“Best Yoga retreat!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
You added Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat to your Saves list
Paradise Island | PO Box N7550, 4777, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York City, New York
“Best Yoga retreat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great stuff, healthy food and healthy spirit, on a the beach
can't be more peaceful and tranquil. people like you from all over the world - a dream!
Make sure you come in good shape, they are going to kick ....
What else can you ask for?

Room Tip: Book the rooms by the beach!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Blacksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Don't even consider the tent huts. I have stayed at lovely ones in other places that were on their own floors with separation between the permanently installed tents for the same price or less. The pics on their web site don't show the rabbit warren nature of the accommodations - it's a long, two-floor building with 12 thin dome tens on each floor, so when anyone walks down the center aisle the whole place shakes. No acoustic privacy. In addition, right over the fence - maybe 30 feet away - is the sewage treatment tank, etc. for the huge Atlantis resort 1/4 mile down the beach and it makes noise like a generator 24/7. No ocean breeze, no sound of waves, and an undercurrent of sewage smell. And speaking of smell - bathrooms were inadequate and apparently needed to be cleaned more than once a day with the demands on them.

I was able to move to a double room on the beach which was much better - after all I came to the Bahamas for the environment as well as the yoga or I could have gone more easily to Satchidananda ashram closer to home. Some of the office staff were kind and helpful, others should not be serving the public. I assume they are doing karma yoga work and are not paid and it must not sit well with some of them.

Because some "enlightened" guy (Sivananda) gave a yoga form way back does not mean it is particularly good in light of longer experience, anatomical, physiological, and kinesthetic understanding over the years - there are many forms in which the sequencing builds on earlier poses and which make much better sense than the Sivananda flow. I was disappointed in the classes, which are mandatory twice a day, along with 2 two-hour satsang/meditation sessions daily. With a continuing education class to attend, I beg to differ with the reviewer who mentioned time to lounge around on the beach.

My continuing education hours were high priced and were bodywork oriented. The presenters had offered it before at the ashram and requested the ashram make provisions for massage tables, but instead we did the bodywork on picnic tables that did not sit level and which were outdoors - had it rained I'm not sure what we would have done. It seemed the facilities were over-booked as we had to change locations for class due to conflicts. And it seems the ashram will take everyone who will pay for tent space - I met people who kept having to move their tents due to over-crowding and conflicts over space.

The vegetarian food was good, but if eggs are not included as a source of protein, yogurt shouldn't run out before many folks can get some in the mornings, and more nut and cheese options need to be available.

Room Tip: Choose beach front accommodations
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Teacher Training Course (TTC) was one of the more vigorous, tiring, and gratifying experiences of my life. I learned more about myself in this one month than in my many years of schooling, and was able to reconnect with my spirituality in a way I didn't even realize was necessary. I was becoming a typical overly-driven, cynical student and this experience truly opened me back up again not just to the people around me but it also allowed me to truly remember what it means to love myself.
This course is definitely not easy and not a leisurely month-long vacation, but it gave me much more than a vacation ever could. I think everyone could use more of this kind of experience in his or her life. The most important advice I can give for gaining the most benefit is to keep an open mind, then the possibilities are endless. I saw true and amazing change in myself and the people in my course over the month, and would highly recommend this for anyone looking for something more, whatever that may be.
I also recommend staying for at least a few days after the course ends on vacation at the Ashram. It allows everything that you have gained to truly sink in and you can appreciate more completely what you have learned and experienced. You'll leaving shining on the inside and out.

Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I recently took a 5 day retreat to this ashram in the Bahamas, away from my family - husband and baby (15 months old). I had never been to a yoga ashram before, although I had practiced yoga since 1998. I was expecting warm water, tropical fruit, a few yoga classes . . . ha! I probably should have looked at the website more closely.

It's intense there - with the bell ringing to wake you up at 5:30am and the day ending around 10pm - and it's awesome. I would definitely go back there.

If you are looking for a break from the pace of daily life and want to pop in on a bunch of folks dedicating themselves to spiritual practice, this may be the place for you. I loved seeing how the ashram worked a bit (the teacher trainees were funny, many seemed really tired and really young), the chanting/meditation was great, and the guest lectures and workshops were interesting (and you can pop in and out of them to some degree).

I enjoyed my time there as a spiritual experience. I literally heard some things discussed that blew my mind, really transformed my perspective. That in itself was incredibly valuable.

It was fun meeting people from around the world at the communal meals. It's very easy to strike up conversations with people. I was there in January 2013 when it was quite busy.

The Bahamans are very friendly. The security guards at the airport were even friendly, and they were familiar with the ashram.

The food was delicious while I was there. I eat a vegan diet and nearly everything was vegan. There were lots of choices as to what to eat (but very little fruit, fyi). As a new mom, it was pretty awesome having food made for me. I found that I adjusted to the 2 meals a day thing pretty well, though I did eat granola bars or snacks in between.

All in all, great place to learn and grow, in a lovely setting. I would love to make this an annual trip.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 4 facing the ocean. I loved the view and hearing the ocean at night. The room is ve...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Beautiful, vibrant, and restorative, the Sivananda retreat offers an environment for yoga vacation, self-exploration, healing, spiritual practice, and beach lounging! Regardless of your experience with yoga, the retreat has something special for everyone. It is entirely what you make of it; they offer countless courses, daily speakers- experts in their fields in the arts of healing, yoga, and beyond, and a daily basic schedule that affords the vacationer simply here for yoga and beach relaxation- a WONDERFULLY energizing experience. Their wellness center is fabulous and offers incredible bodywork and massage sessions from very highly trained professional staff. The staff are welcoming and supportive, the food is vegetarian and very delicious. It is family friendly, couple friendly, and great for a solo vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach have lovely ocean waves that lull you to sleep. The bay side is quieter at nigh...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I really don't have the words to express the depth of my experience in the Ashram. But, I will try. I had the blessing to be able to stay here for a whole month as part of the Advanced Yoga Teachers Training Course, that took place on Jan 4th 2013. A month of discipline, joy and inner transformation. One of my favorite aspects of this Ashram is the practice of Unity in Diversity. We were so fortunate to have an array of special guest every single night, bringing knowledge in diverse aspects of religion, arts and science. It is a sacred site, that if one surrenders to the energy that surrounds it, the magic begins. The teachers are simply an example of dedication and love towards spreading spirituality and the message of the grate saints. The overall atmosphere of Paradise Island speaks for it self, it is really like heaven, the blue perfect ocean and white sand surrounding the grounds of the ashram, one can not ask for any more. It is all here, you just have to experience it yourself.

Room Tip: The cabins on the west side are serene and the bathrooms are right next to it.
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The yoga retreat provided a great learning experience. The food was very good and I managed to avoid coffee for my whole stay.
Our teacher was a beautiful person who helped us improve our poses and provided thoughtful instruction.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!