“Wonderful Time....but could use a little tweeking” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
New York City
10 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Time....but could use a little tweeking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We took a last minute trip to Atlantis, booking our flight and hotel on a Saturday and arriving there on Tuesday after Labor Day. The flight on Jet Blue is direct from NYC so you don't waste an entire day traveling. The weather was wonderful and it wasn't as crowded as it was when we last went which was in February 2010. We stayed at the Royal Towers and since our last trip, the place could use a little updating. I understand we arrived at the end of a busy summer, but the carpets were dirty and the furniture a bit banged up. For the amount of money you pay for accommodations, I would expect more attention to these details. We also found many of the on site restaurants closed, something that should have been mentioned on the website or by the Atlantis representative which helped us make our plans. The restaurants are all way overpriced and the food is not good. We took a taxi offsite to a local restaurant which was reasonable and good.
As for our experience at the water park , we had an amazing time. My favorite was the mile long rapid river, not the lazy river, that you float on in tubes. There are just enough rough waves to make it fun while it is still relaxing. My 13 year old boy didn't stop sliding down the awesome slides for the 4 days we were there except for the 11 minutes he got to "walk with the sharks". That's right, I said 11 minutes. This was my Big negative. We booked the "Walk with the Sharks" Adventure there in Atlantis which we were told would be at least a 20 minute guided walk on the bottom of the shark tank in which you would be able to see and touch sea life such as starfish while sharks were swimming all around. My son was extremely excited to do this walk and film it with his underwater camera. He started his video the moment he started his descent on the ladder and didn't stop until he emerged at the end of the "walk". The entire video was 11 minutes, not the 20 he expected and there was no interaction with sea life other than the sharks and a couple of other fish swimming around which he could have seen through the tank with out having to spend $110 for the 11 minutes. The guide did absolutely nothing other than wave at a couple of onlookers. The preparation video shows people holding starfish and examining sea urchins among other things. This didn't happen...maybe because he was only down for 11 minutes. Definitely not worth it.
Do try however the off site snorkeling. We went with the Flying Cloud to a reef about an hour from Paradise Island and saw beautiful fish and stingrays at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend.
I guess this is a mixed review of negatives and positives. If 3.5 stars were an option, that is where I would have rated our experience. It is definitely above "average", but falls a little short of "very good." I guess I expect a little more for the money you end up spending while you are down there.
We will most likely go back again but knowing what to expect.
Oh yeah, one other thing. Be prepared for long lines when the cruise ships dock. Apparently there are different cruise ships arriving everyday that are allowed to use Atlantis. If you don't want to be a part of a crowd, you will need go out early or late either before or after the boats dock.

Ozone Park, New York
9 attraction reviews
“Never going back again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I visited Atlantis with my 12yr old daughter, 4yr old son and husband and the overall experience was great up until we went to the Lazy River. The lazy river is supposed to be such a fun ride for the entire family, but instead it turn out to literally be a nightmare. The water was extra rough at the certain parts of the ride that is suposed to be fun. A lady and her young daughter both flipped out of their tube going down the rocky white water rafting part of the ride and almost drowned because the water was too rough. I had to grab onto the mother's arm to try to help her until a life guard decided to appear. My daughter fliped out her tube two times and was under the water scared to death. mean while the life guards only asked " are you ok" we were obviously not ok. I hit my head on a rock when my tube was drifting into the wave exit area. It was the worst experience ever and I will never take my kids back there.

Tampa
3 attraction reviews
“A fun beaching vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The beach, aquariums, architecture, and water parks are amazing. Casino's fun, hotel i stayed at was average, not worth it for the price. Majority of food over priced except the little food places in the water park. Staff service was excellent. I would go here again but would search for specials. See my cove review for somewhat more comprehensive review.

Stanford, Kentucky
“Paradise Island/Atlantis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have been to Paradise Island/Atlantis twice and loved it both times. Despite the high prices and short amount of time there due to cruise times, everyone should go at least once !

Visited April 2013
Mims, Florida
29 attraction reviews
“Amazing Aquarium and Beaches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited for the day and opted for the package that included seeing The Dig aquarium as well as use of the beaches (but not pools or waterslides). The cost was $69 per adult and included lunch. Transportation booked separately was $8 per person. We did not book through Carnival Sensation since the same thing cost about $99 per person. The Atlantis Resort is beautiful, large, and has great amenities. The beaches included covered lounge chairs and towels. There is so much to see and do and the water is beautiful and clear. Next time we'll stay for a few days instead. The aquarium is the best one we've ever visited.