it cost $42 each way. Once on the island, everything is no more than a 10 minute walk. No Car needed.

First Impressions - We arrived at the hotel and was welcomed with a Bahama Mama cocktail from the bellhop. We arrived early (1pm), so our room was not ready. However, we were able to check -in and receive our wristbands to start our all-inclusive options.

Hotel Room - We had a island view room (501). We have nice view of the Atlantis. While the room is a little rundown, it was appropriately sized and served its purpose. You are on vacation.. why would you be so concerned with the room? The bathroom is a little small, but I am used to it by NYC standards.

Food/Drink - The bars (Wahoo's Poolside and Spinnakers Lobby) start serving drinks at 11am and close at 1am. We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and dinner (different theme each night). For lunch, we ordered from the Wahoo's and enjoyed it by the pool. The hotel also has a sit down restaurant (Harbourview). You just need a reservation and can make one in the morning at the buffet. We enjoyed a delicious New Years Eve dinner at Harbourview.

Pool/Beach - The hotel has a great pool. The man-made beach is so-so. The hotel faces Nassau, so you don't get that crystal blue water and gorgeous view. However, if you take the 10 minute walk to the other side of the island, you will reach Cabbage Beach (public). When you enter the beach, you will be bombarded with vendors and people from the cruise ships (their towels gives it away).. go right and walk past the crowd. You will see there is a large section of the beach that is somewhat empty. If you are in the mood for a drink.. a rum-filled cocktails just cost $10.

Atlantis - Yes, the resort looks amazing. However, when you enter the resort, you feel like you are in Las Vegas.. not very Bahamian. If you arrive at 6:30pm, the aquarium is free to view. I highly recommend it. While you are there, there is a decent casino that serves free drinks while you gamble. Make sure to take a walk by the marina to view the yachts that docked. When you are near the marina, there is a small strip of stores. There is a Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks, a candy store, and a high end Seafood Restaurent. Its a quick walk from the Harbour Resort.

Shopping - Just take a left out of the resort and you will hit a small shopping center. There is a straw market open from 9-6pm daily, a bank (Scotia Bank), grocery store, pharmacy, liquor store, gift shop, and a Dunkin Donuts.

New Years -Throughout the day there was hourly activities.. poker, checkers, karaoke, bingo. However, what impressed me the most about the resort was the nightly entertainment. We were fortunate to be there for New Years and boy they did not disappoint. The night started with a live band that played for until 10:30pm. Soon after, there were a number of live dancers that entertained us till the ball dropped. After the ball dropped, a group of Junkanoo performers entered the hotel and lead us to the pool area where we watched fireworks from three different locations. It was amazing! The hotel really put a lot of time and energy into the night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
OKC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

"Managing expectations" is a big key to many aspects of life. Vacationing is no different. We are a well traveled family (Antigua, Mexico, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, and others) and have stayed in some very nice resorts (including other all-inclusive), as well as, some pretty plain hotels. It all depends on the reason for the trip. For this trip we were looking for anywhere warm, with beautiful waters and beach, without spending a fortune (would rather spend the same money on two trips instead of one).

This was our first time to the Bahamas, but other family had been there multiple times. We didn't want to spend the money for the Atlantis and the Comfort Inn was booked (it gives you access to the Atlantis, for less $). We have stayed at several Riu properties, but it was booked as well.

Now the Paradise Island Harbour Resort. It is an older property, nothing fancy. As the name indicates, it is on the Harbour side, with boats (from yachts to cargo ships) going by all the time. We liked seeing most of the ships, but if you want to overlook the blue ocean you will be disappointed. The staff was very pleasant and polite. You always hear "thank you for coming to the Bahamas." That being said, they call it "island time" for a reason. After all that is one reason you go there right? Just realize, if you are use to the service at a resort in the Yucatan they are no where close. Other Bahamian resorts might be different, but this has been my experience in the Caribbean. It's just a slower, laid back pace. The rooms are OK, the bathrooms a little small and need an upgrade. The balcony rooms overlook the pool and harbour side, probably only 40 or so balcony rooms total. The big negative about having a balcony room is the noise at night. They had a live band one night and a DJ another. The music goes until 11:00 pm. Let's just say the music inside our room (8th floor) was louder than if we would have been playing the music in our own room. Being forced to listen to "DJ Slick Rick" until 11:15 while trying to relax on vacation was less than desirable. The need to have a seperate place for the music, without bother others who don't want it.

