“So so and not so spiritual” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
You added Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat to your Saves list
Paradise Island | PO Box N7550, 4777, New Providence Island   |
Special Price
$500 Scholorship!
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“So so and not so spiritual”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

The ashram was great for what I needed; a getaway with no distractions to clear my head. The food was delicious, it's right on the beach and people are friendly.

The one thing that drove me nuts was that the bathrooms were filthy. I know it's an ashram (I'm Hindu so I'm quite familiar with the concept) but still it was disgusting. The problem is the bathrooms are cleaned in the morning and by afternoon, there are filthy towels on the floor, tampons strewed about, skid marks in the toilet, hair everywhere.

Also if you're looking for spiritual guidance, forget it. I took a tour of the ashram with "Arjuna" (a white guy from Canada) who seemed consistently annoyed with us the entire time. First he snapped at someone for looking at their watch, (she was trying to make a note of the sun in accordance with the time, not because she was bored), then he became irate when we asked a question about something he mentioned in the tour, (that the ashram has a 99 year lease). He then became annoyed when someone else asked about the meaning of the different colored robes. I found it odd that someone who has been practicing yoga and meditation for 30 years could be so rude and snippy.

I also went to take a Bhagvad Gita class. I peeped my head in and asked if I was in the right spot and he just grunted at me. This was someone training to be a priest. I've gone to a million pujas and have been to Hindu camp as a child and the priests are always warm and friendly so I was pretty surprised.

Interestingly the only person with a bright personality and energy was Dr. Amit Goswami who was simply dropping in to lecture about quantum physics.

If you're looking to just be by yourself and clear your head (not being able to drink, smoke, have caffeine, or go out helps) this is a perfectly good spot. Just don't depend on the ashram itself on helping you with that spiritual awakening. If you have the money spring for the rooms with private bathroom.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I needed a place to get away on short notice and my requirements were simple - reasonably priced and warmth plus either yoga or meditation. This was the first place I found. I was there 9 days and found the experience to be what I needed. The yoga was strenuous with 2 classes a day. There could have been more meditation. The people I met - both staff and guests - were warm, friendly and informative. The food was plentiful and tasty.

Waltham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This yoga retreat feels very safe and supportive. It is clearly well managed. My favorite thing are the pujas, which are special spiritual events in which blessings are given and received. There is ample opportunity to chant, sing, and do meditation and yoga. The food is deliciously vegetarian. Presenters vary but generally most are enjoyable.

Room Tip: some rooms are on the ocean and in tents one can sometimes hear noise (I like tenting, though)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you are looking for a spiritual get-away…a place to reflect and come home to your heart, this retreat center is for you. For me it was heaven to wake early for group mediation, chanting and yoga. There are wonderful workshops and programs to take during the day (check their catalogue or go on-line for events) or stroll on the beach or nap... then in the late afternoon more yoga, meditation, concerts and lectures on the yogic lifestyle. Loved it!

Keep in mind, this is an Ashram, steeped in the authentic sivananda yoga lineage so modesty is the key and it's a time for self- reflection rather than wanting a club-med resort experience. Great to come alone and just chill. There are two levels of yoga classes offered in the sivananda style, i would suggest taking the beginners class if you are new to yoga or to their distinct style and its important to always respect your body and your limitations.

The property is lovely, the food is abundant, tasty vegetarian buffet served in Tablas. The dining area is large picnic tables under rafters and by the beach and the people are very kind and friendly. The accommodations are from lux (only a few available) to nice and simple, the tent-huts are comfortable and large with electricity, a dresser, lamp and little closet. Shared bathrooms that are clean and simple. (My only complaint would be the shower mats, they got very sandy and muddy :( and needs to be changed more frequently.)

Overall, I had a deeply relaxing and spiritual experience. I would highly recommend this retreat center if you are looking for some R&R away from the normal crazy vacation mode. This is simple and sweet and steeped in an ancient yogic lifestyle.

Happy Yoga Girl….

Room Tip: Book very early as accommodations are limited, especially the ones next to the ocean….but all the te...
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was my first trip to the ashram, after my husband begged me to join him, it was his third visit.
The rooms was very nice and clean with front porch view to the beach, only 40 meters from the water. The beach is natural and clean. The people in the ashram are very kind and the hospitality was beyond any expectations. The vegetarian food is served twice a day, tasty, healthy and fresh.
I'll certainly come back next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was my second trip to the ashram. I am so very grateful and so very thankful for every moment I experienced. The satsangs, yoga with Arjuna(he has made such a huge difference in my life), swimming in the ocean, as well as Krishna Das!!! I made such a deep connection within my own heart and soul. I truly invite one and all to this place of peace, kindness, serenity and above all love. Foods vegetarian and is delightful!! Namaste, Tracey-Lynn Byrne

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Absolutely I'd love to go back ASAP

A friend of mine has he yoga centre in London Ontario in Canada and she recommended me the Sivananda yoga training.
I stayed in the Bahamas ashram for the Beginners yoga training, expecting just a training in yoga postures, but the training was more than I was expecting,it was The Experience that opened my Heart.
❤️All the community in the Ashram are so full of energy, supportive, lovely, helpful.thank you.
Food is so satisfying. In this buffet style you choose your meal that will become your energy for the rest of the day.
I'm happy the the schedule they have, actually it raised up my energy potential.
Make sure to get a good place to sleep. I did use an air mattress.
To do laundry I did it everyday while I was taking a shower
I took the advice of one of my classmates and I was ready with my bathing suit before breakfast to go and jump in the ocean. Beautiful beach.
taking few notes o mentioned quotes, no pressure,from every presentation helped me to be focus and get the most of the valuable information.
I definitely recommend the Ayurvedic Consultations.
Haha! No swimming pool or fitness centre.
. Hatha Yoga asana class is wonderful and the ocean is WOW magic.

Great experience, for sure I'd love to go back and experience it again.

Room Tip: Keep a journal...you will find out its importance. I did love my tent, just needed to set a mat out...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!