“Its time to enter the most fulfilling month of your life.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Paradise Island | PO Box N7550, 4777, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Seattle, Washington
“Its time to enter the most fulfilling month of your life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I read ALL the trip advisor reviews before deciding on coming here. Some said its "life changing", some had other opinions. So you have to know that I do not use the word "life changing" easily. To me, it sounds like a bunch of new age people that have not experienced much in life to say such a thing.

Let me tell you...it has been life changing.

OK lets get this right. The TTC (Teacher Training Certification) schedule and Karma Yoga (selfless service) is intense and crazy...it actually breaks you down. That, to me is the only way one allows for this amount of development to occur in 30 days. Its not about touching your toes but what you learn on your way down.

The location is pristine and stunning on the beach. I wanted to soak it all in from all the teachers we had the pleasure to learn from (Swami Brahmananda, Shankar, Saraswati, Krishna Das, Lalita Devi, Surya, Savithri...various speakers from both academic/scientific side and spiritual leaders) all a class act.

Yoga to me is so much more than asanas we know in the west. I just didn't comprehend the extent of it all until I experienced it. My own practice and how I teach now has fundamentally changed now...and people pick it up.

If you are considering the 200 Hour Yoga TTC program OR desire time to connect with your soul/heart/dreams, do yourself a favor and just go. You may not have much to show externally because all the shifts happen internally, but you'll be so glad you made this decision.

Most vacations I used to go on, I needed a vacation after coming from them. This one fills you. No other way to say it. TTC was a byproduct of receiving something incredibly larger than that certificate.

Thank you to all the people at Sivananda Ashram for this "life changing" experience!

Room Tip: I chose the dorm option that had AC and got very lucky with my 2 room mates. Rain season starts aro...

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I participated in a 4 day program with Grace van Berkum a few weeks ago. This was actually my third experience with Grace, having participated in last year's 10 day cleanse with Manu Dawson (April 2012) and her Gracious Living Raw Food Workshop (May 2012), both at the Sivananda Yoga Ashram- Bahamas.

As you can probably tell I am a fan! First, because Grace is so knowledgeable and loves to share her knowledge and experience with others. Also, because Grace cares about her students and clients. Her passion and purpose- the why behind the work that she does- is evident in her courses and also in the way in which she teaches others about the benefits of raw food living. As an educator myself, I have found this combination to be tremendously helpful to my own learning. I knew that going back home each time, I would have new and different changes to incorporate into my own life, on my personal journey to better health. This is really important to me as a person who has an auto-immune disease and as someone who is trying to heal naturally.

Beyond the wealth of knowledge, Grace is an empathetic listener and inspires others to action. She facilitated sessions that really built community among our group and I am grateful to have participated now 3 times. I'll be back, for sure!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Coming here is a great experience if you don't have wrong expectations. It is, after all, an ashram and not an eco-chic yoga hotel. The website and the brochure might suggest otherwise - so the organization takes part of the responsibility in selling this as "yoga in paradise" - but it is a spiritual place, run by volunteers. You have certain with ashram rules and pretty simple accommodation. If you know that and allow yourself to immerse in the spiritual part you'll be rewarded with a rich and rewarding experience - and you take away a sense of what yoga really is about. Otherwise I would suggest going to places like Maja Tulum or retreat centers in Costa Rica, where it's more about vacation paired with yoga.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Alachua, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I always enjoy going to the Sivananda Asrama. It's simple asrama living for a spiritual experience. Great food, nice facilities, friendly people, plenty of yoga, and an awesome beach. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Graces's Detox retreats are supercharged with energy, delicious food, informative, fun and recipies which are easy to do at home. She glows with joy and health .... just look at her the proof is in the juice!

Room Tip: It's a Yoga Retreat so rooms are very basic, but clean. Try to get a room on the beach but need...
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The four day raw food detox was the best and easiest detox that I have ever done. The environment was perfect for detoxing because it was very relaxing. The best part because I am a local resident of Nassau was that I was able to go to the Ashram in the morning by ferry and leave after dinner at about 7:15pm to go back to Nassau. I was also able to participate in other lectures that was happening at the time. There was no wasted time over the 4 days or time to think of hunger....lololol. The overall experience was GREAT!!! I highly recommend it. Healed body, calm mind!

Alachua, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The perfect experience--yoga, kirtan, good food, great people, friends and family, a beautiful beach, crystal clear blue water...
Came away feeling renewed, refreshed, rejuvenated, inspired...
This sort of vacation goes beyond just rest and relaxation.
If you are new to yoga, this is a really great introduction. And for longtime yoga practitioners, the ashram's knowledgeable staff offer a variety of classes and workshops on different relevant subjects (health, raw foods, nutrition, spirituality, etc.)
The Bhakti Yoga Retreat is fantastic! Music, kirtan, great stories, everyone can enjoy that!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!