“A little tired for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
4th Night Complimentary
Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
London
“A little tired for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week before going on to Florida. Having had a wonderful stay at the One and Only in Mauritius, we had high expectations especially as this resort was considerably more expensive.

Sadly, we were left a little disappointed.

The rooms are tired - rather weak shower over a small bath, air conditioning sounded like a plane taking off (couldn't leave it on at night which meant mornings were uncomfortably warm).

Service generally good but dinner at Dune on the first night was unacceptably slow, especially as we had told the staff at the start that we had been travelling that day, were exhausted and wanted to go to bed soon.

Finally, the beach is average - Atlantis and its massive tower blocks are very nearby, so you don't get much of an impression of remoteness.

Finally, check your bill carefully!! There were mistakes on ours. In addition, there had also been a problem with charging to the room at the start of the trip. We noticed that the restaurants had our room number down incorrectly on the automatically-generated bill (although they had the right surname). Once this had happened a couple of times we went to reception to clear it up... Even though we had hand written the correct room number on the bills we signed, the staff hadn't altered this on the system so everything had been charged to the other room. Needless to say, it would have been a real mess if we hadn't noticed and pointed this out early.

A nice enough resort but unfortunately not one of the better ones in the One and Only collection.

• Stayed August 2013

459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

After 5 years, my husband and I returned to the one and only ocean club Bahamas. Everything exceeded our expectations! First and foremost, the staff... Friendly, genuine, truly go out of their way to make you happy.
The GM John Conway obviously knows how to run/maintain and even improve a luxury resort. He has his hand on the pulse and truly makes guests feel a warm welcome... At checkin, Dustin was so great!
One of the highlights of the trip is Dune Restaurant! We try to experience other restaurants at Atlantis but we keep coming back to Dune! Amazing! We love the "ribbons of tuna"! The conch salad is amazing too! Anthony, Anthony, Henry, Ralph, and all the staff are really wonderful!
Another highlight of the resort is the beach/ocean... Crystal clear ocean, and the beach staff are also very accommodating... Bringing water, full service menu, spritzing water, watermelon slices... Yum! Corey, James, and lifeguard Jamie all wonderful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from four wonderful days at the Ocean Club. This was our first experience at the Ocean Club and we will be returning. The hotel and grounds are meticulously kept and so beautiful. We stayed in the Hartford Wing and were upgraded upon arrival to an Oceanfront room. The Hartford Wing is the older of the two wings but honestly, it was more than fine for the two of us. We loved the patio which had two lounge chairs and still had enough space for a table and two chairs that we used to have breakfast a few mornings. We appreciated the upgrade and the ocean view.

The service is slow in the Bahamas in general and that's fine with us as we are on vacation and not in a hurry. Nelson, our butler was wonderful. It was such a treat to have that kind of
personalized service. The service at the beach was definitely lacking however. Not all chairs have flags and the attendents should have been walking around asking if anyone wanted service.

At night, we went up to Atlantis for dinner and the casino. We did eat at Dune once though. It was very good. I love their sticky rice in a banana leaf.

If you value peace and quiet, beautiful scenery, pristine beach, and the most comfortable bed and pillows in the free world, this is a place you will be more than happy with. I really don't see this as a place for children though. Mine would have been bored to tears here when they were young.

This will be our "go to" spot when we need a few days away from it all.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are really nice. We stayed in the Hartford Wing and found the room and patio perf...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

What else is there to say about the One and Only Ocean Club.....It's paradise on earth. The minute the gates open and you are greeted at the gate, you know you're somewhere very special. Winding your way up the serpentine driveway, you arrive at what appears to be someone' private home where you are ever so warmly greeted by the staff. Ushering you into the main reception area, the view ahead takes your breath away as you view the bluer than blue sparkling ocean ahead. The magic is only beginning! The staff are so warm and welcoming and remember you each time you visit. Watching my boys grow up over the years, their butler, Sean, has taken them each year on lizard hunts and bird watches and awaiting their return each year. This level of attention and care for our boys left my husband and I feeling ever so secure about letting them have some freedom as they grew older to respectfully and quietly walk this beautiful resort on their own. Our hardest decision each day was "should we hit the beach today, or should we lounge like lizards at the pool?" From the moment your eyes awaken on the cushy feather pillows till the time you place your sun drenched self back in that ever so comfy bed, it's a magical experience. If I could, I'd happily revisit on a regular basis and never feel like I was missing being somewhere else.

