“Paradise on earth!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Paradise Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Paradise on earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I have been here no less than 10 times--need I say more? It's a quick flight from NY, and where I like to go to totally decompress from the stress of city living. As another reviewer said, it's an ashram, not a spa, so you are asked to adhere to the daily schedule of meditation, asana classes etc. That's what's so great about it though--this really brings me back into a state of balance and harmony. I feel completely rejuvenated after just a few days. And that being said, there is also an ayurvedic clinic offering wonderful spa treatments and nutritional recommendations. Lalita Devi is the best!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I choose this yoga retreat because of the reviews on the internet and especially being in the top ten of the best yoga retreats in the world. The beach is fantastic and the yoga classes are excellent. However everything else is mediocre. The quality of the food is only average and there is often times not enough so people go hungry. Overnight you either here the generators humming or if you are on the other side of their grounds you will hear the partying of all the cruise ships located in the harbor of Nassau, so you miss out on sleep quite a bit. Although the overall value is still good, this camping should not be listed on the top ten yoga retreats neither was it worthy of your excellence award 2013.

Room Tip: ask for the least noisy part of the ashram.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I chose Sivananda Ashram Yoga retreat based on a friends recommendation and it was a great one at that. I went for 6 days, 5 nights and that was a perfect amount of time in my opinion. I had done my research and knew what I was getting myself into. As a result I had a great time!

The staff were friendly and willing to help out; particularily the karma yogi's. You have to remember this an Ashram and not a spa. The staff are volunteering their time there. If you go in knowing this, you will have the right expectations. I met some pretty awesome people and everyone had a great story to share. The best part of the retreat is that if you want to be left alone you can do that. If you want to be social and chat with others that's great too. Everyone was there for different reasons and because of that you are able to be as you want and not feel judgment.

The Ashram itself is peaceful, serene and basic. The older accomodations aren't the best I won't lie but you don't spend a great deal of time there so I was able to get past that. The newer accomodations on the beach look much nicer so if you can afford it I would recommend it. I did share a bathroom and considering it was a shared they were kept clean and most respected the shared space and made the effort to keep it clean for others. That being said I was there during the off season with far less people so that likely helped the situation.

I didn't partake in the morning meditations even though it is recommended but enjoyed the yoga a lot and the evening mediation was a great way to end the day. It was something that I took back home to practice daily. The food was delicious and enjoyed the breakfast the most. After 6 days the meals did become a little repetitious which is why I think the amount of time 5- 6 days is perfect. You are expected to clean your own dishes and I didn't mind it one bit as it was a great way to socialize with other yogi's should you want to and share a good laugh.

All in all it was a wonderful experience and I'm very happy I went. The beach is fantastic and I couldn't believe how peaceful and relaxing the whole experience was. I would recommend this to someone looking to get away for a few days away from the pressures of the daily grind and enjoy the practice of yoga and meditation in the sunshine.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the new beach huts looked pretty nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

To me this place is home. I am a yoga instructor so I am truly immersed in the discipline and lifestyle of yoga. But you dont have to be like that to really fall in love with this place. I have met people going there with no yoga experience and after their first visit they go back every year.
The energy, the surroundings, the activities, classes, lectures… it is truly paradise. It is also great for families even with young kids.
It is a very healing place too. Others also choose to adventure into Atlantic City since it is walking distance from the ashram. But that's a personal choice. I never have the need for that because I love going and staying there. Leaving the ashram is the hardest part.
Regarding food (thankfully) they started serving some vegan options too. Food can be tricky, sometimes is great, sometimes is not. I highly recommend anyone to go and experience for themselves how incredible and unforgettable this place is.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

As life offered me a chance to take a break, I found myself at this sacred ashram & yoga retreat for 3 weeks. In my journey for clarity, this place held the answers I was looking for. I found them through silent meditation walks on the beach and through the acquaintances of many transformational people from around the globe. This is a quiet place for self-reflection and holds a space for people to do exactly that. You will not get a ton of spiritual guidance if you are looking for that, the satsangs and meditations are not "lectures" so you may want to be prepared this is more of an inward journey than anyone teaching you. Unless you are doing ttc or a class, you will most likely get more knowledge. I did end up taking Yoga for Beginners (even though I have practiced yoga for 6 years) and was impressed by the material and it helped me connect to the lineage and yoga practice better.

