“Tranquility!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
London
“Tranquility!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The resort is set in the most beautiful grounds with manicured gardens, a huge (adults only) pool and easy access to a magnificent beach.

We stayed in the the Hartford wing on the ground floor and the room was super, very well appointed.

Dune restaurant overlooks the ocean and the food is good as is the The Courtyard.

Because the resort is so spread out you never feel crowded and compared with Atlantis (which you can visit via their complimentary shuttle) it is a place of tranquility; the kids club and kids pool keep children out of sight although I cannot understand why you would bring kids here when there is so much more for them to do at Atlantis.

The negatives are the attitude of the staff: the reception lady was offhand and their much vaunted butler service is a joke; on arrival you get a big speech about how they will refresh your fruit, bring ice and take care of your every need. The reality is that they are entirely reactive vs proactive and have to be chased for any kind of service. You also feel that the staff perpetually have their hands out for tips despite the 15% added to all bills. Failure to tip results in a scowl!

4 nights is plenty and mid week is better if you can avoid weekends when there is more pressure on facilities and restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for ground floor in the Hartford wing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hayward, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I just returned from a stay at the O&O.... The staff goes out of their way to be helpful. When spending this type of money for a room, I appreciate the small complimentary treats - tea, coffee, fruit, hats, water etc... I moved to the Atlantis after a few days and the move made me appreciate O&O all the more.
The grounds are beautiful, view stunning, food tasty. The rooms need updating but are clean and spacious. The tranquility of O&O can not be matched. I think I might prefer O&O over The Cove. It gives you a real laid back relaxing feel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked 3 ocean view suites at $1475 each per night. It is important to understand that on top of this rate is added 20% tax and an automatic gratuity. The $1475 becomes $1760 before you begin. We had booked last minute and had booked the room category that would be available for our early morning arrival. On arriving at the hotel at 7.30am all appeared good with this plan as the receptionist told us that the rooms were indeed unoccupied and Housekeeping would arrive at 9am to give them a 'check over'. As suggested we went over to Dunes Restaurant for breakfast.
Dunes is right on the waterfront and there is a choice of open tables with beach view, tables inside the airconditioned restaurant or inside tables by open windows. The food and the service on that morning was superb albeit expensive at $24 for a plate of fruit and $10 to $12 for a fruit juice. We went back to reception at 9.30am but then had to wait for many hours to get our room. The weak link of this hotel is the reception and office side and this became apparent early on. Having said that the rooms were beautiful, the resort is stunningly beautiful. The gardens are very well maintained. The staff are very vigorous about maintaining the exclusivity of the resort and on your first day you will be asked for ID everywhere you go. After the first day the staff remember you and you feel welcome. The restaurants at the resort are limited to just 2 in the evening. The Dune is superb but very busy, you definitely have to book. The other restaurant is the Courtyard but that is only open from Thursday to Sunday. It is a nice setting but the food is not as good as The Dune. Everything at the resort is horrendously expensive and there are no coffee machines in the suites. However, there is free coffee available at the Library bar from 7am to 11am and lemonade is available after that for most of the afternoon. The hotel provides the use of 2 SUVs for guests and these are worth using to get some additional value from your stay. My best advice would be to recommend that you check your bill carefully at the end of your stay. It took them 3 times to get the bill right and all of the errors were in their favour. If your room rate includes continental breakfast you need to make sure that when you have breakfast you deduct the value of the continental breakfast before you sign the bill otherwise it is quite a fight to get the bill corrected afterwards. Having moaned about the Admin this hotel is very good and people are friendly and welcoming. We will definitely go again when we need to stay somewhere in Nassau.

Room Tip: If you are booking as part of the Amex Centurion Promotion (as we were) book each night seperately...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our family of 4 including two children in their 20s went to the Ocean Club in early May 2013. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor carefully, as it always helps to know what to expect. The recurring theme I found in the reviews was that some people felt that the place was overpriced and the service was below par unless the workers were tipped. With that in mind, I took about $200 in five dollar bills on our trip. I decided that the trip was expensive; if a few dollars in tips made it more enjoyable, then it was worth it to me.
So here are my impressions:
The physical hotel- absolutely perfect for me. We couldn't afford the rooms in the newer wing of the hotel, but we were upgraded to them upon checkin. What a wonderful surprise. The hotel is only 2 stories high, which I love. I hate crowded high rise hotels. The Ocean Club is spread out, so nothing is ever crowded, and the grounds are peaceful and beautifully maintained.

Service- was impeccable. I don't have any complaints at all. Everyone was friendly and helpful and made our stay very relaxing and peaceful.

The ocean- we've been several places in the Caribbean, and I have never seen water prettier than this.
The only thing not perfect was the onsite restaurant, and I will do a separate review on that.
By the way, I only spent about $100 on tips during our 5 day stay.
I recommend the Ocean Club highly!

Room Tip: The newer wing is the way to go
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Much less busy than the nearby atlantis, but this worked perfectly for me as my girlfriend and I could enjoy a really romantic stay at the ocean club, and then head over to the atlantis if we wanted to party. Breakfast overlooking the ocean is one experience we will never forget. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, even had my butler organise an emergency dentist appointment for me and then he drove me over in his car and waited outside until I finished. I love this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

As we began to choose a spot to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, we almost overlooked the Ocean Club, mostly because we had been before, just to dine at their fabulous restaurant, Dune. Then, we quickly realized we had seen their gorgeous grounds while walking to the restaurant and perhaps this should be our destination for the week. We were not disappointed in our choice. We stayed in the newer of the two ocean front wings and loved our second floor room. Could not ask for more in a room. We had room service breakfast on our balcony everyday. What a peaceful luxury! We took turns spending our days between the gorgeous beach and the elegant pool. Though the pool does not look like one of those curvy, waterfall pools, we loved the quiet atmosphere there and spent more time in the pool than we ever have on a vacation, relaxing on provided floats.
The service from our butler was excellent and friendly. The pool service was also, excellent, offering to move umbrellas and chairs, and always find the perfect shaded spot for us. We dined at Dune 2 evening dinners and one lunch. All meals there were excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place was perfect for me. It was away from crowds and noise of Atlantis, but if you wanted to partake of any of the Atlantis activities you only need to ask the bellman to get the shuttle. The shuttle is a black SUV that drops you off at the Coral Tower in Atlantis. The staff was very friendly and I loved the champagne and strawberries in the room every night. The butler forgot to unpack my suitcase the first night, but apologizes and unpacked it swiftly the next morning while I at breakfast. Speaking of food, I only ate breakfast at the hotel, so I can't really comment on the restaurant. While I was eating breakfast, I spotted Cameron Diaz there filming the upcoming movie "The Other Woman". When I returning from an outing there were "movie people" all over the lobby. This did bother me as I found it kind of fun.

Room Tip: I had a beach front room, 1030 I think. it was right next to the restaurant. Luckily the restauran...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!