“Romantic and Relaxing Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Retreat Offer
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Brooklyn, New York
“Romantic and Relaxing Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We just returned from the Ocean Club a few hours ago and I felt compelled to get on tripadvisor right away and give it a glowing report. My husband and I were in need of some serious quiet and relaxation and we got that and more. The staff are friendly and helpful. The beach is gorgeous and the spa is one of the best I've ever experienced.
We stayed in a luxury beachfront room in the crescent wing which was conveniently located, comfortable and beautifully decorated...the view didn't hurt either. We dined at Dune our first night and did find the food and service a little lacking, however the Courtyard Terrace was really incredible. The food, service, ambiance were everything you could ask for and more. For a change of pace we ate at Mesa Grill and Nobu at Atlantis. Nobu was by far the worst meal we had in the Bahamas and Mesa Grill may have been the best. Overall, being at the Atlantis with all the touristy swarming crowds made us just want to turn around and go back to the Ocean Club.
One of the greatest assets at the Ocean Club is their staff. From the moment you walk through the doors they are jumping through hoops to make you comfortable. I found the beach staff particularly friendly and helpful. On our last night our butler actually lit candles, spread rose petals on the bed and even programmed my husband's ipod as a surpise! We had a wonderful time and will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I booked a vacation to the One and Only Ocean Club on Paradise Island in the Bahamas for a four day three night stay for myself, my wife and our two young children in early July. We arrived in Nassau and a SUV from the resort drove us in from the airport. As you arrive at the One and Only Ocean Club, the towering palm trees and the thick tropical vegatation alert you that you have entered into somewhere very special. The grounds are landscaped perfection. I could sense a feeling of serenity come over me as the resort SUV arrived at the Porte Cochere. The vehicle door was opened for us and and we were greeted warmly and we were escorted inside to check-in. We were offered Champagne and lemonade and we checked in as we sat on a beautiful sofa in the reception area of the Library. It was our son's 6th birthday and he was presented with two brightly colored balloons and a really cool backpack and tee shirt from the director of the Kids Only Program that the resort runs. He was thrilled. Our room was the Hartford Villa and had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a parlor, a dining area and spacious patio terrace. The staff had decorated our room with a Happy Birthday banner and had tied a bunch of balloons to the footboard of my son's bed. We enjoyed the Family Pool and had a tasty lunch while dining by the pool. Later I enjoyed a Balinese massage from Meredith at the Spa. We ate dinner at the Courtyard Terrace and dinner was excellent. I had the grouper. The kids were getting restless so we strolled the grounds before retiring for the evening. The king size bed was very comfortable. We had breakfast in our room each morning and the service was impeccable. The resort SUV were always at our disposal and we utilized this service daily. It was fun to go see the glitz and activity of Atlantis and know that at the end of the day, we would be returning to the serenity of the Ocean Club. When there was a rain shower, the doorman would greet us with an umbrella as we stepped from the SUV so we would enter inside dry and comfortable. The second night, we dined at Dune and my steak was delicious. Later, I couldn't help myself and I ordered a Mount Gay and soda from the small bar in the Library. My wife just chuckled. The next day we went down to the beach and the Beach Master prepared our lounge chairs to our directional preferences and we enjoyed splashing in the crystal clear water. Our last night, we dined in and again the service was flawless. It was an amazing four days. The Ocean Club was beautiful. The service was that of the highest order. It was warm, friendly, anticipatory and conducted with great spirit. All I can say is Wow.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

When I read some of the reviews critical of the service at the Ocean Club, I was a little nervous about taking this trip, but decided to try and go in without any expectations. We travelled for four nights in late May of this year and I was absolutely amazed at the level of service from the check in all the way through to the room service, conceirge service, and the beach service. I don't want to discount anybody elses experience, but everyone was extremely gracious, very willing to please and kept saying "my pleasure" to our every request. I thought so highly of the ocean club that this is actually my first hotel review ever. My wife and I were married at the St. Regis hotel in Dana Point, CA and honeymooned at the Four Seasons in Maui and the service at the Ocean Club was every bit comparable to those places. The beach was immaculate and despite the resort being full, there was plenty of room to enjoy our privacy. The water was unlike any I had ever seen.

We stayed in the Crescent Wing, which was immaculate and offered amazing views of the landscape and the ocean. There was nightly champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, and the food at Dune and the Dune beach bar was some of the best I had enjoyed in my life, from the Snapper to the Pork Chop and Grouper sandwich. I believe my wife enjoyed the tuna tartare so much, she had it for four different meals. Go into it knowing that it isn't cheap. You will pay $20-25 plus per lunch entree and more than that for dinner. Mixed drinks are around $15 while beer is around $10, but if you can let that slide, you will have one of the most enjoyable trips of your lifetime. I cannot wait to go back and stay for a week!

ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We stayed at O& O at the end of May for my Birthday.There were flowers and ca card from the hotel which was a nice touch but the card was made out to my husband LOL.
We were picked up at the airport and arrived at our Hotel at 11:00AM.
The check in was very easy and they made us feel welcome.Unlike other travelers our room was eady by 12:00PM which was great.The rooms were beautiful and comfortable although for the same money I have stayed in nicer rooms..We stayed in the Crescent building on the second floor away from the restaurant which is what i requested.The view from the rooms are breathtaking and everywhere you go you can catch the Ocean-except the pool which overlooks the garden.We are not pool people but the setting was very nice.
Our Butler's were very nice but they did not go out of thier way unless you asked them for something.My one gripe about the resort is there are services they do not tell you about.. for examle -They have a car that will drive you anywhere on PI,The Butler's will press your clothing or unpack for you and make your dinner and car reservations,There is a beautiful Infinity pool located at the Golf course that overlooks the Ocean and has beach access.They deliver fresh fruit in the morning and Champagne and Strawberries in the evening,if you are not in the room they will not leave it unless you tell them to leave it for you, and they have Bicycles.I rec you read thier online brochure.
Overall the staff was very nice,efficient but not Friendly.
We stayed at the beach and the service was excellent.They always served us promptly and the beach is beautiful.
Dune restaurant is excellent.We had dinner there once and ate lunch there almost everyday.Always excellent.The inside of the restaurant IMHO is just OK but the outside deck is so romantic and the view is amazing.For Lunch the service was excellent,for dinner it was OK..
The Hotel Staff rec.Cafe Martinique for dinner-I would not rec.this place unless you want to take your children to a expensive restaurant as it was noisy and full of kids..
Other restaurants we enjoyed were Shogun Revolver-excellent!!!!!!!! and Sunand.
We did go to Atlantis one afternoon which was fun but quite different from the O&O.It was fun to have the Casino nearby as well
Overall the resort is very lovely and I hope this review is helpful.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We read the reviews of this hotel and for the most part, they were accurate. This is an expensive hotel and you need to be prepared to not only spend a good amount of money for the room, but for the other services as well (food, beverages, spa, etc.).

We arranged for hotel transfers from/to the airport and were greeted promptly by a driver in a Land Rover. The trip to the hotel took ~ 30 minutes and the entrance was very nice (and private). We arrived at ~1:30pm and our room wasn't ready yet and thus we changed and went to the pool. We lost track of time and didn't go back to the lobby to check in until ~6pm.

Our butler escorted us to the room, gave us a mini-tour of the facility and made dinner reservations for us later that night. We never saw our butler again for the remainder of the week (but we also never called him). We were OK with that.

Overall, the facility was very nice and the staff there was always friendly. We enjoy the pool more than the beach and spent most of our time there. The pool staff was friendly, but the food and beverage service was slow. This is a common theme - there was always plenty of staff around, but they seemed to be content talking to each other at the bar rather than walking around to see if any of us needed anything. Ultimately, if we wanted something, we either resorted to walking to the bar or making eye contact with one of the staff. We were generally OK with this as well - we thought it was better than over-attentive staff.

Room service came promptly and was generally good. We didn't get a chance to eat in the Courtyard Terrace, but ate at Dune two of the nights. Overall the food was very good, but the service could have been better. We ate lunch at the pool most of the days and the food was very good. Note - although not specifically advertised, bottled water was always available (and free).

The gym had modern equipment (again free bottled water in the gym). We spent a few hours at the spa and the staff was friendly and we enjoyed our massage time.

We did go to the beach one day - it was fairly private, the sand was nice and soft and the water was beautiful. The rest of the facility was very nice and well-maintained, although we never noticed the staff working on it (nice touch).

We took advantage of the shuttle to Atlantis - it was very convenient and it was a nice diversion.

Overall, what prevented us from giving this resort 5 stars is the slow service we experienced at Dune and at the pool. All other aspects of the resort were excellent and we would recommend the One and Only to friends. It was a very peaceful, relaxing place and when we wanted something a little more exciting, we went to the Atlantis.

Altamonte Springs, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We were extremely disappointed with our stay at the One & Only Ocean Club in May 2009. We have been here in the past, but we think it's declined. Perhaps because of all the media exposure for celebrity weddings, there are many weddings held here. We prefer privacy, and it is not that way anymore. The weddings really take over the property. The resort is just cranking out the weddings and not taking care of their guests. In the past, it was where people with money go. Now, it's people that are trying to act that way and put on a show. The service was horrible and unacceptable. Tips are automatically added onto the bill, so there is no incentive for good service. It's extremely slow (which I understand it's island time), but it was also very unfriendly and passive. There was no special service or attention. It's just not what you expect at this price. We won't be returning.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Stayed there for for a couple of nights back in 2005, after taking a flight over. Every hotel should be like this one. Set in paradise, the service, location, food, everything top notch!

Cannot wait until my next stay there..

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!