Beach access: There is beach access, with a pretty simple 10 minute walk. It is located to the south side of the Riu. Beautiful waters and sand! Many people will be there to offer you chairs, umbrellas, jet ski, and other water sports. If you are interested, great, if not just say "no thank you" and they are fine with it. We would go over to the main beach after breakfast, then come back to the resort for a late lunch, then get more sun time at our resort. (just grab some fruit to hold you over).

Food: We were actually impressed with the food. The taste was pretty good of everything we ate, with a pretty good salad bar. The pool grill was OK for basic fried food (recommend trying the Conch Fritters). The main buffet room is not fancy, like the rest of the resort. At night, the reservation restaurant was very good. We had the prime rib, pasta, and roasted chicken. It was all very good.

Summary: The resort is about a 25 minute cab ride from the airport. Cost us $45 (for 4 people) + $5 tip. We were glad we stayed on Paradise Island verses on the Nassau side, but wouldn't be afraid to stay there either. Did travel over to the straw market, queen's stairs, and a fort. A water taxi was fun to take across the harbour. It is located under the north bridge ($8/person round trip). If you're a beach person (likely if going to the Bahamas) plan on walking over by the Riu. It gets a little crowded when all the cruise ships port in. Walk south of the hotels along the beach for more seclusion if you like. We felt very safe the entire trip. After 6pm the aquarium is free at the Atlantis, for a cheap fun night. If you are willing to spend another 1K-1500, would probably upgrade to another resort. If money is tight, the Paradise Island Harbour Resort should fit the bill. For us the resort was the cheapest of all hotels and included all the food. That being considered we were happy with our choice. It was somewhere in between average and very good. We had a great trip, but still prefer Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. What a blessing it was to go. Travel on!

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room. The ones that end in "15" on each floor are a little bigger and ha...
Richmond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We paid $50 per person for three adults as a shore excursion as part of a Carnival Cruise. We didn't get a room here and rated this as an excursion. The "resort" is literally ON the harbour and that is the view that you see from the pool. Your view is industrial ships and large shipping containers. We didn't swim in the harbour...the beach was really tiny and the water can't be clean with all the ships going in an out with their gasoline motors. They said we can walk 10 minutes to get to an ocean beach access, but we didn't bother. Drinks and food were all inclusive but The buffet shut down at 2pm, so you had to eat at the snack bar the rest of the day. The food looked good...but has little taste and the beef stew tasted like out of a can. The salad bar was really very nice and fresh. The drinks were made very weak since after three Bahama Mama's I felt nothing. After only 2 hours of our several hour reservation, we left and walked over to Atlantis Resort and had a wonderful time walking around there before going back to the ship.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Paradise Island Harbour Resort was a good value. It included a beautiful harbor, man-made beach and pool. The service was so-so and so were the rooms. The public areas needed some cleaning and the food was okay. For a budget friendly vacation I was pleased.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

From all of the online reviews I pretty much expected a low-budget property, but was ok with that because of the all-inclusive and kids club (I'm traveling alone with my 6-year old). The property is dated and in need of updating/renovation. The dinner was average as was the breakfast - we went at 9:30a and they ran out of boiled eggs (the buffet closes at 11:00a), although we asked a few times the eggs were never replenished. My most frustrating experience, though, was the lack of the advertised kids club. After breakfast (about 10:30a) we went to check out the kids club, we were told they were on the 2nd floor but were on a nature walk and would be back shortly. We went back at about 11:00a and a lady met us there and informed us that they no longer had a kids club (although prominently advertised on the website), but that there were other activities geared towards the kids. We went to the pool for the activities and it was bingo that included everyone - not my idea of an activity geared toward the kids. I went to the front desk and explained that the kids club was one of my main motivations for staying at the hotel vs. elsewhere. I was told that since it was after 11:00a then I would be penalized a night if I checked out. I find that extremely lacking in customer service given that they are falsely advertising. Finally, the pool was freezing, the hot tub was broken and the beach is a strip of sand facing the harbour full of boats. I'm very frustrated and checking other hotel options when I type my last character.