The yoga classes are taught by staff and you will get good and bad instructors, but most are very average. I personally did not encounter any instructor that was extremely powerful in terms of transformation. But if this is what you are looking for, you will find in other ways. As a yogi who has practiced physically intense power yoga for over 6 years, I found both advantages and disadvantages to the yoga classes. I enjoyed learning a new lineage and working on prayanama (breathing/detoxifying exercises). Because the asanas are the same everyday, you will get very good & flexible in those 12 asanas. The disadvantage was I did not feel like I had any physical exercise, so I ended up doing my own practice once a day and running on the beach.

The speakers were great in the evening. Satsang was alright. It was a time you could chant divine names and sway a little bit after meditating for 30 mns. It was hindu and I prefer more Buddhist & native american songs and chants.

The food was very delicious and was filling. You will find homemade wheat bread, homemade yogurt, homemade granola, fruit, veggies, rice, tofu, sweet potatoes, lentils, homemade herb tea, salad ( usually just cucumbers, carrots, beets, and a nice homemade dressing). Everything was made from scratch and I thought the food was yummy. I did feel like I was gaining weight, probably because I would stuff myself twice a day and ate 2-3 pieces of homemade bread so my stomach was stretched and bloated, but when I got home I had not gained or lost any weight.

I was there during a TTC and because I had planned to do a TTC and cancelled and decided to do a vacation instead, I will tell you what I saw. Many people loved the teachers and the lineage and said they were learning a ton and were enjoying the experience. The intensity comes with learning the philosophy and memorizing sanskrit. People did not like sitting for over 8 hours a day.

This is a great ashram because you can walk to the Atlantis if you need a like Americanization, like Starbucks, spa, or a nice restaurant or pool to sit by. I did this a few times, but found it was more peaceful at the Ashram and I was able to focus on myself and what I came for in this space better.

I had a tent hut and it worked really well. There was a light, fan, plug ins, hangers, dressers, etc.
You have to change your own sheets and my bed had bed bugs so I had some bites, but nothing that was detrimental.

I would definitely go back again, especially for the price and the location and the people you will meet.

Om. namaste.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Do not take your Yoga Teacher training at this place. They will try to brainwash you into renouncing the world. They will tell not to go into Nassau because the environment is impure. You are no allowed to be on the beach between the hours of 630 pm to 6 am. You will chant and meditate four hours a day and do very little Hathaway Yoga (exercises). You will be told to cover your shoulders and knees so that you will not tempt the Swamis. Furthermore, they expect you to give back to the ashrams after pay $3000.00 by cleaning toilets, garbage, scrubbing pots, etc. Bring ear plugs because you will not get sleep at night due to the generate and music from passing ships going all day and night. You get no sleep at nights, so you are to exhausted to question the contradicts of their teaching. The staff do not practice good hand hygiene in the kitchen (observed kitchen staff coughing in hand than continued serving food). They will tell you to come with no expectation, this is to counterbalance the unfriendly and rude service. By the way do not expect a refund, they do not do refunds. The strict discipline, counter less rules and staff watching your very move, makes a so call enjoyable learning experience horrible. Do not waste your money and go to a Yoga school that is far less religious, unless you like bowing to a pink elephant.
Julia

• Stayed December 2013
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I recently completed the yoga teacher training refresher course at the Yoga Retreat (November 23-30,2013), and found it to be as completely life transforming as my initial teacher training which was in December 2010. The ashram itself is revitalizing! The beach is always so clean and calm to relax in the sun, and is never over-crowded. The ocean is clear blue, and heavenly to swim in. The accommodation choices would suit anyone's standards or budget. I have stayed in many different suites and all have been wonderful. The food is standard vegetarian fare, and the kitchen will cater to many different allergies.
This week long course was filled with: in depth asana classes; training sessions to refresh our minds on teaching any level of Sivananda asana class; and wonderful in depth conversations about Yoga Sutras, the 5 points of Yoga, the 4 paths of Yoga, much kirtan, and even discussions with Swami Brahmananda on how to teach meditation, and how to bring the practice of yoga into our daily western lifestyles. My practice has been revitalized, and my life once again has a greater yearning for spiritual knowledge.
I love that the Yoga Retreat always feels like home.

Room Tip: Tent huts are my favorite type of accommodation!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!