“Beautiful- heart opening- life changing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Save Saved
You added Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat to your Saves list
Paradise Island | PO Box N7550, 4777, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
New York City, New York
“Beautiful- heart opening- life changing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Beautiful, vibrant, and restorative, the Sivananda retreat offers an environment for yoga vacation, self-exploration, healing, spiritual practice, and beach lounging! Regardless of your experience with yoga, the retreat has something special for everyone. It is entirely what you make of it; they offer countless courses, daily speakers- experts in their fields in the arts of healing, yoga, and beyond, and a daily basic schedule that affords the vacationer simply here for yoga and beach relaxation- a WONDERFULLY energizing experience. Their wellness center is fabulous and offers incredible bodywork and massage sessions from very highly trained professional staff. The staff are welcoming and supportive, the food is vegetarian and very delicious. It is family friendly, couple friendly, and great for a solo vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach have lovely ocean waves that lull you to sleep. The bay side is quieter at nigh...

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I really don't have the words to express the depth of my experience in the Ashram. But, I will try. I had the blessing to be able to stay here for a whole month as part of the Advanced Yoga Teachers Training Course, that took place on Jan 4th 2013. A month of discipline, joy and inner transformation. One of my favorite aspects of this Ashram is the practice of Unity in Diversity. We were so fortunate to have an array of special guest every single night, bringing knowledge in diverse aspects of religion, arts and science. It is a sacred site, that if one surrenders to the energy that surrounds it, the magic begins. The teachers are simply an example of dedication and love towards spreading spirituality and the message of the grate saints. The overall atmosphere of Paradise Island speaks for it self, it is really like heaven, the blue perfect ocean and white sand surrounding the grounds of the ashram, one can not ask for any more. It is all here, you just have to experience it yourself.

Room Tip: The cabins on the west side are serene and the bathrooms are right next to it.
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The yoga retreat provided a great learning experience. The food was very good and I managed to avoid coffee for my whole stay.
Our teacher was a beautiful person who helped us improve our poses and provided thoughtful instruction.

• Stayed January 2013
Saint John NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

When I arrived at the ashram, I could not get over how peaceful and beautiful it was. The people I have met there were awesome and I am still in contact with them. The food was over the top twice a day!! Not only that , you get these great workshops from world renowned authors and spiritual teachers from around the world. My favourite was a 3 day talk by Dr. Joe Dispenza. I would totally recommend to those looking for something different and unique.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I recently completed a short (6-day) yoga vacation and loved my time at the Sivananda Retreat. It was truly relaxing, the location is unbelievably beautiful and very convenient and the yoga instruction is blissful. The food is vegetarian and tasty (though at the end of 6 days, I craved cheese. Strangely enough I didn't miss eating meat) Recommended for open-minded people looking for a meaningful retreat experience.

Room Tip: Bay View AC with private bathroom is spartan but cosy and clean.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is just to note that the Bahamas location is lacking "spiritual fire" that is commonly found at Ashrams, for those looking to connect and disengage from daily life for a while. I joined the TTC program, but was a bit surprised to learn that many of the 40 participants were new to yoga. Be sure when checking into an Ashram, that this is really what you want for your time and money, as there are NO refunds.

Room Tip: Pack snacks and protein bars if a mostly starchy diet is not good for you. If you have not yet ween...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ShankarBr, Manager at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I'm not sure what is that "spiritual fire" you're referring to, but I have the feeling that it is a very subjective thing. I find that people who are tuned and come with an open mind may get a profound spiritual experience, particularly in the Teacher Training Course. Others, who may come with fixed ideas about what constitutes a 'spiritual life' and shield themselves from any new ideas may not find the 'spiritual fire' they were hoping to find.
Moreover, you're referring to the fact that many students in the TTC are new to Yoga as a kind of disadvantage. I, as a teacher in these courses, actually think it is a great advantage. More often than not, those who come with a rich background of Yoga are already fixed in their minds on certain ideas and aren't open to learn new ideas and listen to a different view point. Many times they get confused because they superimpose their old knowledge upon what they hear here. People who are a 'clean slate', on the other hand, are often getting the teachings much faster. I truly believe that your previews experience or your physical flexibility do not give you any advantage in the Teacher Training Course. What matters is the spirit with which you approach this life transforming experience.
Thank you again for bringing up this point, and hope to see you with us again soon.

All the best,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My friend and I spent a week at the ashram in October 2012. Most of the positive reviewers here are very emotional and are talking about a great spiritual experience they found at the ashram. I would rather describe my stay there, the facilities and the atmosphere and why I would like to come back to the ashram for another vacation. A saying "believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear" is very much on point when discussing the ashram.
My friend and I shared a room with two double beds and a full bathroom in one of the two 4-room cottages right on the beach. The room was spacious, air-conditioned and had a balcony with chairs and a table. The linens and towels were OK. The staff does not routinely change the linens but they will if you ask them. The cottages are very private and away from the kitchen, trash dumpsters, daily maintenance that is always ongoing on the ashram property, and most importantly - away from the bells that wake up residents and guests staying at other accommodations at 5:30AM.
The food during our stay was hands down one of the best vegetarian cuisines I have ever tried. I was so inspired that I bought the yoga cook book sold at the ashram and have been cooking many meals from it at home. This said, I understand that since ashram does not have a professional cook on staff, food quality is not consistent and depends on the skills of volunteers who run the kitchen. During our stay, the kitchen was run by a chef from a 5 star hotel in India and two amazingly creative women from Israel who whipped up delicious Indian, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern meals. Also, it helped that there were only about 30 people staying at the ashram during that week, and not 200+ as during the busy season and teacher training courses. Everybody washes their own dishes after the meals at the outside sinks. It is definitely a chore but conversations with other guests and staff around those sinks were one of highlights of my stay. My friend and I lingered longer after dinners and helped the staff load dishwashers and dry and stack the dishes. Staff was every appreciative of our help and told us every time how grateful they were.
The daily schedule is very busy and is compulsory for the residents only. Guests are encouraged to participate in yoga classes (2-hour classes twice a day at 8AM and 4PM) and satsangs (2-hour chanting, meditation and lecture twice a day at 6AM and 8PM). I went to all yoga classes and found them challenging enough for a daily exercise. Some teachers were good, some were OK, one was pretty bad but it really didn't make much difference for me because practicing asanas in warm tropical air and listening to the sounds of the forest and ocean waves was enough to make my experience unlike anything I have experienced before.
I went to only one morning satsang that included a walk and meditation on the beach at sunrise . I went to all evening satsangs and at first was appalled by the meaningless chants and idolatry being practiced there. But then I looked at it from a "curious observer" perspective, and actually found group singing and playing bells and tambourines engaging and fun.
All afternoons after breakfast and before 4PM yoga class we spent either on the beach or would take an hour-long workshop taught by a visiting yogi or by a staff member. My friend improved her asana in a headstand workshop and I really liked a dharma yoga workshop and a chanting class.
Guests are welcome to take any tours, boat cruises and snorkeling trips offered by vendors either at Atlantis (10 min away along the beach) or from Nassau. I went to a beautiful reef to snorkel with a few other ashram guests, and we were picked up right from the ashram pier.
Overall, my stay at the ashram was lovely and very relaxing. I am coming back to Paradise Island this Spring and even though I am not staying at the ashram (I am coming with my big family and there is no appropriate accommodation at the ashram for all of us during the busy Spring break), I am planning to take yoga classes and attend satsangs as much as I can.

Room Tip: 8 rooms in 2 two-story buildings right on the beach (called Gangas) are the newest and best accommod...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!