Room Tip: The Hartford wing is our favorite as it seems more reminiscent of wonderful eras gone by.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have stayed at many luxury hotels throughout the world and this was literally the most inconsistent property with regards to service. We arrived at the hotel at 4 and was told neither of our 2 oceanfront rooms were ready and would be ready at 5. Isn't check in time at 3? We were then told to get some lunch, so we proceeded to the bar at Dune. We ordered our food within minutes, however, the food did not come until 45 minutes later with no one checking back on our drink orders or to explain the delay. After complaining to the manager, he did the right thing by not charging us for our lunch, which we appreciated. We booked a snorkeling trip through the concierge. The only information he gave me was a verbal "be here by 8:15 and you will be picked up". That night before we ordered a wake up call and room service for the next day by putting our menu selections on our door as instructed. No wake up call. At all. Our room service menu had been taken off our door and the food was not there by the instructed time. When I called in room dining to find out where it was, no one answered. I was told by an operator that I would get a call back because she couldn't get in touch with them either. 30 minutes later we received our breakfast and hurriedly ate this to get to the front by 8:15 for our transportation to snorkeling. We told the doorman we were going on a snorkeling tour and sat there. No car. Finally after sitting there for 30 minutes the doorman went in to find out what happened. A car appeared and brought us to the snorkeling site. The communication is terrible. When checking for my messages, I was told that one of our messages was old, so I didn't need to hear it. When i pressed to find out what it was, I was met with attitude and resistance. She finally transferred me to the message center and I was able to get the message. One other thing I never figured out. I would press the button for direct contact to inroom dining, concierge, butler, messages but never got them directly and had to be transferred several times. Dinner at Dune our last night was wonderful. The restaurant manager was very friendly and accommodating, food was delicious and our service was great. The car service to and from Atlantis was also easy, the drivers were extremely friendly and it was never a long wait. I scheduled a massage at the spa and it was literally very mediocre. I got there 30 minutes early thinking I would use their facilities for steam and sauna. I checked in and the receptionist told me to have a seat. No offer of these facilities (which I guess they do not have) or robe. The massage was, at best, mediocre. I don't think she touched my shoulders once. Service on the beach was efficient and food was good. Overall, my husband and I were disappointed and frustrated with this resort. For the price tag the service definitely does not match up. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our stay actually got off to a bumpy start. Our room, while nicely outfitted, had a few problems with it. We'd made our reservation for an ocean-view room, what we got was a room that had its view largely obstructed by a hedge and the neighboring unit's porch. And on the opposite side, only our bedroom door separated us from the resort's outdoor restaurant and lounge. We also had a toilet that was running continuously, and a DVD player that wasn't working. When the hotel engineering staff tried fixing it, they ended up also losing the incoming signal, which rendered the TV non-functioning as well. We'd come to relax and spend some alone time together (it was our honeymoon), but so far, we hadn't relaxed much or spent much time alone in our room.

So why a 5-star rating? Because of what the resort staff did at this point, and thereafter, to make everything right for us.

We asked the manager if we might be able to change rooms, and when we explained why, she immediately set about looking for what else the resort had available. She quickly found a unit she could offer us - a larger suite, in a better location. We explained that we didn't really need anything larger, just one that matched what we'd reserved and where everything worked, but she insisted that the resort was happy to do this to ensure we were completely satisfied.

Were we ever! The new room had a gorgeous view of the ocean & beach, was considerably larger and even more luxurious, and where everything worked. The hotel staff even helped us move everything to the new room. The nicer room was just the kicker - what really impressed us was the responsiveness and attentiveness of their service. Even after the room debacle was solved, the staff continued to check on us, see if there was anything we needed, and looked after the little details that made it all personalized (like remembering us by name, or leaving us fresh flowers in our room.) When we checked out, the staff even gave us a small, hand-made gift to congratulate us on our marriage and to commemorate our stay.

The resort itself is as-advertised: a serene oasis on a fantastic piece of property, with high-quality facilities (we can personally vouch for the beach, the pool, the gardens, the dining, the golf, and the spa.) But it was the staff's level of service and response to our concerns that earns the One & Only Ocean Club a rave review from us!

Room Tip: If staying in the main building, second-floor rooms are more secluded from the hustle-&-bustle o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the One and Only for just one night as we had been island hopping earlier in the week. We were traveling for our 10 year anniversary and wanted to experience this luxury hotel because the reviews had been so wonderful. When we arrived, almost instantly we were treated poorly, my guess is because we weren't in designer clothing with designer luggage, etc. For what we paid for our hotel room, we deserved attention and respect. It shouldn't matter which room you have or how fancy you dress. We were constantly ignored when we went to the Dune restaurant while others around us were getting service with a smile. I ordered a healthy start breakfast ($31) and specifically asked for no onions in my egg white omelet. When the food arrived (30-45 min wait), it was made with egg whites and scallions and it was inedible. I would have complained to the waiter but he never came to check on us and we had to chase him down to get our check. Since the gratuity is included, there's no incentive for good service. The bottom line is that the One and Only was not worth the price, the food was terrible, the service was subpar, and overall it was one of the worst hotel experiences we've ever had. I would rather stay at Comfort Suites any day over this snobby establishment.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!