Canton, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Just got back from a 5 day 4 night stay. Upon arriving I was hit with what they called an energy surcharge of $8.00 per day ($32.) When I questioned it I was told that it was in the paperwork. I showed it to the lady at the front desk and asked her to show me where it said that. She couldn't find it. She went into the back and came out with a paper she printed out stating it. What was worse was that when I got home, I had been charged $50 instead of $32. Have still not been able to resolve it. The room was terribly outdated, not close to anything and what's worse is there was rust stains all around the toilet. Under the open sink there were cobwebs and dirt that was never cleaned any of the 4 nights. The food for the all inclusive and mediocre at best. Each day the entrees were fewer and fewer. The best part of it was the salad bar. Upon check out (3:30 am) I had to call back because no one was at the front desk...not a big deal, but when the guy came out it was obvious he was asleep and was annoyed that I woke him. He looked at me and said, "what do you want?" I said I needed to check out and handed him the room keys, he swiped them and then asked my room. I told him and he then got some scissors to cut the wrist band off of me. I said that it was ok I had already done it. He then responded "then what do you want from me?" The taxi driver was standing there and when we got in the cab he said that this guy was always this rude, that he caught up on his sleep there because he had 2 jobs. I am a retired travel agent and still retain many of my old clients. When they express an interest in a place I haven't been, I'll go and check it out first. I obviously will not recommend Nassau.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I just got home from here yesterday. We had an awesome 7 nights here. We were booked here for 9 nights. It’s kind of funny and freaky but the resort closed the doors after 3 nights. Legally we weren’t the new owner’s guests or problem. They didn’t have to do anything for us. But they did. They paid for 2 nights in the Riu Palace while they reopened the Harbour Resort.

We didn’t like the Riu Palace the room was so damp my passport curled up in the safe, the bedding felt like it just came out of the washing machine. They pushed 2 small beds together to make 1 queen size bed. The food wasn’t very good, the pool and pool deck area only has sun for about 2 1/2 hours a day because it’s on the north side of the U shaped building. The beach was nice but you get bugged every 2 minutes to rent or buy something from a seadoo to drugs. You had to rent a lawn chair. We couldn’t wait to get back to the Paradise Island Harbour Resort!

When they brought us back to the Harbour Resort we were welcomed back with genuine hugs and handshakes. The staff is awesome and genuinely cares for you! Most of them remember you by name. They upgraded us to one of the penthouse suites on the top floor. We had a furnished living room with a nice big wet bar, 2 balconies, a side window, 2 TVs and 2 full bathrooms which was nice. The food was excellent because they aren’t cooking for thousands of people! I had an omelette of my choice made in front of me every morning alongside a pile of bacon, sausages and pancakes. The dinner is different every night. In between meals you can order food at the pool side bar. The swimming pool area and private beach are great. There’s a free introduction to scuba every morning. The sun shines from morning till night and nobody bugs you. It’s a short walk to the big public beach. The rooms are good, clean, cool and dry. We didn’t go there to stay in the room anyway. They have an entertainment guy named Sean he will keep you entertained from morning till night if you want. He is really good with little kids right up to us big kids. He had a bicycle tour the other morning and my wife was the only one who showed up for it. She had 1 1/2 hour one on one bicycle tour around the island and came back with flowers in her hair. He’s awesome we shut the lobby bar down every night to him getting everybody dancing or doing karaoke if it was karaoke night. One night a week is Bahamian night. The dinner is Bahamian, then there is junkanoo music and dancing in the lobby bar area and Sean will get you right in there with them. We had really good bartenders the girl’s name was Shelly and another guy who’s name I forgot treated us like we owned the place.

They have their own dock and we took a Party Cat Cruise right from there. We went for a tour past the rich and famous peoples multimillion dollar homes then went to an island for drinks, snorkeling and an excellent barbeque on a beautiful sand beach.

I went scuba diving with the Bahamas Divers dive store in the lobby. It was good.

This resort doesn’t have a very high rating on the internet but to me it’s a hidden gem. I rate it a 10 star. It can only get better with the new owners who adopted us for the last 4 nights.

The all-inclusive price was awesome compared to Sandals or the Riu. We figured if we went out to eat it wouldn’t hurt to miss a hotel meal because we didn’t pay very much for the package. The food was so good we didn’t go out to eat. With what it costs at the other all-inclusive resorts you might be walking away from a $ 50. + meal if you go out.

We walked around Atlantis resorts while we used their water park and casino and it felt we were in Las Vegas. I wouldn’t want to stay there. There are too many people and if I want a Vegas atmosphere I’ll go to Vegas.

We can’t wait to go back there!

I highly recommend the Paradise Island Harbour Resort if you don’t need all the glitter and glamour and want to relax in peace in the Bahamian atmosphere you go there for.

Darryl

Room Tip: habour view with a belcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive? Share your experiences!